Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Cant Put My Finger On It 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant Put My Finger On It  (Read 34327 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: August 02, 2006, 12:35:19 PM

I cant put my finger on it, but there is some thing about this game that is just not that much fun. I beat the game on normal difficulty, and I have no desire to play any more. It just isnt that fun. Maybe its the fact that the first act, which is by far the longest, is very boring and plain to me.
Maybe it is my character build that isnt so fun.

I cant figure it out, but I just have no desire to play this game any more. I tried starting a new character, but the prospect of limping through act1 just made me want to hit exit.

Any one else have the same feelings about TQ now?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:20 PM

Not about TQ, but that's exactly how I feel about Jade Empire.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:09:41 PM

Titan Quest was kind of odd, I started out really liking it and thinking that it was great but by the time I got to China my mood had changed to "I just need to finish this damn game so I can stop playing".  There is no way I will play it through again on elite.

I thought maybe I was bored because I created a slayer so I used an editor to spawn some level 65s of different classes to see if it renewed my urge to play, it didn't.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:43:37 PM

Lack of ramdom maps.

"Me am play gods"
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:02:43 PM

Or maybe we're just mostly past the point where such clickfest games can really be fun?

I beat the game on the normal difficulty with my Assassin. I just don't see the point of playing through again.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 03:07:39 PM

I liked it enough to play through it a couple times each month. Also, the maps feel frickin huge - that sorta made me meh about it.

Yegolev - I stopped caring about Jade Empire pretty much immediately after I found out the combat was responsive about 1/10th of the time.
Strazos

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 03:09:06 PM

Titan Quest and Jade Empire - two games whose final bosses I inadvertantly cheesed to death.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:09:58 PM

Felt the same way a few weeks ago. Not sure why I bought it in the first place. I'm not a big Diablo fan either.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:20:41 PM

You bought it because you're a sheep.

BAHHHHHHHHHHH
BAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stray, embrace the PS2. Screw this PC shit.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 03:29:49 PM

Ahem.

I bought it because of YOUR review. :D

*sniff* I trusted you man. Now you kick me down and call me a sheep.

Have a PS2 though, of course. I'm just a little burned out with everything at the moment as well. I do embrace it though. It's getting to the point where my PC won't run shit anyways.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 03:37:55 PM

I like a large variety of games. Most people don't. It's ok to trust me, but ya know...

Quote from: Stray
I'm not a big Diablo fan either.

Quote from: Frontpage
Review: Diablo 2.75: Titan Quest
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 03:41:51 PM

Yeah, but you were like

Ended up being better than Diablo 1 & 2, or even 1+2. At its heart, it really is Diablo 3.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 04:02:11 PM

Enemy AI is very easy to predict. Even D2's AI was better.

None of the bosses really work right.

Game is too easy / unbalanced.

Crashes pissed me off so I had less patience than I normally would.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 04:25:37 PM

Yeah, but you were like

Ended up being better than Diablo 1 & 2, or even 1+2. At its heart, it really is Diablo 3.

More like Diablo 2 - 1
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:32:42 PM

Yeah, but you were like

Which is still Diablo.

At the rate you Diablo-lovers are having a falling-out with this title, I'm so very very glad I didn't buy it.  I'd have hated myself for ages and probably not made it through the first act..

Sad fact that it was the only PC game I was even partially interested in, though.  PC gaming: Pretty dead to me.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 05:12:02 PM

Yeah, but you were like

Which is still Diablo.

I know. I'm just fucking with him.

Anywho...Not sure if PC gaming is entirely dead to me. I'm kinda looking forward to Darkstar One (Trailer), which is coming out in a week or so. Space shooter ala Freelancer/Privateer. Wing Commander was the kind of thing that got me into PC games in the first place (that and Adventure games). Hope it's not like X2.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:20:51 PM by Stray »
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 06:19:39 PM

I admitedly arrived late to the party, having showed up just after 1.11 went live, but I've enjoyed it.  It's not crashed, it's got some laggy spots, but so do most games I play.  The story is deeper than D2/D1, mechanics make somewhat more sense, characters are more flexible... it's all around an improvement.

I begin to wonder if the reason I'm the only one still really interested is that I came late so I avoided bugs, and I'm not a big PC/console gamer lately, so I came to it with a cleaner opinion.  I think it's good to occasionally take a break from things you do all the time, so to better appreciate them when you return.  Gaming burnout, or something.  That's my theory.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 07:05:14 PM

I still play.  This is the first single player game I have gotten into in a loooong time.  Its nice to pop in, do something, tap pause, and do whatever RL shit I need to do. 

I was one of the disapointed people with "Epic" mode, until I said "Fuck it" and ran past the boring stuff.  Its gotten much better since :D.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 07:15:06 PM

Im still playing, im still making alts, just a heads up there are mods that allow potion stacking, and now a vault mod for transferring drops. Yet I agree on the something missing post. Still its a well crafted game. I just cant find a groove. Ive a terion toon that can blase through anything. And Ive tried and tried to get a melee toon that can actually play.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 07:50:04 PM

I cant put my finger on it, but there is some thing about this game that is just not that much fun. I beat the game on normal difficulty, and I have no desire to play any more. It just isnt that fun. Maybe its the fact that the first act, which is by far the longest, is very boring and plain to me.

I cant figure it out, but I just have no desire to play this game any more. I tried starting a new character, but the prospect of limping through act1 just made me want to hit exit.

I'm playing through it again with a second character on Normal but I understand where you are coming from. The game is competently made (ignoring the technical issues) but has enough questionable design decisions to keep it from being a great game. My main beef is that the action in the game is just too slow. I *wanted* a Diablo II-style clickfest with monsters packed edge to edge on the screen and the game is nowhere near that level.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 08:52:18 PM

I'm playing through it again with a second character on Normal but I understand where you are coming from. The game is competently made (ignoring the technical issues) but has enough questionable design decisions to keep it from being a great game. My main beef is that the action in the game is just too slow. I *wanted* a Diablo II-style clickfest with monsters packed edge to edge on the screen and the game is nowhere near that level.

I admit there, so far, don't seem to be bloody foothills-style 'wall2wall mobs' areas... but then, they'd prolly kill you if there were, or just be boring to grind thru, just like they were in D2.  Tho, I'll reserve more judgements on it until I've actually played my way thru.  Still in begining of egypt.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 09:19:06 PM

I'm almost to the end of the first chapter/act/whatever and I'm really really liking this game. The key to enjoying I think is not to expect it to be Diablo 2 in every conceivable way, just enjoy the parts that it liberally cribs from the series.

I think the thing that will hurt this game's replay ability for me is the lack of randomness. I don't need a completely non-linear ugly mess randomly generated for me, but Diablo 2's pseudo-randomness would have been nice.

As for melee characters, my Warfare/Defense toon is doing just dandy so far. I'm doing my traditional lazy melee build where I go for almost nothing but passive skills. I have onslaught or whatever set as my primary attack and that's the extent of my usable abilties. All the rest is passive. Works quite well by the way.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 09:40:32 PM

My War/Def is mostly passive, too (and Onslaught as primary attack of course) but that shield-whack skill that adds slow is very, very useful.  It does a fuckton more damage than the description led me to think it would, too.  Still, I moved some stuff around with TQVault and when I was checking on my inventories I was feeling "Meh, not tonight".  I'll be installing Arx Fatalis again in a few minutes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 09:47:24 PM

I'm almost to the end of the first chapter/act/whatever and I'm really really liking this game. The key to enjoying I think is not to expect it to be Diablo 2 in every conceivable way, just enjoy the parts that it liberally cribs from the series.

I think the thing that will hurt this game's replay ability for me is the lack of randomness. I don't need a completely non-linear ugly mess randomly generated for me, but Diablo 2's pseudo-randomness would have been nice.

As for melee characters, my Warfare/Defense toon is doing just dandy so far. I'm doing my traditional lazy melee build where I go for almost nothing but passive skills. I have onslaught or whatever set as my primary attack and that's the extent of my usable abilties. All the rest is passive. Works quite well by the way.

Battle standard is pure love.  And the warfare summons.  Get them.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 10:25:43 PM

It's okay.  Games are always the most fun in the beginning.  I haven't bothered for a bit, but then I've been busy-ish.  I reckon it'll be fun again when Righ and I play together.  He so cute.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:17 PM

Yes, lost interest after playing it through in Epic as well. Dabbling a bit in Legendary, got bored. Killed the Boss in Epic a few times to get better loot, but ultimately didn't care enough why I should need that better loot.

But its ok, I got about the same amount of gametime I get with most other single player games.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:35 PM

It's a decent game but it doesn't have the replay value of Diablo.  It just isn't as challenging and the loot isn't as cool.  I also think the game should have just focused on Greek mythology and varied up the mobs a little bit (and gotten rid of shit like spiders, birds, and boars).
Strazos

Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 05:15:01 AM

My melee build is mostly passive too - lots of dual wield skills, rogue's main attack skills. The only other activated things I have are my permanent buffs, the battle standard (luv), and flash powder (also luv).

Fear the Backstab!
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 06:32:41 AM

Still playing it and liking it.  I have one char in epic and 2 almost done with normal.  I think I have 3 others below level 15 though.

I'll admit it again, I'm an altaholic. 

Yes, the maps are all the same and that gets pretty boring, but I'm still digging the random loot aspect mostly.  I think it is filling the need I've had for it while playing WoW for so long.  I actually get stuff after only playing 30 minutes.

In the end, that is my favorite part of the game.  I can play it for 15 minutes or 2 hours.  I can pause it.  I can stop whenever and wherever I want.  I can have as many alts as I want.  Blah blah.  I guess I'm just enjoying everything TQ has that MMOG's don't right now.  I'll burn out eventually, but still fun for me.
StGabe
Terracotta Army

Bruce without the furry.

Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 06:34:11 PM

Playing it as a Hunter/Rogue I found it to be a not quite-as-good-as-D2 sequel to D2.

It's just not as fast and furious and there isn't enough variety in enemies.  There's fast enemies that I kite and slow enemies which I kill before they reach me.  The skills are interesting and in some respects broader because of the double-spec mechanic but all-in-all I found that coming up with different Javazon or Bowazon builds in D2 was a lot more interesting.

I get some new equipment and ... that's cool ... but it's pretty hard for me to see it having any actual effect on my play.  So I don't even care that much about pings.

I'll probably finish it and perhaps even play a bit longer (at my current pace of play that will take a month or two) but it just doesn't have the zing for me that I'd hoped it would after reading "Diablo 2.75".

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 08:09:05 PM

The only reason the replay value wasn't there for me is because not too long ago, I played the shit out of Fate. And not long before that, I played the shit out of D2.

Basically, D2 is a problem for the genre. I went back to it so many times that even if a game is better (which IMO, Titan Quest is), I'm already tired of it.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 05:19:25 PM

Having mucked around with the demo a bit, I'd have to say that Diablo 2 is a little bit deeper than Titan Quest and with a less kludgy feeling interface.  TQ is, however, much prettier (3d and with more than 640x480 res) and not a bad contender in the Diablo Clone field, perhaps second to the big D2 itself.  If TQ is the better game, I'd have to say technology had more to do with it than design.

Then there's the school of thought that perhaps Guild Wars is the evolution of Diablo.  I'll levy about 50% agreement with that school of thought, 50% its a different game entirely.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:23:57 PM by geldonyetich »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 06:17:30 AM

I'm midway through Egypt and feeling out of steam.  Took a break to do some mining and craft grinding in WoW.  I know, been that kind of Summer,
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 09:26:16 AM

I started to play the demo.  Only being able to choose a male toon put me off.  The game didn't grab me.  In fact, I haven't even finished the demo.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 10:00:22 AM

I started to play the demo.  Only being able to choose a male toon put me off.  The game didn't grab me.  In fact, I haven't even finished the demo.

I had the demo and never finished it.  I ended up playing through the game twice now though.   

It's a good game but I stopped playing in the middle of act I on legendary.  The cool loot just wasn't there.

Vex
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Cant Put My Finger On It  
Jump to: