Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:18:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1310620 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3360 on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:12 PM

The Bean books are absolutely dreadful.  Toward the end, he just can't keep his religion out of it.  That and the plot goes out into la-la land at hyper speed.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3361 on: February 18, 2011, 04:30:39 AM

I cannot stand the revisionist shite that authors and filmmakers are doing these days.  Sure, we all know about Lucas and Spielberg, but Card went back and pretty much rewrote Bean to be better, smarter and more wondrous than Ender.  He knew what was going on first and figured everything out from the 'real' games to the way the Alien hives worked and how to defeat them.

It was utter wank of the highest kind.  Bean was a tit with a chip on his shoulder and that's the way he should have stayed.  Slithering out of a lab as an embryo and making a daring escape was just wow.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3362 on: February 18, 2011, 06:18:24 AM

I'm sure I'll keep going with these until I just can't stand them, as long as there's an audio version.  I can usually find something good in just about any book, even if it's just a few funny bits here or there.  I think part of Card's issue is that people hold Ender's Game with such reverence, and it even tops a few of the internet lists for the best sci-fi/fantasy book ever.  It's good, but it isn't in my top 25.  

I can see the Bean stuff being shite.  Many of these guys really lose the quality when they feel they've got something good and move into "production" mode, cough cough Terry Brooks, cough cough.  That's why it's so cool to see someone prolific like Lois McMaster Bujold really maintain as she goes along while remaining prolific.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3363 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:55 AM

I wonder if after a while an author gets sick of their most famous/well-known/cash cow series and don't want to write it any longer, but they're somehow "required" or "forced" to keep writing?

I was on Amazon last night looking for a specific book.  It's the 3rd in a trilogy where I somehow missed picking it up and now that I'm rereading the series, need completion.  Anyways, I decided to see what other recommendations Amazon had for me and found some new Valdemar anthologies had come out, plus there was already 2 books in a new trilogy released in paperback as well.  Since I like these books and generally enjoy Mercedes Lackey's writing, I checked out the book info and some reviews.

Oh my, apparently she's fallen into "production" mode for these books and the reviews really weren't good at all.  A few even said to skip this set entirely.  Apparently the new trilogy takes place olny 50-ish or so years after another one (the Magic's Price one) and yet there seems to be no continuity, the social awkward, almost idiot "hero" suddenly can do everything perfectly and better than everyone else, he's the only one who can do these things, and of course his ability is the bestest, most powahful EVAR!!  When the reviewers start calling your main character a Mary Sue, something's gone wrong, IMO.  I'll probably pick the books up eventually, but who knows.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3364 on: February 18, 2011, 08:24:58 AM

I suspect that a lot of these folks do get jaded and bitter after a while.  Writing is a difficult thing to master though.  I have written a book.  It stinks, but I wrote it.  I can feel their pain at having to write volume after volume after volume to support something that their publisher tells them they need to do "for the fans" and they might just rather put a bullet in their own head. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3365 on: February 18, 2011, 09:16:33 AM

Feist has decided to tank his cash cow series, killing off all of the enjoyable characters, I think to make it so that the publisher can't ask him to write more.

Of course, you could say he decided to tank it about the time of the second 4 part saga :p

It really is impossible for someone to keep on the same story arc for 10-15 years unless they had some massive specific outline at the beginning. Any time you tack shit on it starts evolving to something entirely different.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3366 on: February 18, 2011, 10:50:33 AM

Feist has decided to tank his cash cow series, killing off all of the enjoyable characters, I think to make it so that the publisher can't ask him to write more.

No, he's just actually ending the story for good finally, and wrapping up all the plot threads he's had hanging over the last 25 years or so.  I think there are three books left to go.  If he'd really wanted to just end and kill the franchise, he could have easily done it like 3 trilogies back, and not drawn this out another 10 years.  A lot of the stuff that's happening in the current series has been foreshadowed back as far at the original trilogy, although most of it comes from the serpent war books and beyond.  He seemed to actually started planning his books ahead further than the book he was currently writing, since that was the first series he wrote that actually had a cohesive story past each given book, instead of just recapping his local dnd campaign.  I'm actually happy to see the overall story have a resolution after 25 years of this.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:52:53 AM by Ard »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3367 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36:50 PM

From what I heard, all this is basically from a D&D game he and a friend played 40 years ago. One whole 'riftwar' was supposedly to explain why there was a race of Lizard-men living on some Continent.

Part of the gameworld backstory their DM put together was that the world had gone through four or five "riftwars" where monsters from other planets/whatever had invaded, and the world had been effectively blown up and put back together several times.

He made a fortune of a P&P game he played in the 60s. Well done, Sir.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3368 on: February 21, 2011, 06:09:38 AM

Doesn't all fantasy writing stem from AD&D?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3369 on: February 21, 2011, 09:35:37 AM

I wonder if after a while an author gets sick of their most famous/well-known/cash cow series and don't want to write it any longer, but they're somehow "required" or "forced" to keep writing?

Authors are "forced" because they like money, and there really are very few authors whose whole body of work is loved by fans.  Donaldson has an appropriate quote, paraphrased as: After the first Thomas Covenant trilogy, I thought Stephen Donaldson had millions of fans.  After the performance of my next novels, I realized that Thomas Covenant has millions of fans who don't really care about the author Stephen Donaldson.

Sure, Stephen King can shit out any old manuscript and have it hit the bestseller list.  Most authors, people only care about the setting/series and characters they like and will give the rest a pass.  That means that, to be a full-time author, you need to churn out the stuff that sells.

A popular sideline for established authors now is churning out tie-in fiction.  Moorcock just wrote a Dr. Who novel, Matthew Stover writes Star Wars tie ins, and numerous hard sf authors with middling sales have written Star Trek/Wars/etc tie ins to pay the bills.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3370 on: February 21, 2011, 03:12:54 PM

A popular sideline for established authors now is churning out tie-in fiction.  Moorcock just wrote a Dr. Who novel, Matthew Stover writes Star Wars tie ins, and numerous hard sf authors with middling sales have written Star Trek/Wars/etc tie ins to pay the bills.

All of these that i've perused in the bookstore are very  ACK!

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3371 on: February 21, 2011, 04:55:04 PM

From what I heard, all this is basically from a D&D game he and a friend played 40 years ago. One whole 'riftwar' was supposedly to explain why there was a race of Lizard-men living on some Continent.

Part of the gameworld backstory their DM put together was that the world had gone through four or five "riftwars" where monsters from other planets/whatever had invaded, and the world had been effectively blown up and put back together several times.

He made a fortune of a P&P game he played in the 60s. Well done, Sir.

40 years ago?  That would predate even the first D&D release.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Realistically, rpgs are firmly in the wheelhouse of spec fiction authors.  I'm sure that many of them have adapted interesting bits from their game of choice to go into books/series.

The second book of the new Roger Zelazny collection (really, really swanky set by the way) has an introduction that goes into detail about how a group convinced Zelazny and his girlfriend at the time (Jane Lindskold) to join an rpg group that included George Martin, Melinda Snodgrass, and Walter Jon Williams to play a police/investigative rpg. 

I bet they spent alot of time waiting for Martin's turn...
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3372 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:44 PM

The second book of the new Roger Zelazny collection (really, really swanky set by the way) has an introduction that goes into detail about how a group convinced Zelazny and his girlfriend at the time (Jane Lindskold) to join an rpg group that included George Martin, Melinda Snodgrass, and Walter Jon Williams to play a police/investigative rpg. 

Isn't this basically how Wild Cards came about?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3373 on: February 22, 2011, 08:58:31 AM

Authors are "forced" because they like money, and there really are very few authors whose whole body of work is loved by fans.  Donaldson has an appropriate quote, paraphrased as: After the first Thomas Covenant trilogy, I thought Stephen Donaldson had millions of fans.  After the performance of my next novels, I realized that Thomas Covenant has millions of fans who don't really care about the author Stephen Donaldson.

This explains why the newest Covenant are horrendous shite.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3374 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:21 AM

I really enjoyed the original Ender....Quadrilogy?  Ender's game through Children of the Mind.  They get a bit slow and trippy at points, but I thought it was great hard sci-fi the whole way through.  You should be sure to finish up that series, as its the original core story.

I've never read any of the other prequel books, though Ironwoods description just removed any motivation I had towards doing so.  But I wouldn't let those get in the way of reading the original series.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3375 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:23 PM

This explains why the newest Covenant are horrendous shite.

I'm not a big fan of Donaldson, either the Gap series or the Covenant books.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3376 on: February 22, 2011, 01:15:47 PM

I loved the Covenant books, the character was so anti-hero.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3377 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:22 PM

I prefer the Rincewind kind of anti-hero, not the "I rape 15 year olds" kind. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3378 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:26 PM

I prefer the Rincewind kind of anti-hero, not the "I rape 15 year olds" kind. 

Yeah the character moves well beyond anti-hero into 'loathsome bastard'. Loathsome bastard can work as a central character, sometimes (Cugel the Clever for example), but the Thomas Covenant stuff is just thoroughly unpleasant to read.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3379 on: February 22, 2011, 02:33:17 PM

Yeah, but he was meant to be and he had reason.

What's more hard to forgive is how women get written by Donaldson.  Linden was an utter waste of space and never, ever, ever changed.  It showed you exactly what he thought of women.  What's strange is he admits it himself.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3380 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:34 PM

There was a strong female in the Gap series, though. Yeah, Morn is probably the most abused character in the series, but she DOES end up growing, overcoming obstacles, and plays a prominent role in events. She's neither one-dimensional nor a waste of space.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3381 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:27 AM

Yup.  He'd gotten over the divorce by then.

But then Linden in the new books is also useless.  It's an odd one.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3382 on: February 23, 2011, 07:07:54 PM

Of course now all this talk has gotten me interested in reading the Gap series again, just to relive its awfulness.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3383 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:57 AM

Gap was awesome.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3384 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:40 AM

I didn't like it the first time, but then again I haven't read it since the last book came out so it's been 15 years or so.  I often like books better on the second read through.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3385 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:07 AM

I had to force myself to read the Gap books again simply because I wanted to know how it all ended up, but they just aren't likable books, IMO.  And while I guess Morn could be considered a strong woman, she's just not likable or even sympathetic, IMO.  I just... I have very few series that I've read, kept the books, but honestly don't like them.  It's weird.

I just finished reading "City of Night" by Michelle West and I really enjoyed it.  It's book 2 of the House War arc, which is part of the same overall series as her Sun Sword books.  Definitely gives new insight into already known events and what was going on in the background with Jewel's den.  The next book "House Name" which came out in hardback in January.  I'm impatient enough that I think I'm going to support Sky and hit up my library to see if they have a copy available.  awesome, for real 

I did make the mistake of reading the reviews on Amazon though, most of which just made me  swamp poop  The author made it pretty clear that she's revisiting old history atm, providing more depth into what was going on from the den's PoV, and yet reviewers were bitching about how "House Name" was a rehash of "Hunter's Death".  The next book in the series, "Skirmish", which she's writing now, picks up from when Jewel returns from the South during the war and will be present time.  And on her website West has mentioned the "End of Days" story arc, which I hope means we get to find out more about Kiriel, the two Hunter-born children out west (Stephen's and Gilliam's kids), and more about Isladar.  I really enjoy the world West built for this series.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3386 on: February 24, 2011, 06:35:29 AM

Give up now. I did and I'm a happier person for not having to slog through Erikson's shit anymore. He was a good writer in the beginning who has totally gone off the rails into his own archeological shit and theory the civilization is horribly doomed to dust and ruin. The first 80% of his last three books were total shit.
I disagree. I'm about ten pages shy of finishing Reapers Gale right now and it's his best work outside the Karsa mini-novel introduction. Sure, he gets gloomy and it's pretty obvious where he's pulling the political stuff from, but it lends a realism to the pressures that the Letherii are facing. Where he has really begun to shine is in the softer areas, like when Beak goes to meet his brother or Seren and Trull reunite in the gate chamber. I think that growth lends a fullness to his writing that had been lacking previously, Reapers Gale was a very well-written book.

Ironwood, did you know he dedicated it to Glen Cook?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3387 on: February 24, 2011, 12:02:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blank_Slate

Blowing my MIND. I feel like every page I read is raising my IQ. I've been continuing my study of psychology to better understand myself and others and this one book hits so many avenues in life. It even has insights into things like multiplayer gaming and raid mentality.  awesome, for real

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3388 on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:19 PM

I just finished "The Black Prism", first book in a new trilogy by Brent Weeks, author of the Night Angel series. Despite a magical society that feels like a WoT ripoff, the book was very good.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3389 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:58 PM

Blowing my MIND. I feel like every page I read is raising my IQ. I've been continuing my study of psychology to better understand myself and others and this one book hits so many avenues in life. It even has insights into things like multiplayer gaming and raid mentality.  awesome, for real

It's good but keep in mind that Pinker loads the deck, busily sets up and demolishes straw men, etcetera: he's a very persuasive writer but sometimes plays dirty or fudges.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3390 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:07 PM

It's good but keep in mind that Pinker loads the deck, busily sets up and demolishes straw men, etcetera: he's a very persuasive writer but sometimes plays dirty or fudges.

The book is from 2002, do you know of anything written since that may reinforce or provide a compelling counter-argument? (Wikipedia has one I'll check out after I'm done.)

I've had too much personal experience that seems to reinforce passages from the book. But that may be true for other people. I still have half the book to go through.

Edit: As I read I do see the straw men popping up, but, as an example, I take the ones I've read as an indication not to have full faith in a feeling rather than "all feelings are false." Actually the book does advocate that all feelings are false in some sense...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:59:30 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3391 on: February 24, 2011, 02:11:02 PM

Ironwood, did you know he dedicated it to Glen Cook?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Glen Cook ?  The name escapes me... Did he write anything I'd have heard of ?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3392 on: February 24, 2011, 02:21:56 PM

I decided to read the free copy of Atlas Shrugged that I got through the Apple reader store.  I had never read it before and it reads much more smoothly than I anticipated.  So far I'm enjoying it.  Then I'm still listening to Xenocide on my way to and from work.  Enjoying that as well- much better than I expected.  After that I plan to start on the Black Company Heart
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3393 on: February 24, 2011, 03:06:21 PM

/thanks, as I hesitated in stating something along the same vein, but it's been a few years since I read this. Yes, Pinker is a very smart dude, but I did get the impression that he sees things as it plugs into his narrative, a slant on how they truly are. And when Pinker delves into anthropology, he dives off the cliff…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3394 on: February 24, 2011, 03:52:45 PM

I decided to read the free copy of Atlas Shrugged that I got through the Apple reader store.  I had never read it before and it reads much more smoothly than I anticipated. 

Just wait until John Galt starts speechifying.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: