Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story  (Read 8333 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: July 29, 2006, 10:42:10 PM

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story

I’ve been known to crush, kill, and destroy a game every so often in a weekend. But it doesn’t happen often with RPGs. In fact, unless your goal is to do just that, you could go through life playing games all the time and never actually end up doing it. If you didn’t do it with Final Fantasy IV, you won’t do it with the epic psychobabbling crap that’s on the shelves today.

And then came along Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

» Read More
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:36:06 AM

Hmmm...something for me to put at the top of my Gamefly queue. Thanks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:53:32 AM

Music reminds me of a mix between 8 Eyes, Sonic, and IronSword.  I like.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:49:14 PM

Alright, played the shit out of this game today and finished it. Surfed around and turns out there's 2 sequels, have to pray that they get localized though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:55:18 PM

The second one comes out in a few months. No news on the upcoming DS one. A fairy told me the PS2 ones are being investigated.

Either way I'm stoked.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:06:48 PM

The main labyrinth music has a really nice bridge to it, which is kind of a pity because cutscenes have their own music and you're going to get random encounter'd before the end of the first 10 bars.

I'm impressed by the game design as far as difficulty scaling goes. You can get what amounts double or triple XP from the bonus for fighting out of your depth. Conversely, when you fight wimpy enemies most of their XP is tied up in that bonus, which seems to be a combination time bonus and "perfect fight" bonus. You can stick with Bron's vanilla recipes for the whole game or explore the game world and pick up elemental recipes (different with every guardian) or get 'em by being a good enough technician to win a fight via weapon break.

The 5 weapon types are all fairly unique in their capabilities, though I wish knockdown wasn't such an important factor in fighting above your level. Also, the game silently encourages picking a couple weapon types and staying the course by giving you a big whack of nonrenewable resources every day, then making you work for the rest.

And all 8 combinations of gender and guardian beast result in conversations that are more than just a find and replace on name and gender. (Is it just me or is the fiancee fairy a lot more enthusiastic about marrying you when you're a girl? God bless Japan.) Some things I wish had been done differently to warm my completionist heart:

• I'd like to unlock the other 75% or so of the elemental recipes by dueling my past opponents (if you missed the weaponbreak recipe) or by practicing with my existing weapons and building up so many tech points that the Craftknight who likes that kind of weapon gives me a new technique out of sheer admiration.
  • I'd like to be able to see all 5 end-of-day conversations. I realize there's probably some emotion meter or something tied to who you choose to talk to, but Final Fantasy VII came up with a way to see everybody but still make your choice - full points for the first one, then diminishing returns.
  • I want to see a breakdown of the bonus - how much is from a perfect fight, how much is from time, how much is from challenge?

Aside from that, it's a very solid action-battle RPG.

--GF
Strazos

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:47:21 PM

Any chance at a new video that shows non-trivial combat?

Also, does the gave revolve around just 1 character?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:55:27 PM

I'm not showing you non-trivial combat. It's a 14 hour game. I'm not spoiling a boss fight (or otherwise).

Technically it revolves around a score of characters like the older Final Fantasies (IV and VI), only thing is you are an army of two (har har, really though, you and your guardian spirit).
Strazos

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:30:12 PM

I meant more along the lines of combat where you don't 1-shot stuff that's 20+ levels below you.

Fear the Backstab!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:43:08 PM

I want to play this but I hate playing games on little tiny screens.   cry

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 01:36:56 PM

GBA player for GC, dearie.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 06:12:01 PM

What does it all mean???

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 07:15:39 AM

Huh. Having just seen the video (yeah, yeah, bad connection at home) I have to ask: how do you get the option to just randomly throw in Mystic Ore with a weapon you're making?

--GF
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 10:30:42 AM

First you have to complete the weapon in the ordinary manner once, then when you try to craft it the second time you will get a prompt asking you if you want to use Mystic Ore, that is if you have enough ore.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:58:02 AM

First you have to complete the weapon in the ordinary manner once, then when you try to craft it the second time you will get a prompt asking you if you want to use Mystic Ore, that is if you have enough ore.
Little more complicated than that. Here's what I've worked out so far:

In addition to swords, every Guardian Beast has two weapon types where you can just add Mystic Ore from the craft screen - for Sugar, it's knuckles and spears, for Zantek, it's spears and axes, for Kutty, it's knuckles and drills, and for... crud, can't remember the emo fire kid's name, but he's got axes and drills.

To fill in the missing two weapon types, you have to complete that day's sidequests. Which is kind of a nice balance, all told. Though some of them - like the one where you get interrupted on the way to your match, fight a guy, break his weapon, get the recipe, then craft the weapon and give it to someone all before you fight your match - are just a bit obscure, and lots of them require that you win through weapon-break.

--GF
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 04:22:23 PM

I finally picked up this game. I got Sugar on my female character, which is kind of bizarre, I'll admit.

I didn't know about the crafting it twice to get the mystic ore weapons - I have so much mystic ore, it's literally falling out of my ass.

Really a charming game, though - it makes me happy to hear there are sequels.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 02:06:04 PM

For my friend Feet: long link

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 03:46:18 PM

smiley

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 07:18:35 AM

If you're short on Mystic Ore but glutted with materials, you can change 50 of each material into 1 Mystic Ore as follows:

Make a Hot Iron Ladle using 50 of each and 1 Mystic Ore. Then smelt down the Hot Iron Ladle into 2 Mystic Ore. Repeat until satisfied.

--GF
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story  
Jump to: