Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Engrish Rives! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Engrish Rives!  (Read 11226 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: August 01, 2006, 03:23:49 AM

Engrish Rives!

Sometimes I just can't help myself. Taken from a screencap at GT (obviously), the new Eureka Seven PS2 game is either abusing or is part of the phenomenon. You never know anymore.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:00:57 AM

It's inevitabre.

Things are inevitabrey going to change.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
CadetUmfer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:33:34 AM

So...looks like someone remade TrickStyle?

Anthony Umfer
Developer, LiftOff Studios
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:29 PM

Durr...what is GT?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:45:34 PM

Strazos

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:28:24 PM

Ah, right-o.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:57:15 PM

I never quite grasped why the Japanese transpose their L's and R's.  You'd think since these people are porting their products for an English-speaking demographic, they'd invest a little more effort  (see: any effort) into translating their products a little better for said customer-base. 
Though I suppose the current baka-gaijin ("stupid foreigner" - a favoured term I've seen many Japanese refer to American tourists as) trend to feverishly devour all sorts of excrement from Japan makes this point rather moot.   If it's got flashy colours, doe-eyed bimbos equipped with huge cans and makes absolutely no sense -- it's a hit in the U.S so the perversion of the language ensues unabated. 

Note to the Japanese: Americans don't need help anally-raping the English language, they have enuff a'dat azz-izz, dog! Know what I'm sayin' G?

Whatever the case: Boku wa kichiku beihei! Eta Nihon!

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 11:08:50 PM

I never quite grasped why the Japanese transpose their L's and R's.

Because L's and R's are both "liquid" phonemes -- that is, they're both produced by pushing air along the sides of the tongue.  In Japanese there is only one liquid phoneme, which is R.  Hence, some native Japanese speakers will try to make an "L" sound and come up with an "R", since that's the closest phoneme that exists in Japanese.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 04:26:01 PM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:58:58 AM

I never quite grasped why the Japanese transpose their L's and R's.

Because L's and R's are both "liquid" phonemes -- that is, they're both produced by pushing air along the sides of the tongue.  In Japanese there is only one liquid phoneme, which is R.  Hence, some native Japanese speakers will try to make an "L" sound and come up with an "R", since that's the closest phoneme that exists in Japanese.

That's actually really interesting...but I can't help but think that it doesn't provide the whole explanation.  I live in Denmark, and have essentially become fluent in the spoken language.  Some of their vowel sounds are BRUTALLY hard (for an American, at least) to sound out, probably for very similar reasons as you describe above.

But that problem is almost completely unrelated to my ability to properly spell the words that I have difficulty pronouncing.  In fact, I dare say that my struggle in sounding them out correctly actually enhances my ability to spell them correctly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Strazos

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 04:43:18 AM

The iconographic alphabets may also have something to do with it...

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 09:15:55 AM

But that problem is almost completely unrelated to my ability to properly spell the words that I have difficulty pronouncing.  In fact, I dare say that my struggle in sounding them out correctly actually enhances my ability to spell them correctly.

I feel that the basic answer is simply cheap and lazy translators.  I also expect you get different results depending on what the native language of the translator is, since I can often spot a simple "that should be L" situation.  I wish I could come up with a recent example I saw, but I just can't remember it.

To my ears, however, the JP R sounds somewhere between L and R, so if you don't understand the context you might go either way.  Interestingly, the Pimsleur CD has you pronouncing D in a word like "wakari" so it is more like "wakadi".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 06:14:51 PM

I think the Japanese R is rolled a bit; I was actually going to mention the rolled R as an example of a phoneme that English speakers commonly have trouble with.  I myself can't roll an R properly and usually fudge it by saying something that sounds a lot like a D.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 08:38:16 PM

I think the Japanese R is rolled a bit; I was actually going to mention the rolled R as an example of a phoneme that English speakers commonly have trouble with.  I myself can't roll an R properly and usually fudge it by saying something that sounds a lot like a D.
Yes, I remember all the debates on Usenet about how to pronounce "Ryu" from SF II.

Edit: spelling for teh win!
Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 12:48:16 AM

That's correct.  Being a reformed linguistics major, this was the stuff we spent our first semester on.  Basically, any given language only uses a certain subset of the total sounds that the human mouth can produce.  In Japan, there is no "L" sound as we have in English.  The closest they have is the phoneme R (which, as noted above, is not exactly the same as our r.  They actually have different symbols in the International Phonetic Alphabet, but I don't know how to make my keyboard spit them out), which is also a a liquid phoneme.  So L's become R's.  In fact, our [r] is a relatively rare phoneme in the languages of the world.  It's possible to train yourself to learn to use a sound not used in your native language, but it can be quite difficult, as phonemes become fairly permanently set in our minds at a very young age.  Interestingly, babies do not have this restriction at birth.  When they first begin babbling, cooing, etc., they are essentially taking their vocal tract out for a spin -- seeing what it can do.  However, within a couple years the sounds become restricted to those  used in the  language (or languages, in a multilingual household) they are exposed to.  It's difficult to overcome this initial hardwiring of our brains, but it can sometimes be done.  The two main factors in this process are the age at which you attempt to learn the new sounds, and your motivation for doing so.  Also, some people just seem to be intrinsically better at it than others.

There are also dozens of sounds used in other languages not used in English.  For example, German has the voiceless velar fricative {x} (not to be confused with our letter x -- {x} is the international phonetic symbol for this sound), where you shunt air through a tight space near your velum.  It kind of sounds like your choking.  This is the sound that is at the end of the word Bach, in German, for example.  However, as we do not have this sound in our English repetoire, we replace it with the closest thing we do have, the voiceless velar stop [k] (this basically does correspond to our letter k).  So that's how you get the Bach you hear in English.

Err. yeah.  Basically Samwise was right, and I reminded myself why I switched majors.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 12:54:01 AM by Zar »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 06:33:45 AM

I'm a pretty good mimic and can do a few language tricks. I think it's because I was always keeping my ears open when I was a kid. I was just saying to a coworker that it'd be cool to do an old Howlin' Wolf song in Wolf's voice. But I took german in high school and could emulate native sounds pretty well, even if my teacher had to keep asking me to stop barking like an SS officer. I can roll r's pretty well...but I can also purr like a cat ;) I can also do subsaharan glottal stops and clicks! Of course, practicing these things always draws some odd looks, and some days I'll get 'stuck' on an accent which can get really odd, heh. It's the basis of my musical ear, as well. The ear for hearing chord quality is kinda like hearing subtle lingual differences.

It's more than just the act of speaking, kids lose the ability to hear some subtleties of language that they aren't constantly exposed to, as Zar points out. I just saw a great documentary on that, where they were playing two vowels for people, and a lot of them sounded the same, but native speakers could easily identify them. Cool stuff.
Strazos

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 08:46:09 AM

Heh...if Bach is not really {Bah-K}....then I have no idea how to really say it.

Also, I can fake French and Italian alright....I can say what I read (generally), but I have no idea what I am actually reading/saying most of the time.

I really wish I was better with languages.  cry

Fear the Backstab!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:29 AM

That's correct.  Being a reformed linguistics major, this was the stuff we spent our first semester on.

I never got further than the first semester, but that's still enough to make one look like an expert now and then.  Random electives ftw!   :-D

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

My nephew stuck it out and now lives in Japan and teaches Chinese to white folk.  Figure that one out.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 09:33:03 AM

If you were my aunt I would move to China too?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 09:42:50 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 09:54:40 AM

If you were my aunt I would move to China too?

That is a terrible thing to say!   cry   I AM A WONDERFUL AUNT! 

I don't know why you think I'm mean.  I'm not.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 02:30:22 PM

I'm a pretty good mimic and can do a few language tricks. I think it's because I was always keeping my ears open when I was a kid. I was just saying to a coworker that it'd be cool to do an old Howlin' Wolf song in Wolf's voice. But I took german in high school and could emulate native sounds pretty well, even if my teacher had to keep asking me to stop barking like an SS officer. I can roll r's pretty well...but I can also purr like a cat ;) I can also do subsaharan glottal stops and clicks! Of course, practicing these things always draws some odd looks, and some days I'll get 'stuck' on an accent which can get really odd, heh. It's the basis of my musical ear, as well. The ear for hearing chord quality is kinda like hearing subtle lingual differences.

It's more than just the act of speaking, kids lose the ability to hear some subtleties of language that they aren't constantly exposed to, as Zar points out. I just saw a great documentary on that, where they were playing two vowels for people, and a lot of them sounded the same, but native speakers could easily identify them. Cool stuff.

I can do most of this too.  I have no problem with that german 'ch' sound, or with rolling 'r' in either the french or spanish way.  I begin to wish I'd applied myself more in the language classes I'd taken, there's plenty to be made translating, probably more than being a data analyst/programmer.

As far as the different phonemes go, I'd read somewhere that if you learn(or are at least exposed to) english and chinese at a young age, you get the vast majority of the human phonemes, as the two languages have many that are not in the other one.  Probably why it's so hard to understand people from the orient in general.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 12:43:08 AM

Heh...if Bach is not really {Bah-K}....then I have no idea how to really say it.

This has been commented on (somewhat indirectly), but not only do kids stop using sounds not utilized in their native language at a young age, but they also become relatively unable to discriminate between a sound that IS used in their language and another sound that is very close, but is not used.  Their brain is not trained to recognize the distinction between the two sounds as a meaningful difference, as there is none, for their native language.  So the close-but-not-quite-right-sound is lumped in with the one they do know and recognize. 

The only difference between the {x} used in german and the {k} is that with the {x}. you allow a small stream of air to pass between your tongue and velum, and with the {k} you do not.  Make the {k} sound but allow for a small space between your tongue and the roof of your mouth, and you have {x}.  They sound very similar, and to an English-speaking American whose brain has not been trained to recognize the distinction, it can sound identical.  Native German speakers do however note the distinction.  Using the {k} marks you as having an accent.  This whole discussion is the primary reason behind accents of non-native language speakers, in fact.  But I've babbled and bored enough. Adieu.

Strazos

Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 07:07:37 AM

Yeah, I suppose it's sort of hard to tell what is meant when we're communicating in text, rather than actually hearing the sounds.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Engrish Rives!  
Jump to: