Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: David Bowman Talks About Selling That... umm... you know... Game. And Whatnot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Bowman Talks About Selling That... umm... you know... Game. And Whatnot.  (Read 3435 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: August 03, 2006, 06:42:17 PM

Horizons: Empire of Istaria Sale Interview
We question David Bowman about EI Interactive's recent acquisition of the fantasy online world from Tulga Games

July 31, 2006 - From birth, Dragons possess exceptional strength and size plus a natural breath weapon. These qualities give them the potential to become truly fearsome fighters, even more so when they mature and learn to fly. However, they are certainly not restricted to becoming warriors since they can also achieve considerable expertise in the magical arts. In Horizons: Empire of Istaria, these storied creatures are available as a playable race; their inclusion constitutes one of the persistent state world's distinguishing features. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes are familiar fantasy archetypes, while Half-Giants, Fiends, the feline Saris and the reptilian Sslik represent less common options. Satyrs and Dryads are also unusual, partly because they were unlocked through the players' efforts. All are united against a common foe, the necromantic Withered Aegis, whose undead armies constantly threat along the frontiers of the civilized lands.

Another notable element is the title's comprehensive crafting system. Skilled practitioners can fashion a broad range of weapons such as swords, axes, maces, daggers, bows and more by combining various components. For example, a knife is made by joining a blade plus a hilt, with greater proficiency affording more options. As well, a character who has mastered the appropriate techniques can add diverse runes, fire, visual effects and decorations like tassels. Recently, our attention was drawn to the endeavor for another reason, one not directly related to the play experience, when it was announced that EI Interactive had acquired it from Tulga Games. Having followed Horizons since the day it was first announced, we were eager to know about the deal and what it would mean for the player community, so we arranged to question the latter company's David Bowman.

Jonric: Regarding the recent announcement that EI Interactive has acquired Horizons, what attracted the company to buy it, and why was Tulga Games willing to sell?

David Bowman: I'll start with the second part of the question and work back to the first. Tulga Games originally purchased Horizons from Artifact Entertainment. Horizons had many problems that the team had been working through methodically in order to reach a point where subscriptions would steadily increase and we could become cash flow positive. Our low point in subscribers was in May of 2005, and we had seen slow but steady increases that amounted to a 50-percent growth up until the sale of Horizons to EI Interactive.

The biggest obstacle from Tulga's perspective was understanding exactly what EI Interactive wished to do with Horizons. Yes, they wanted to buy it, but what did they want to do with it?

Our investor was providing us with the money to operate Horizons during this period, but even though our monthly burn was shrinking, made a decision to attempt to sell Horizons in the spring of 2006. His representatives found a buyer in EI Interactive, and by two weeks ago, they provided terms that the investor felt were fair and in the best interest of Tulga Games. Since the investor was no longer willing to invest more money in Horizons, it made sense for me to agree to sign the deal so that it would have a stable, excited company to continue to grow the subscribers. This is the best choice for the players.

You'll need to ask EI Interactive to get the complete story on their interest, but it seems evident to me that buying a growing MMO with six years of development is a great opportunity for a company that wants to succeed in the online entertainment business. I know that several of the people from EI Interactive had played or were playing Horizons at the time of the purchase.

Jonric: How did the process go that ultimately led to the agreement? What were the major obstacles that both sides had to surmount?

David Bowman: While I mentioned that our investor started the sales process in the spring, it wasn't until E3 this May that we first met with EI Interactive. A consultant for the investor brought EI Interactive to the E3 meeting. Due to their brief available time at E3, our first meeting was short and terse, and we didn't reach much agreement other than to continue to explore a relationship. The investor's representatives pursued this relationship, and EI Interactive began their due diligence, and over the month of June, sporadic communication occurred. By July, we were in much more active communication and were negotiating the terms of a contract.

The biggest obstacle from Tulga's perspective was understanding exactly what EI Interactive wished to do with Horizons. Yes, they wanted to buy it, but what did they want to do with it? At the time of negotiations, our interpretation of their intent was that they would treat Horizons in much the same manner as their other property, Savage Eden, with an operational staff responsible for customer support and GM- / volunteer-led events. As we went through the negotiations and up to today, we were able to explain the need for development, not just operations, and EI has responded within a growing appreciation for the complexity that development entails.

Jonric: What has happened to the development team? Did any members move to EI as part of the purchase agreement?

David Bowman: Horizons was the sole source of revenue for Tulga Games. When Horizons' ownership was changed, there was no more revenue. The majority of the team was let go as of the signing of the contract, with two being retained specifically to help with EI's transition to reach their stated goals. The length of the transition is a contractual matter, so I cannot discuss it. We recommended strongly and repeatedly that EI hire the entire team.

Jonric: Will EI continue to develop Horizons? And what about the Settlements expansion announced in May?

David Bowman: EI has chosen to not discuss development plans that they might have at this time and I cannot provide that information. The Settlements was still only in the planned implementation stage at the time of acquisition, but they have all rights to pursue its development if they wish.

I hope that if you haven't tried Horizons, you will - and if you haven't tried it in a while, you should try it again.

Jonric: How about the in-game customer service? What differences might players encounter in this area? Will they see any changes to the billing process?

David Bowman: Since the crossover last week, EI Interactive has taken on responsibility for customer service and support. I do know that EI Interactive sees itself as a very pro-customer company, and they have repeatedly stated to us that they intend to set high standards for that portion of running an online service.

I can't comment on EI's future plans for billing, but we've assisted even beyond the terms of the contract in helping them maintain the current billing until they can finalize their own plans.

Jonric: How will the players benefit from the game's change in ownership? And does the deal make Horizons any more or less attractive to those who might be considering it?   

David Bowman: Horizons has become a fun game. If you join it today, you will find a world worth the subscription and a great group of players. Horizons has been plagued by concerns over business stability, and one thing I have learned about EI is that they are stable as a business. This should provide Horizons with a chance to grow further. I recommend that anyone interested in a unique fantasy experience try Horizons' free trial and make up their own minds.

Jonric: What is the status of Dark World Online? What is your situation with respect to funding to develop it?

David Bowman: Tulga is currently focused on helping EI's transition and on seeking others interested in licensing the Evolution Engine. Dark World Online is no longer feasible for Tulga Games without outside funding.

Jonric: Since you noted that Tulga has retained the Evolution technology, how marketable is it as a package?

David Bowman: The Evolution Engine is a proven, stable server platform upon which Horizons was built. It has a great suite of tools, and a library of logic available for the development of a wide variety of simulations and MMOs. As a developer of persistent worlds, I personally wouldn't want to work on any other platform. It is definitely marketable, and we are speaking with a number of different companies about licensing / purchase opportunities.

Jonric: What's ahead for David Bowman? Will you be staying with Tulga, and do you plan to continue working in the online world genre?

David Bowman: I'm staying with Tulga Games through the transition of Horizons, at least. There are many things about developing for it that only I know, and I'm doing my best to make sure that EI learns those things.

In the future, I will be making more persistent world experiences. Horizons would not exist today if I had not been persistent, and most of the features that players enjoy are due to my ideas for construction, crafting, multi-schooling, Dragon rites of passage and maturation, land ownership, guild communities and others. I would lose part of my soul if I couldn't continue to help bring into existence experiences that entertain, that help form communities and friendships.

Jonric: To finish up, is there anything else you'd like to tell our readers at t this time about the game you created?

David Bowman: I've spent the past five years of my life making sure that Horizons came into existence and developed to its potential. I hope that if you haven't tried Horizons, you will - and if you haven't tried it in a while, you should try it again.

We have seen quite a bit of feedback that would support the contention Horizons has improved with age, so if you're looking for a new online world to play, it may well be a worthy option to consider, especially if you'd like to be a Dragon or if you're deeply into crafting. As for the game's recent change of ownership from Tulga Games to EI Interactive, we thank the former company's David Bowman for providing his insights in this interview.

-- Richard Aihoshi - 'Jonric'

Source:  http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/721/721974p1.html

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:01:46 PM

David Allen just poured himself a drink.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:55:49 PM

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:36:54 AM

In the future, I will be making more persistent world experiences. Horizons would not exist today if I had not been persistent, and most of the features that players enjoy are due to my ideas for construction, crafting, multi-schooling, Dragon rites of passage and maturation, land ownership, guild communities and others. I would lose part of my soul if I couldn't continue to help bring into existence experiences that entertain, that help form communities and friendships.

So a persistent world is one in which David Bowman persists in telling fibs?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: David Bowman Talks About Selling That... umm... you know... Game. And Whatnot.  
Jump to: