Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1310658 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1330 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:03 PM

Just what we need... another book about the Waterhouses.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: July 07, 2008, 05:36:11 PM

Just what we need... another book about the Waterhouses.

I for one could stand to read a lot more books involving people named Waterhouse, as long as Neal Stephenson writes them.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: July 08, 2008, 07:36:39 PM

I just picked up Brust's new Taltos book, Jhegaala.  Looks like it'll be a pretty quick read, unfortunately, but it should be good. 
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:00 AM

I just picked up Brust's new Taltos book, Jhegaala.  Looks like it'll be a pretty quick read, unfortunately, but it should be good. 

I'm just waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon.    The Vlad books tend to be fast reads in general, but are usually fun.  Unless it's Teckla. 
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:09 PM

I'm re-reading Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds.  Definitely one of my favourite sci-fi novels.  Partly hard sci-fi but not Culture sci-fi where the characters are unassailable due to technology.  Lots of cool ideas (an indoctrinal virus is very cool) and interesting characters.  Somehow he weaves together four very awesome stories into one character's head.  Normally when an author cuts between multiple story lines you invariably wind up saying "not this shitty story again, I want more of Frodo".  In Chasm City I find myself saying "cool, I wonder what's going to happen now".   
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1335 on: July 09, 2008, 04:12:56 PM

I'm just waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon.    The Vlad books tend to be fast reads in general, but are usually fun.  Unless it's Teckla. 

Bah.  Forgot Brust had a new book out (despite the fact I posted about it earlier in the thread).  Trying to work through the great big pile of books from Amazon UK.

Books 2 and 3 from the John Constantine Felix Castor series by Mike Carey were decent.
Working on Toll the Hounds by Erikson,  but that thing is 800 pages. 

Did pick up Jhegaala and I'm reading it now,  since it looks fast.   Also picked up The Great God Pan because I've been meaning to read it for a while,  though I have fears it will end up partially read and sitting next to my Algernon Blackwood collection, my Dunsany collection, and The King in Yellow.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: July 10, 2008, 12:53:23 AM

Because I discovered that Union Station has a comic book store, I picked up the first trade paperback of Ex Machina.  I'm definitely digging it so far.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1337 on: July 10, 2008, 05:20:14 AM

For some reason I'm stalling like crazy on Modesitt's Order War. I've been trying to read back through the whole Recluse thing because he's written a new (to me) book, and I really enjoyed the series. I've made it maybe sixty pages into Order War and meanwhile read four other books.

Just picked up Baxter's Manifold: Time, despite not liking Baxter's collab with Clarke. Was going to read Foundation again, but the library's copy is gone and I suspect foul play. Not to get into library politics, but Foundation is a book that should be in the collection, it's my fiancee's domain and she doesn't know why it's not there...dum dum DUUUUUM!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: July 10, 2008, 10:07:31 AM

Just picked up Baxter's Manifold: Time, despite not liking Baxter's collab with Clarke. Was going to read Foundation again, but the library's copy is gone and I suspect foul play. Not to get into library politics, but Foundation is a book that should be in the collection, it's my fiancee's domain and she doesn't know why it's not there...dum dum DUUUUUM!
Have you read Manifold: Space and Manifold: Whatever the Fuck THe Third One Was?

It's the same three books (sorta) with the same characters, except it goes through seperate answers to Fermi's Paradox. Except for the last of them, which basically said "Bored now, let's do something almost the same but forget the bulk of that Fermi shit".
WayAbvPar

Reply #1339 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:44 AM

I know you are all wondering about what I am reading. I finished the first 8 books of Dresden (9th is enroute), and am now reading Fever Pitch. I am enjoying it, and see a lot of myself in Mr. Hornby. Next up is The Cheater's Guide To Baseball, and then Dresden book 9 followed by Spook Country (also enroute).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:57 AM

Have you read Manifold: Space and Manifold: Whatever the Fuck THe Third One Was?

It's the same three books (sorta) with the same characters, except it goes through seperate answers to Fermi's Paradox. Except for the last of them, which basically said "Bored now, let's do something almost the same but forget the bulk of that Fermi shit".
The collab with Clarke taught me to only read the first one. I tracked down Foundation, it should be back on the shelf soon and I'll read that next (getting in a couple dozen pages of Order War in the meantime).
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: July 10, 2008, 10:50:27 AM

For some reason I'm stalling like crazy on Modesitt's Order War. I've been trying to read back through the whole Recluse thing because he's written a new (to me) book, and I really enjoyed the series. I've made it maybe sixty pages into Order War and meanwhile read four other books.

I stall on some of his books too. To the point that I actually stop reading them or skip them entirely. The fall of angels or whatever the f it is called comes most clearly to mind.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: July 10, 2008, 02:51:06 PM

Modesitt has some habits that irritate me until I manage to ignore them. In particular his habit of writing out sound effects like whinny, whinny, clippity-clop and clink clink clink. Drives me absolutely crazy.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #1343 on: July 10, 2008, 04:14:23 PM

Can I ask some specific comments on Deadhouse Gates?

200 pages before the end and I thought it was *by far* the best fantasy book I've ever read. The last 200 pages soured it.

Outside the Chain of Dogs, the rest seems to fall apart. A too long list of I-WIN buttons, last minute savings and deus ex machina.

So I wonder, how's the rest of the series? More like the first, consistent part, or like the last?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: July 10, 2008, 04:45:25 PM

Can I ask some specific comments on Deadhouse Gates?

200 pages before the end and I thought it was *by far* the best fantasy book I've ever read. The last 200 pages soured it.

Outside the Chain of Dogs, the rest seems to fall apart. A too long list of I-WIN buttons, last minute savings and deus ex machina.

So I wonder, how's the rest of the series? More like the first, consistent part, or like the last?

Erickson is heavily influenced by Cook,  with a large side of Bujold's statement on her writing:  "What horrible things can I do to my characters now?" 

Story and plot are just there to serve as a crucible to test and tease out the characters,  and to serve out the theme.  Fucked up things happen because they can,  and nothing is assured when you have gods walking around and getting involved.

Also,  Erickson likes to bring characters back to life.  Especially ones who died in terribly trite ways,  but usually at some awful cost.  He also likes to do a classic fantasy buildup/progression of a character (farmboy to hero),  and then kill them in a terribly mundane manner (gets mugged from behind in an alley).

If you have specific questions,  ask or hit me up with a PM if you want to discuss.

Spoilers:

The Heboric/Felisin plotline, for instance:  the whole point is that these good men went through awful, horrible things and made huge sacrifices(Kulp, the Talon assassin),  for a miserable whiny bitch who is so self-centered she refuses to appreciate the sacrifices made.

Who then turns out to be the root cause of the Rebellion.  But there are seeds for her potential redemption....

Coltaine was doomed to be betrayed and die from the second we saw him.  He knew that,  which is why he set up the retreat at the end such that it denied him escape.  He's pretty much your classic Jesus literary allusion, complete with miracles and resurrection in an unspecified manner, so if you spot it early you know he's fucked.

The whole Kalam/Fiddler story-line was a giant con,  which becomes clearer next book.  There was something that Kalam couldn't be talked into,  so Quick Ben and Whiskeyjack sent him to assassinate the Empress (in reality, let Kalam be talked into what Quick and WJ are intending).
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: July 10, 2008, 05:45:59 PM

I'm going to re-recommend:

Pashazade by Jon Courtney Grimwood -- It's alternate history (Turkish Empire never dissolved, no WWII, never a Hitler), set in the Middle East (Egypt I think?  been a while), in the near future.  A very Cyberpunk flair,  with a side of contrasting cultures (West vs. East)

It's a loose trilogy, generally just following and developing the same characters, so you can continue if you want
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #1346 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:02 AM

Book 2 spoilers ahead.

The Heboric/Felisin plotline, for instance:  the whole point is that these good men went through awful, horrible things and made huge sacrifices(Kulp, the Talon assassin),  for a miserable whiny bitch who is so self-centered she refuses to appreciate the sacrifices made.

Who then turns out to be the root cause of the Rebellion.  But there are seeds for her potential redemption....
I have to say that I absolutely loved, through the end, both the Chain of Dogs storyline, and the Felisin one. And everything involved.

Loved the depth of characterization and evolution. What I didn't like is the part where Fiddler and the others arrive at the Azath, and Kalam as he arrives in the Malaz bay. Everything from that point onward.

The whole Kalam/Fiddler story-line was a giant con,  which becomes clearer next book.  There was something that Kalam couldn't be talked into,  so Quick Ben and Whiskeyjack sent him to assassinate the Empress
I'll see how it goes. What I didn't like is that it denied an explanation I had about the plot in the first, that the second book justified.

With the revelation that Shadowthrone is Kellanved the Sorry possession made a little more sense, especially what Topper says to Paran in chapter three. He says that the threat was about Sorry trying to take over the Bridgeburners and use them, along with Dujek, to rise a rebellion. So it made sense, for the Empress, to outlaw Dujek and go to the core of the threat (Sorry). It was implied that it was Shadowthrone, taking the lead of his old army, that menace.

It was Kellanved trying to return, and gathering again his faction (Bridgeburners).

And now everything is negated. Dujek is loyal to the Empress, everything was planned to disguise the Malazan army and join forces against the Pannion domin. And this just doesn't make sense with the rest, with Shadowthrone's plan, the destruction of Bridgeburners, the High Mage ecc...

It basically broke a nice explanation I had made.

Story and plot are just there to serve as a crucible to test and tease out the characters,  and to serve out the theme.  Fucked up things happen because they can,  and nothing is assured when you have gods walking around and getting involved.
Yet, up to what I read, the gods have the weakest and inconclusive plans.

Shadowthrone seems to have no aim, others barely enter the scene at all. I still have to see some serious and motivated interference, for now they just sit back and watch.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: July 11, 2008, 01:35:23 PM

I am currently in the process of reading The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best books I've ever read. It seems to have a lot in common with the little of Dostoevsky I've read with some really deep characterisation and the exploration of philosophical and political themes alongside some pretty raw descriptions of jungle warfare. I can't believe he wrote the thing at at age 25... it makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life all this time.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: July 11, 2008, 06:51:57 PM

Jhegaala was pretty good.  Not his best, but still good if you're a Brust fan.  But, if you are, you probably will read it anyway....

Even compared to his general standard of quick reads, this one seemed like a much lighter read, though.  I can't point at any one part of it and say that it should have been longer, but...it could have used something more. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:05 AM

Despite dire warnings and spoilers in this thread, I mentioned to my fiancee I wanted to read The Historian. She and a friend hit a book sale on friday and got me a copy (cheap cheap). I just finished Baxter's Manifold: Time, eh s'okay. I won't read the rest. Cat was asleep on my lap for the first time, so I didn't want to get up, and The Historian was on the table. So far I'm really enjoying it, maybe 75 pages in. The structure is almost lovecraftian, without the touchstones of the lovecraft vocabulary.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:15 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1351 on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:52 AM

My copy of Reaper's Gale has 30+ pages missing starting around page 541 and ending at around 570+.  In the place of those pages is reprinting of earlier pages.  NOT HAPPY.  Fuck.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: July 14, 2008, 10:50:11 AM

When I was a kid I had one of those choose your own adventure books :  The Ninja series (avenger, way of the tiger, inferno, I think) and the final couple of 'chooses' were misnumbered.

You have no idea how often I read that book trying for a fucking ending....

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:12 PM

Is there a recap page for the Malazan series like there is for Song of Ice and Fire? I just got Bonehunters in mass paperback and half the time I'm trying to remember who the heck specific people are, why certain remarks are significant and frankly, wondering wtf is going on. That's exaggerating a bit, but seriously, I get so lost in names, places and events that I spend more time trying to remember them than reading and enjoying the book.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:45 PM

Picked up The Drunkard's Walk from audible.  It's been a fun listen so far as it discusses the history and scien of probability theory and it's applications.   
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:33 AM

When I was a kid I had one of those choose your own adventure books :  The Ninja series (avenger, way of the tiger, inferno, I think) and the final couple of 'chooses' were misnumbered.

You have no idea how often I read that book trying for a fucking ending....
Was it published by Obsidian?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1356 on: July 16, 2008, 12:59:30 AM

Heh.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: July 16, 2008, 03:28:47 AM

I am currently in the process of reading The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best books I've ever read. It seems to have a lot in common with the little of Dostoevsky I've read with some really deep characterisation and the exploration of philosophical and political themes alongside some pretty raw descriptions of jungle warfare. I can't believe he wrote the thing at at age 25... it makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life all this time.
I read Naked and the Dead a few years ago.  It's a great experience.  The general character reminds me a lot of Nick Nolte Colonel in the movie of Thin Red Line (which is also a fantastic WW2 novel).
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:19 AM

I finished reading 'Foucault's Pendulum' finally. Took me all holidays because I was taking it very slow but it was worth it. I highly recommend it to pretensious types.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:38 AM

Pretentious.

I loved it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1360 on: July 16, 2008, 09:23:38 AM

I got Little Brother by Cory Doctorow for my birthday and am about halfway through it already.  It's a "twenty minutes into the future" sort of thing about teenager hackers rebelling against the Department of Homeland Security after the Patriot Act II passes.

Apart from the excessive name-dropping (yes, I get it, it's set in San Francisco and you did extensive geographical research on Google Maps so as not to seem like a twat like most authors who set stories in areas they don't live in, and you don't seem to have committed any gross errors so good for you, now stop describing every street plzthx), I'm enjoying it a lot and am having trouble putting it down.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: July 16, 2008, 08:18:23 PM

I loved it.

It's really very good indeed. Not at all what I expected of it, though. I have read a couple of his other books (Rose, Baudolino) and heard a bit about it so I had certain expectations going in... but it was much more than that. For anyone else looking to read it be warned that the blurb on the back is just to sell it--moreso than normally--and that that part of the story doesn't really start (if it ever does) until you are a fair way in.

The books is a bit of a mess in a way, and it was that which I enjoyed the most. I love a book where the author spills a bit in every direction, especially if they are a good author; and Eco really lets himself loose and is an excellent one. I read it in English and the translation felt exceptional.

It has made me want to read his other fiction (I'm not so keen on his essays, which I have flipped through), but it's back to school and I have a whole lot of other stuff to read for the next 4 months instead. Alas.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:23:27 PM by lamaros »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: July 17, 2008, 12:01:27 AM

Reading Brysons History of Everything.

It's compelling stuff.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: July 17, 2008, 05:36:19 AM

Jhegaala was pretty good.  Not his best, but still good if you're a Brust fan.  But, if you are, you probably will read it anyway....

Even compared to his general standard of quick reads, this one seemed like a much lighter read, though.  I can't point at any one part of it and say that it should have been longer, but...it could have used something more. 

Yah.  It seemed a bit shallower than normal.  Still a fan though, and I'll be looking forward to the next one.   

Also just picked up Green Lantern: Rebirth.  Damn that was a fun read.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1364 on: July 18, 2008, 01:28:27 PM

The general character reminds me a lot of Nick Nolte Colonel in the movie of Thin Red Line (which is also a fantastic WW2 novel).
Looks like I'm reading that book too then!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: