Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Best PVM evar! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best PVM evar!  (Read 17552 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: July 20, 2006, 07:40:35 PM

So in UO, I like killing me some daemons.  They give enough fame to grant you that spiffy Lord title, and the gold is pretty good for the effort.  Usually I kill them in Hythloth, where they spawn slowly.  But shit, that gets so goddamn boring.  Half the time I end up reading this forum between spawns.  So today I went to the Fire Temple.  They spawn two at a time, they respawn more or less instantly, and the area is confined enough that you're almost always under attack by both at once.

Now keep in mind, a daemon will fall in six or seven hits.  On the other hand, I'm wearing the plain vanilla GM armor that's used in RP fights (plus some jewelry to augment my resists) so it's quite possible for them to take me out in a hurry if I'm not on the ball.

Holy shit.  I have never ever had to move this fast in MMO PVM.  I'm attacking one daemon, looting another, healing myself, and watching another one spawn and come in at me literally all at the same time.  I mean I got into this rhythym where I was hitting my lightning strike macro every two seconds while dragging gold into my pack, watching my health bar, and switching off to my spirit speak macro every time I started taking too much damage.  Then there's the fact that with my template, my primary means of healing is life-leeching, meaning that dancing around the edges would have been counter-productive.  So I was right in the middle of the spawn area.

I'm sure some of the corpses decayed with loot still on them because every once in a while there was just too much shit going on for me to even bother grabbing the gold at that particular moment.  Based on the amount by which my bank account had increased at the end, I figure I must have killed well upwards of seventy daemons in a thirty or forty minute hunt.  It was fast.

It was, dare I say, twitchy.  It felt like a videogame, and not the fucking tortoise-paced snorefest that MMO PVM usually consists of.

I had that "unaware of the outside world" feeling you get when a game is right at the edge of what you can keep up with.  My arm has that slightly fatigued post-gaming feeling in it.  And you know, I made some nice money and the whole thing went on exactly as long as I wanted it to.

Seriously, to any WoW players peeking their noses in here, fuck your modern games.  Half the time I was "fighting monsters" in WoW I could take my hands off the keyboard entirely for long stretches of time.  Granted the above UO fight was only so frantic because I was right at the edge of getting pwned half the time, but you know what happened when I would go jump on a red-con mob in WoW?  The same boring-as-fuck fight, except I would have to heal more often.

Yeah!  Fuck graphics!  Leet housing and daemon-killing for the win!  UO FOREVAR!!1!

(At last I have my own forum within which to get these rants out of my system!)

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:51:19 AM

Gotta share these forums w/ me buddy because I'm still here.  No one else maybe, but I am!  Its just me and my wife.  Been keeping up Lamp's Tower and RnE house.  I gotta go visit the resist house.  I want to make sure that doesn't go splat.

And I 100% agree.  I can't tell you the number of times I have taken my hands off of the keyboard to stretch and such (while fighting a Mob) with the other MMO's PvM.  UO may have inferior graphics, but to this DAY no one has been able to touch its gameplay.

I gotta go check out Fire Temple (on Metropolis).  I need to get me some killing of high mobs for some good money/loot and get me some better karma/fame.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:30:29 AM

Fire temple on metro has 3 deamons, a couple fire ele's, a lich lord, and a dragon.  Pointless without some help.  I have not played in a while because I have been busy, but I will be back on soon.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:23:51 PM

If you guys want some company I'd be happy to give the server a try.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 02:47:49 PM

That is soooo last month.  Heh. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:41:40 AM

That is soooo last month.  Heh. 

okay, np.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 08:46:00 AM

For me it was just bad timing.  I had all intentions of playing for the pvp, but I'm in the middle of moving to another state, so RL priorities and such.  I figured by the time I could come back to this, everybody would be gone.

/shrug
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:50 PM

Seriously, to any WoW players peeking their noses in here, fuck your modern games.  Half the time I was "fighting monsters" in WoW I could take my hands off the keyboard entirely for long stretches of time. 

Once again, fuck you and your ignorance. You spew the same shit about WoW time and time again. And like always, youa re wrong. 1) you got to level 39, and 2) played a paladin, a class we ALL told you was the most boring class to play. Im not trying to knock your UO fun, but jesus, stop being bad.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:18:17 PM

No seriously, fuck WoW and this "Sorry, the game should have warned you before you spent two months playing the Not Fun class!" horseshit.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:27:44 PM

UO's PVM is terrible.  Don't kid yourself.  Fast paced terrible is still terrible.  I can name a similar situation in any MMO I've played, where you're fighting on a razor's edge due to constant action. Most people just never bother to put themselves in those situations.

Plus, you've got a bunch of crap in there that doesn't belong in UO.  Spirit speak in fighting?  Hell, at least it wasn't ninja or elf crap, that probably would have put me into a seizure.  Resistance gear? WTF.

-Rasix
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:53:58 PM

UO's PVM is terrible.  Don't kid yourself.  Fast paced terrible is still terrible.

Rasix, with all due respect, you have zero experience with the combat system I'm talking about.  Even a plain vanilla warrior can DoT, stun, disarm, knock people off their horses and so forth by choosing a weapon with the appropriate special attacks.  Undead casters with necromancy can create minions by animating any corpses in the vicinity.  Ethereal warriors (angels) have access to all paladin abilities.  Those ninjas in the "Japanese" lands?  They actually stealth all over the damned countryside, jumping out from nowhere and attacking you with all the abilities a player ninja has.  There are creatures with bard abilities in some of the expansion areas that can peacemake players and provoke otherwise non-hostile mobs onto them.

The era of stupid monsters with no pathfinding and melee fighters who do nothing but auto-attack while bandaging has been over for many years.

Rasix

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 10:32:43 PM

I just puked a little in my mouth.  Really, stop speaking.  Your stories of the new UO sully my memories.

Edit: Glad the combat is more active, but honestly, I feel it's a goddamn travesty what they've done to that game.  Just fucking shameful.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:36:13 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 09:20:47 AM

Ahhh I see. Its ok for you to make general statments about something you know very little about, but not Rasix. Got it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 10:29:11 AM

If Rasix had spent as much time in current-day UO as I've spent in WoW, I'd consider him perfectly qualified to comment upon the game.  Now if I'm still talking about WoW in 2011, and the nature & content of the game have changed completely by then, feel free to point out substantive game mechanics I'm unaware of, as I'm doing here.

But don't walk in here and give me this Diku-apologist "You played the wrong class!  You only played a few months!  It takes longer than that to find the fun!" bullshit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:35:28 AM by WindupAtheist »

Rasix

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 10:36:26 AM

If Rasix had spent as much time in current-day UO as I've spent in WoW, I'd consider him perfectly qualified to comment upon the game.

I played the "WoW paladin" version of UO.  :-D

Not continue this pointless argument (I mean really, new and exciting UO PVM..  I wonder when someone will illuminate me to the many new and mindblowing features of Windows Vista telnet.), but we're basically saying the same thing.  I played a poor representation of UO PVM; WUA played a poor representation of WoW PVM.

It's all perspective and preference. Honestly, you could dress up UO PVM with whatever lore raping feature you want and it probably would not make any difference to me.  Just the same, WUA would probably be just as bitter and UO-proud if he'd played a more dynamic PVM class like a druid, rogue or even warrior.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:45:38 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 10:44:43 AM

I do miss the way armor worked back then, and how simple it was.  Shopping around for pieces with the right combination of mods is a pain in the ass these days.  That's why I end up hunting in GM armor and only worry about mods on my weapon, shield, and jewels.  I'm not as uber as I could be, but I can kill enough to make good money, and the fights are dangeous enough to be fun instead of dull farming.

EDIT:  The "necromancer mobs animating corpses" thing is pure awesome though.  I remember me and some friends going to kill shadow wyrms.  We kill one, we kill two, and it's no big deal.  Sure they have a few new necro spells to deal damage with, but so what?  Then the third one spawns, and immediately animates the corpses of the previous two into skeletal dragons.  Was a great "Oh shit, I didn't know they were smart enough to do that!  Run away!!" moment.

EDIT 2:  I hate all this editing, but I hate posting twice in a row even more.  Anyway, this line...

I played a poor representation of UO PVM; WUA played a poor representation of WoW PVM.

The difference is, you played a poor representation of UO PVM because you were playing back during the Clinton administration and the dawn of the MMO genre.  I played a poor representation of WoW PVM this year because I just didn't realize Blizzard had put in a No Fun For You class.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:53:27 AM by WindupAtheist »

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 11:00:50 AM

I played a poor representation of WoW PVM this year because I just didn't realize Blizzard had put in a No Fun For You class.

I seem to remember a bunch of people here on this forum telling you to NOT play a paladin when you stated you where going to play wow, because they where not an exciting class. But you insisted.

You go to a resturant that is very popular, and lot of people like it, and you show up at the door, and all your friends tell you, "dont have the fish, the fish is not good here, the steak is really good, so is the chicken", what do you do? You order the fish, then when the fish is not very good, you run around telling every one who will listen how horrible that resturant is.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:00 PM

Give it up putting blame on his damn class.  I played both a Rogue and a Warrior (the ones you guys just mentioned).  I soloed with the Warrior and I grouped up with my rogue (w/ RL friends).  All the mobs were the SAME EXACT boring shit.  You pull them with some arrow shot/spell/whatever and you hack it to bits.  It will cast on you from a distance if its a caster or shoot if its a range fighter, but eventually will close in.  There's no fancy advanced AI and there's nothing more to it.

I'm not saying UO has a butt load of depth, but stop saying WoW's PvM sucked because he chose the wrong class.  It sucked because their PvM setup SUCKS.  Plain and simple.  I also played WoW THIS YEAR (about 1 1/2 months ago) and toughed it out for 2 months (30 day trail and 1 month).  It blew chunks and I got bored.

Man, talk about wanting to plant blame on everything under the sun except for the shittastic game called WoW.

I did enjoy how the rogue and warrior class were from a technical stand, but the PvM sucked.  And PvP was basically boring as shit too. 

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 04:45:12 PM

WoW is not your thing. Fine, great, dandy. I dont care what it is you like or dont like. What I take offence to is his constant bashing of a thing with very half ass self knowlage of it. See my above post.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 07:45:32 PM

I loved UO and I loved WoW.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 08:28:20 PM

WoW is not your thing. Fine, great, dandy. I dont care what it is you like or dont like. What I take offence to is his constant bashing of a thing with very half ass self knowlage of it. See my above post.

So how many months am I supposed to play before I have enough 'knowlage' to decide it sucks?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 01:08:39 PM

Seriously, to any WoW players peeking their noses in here, fuck your modern games.  Half the time I was "fighting monsters" in WoW I could take my hands off the keyboard entirely for long stretches of time.  Granted the above UO fight was only so frantic because I was right at the edge of getting pwned half the time, but you know what happened when I would go jump on a red-con mob in WoW?  The same boring-as-fuck fight, except I would have to heal more often.

Yeah!  Fuck graphics!  Leet housing and daemon-killing for the win!  UO FOREVAR!!1!

I do enjoy reading your tirades.  Not that I play WoW.

So how many months am I supposed to play before I have enough 'knowlage' to decide it sucks?

Three.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 02:43:17 PM

Three.
2 hours.

"Me am play gods"
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 07:11:07 PM

I'm with Kenrick.

I remember those fights from UO... but the last time I played (production shard, Siege, dexer) it had become pretty boring.

However, listen to this wee anecdote and see if it sounds familiar.

The other day I was in the crypt below Raven Hill.  I was playing my priest.  I attacked a ghoul in there.  It's at about 1/2 health, and another one spawns.  So I shackle him, finish the other one.  About the time I'm done and loot, the shackle breaks.  It comes at me, and another one spawns.

Things went on in this fashion for a while.  Once there were three at a time.  I was doing well, keeping up, but I wanted a break, so I slowly edged back out of the aggro radius, and that's how it ended.  But man was it intense for a time.

Witty banter not included.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 03:01:53 PM

I suppose you've soloed three hederine slayers as a warlock before WUP? Keep one banished with doom on him (using rank 2 then rank 1 so the dooms go off), while fear kiting the other 2 with dots and exhaustion. Those mobs 3-4 hit you and take around 2 minutes to kill. They also run faster than you do. It's pretty fun. Or how about cleared every non-undead/boss mob in DM west? That's pretty cool too, lots of pulls with multiple mobs, all of which can splat you in a hurry. Or how about killing most of DM East including every boss bar the endboss? It gets quite tricky as times. How about clearing all of the mobs in BRD that gather around where Windsor patrols? Some of those pulls have 5 or even 6 mobs in em. Or solo kited alexi barov. Not especially fun but it can be kinda intense till you get the rythm.

But no I guess autoattack with a mail/plate class who can heal themselves was enough to show you everything the game offered. Even at 39.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 03:17:59 PM

Geez, did he piss in you guys' cereal that much that you gotta try and bash him that often?  I don't really know since I haven't been here that long.  Just asking.

Just seems like he must have talked a ton of shit about how bad WoW is because loads of people are going at him now.  Even though, as it was pointed out up above, WoW was NOT my cup of tea and I hated the shitty ass game.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 03:27:33 PM

Geez, did he piss in you guys' cereal that much that you gotta try and bash him that often?  I don't really know since I haven't been here that long.  Just asking.

Just seems like he must have talked a ton of shit about how bad WoW is because loads of people are going at him now.  Even though, as it was pointed out up above, WoW was NOT my cup of tea and I hated the shitty ass game.

WUA has a sordid history on this part of the intarweb.  He has redeemed himself somewhat, but you cannot escape your past.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 12:41:59 PM

But no I guess autoattack with a mail/plate class who can heal themselves was enough to show you everything the game offered. Even at 39.

Seriously, fuck you crack-addicts.  It took me a month of solid play to reach level 39.  If that isn't enough of my time to get to the fun part, then the game fucking sucks shit.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 01:53:24 PM

I'm not saying you didn't give WoW enough chance to grab you, but you sure as hell didn't spend enough time or do enough things to make broad generalisations based on your limited experience.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 11:22:42 AM

So it's like a parfait, where the first level (or 39 levels, as it were) are made of shit.  BUT OMG YOU CANT SAY THIS PARFAIT SUCKS!!  AFTER YOU EAT ALL THE SHIT THE BOTTOM LAYERS ARE HIGHLY DELICIOUS!

Rasix

Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 11:31:03 AM

I'm to assume, you can do all of that fantastic PVM minute one in UO. Right?  rolleyes

Whoever tagged you with that title was wise beyond their years.

-Rasix
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 12:05:22 PM

From your description WUA I can see you have magery and spirit speak so should I just make a character with 50 magery and 50 spirit speak or should I throw 1 point into a third skill? Also where do I pick up the lightning strike spell it doesn't appear to be in my spellbook? I just want to kill demons right away cause that sounds like fun, not spend hours 8x8ing my skills up or killing dear so I need some good advice. What stats too? Max strength cause the demons hit hard or int for mana to cast lightning or a combination? Please help.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 03:37:45 PM

From your description WUA I can see you have magery and spirit speak so should I just make a character with 50 magery and 50 spirit speak or should I throw 1 point into a third skill? Also where do I pick up the lightning strike spell it doesn't appear to be in my spellbook? I just want to kill demons right away cause that sounds like fun, not spend hours 8x8ing my skills up or killing dear so I need some good advice. What stats too? Max strength cause the demons hit hard or int for mana to cast lightning or a combination? Please help.

This would have been funny 3 years ago.  Swing and a miss.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 06:32:16 PM

No one has had to kill deer for skill gains in years, and 8x8 doesn't even work anymore.  Lightning Strike is a melee attack, and a newbie can probably throw it with some consistency within a couple days of starting if he chooses the appropriate skill.  By the end of the first month, a clever newb who puts as much time into the game as I did into WoW will probably have a nice little house and some minor artifact weapons, and should be able to kill either daemons (albeit slower than I was above) or something else interesting.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 08:23:35 PM

At this point I seriously think you're just trolling, but I'll bite too.

It's not the depth of your WoW experience, it's the breadth.  You took a class to 39 that most people find boring and appeals to a slim minority, and proclaimed all nine (if my count is right) classes, all their talent builds, and both factions totally boring based on that one class.  I thought my priest was fun out of the box, same with my warrior.  I lasted all of three levels before I deleted my paladin.

It would probably also go over better if you lost the arrogance with which you all but proclaim WoW players as somehow misled as to what we really like to do.  Most of us have played UO too, you know.

Witty banter not included.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Best PVM evar!  
Jump to: