Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Classes? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classes?  (Read 12862 times)
WayAbvPar

on: August 07, 2006, 02:20:32 PM

What are you folks leaning towards for your first character? It would be nice if we could get some sort of balance to make an F13 fellowship useful. After perusing the FAQ and reading about the different classes, I am leaning toward one of the following-

1) Minstrel- I have always been a sucker for bard classes since the 1st Edition D&D days. Downside is they are usually underpowered and hard to play effectively (in other games, obviously).

2) Hunter- I  Heart Heart Heart some ranged combat. Unfortunately I think this is gonna be chockful of Legolas wannabes and grossly overplayed.

3) Loremaster- Great name for a class. Not sure how it will play- sounds almost like a combat-specced D&D cleric. Might be fun.

Anyone else?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:26:33 PM

Probably a champion for some turbo-ginsu melee action.  Then probably a fruity bard.

I'll be really amazed if they can make this class what the light melee tanks in Dark Age never were in my day.  IE, viable.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:38:37 PM

I want to play a chef.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:19:07 PM

I want to be a chef, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:54:53 PM

I want to play a chef.
You sure you wouldn't rather be a gardener?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:58:36 PM

Adventuring options are somwhat limited for gardeners.  Unless you limit yourself to plants you can carry with you, like bonsai.  Or maybe hydroponics.

(edit) Though seriously, if a game came out that let me play a gardener, and it wasn't a complete grindfest, I'd be all over it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:00:35 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 05:07:15 PM

I was planning on growing a few acres of pipeweed and smuggling it across the border into Rohan.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:09:18 PM

(edit) Though seriously, if a game came out that let me play a gardener, and it wasn't a complete grindfest, I'd be all over it.
Harvest Moon?
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 05:10:19 PM

Damn, that sounds great.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:25:23 PM

Harvest Moon?

Less farming and more gardening.  And more multiplayer.  I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to do planting and landscaping around one's house in a MMOG.

I also like Righ's idea.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:28:54 PM

Adventuring options are somwhat limited for gardeners. 
I don't know, one of them trekked all the way from the Shire to Mordor...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 05:42:23 PM

Yes.  As a chef.  He didn't do a lot of gardening on the way, but he did do all the cooking and rationing.

Hence me saying I wanted to play a chef.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 05:53:34 PM

Yes.  As a chef.  He didn't do a lot of gardening on the way, but he did do all the cooking and rationing.

Hence me saying I wanted to play a chef.

Right, he considered himself a chef.  That's why Galadriel gave him an elvish frying pan.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 07:14:26 PM

I wondered how long it would be until someone started quoting lore.  12 posts and before the server opens...not too bad :D
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:12 PM

Harvest Moon?
Less farming and more gardening.  And more multiplayer.  I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to do planting and landscaping around one's house in a MMOG.
Oh, how about FF XI then? No landscaping in that, though -- you can only grow stuff in pots (from what I remember).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 09:04:50 PM

Lore-master.  No reason, really, except that I remember how everyone loved enchanters in EQ.  And hated halflings.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 09:05:35 PM

Adventuring options are somwhat limited for gardeners.  Unless you limit yourself to plants you can carry with you, like bonsai.  Or maybe hydroponics.

ATITD has flower breeding and a little bit of landscaping.

Oh wait, you said not a complete grindfest.

Sorry dude.

Edit: As for class, I'm undecided. I'll pick something on a whim when I make a character. Which is likely to be tomorrow, since Tuesday is a bar night for me. Meaning Legolass will ride again.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:26:01 PM

Most likely I'll end up being a Burglar.  Human, I think.  LOTR elves don't really suit burgling.

Though I'll probably want to try out the Minstrel, and I'm curious about most of the other classes.

But frankly, I don't even know how often I can be online at this point.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 10:27:49 PM

ATITD has flower breeding and a little bit of landscaping.

Oh wait, you said not a complete grindfest.

Sorry dude.

Yeah, I was really excited about ATitD until I found out what the gameplay was like.   tongue

Llava
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 10:33:42 PM

Found this

Towards the end of the article, there's a table with very brief explanations of the (current) goals for each class.

So I think I'll probably be sticking to the Burglar angle.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 11:49:48 PM

All those classes look pretty interesting.  I'm leaning toward Loremaster (I like CC classes, although they look very group oriented), Captain (although I'm having Warden flash-backs), or Guardian (a convenient excuse for being a dwarf).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:26 AM

Found this

Towards the end of the article, there's a table with very brief explanations of the (current) goals for each class.

So I think I'll probably be sticking to the Burglar angle.
Nice chart. Too bad the class descriptions in the FAQ only have a vague resemblance to that. I also see they are going the EQ2 route and making Burglars the primary conjunction-starter. I wanted to try something with healing skills since healers are usually always in demand and since the Minstrel (which is apparently the primary healing class even though the FAQ makes absolutely no mentioned of it) and the Loremaster (which is described in the FAQ as the primary healer but apparently is not) already have people interested in them I'll probably give the Captain a try as my first character. Plus that'll give me an excuse to not restrain my natural tendency to boss people around in MMORPGs groups (yes I do know how to play the game better than you do...).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 10:21:55 AM

LOTR elves don't really suit burgling.

They like to burgle turds, I hear.  Is there some place where the races are detailed?  I have not really decided, leaning toward ent.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 10:23:38 AM

Llava's link talks about the classes and races a bit. Human, Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 10:47:11 AM

No barrow-wight, then.

I am just being silly.  Will probably be an elf.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 10:58:58 AM

There was a guy in my D&D campaign many years ago who kept asking if he could play a Beorning.  It wasn't even an LotR-themed campaign.

WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:17 AM

Where did you hide his body?

I didn't realize that Minstrels were considered the primary healing class. Bleah. I might have to rethink that.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 11:53:18 AM

I'm thinking I might be a hobbit minstrel.  That or a harman loremaster with a hobbit name.  I like hobbit names.

Where did you hide his body?

The punishments I inflicted on him have become the stuff of legends.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 11:54:51 AM

alrite, so i just read teh page u linked, and it says there is no wizard class lol that sux i wanted to be Gandolf lol if they publish without wizes teh game is gonna suck lol

evil

Llava
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 11:57:37 AM

Personally, I want a ringwraith class/race.

WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 12:05:35 PM

alrite, so i just read teh page u linked, and it says there is no wizard class lol that sux i wanted to be Gandolf lol if they publish without wizes teh game is gonna suck lol

evil

Dear God- poor Righ has been infected with Vault Boardism! Someone get him a dictionary and a spellchecker, stat!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 01:45:25 PM

This is why I was hoping someone else would just tell me about races instead of making me read an official doc.  The boards, they smell like Comic Book Guy and Hippie Mom already, and these will be remembered as the Golden Days.

Edit: A poster named Lactacia is someone I find hard to take seriously.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 03:37:31 PM

evil

Dear God- poor Righ has been infected with Vault Boardism! Someone get him a dictionary and a spellchecker, stat!

You couldn't make this stuff up, apparently:

http://vnboards.ign.com/lotr_online_general_board/b5042/98222358/p1/?8

WayAbvPar

Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 04:24:42 PM

Heh awesome. Although I think that was a fake VN page- I saw far too many correctly spelled and used words there.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Classes?  
Jump to: