Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $4.99 console game sale at Circuit City 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $4.99 console game sale at Circuit City  (Read 4928 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: July 04, 2004, 05:04:09 PM

Console game players in the US may want to check out this $4.99 sale at Circuit City:

Start of thread on Shacknews:
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8097302

List of games available:
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8097307
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 06:29:14 PM

Sounds like bait and switch to me.

REZ?  Somebody still sells REZ?   Can't find it anywhere, myself.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 12:08:34 AM

Here's everything from that list that matters.

Disgaea
REZ
Ikaruga
Viewtiful Joe
Red Faction II
Dark Alliance
ICO
Kung Fu Chaos

Well, maybe not the only ones that matter, but that's what I'll be getting.

Thank god I live in the ghetto. They'll have everything but the sports games. Or at least that's my experience from working in a gaming shop for a year here.
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 12:38:26 AM

for those of you with an xbox, I highly highly recommend Panzer Dragoon Orta.

beautiful fast-paced action gameplay, great musical score, the whole game just emanates style. It's one of the best games on the xbox, in my opinion, and this is a great chance to pick it up for a low price.

it really sucks that the game didn't sell better, as they probably won't be making another one. not really sure why it didn't do terribly well. it got great reviews, i guess it's just not as attractive to the "new, casual gamer" crowd as something like mechassault or tom clancy.
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:47:26 AM

I'll second the Orta recomendation. I have it and it's simply a beautiful (if odd) game. However, it's a shooter, so if you don't like shooters, you probably won't like Orta.

I think one reason it never really caught on is it has no multiplayer. Anymore, it's all Live this, and Live that. That's fine, but games like Orta seem to fall between the cracks. It makes me wonder how well Sudeki will do.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 01:36:50 AM

As far as I'm concerned, this is bullshit (I went to two San Antonio, TX Circuit City locations, and didn't see a game under $19.99 for any system). Or maybe I was just too late. Anyone else have any luck?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 04:36:56 AM

A friend of mine managed to have a regular priced game that was not on the list rung up for 5 bucks. I also snagged a couple games for 5 each (they were both not marked down, the regular prices were still tagged on them, but the discount showed up at the register) and I also had 25 refunded for my 30 dollar purchase of Viewtiful Joe from a couple weeks ago so all-in-all, not bad. However, I had talked to a couple other guys who had stacks of games in the store and they had apparently been to several area Circuit City stores. They had mentioned that some stores were pulling a lot of the titles off the shelves before customers could get to them so I don't know if certain managers were trying to prevent selling the games full price or if employees were stocking up on all the decent titles on the list. Either way, I didn't find many that were on the list in the stores.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 06:56:01 AM

Quote from: stray
As far as I'm concerned, this is bullshit (I went to two San Antonio, TX Circuit City locations, and didn't see a game under $19.99 for any system). Or maybe I was just too late. Anyone else have any luck?

If you read the thread you'll see that the games on sale are not marked with the lower price. It's only when the game is scanned in at the register will you see the sale price. However, as they say, YMMV. Some stores don't seem to be honoring this sale so you might be out of luck even if you go back to your stores and have them ring up a few games to check.
jimbob

Email
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 09:45:29 AM

As was pointed out, if you read everything you would see that the prices were not marked down on the games, only in the register system. I went to a couple Circuit Cities yesterday, ended up with 7 PS2 games for $35 even though they already been pretty well cleaned out. Picked up 6 gamecube games for $30 for my brother as well. In both stores someone who worked there told me that they didn't know about the sale until Sunday when some guy came in and bought like 50 games, and that after that they were instructed to start scanning all the games and putting antyhing that came up at $4.99 into a sale bin, where everything was going fast. In the second store I stopped at there were a bunch of teens buying anything for $4.99 that they could sell to Gamestop or elsewhere for more. Makes sense, but still sucks for everyone else...

Picked up ICO, Grandia Extreme and a bunch of other games that will probably be pretty crappy. Passed on a few others like Rygar, Bloodrayne and more that just didn't grab me at all. All in all even after they got cleaned out I saw at least 20-25 titles from the PS2 list, and 12-15 from the Gamecube list that could be had for $4.99 each.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:04:01 AM

This information would have been spectacular YESTERDAY.  Blah, instead I left the store in disgust as the cheapest thing was still 20 bucks marked.

Ohh well, I still have plenty of games I haven't beat yet.  Still, would have been nice to pick up something like Panzer Dragoon Orta or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a game I'd normally not buy but would in an instant at a bargain price.  Plus just another month until my life gets eaten away by ESPN Football 2k5...

-Rasix
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 11:39:58 AM

Local circuit city had none of the listed titles on the shelf, and an empty bin marked all games in here $4.99 limit title 1 per customer.  Oh well.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 01:18:13 PM

Managed to get MGS Substance and Timesplitters 2 for $5.26 a piece. That makes me happy. REZ was 29.99 here. That makes me sad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $4.99 console game sale at Circuit City  
Jump to: