Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wherein I Accuse EGM of just Making Up News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wherein I Accuse EGM of just Making Up News  (Read 10485 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: July 13, 2006, 03:35:02 PM

Wherein I Accuse EGM of just Making Up News

Ok guys, just because it's a rumor section doesn't mean you can make shit up. Here's the potent potables from the latest issue of EGM.

Red Faction 3 is coming on the PS3.
Touchscreen-supported DS compilation of Mother/Earthbound.
Dragon Quest IX is a Wii exclusive.
Squeenix does not plan to release Silpheed 360 in America. Or Front Mission online. Ever.
Squeenix is working on a *Mana based MMOG for the Wii.

So I got this from NEOGAF, so until I read it myself it's suspect. Hell, it'll still be suspect after I read it. But there it is. It's out there now Speculate.

Yegolev, go ahead and froth.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:42:20 PM

I couldn't read past Earthbound.  My eyes were too soggy with tears of joy.  Even if it is later proven false, let me have my moment.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:46:27 PM

I couldn't read past Earthbound.  My eyes were too soggy with tears of joy.  Even if it is later proven false, let me have my moment.

Love Letters

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:32:54 PM

To go off on a tangent:  What's the deal with Earthbound?  I only ever played it on emulator, but what I saw didn't impress me that much.  The graphics were horrible (expecially the fights), the story was on a level with Maniac Mansion (not bad per se, but not really impressive), the gameplay seemed fairly generic... yet I've run into a huge number of people who absolutely love it.  What's the attraction?  Did I just not get far enough or something?
Strazos

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 08:41:00 PM

Maybe you're a Heathen, sullying this game by emulating it...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:09:35 PM

To go off on a tangent:  What's the deal with Earthbound?
I like Earthbound for its atmosphere.  Nostalgia plays a big part too, just like every other RPG that I enjoyed from way back in the day.  I can't think of anything else, because just like you said, the game wasn't revolutionary or anything.  The plot really wasn't that great and the gameplay was far from innovative.  Come to think of it, I really don't know why this game has such a cult following.

I'd still buy the compilation if the rumor is true, though.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 06:36:10 AM

Most RPGs were trying to be more exciting, more romantic, more fantastical, more...everything. I think the developers of Earthbound said "Let's make it LESS exciting, romantic, fantastical, and everything...and put in a lot of FART JOKES!" And so we got something that looks like the devs were on crack, but in that good way.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 06:36:56 AM

Can I just say that Persona 3 sounds like the best RPG ever made?

Edit: As for the Mother series. I always found it to be pretty goddamn emotional and I hear Mother 3 is no slouch in that department. In closing: http://www.mother3.org/ is about 85% of the way through the Mother 3 translation project. While I'm not one to support piracy since I buy just about everything, I still feel the need to point out the translation patch. When it's released I'll probably host a copy here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:38:43 AM by schild »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:56:19 AM

I am far more likely to believe the Earthbound rumor since the DS is a proven hit.  Converting a game to use touch?  Yeah, what the hell, I'll close my eyes and enjoy the moment.

DQIX a Wii exclusive?  I can't understand how anyone would think this is a good idea.  Lots of people are excited about Wii, but today its install base is zero and I have a hard time believing that anyone with a suit would think this is a good idea.  But then I don't know anything about suits.  There's also the fact that RE4 started life as a Cube exclusive, so who the hell knows?  It might be DQVIII with a lightgun minigame.  All I can say for sure is that it will have a horrible, horrible grind.

Squeenix can work on as many MOGs as they like.  I doubt I'll play any of them, but that really doesn't have much to do with their choice of platform.  FFXI is just as shitty on the PC as it is on the PS2.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=7349.msg205461#msg205461

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 09:47:35 AM

Earthbound was great because it was quirky, the music and graphical presentation were interesting (I don't think Earthbound looked horrible at all. It was distinct. Now, Paladin's Quest, that looked awful), and the plot was kinda interesting and emotional if not childish in places.

It had some pretty tough fights too, which is always good for an RPG.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Strazos

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 04:33:32 PM

Erm, so let me get this straight...

For this translation patch to work, you would have to buy the GBA cart from Japan first....and then what?

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:42:07 PM

Erm, so let me get this straight...

For this translation patch to work, you would have to buy the GBA cart from Japan first....and then what?

Noob. You aren't going to buy the cart in Japan and you know teh patch will have instructions when it comes out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Wherein I Accuse EGM of just Making Up News  
Jump to: