Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap on sale 14th Aug, events start 16th Aug 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coldsnap on sale 14th Aug, events start 16th Aug  (Read 3374 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: July 15, 2006, 04:49:51 AM

^^

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:11:17 PM

Going to go to a paper release next weekend.  Should be 5 boosters, make a deck.

I'll try and post some thoughts.
StGabe
Terracotta Army

Bruce without the furry.

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 02:44:01 PM

I did a draft and a sealed the weekend before last in Vegas.

In the sealed, my first round opponent was Kai Budde.  I shit you not.  For my first paper magic tournament in 10 years.  Seemed to be a pretty modest, cool guy.  Unfortunately a mana flood in both matches made the games not very interesting other than some smalltalk about the world cup.  He said he wasn't playing much magic anymore and intimated that Magic Online was part of it and had a bad affect on the game.

Anyway, the format is pretty well, limited, in limited play.  You want snow lands, of course, because so much is powered by snow mana, but you are only getting one per pack which makes it kind of hard to get a consistent snow mana base without drafting snow lands high.  Green was very heavily drafted (not surprising) with blue and red seeming to be the underdogs.  From what I saw blue really wasn't that great but red has some nice cards.  I ended up drafting red/black in my one draft.  The format is, in general, very light on removal.  Black has some ok removal but nothing like the removal in Ravnica.  Overall I was able to end up ahead of the curve on removal.  I got a lot of mileage out of "Skred" which is DD damage equal to the number of snow permanents you have in play.  Even though snow lands are somewhat hard to collect in numbers, you will still have lots of critters with the snow tag, etc.  Black has some nice cards with recover (the graveyard recursion and the 2 power killer).

Ripple and the green aurochs are cards that are pretty useless in sealed but can be effective in draft.  In the draft final I made it to I played a guy who had 6 aurochs in his deck and it was pretty effective.  I also played a guy who had four or five of the 2/1 first strike, ripple cards.  He only got the ripple to trigger once but it seemed like it might have been effective.

It was fun to draft without knowing the format very well but I suspect that it won't be a terribly interesting draft format once everyone knows it well.  We'll see.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 04:05:29 PM

Heh,  played with Kai Budde?  Very nice.

That's the nice thing about Magic:  the scene is big enough to generate some superstars, but small enough so they're just regular guys you get to play once and a while.  Most of the pros my friends have met/played with are pretty mellow guys.

Thanks for the thoughts on the format.

Even if a color is pretty weak in a format,  it's sometimes a good call to draft the hell out of it.  Less competition for the cards.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 01:37:29 PM

btw....

On Monday, August 14th at 9:00 am PST, Coldsnap goes on sale in the Magic Online store.

NOTE: Coldsnap becomes legal in ALL Constructed formats the day it goes on sale (August 14). All casual rooms and constructed queues will use Coldsnap starting on August 14. Constructed Premier events will not run until August 21 and will use Coldsnap starting on that date.

Coldsnap Release events begin Thursday, August 17 and will have 4 components:

Release Leagues
Draft Queues
Premier Event Flights (2x and 4x Prizes)
Release Championship
Coldsnap Release Leagues

SIGNUP: August 17, 9:00am – August 23, 9:00am (the final 1 week, 2x league will start no later than 9AM on August 23). Release Leagues will have a maximum of 256 players each and will auto-spawn (as soon as a league reaches 256 players, another will begin registration).

LEAGUE DURATION: 1 week

PRODUCT: 5 Coldsnap Booster Packs.

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 2x prizes, Participation Avatar: Diamond Faerie; Records of 5-0 get Prize Avatar: Haakon, Stromgald Scourge.

Avatars will be distributed Approx. 3 weeks after the last league concludes
Coldsnap Draft Queues

QUEUES BEGIN: August 17, 11:00 am.

FORMATS: Booster Draft

PRODUCT: 3 Coldsnap Boosters

PRIZE SUPPORT: 4-3-2-2 and 8-4
Coldsnap Premier Events (2x Flights)

DURATION: August 17 1:00 pm– August 23 9:00 am (last starts at 9am). 2x Flights will have 32 players per flight and will start every hour, on the hour. Each flight will have a minimum of 24 players, maximum of 32 players.

PRODUCT: 5 Coldsnap Booster Packs, top 8 booster draft. The booster draft format will be 3 Coldsnap Booster Packs.

PRIZE SUPPORT: 2x Prizes, Top 8

Place    Boosters
1    24
2    18
3-4    12
5-8    4

All who participate in a 2x Prize Premier Event Flight will get the Diamond Faerie avatar. Top 2 will get a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge avatar. In addition, the 1st place finisher will qualify for the Coldsnap Release Event 2x Championship on Saturday, August 26 @ 12:00 pm PST.
Coldsnap Premier Events (4x Flights)

DURATION: August 17 1:00 pm– August 23 10:00 am (last starts at 10am). 4x Flights start every 3 hours. Each flight will have a minimum of 24 players, maximum of 128 players.

PRODUCT: 5 Coldsnap Booster Packs, top 8 booster draft. The booster draft format will be 3 Coldsnap Booster Packs.

ADMISSION: 4 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 4x Prizes, Manual Pay to Top 16 (Prizes for 9-16 place will be paid out within 72 hours of event completion)

Place    Boosters
1    48
2    36
3-4    24
5-8    12
9-16    6

All who participate in a 4x Prize Premier Event Flight will get the Diamond Faerie avatar. Top 8 will get a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge avatar. In addition, the Top 8 finishers will qualify for the Coldsnap Release Event 4x Championship on Saturday, August 26 @ 8:00 am PST.
Coldsnap Release Event 2x Championship

START TIME: August 26, 12:00 pm PST

ADMISSION: FREE – (No Tix, No Product, Invitation only)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 6x, Manual pay to Top 64

Place    Boosters
1    72
2    54
3-4    36
5-8    18
9-16    12
17-32    6
33-64    3

The winner of the Championship will also receive a complete set of Magic Online Premium Coldsnap cards.

Second place will receive a complete set of regular Magic Online Coldsnap cards.

Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for the Championship event, players not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in the Championship either before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).
Coldsnap Release Event 4x Championship

START TIME: August 26, 8:00 am PST

ADMISSION: FREE – (No Tix, No Product, Invitation only)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 6x, Manual pay to Top 64

Place    Boosters
1    72
2    54
3-4    36
5-8    18
9-16    12
17-32    6
33-64    3

The winner of the Championship will also receive a complete set of Magic Online Premium Coldsnap cards.

Second place will receive a complete set of regular Magic Online Coldsnap cards.

Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for the Championship event, players not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in the Championship either before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).
Important information regarding system crashes and refunds for Premier Events

If during your event the system crashes, 1 of 3 things will happen:

The system will come right back up. In this case:
          * Events will continue and additional time will be given to allow players to finish the event
          * No Compensation will be given

The system cannot recover the event and "finishes" (prematurely ends) the event, or a WOTC Tournament Coordinator must "finish" (prematurely end) the event.
          * We will accept the prize payouts "as is" - This means that whatever prize payouts and invites the system awards, we will not change what the system does.
          * No changes will be made to these events from what the system automatically pays out as prizes or invitations

If the event is in TOP 8:
          * No product or tickets will be refunded
          * All players keep the product used to enter the event as well as the drafted cards from the TOP 8 draft.

If the event is still in Swiss Rounds:
          * Players can request a refund through Customer Service.
          * We will refund your Product and tickets.

The event is cleared or cancelled by the system. If an event is cancelled this means the event can no longer be viewed in the premier event listings.
          * The system will automatically refund your tickets.
          * Players can request a refund through Customer Service.
          * We will refund your Product.

Participation:
Diamond Fairie
H+0 L-3
S: Target Creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn

Prize:
Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
H+0 L-3
Pay 1 life: You may play target creature card in your graveyard this turn.
Creatures played from your graveyard come into play as a black Zombie Knight.
Whenever a Zombie Knight would be put into your graveyard from play, remove it from the game instead.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Coldsnap on sale 14th Aug, events start 16th Aug  
Jump to: