Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQ2 PvP: Any Good? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ2 PvP: Any Good?  (Read 3655 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

on: July 27, 2006, 05:40:19 AM

So for some reason I am almost tempted to try out a PvP server on EQ2 due to the recent GameSpy bit on it. But of course GameSpy is total rubbish so I would be interested to hear if anyone here has played/is playing on a PvP server and can share some opiniosn on what it's like.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:17:59 AM

I tried the pvp instance when the expansion first came out sometime ago - at that time it was a disaster.  Forwhatever reason, if you can believe it there was no level restriction when I enter the instance - so ended up fighting guys 15 levels higher than me.  I don't care about winning - but that is no contest.

I can only assume that the player population is just (or was) too thin to support proper pvp in the sense that I have come to know it in WOW pvp instances.

Also - at the time - there were reports by players that during some duels some experienced real deaths lol.  At least that element has been retained from EQ :)

For awhile there you would see duel zone shouts like LFG requests - "40 Paladin looking to duel someone my level" and so on.  The "duelbet" option for duels is interesting but that IS the only thing positive I have to say here.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:08:39 AM

Played it in beta and a week or so after release.  I'll summarize:

1. Games made with a pve focus still never translate well to a pvp world.  EQ2 is no exception.

2. Like WoW, it made me appreciate DAoC.... again.

3. Why do pvp servers attract so many mental defectives? 

4. SoE to pay more attention to things reported in beta.  Release was premature.  In the first month, I believe 18 of the top 20 players on these servers were of the scout classes. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:25:28 AM

I was wondering that too but I wish I didn't have to switch shards.
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 03:04:18 AM

I'm curious as to how PvP fits in with their combat system. With Heroic Opportunities and whatnot.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:12:13 AM

You get HO's - you perform them as if you were soloing in pve.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Bill
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 08:30:50 AM

It blows. EQ2 is great PVE, that's all it will ever be without a complete overhaul of most of the game mechanics.

- Too much focus on gear and spell upgrades
- Most people twink and lock level at 22 or 33 for PVP
- Movement speed & the combat system are not suited for PVP
- There's nothing to fight for, except contested spawns and fame/titles
- Scouts are overpowered
- Lots of classes are underpowered

SOE doing it's usual knee jerk reaction thing and giving the players what they scream and whine for, only it's awful. The kids with a hardon for ganking greens and twinking alts are loving it, anyone who disagrees on the forums gets flamed as a carebear. Well excuse me while I "QQ" some more.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQ2 PvP: Any Good?  
Jump to: