Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 08:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 459041 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6300 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:14 PM

Just finished book one of The Red Queens War series by Mark Lawrence, which has a pretty good (and amusing) first person narrative. The story itself is a fairly typical fantasy quest trope, but I felt it was pretty well executed. Onto the 2nd book!

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6301 on: June 30, 2017, 12:56:39 PM

Just picked it up - for $4 it's good light reading, and I will probably pick up book 2.  I do think there's a lot of missed opportunity in it.  There's options for interesting storytelling that get largely hand-waved away, such as his adaptation to life as a machine and escape from his mechanical/programming constraints.   Instead we get stuff like the whole bob-as-bad-anthropologist sections on Delta, and how awesome their life in VR is.  Also, pop culture dialed to 11.
Yeah, just finished it and picked up the second book. It's "protagonist as excuse to present pop science" in the Niven model (which is lampshaded in the opening chapter), but it scans well and avoids the "all these characters sound the same" problem by making all the characters the same guy.

It's not great literature, but it's decent pulp.

--Dave
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:05:41 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #6302 on: June 30, 2017, 03:41:50 PM

The second Bob book is unfortunately not as interesting as the first.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6303 on: July 07, 2017, 01:10:53 AM

Well, I finished Lord of Light.

It was alright. Dated, but ok. I don't know if it was great, though.

Expect poison from the standing water.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6304 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:05 AM

I re-read it a few years ago. I think it holds up pretty well. The flashback structure of the plot is a bit clumsy and the last struggle against Nirriti comes off like an afterthought, but it's pretty impressive overall.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6305 on: July 11, 2017, 09:59:12 PM

Slowly working my way through all the books I bought, I have now finished The Goblin Emperor.

It was enjoyable. A but drawn out and boring at points, but overall a decent tale. Certainly a lot more enjoyable than Uprooted, more readable but not as good as Station Eleven perhaps.

I think I'll try and finish Last First Snow next, but I got pretty bored and stopped last time around, the first three Craft Sequence books were more engrossing, but I note there's a fifth out now too.

Expect poison from the standing water.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6306 on: August 22, 2017, 06:51:49 PM

Anyone have the Dark Tower series in e-book format? I borrowed the first one from the library and had to jump through several hoops to strip the DRM so I could convert it into something readable on my Kindle, and I don't have the will to do it again. Not interested in dumping ~$70 on the series, since I wasn't blown away by the first book. Decent, but meh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6307 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:04 PM

Recent reads:

Three-Body Problem. I want to like this so much more than I do. It's really a clunky read, the ideas are interesting.

Pinker, Better Angels of our Nature. Just, fuck, he's such a smug guy that I have a hard time reading even the interesting parts without wanting to slap the smirk off his face. But basically, it's an argument with some merits but also a lot of serious bullshit in the evidentiary arguments that none of his usual cheerleader squad will notice or care about.

Kay, Children of Earth and Sky. Sequel to the Sarantium books. Very good. Like it better than his Viking or China books, which felt a bit off.

Hochschild, Strangers in Their Own Land. Everyone should read this instead of Hillbilly Elegy. More interesting to talk about by far.

Gottlieb, Avid Reader. I should like this but it's way too self-indulgent. Don't understand the great reviews for it.

Mieville, October. Good solid retelling of the Russian Revolution. Thoughtful and well-researched.

Livingston, No More Work. He wanted to call it Fuck Work but his editor wouldn't allow it. It's very interesting. He's a very different kind of leftist, doesn't fit with anyone's orthodoxy.

Beukes, Zoo City. Fucking loved this, but maybe that's because I know the setting so well.

McGuire, Every Heart a Doorway. Loved it.

Seierstad, One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway. God. This was one of the most upsetting things I've read in a long time. Just. Fuck.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6308 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:37 PM

Anyone have the Dark Tower series in e-book format? I borrowed the first one from the library and had to jump through several hoops to strip the DRM so I could convert it into something readable on my Kindle, and I don't have the will to do it again. Not interested in dumping ~$70 on the series, since I wasn't blown away by the first book. Decent, but meh.

The local friends of the library might have the books used for 50 cents each.  There's no reason the series should cost $70.  Even used off Amazon is likely only $28.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6309 on: September 06, 2017, 08:40:28 PM

I accidentally read a Star Wars universe book, Legionnaire, which turned out to be quite good. The whole story takes place from the view point of a legionnaire (aka SEAL) in the Republic military. I didn't even realize it was part of the Star Wars universe until I started to read the second book in the series Galactic Outlaws (hey, wait a minute .. I know those places!). The 2nd book felt disjointed to me, but the 3rd book was much better. There's 4 books currently in the Galaxy's Edge Book series, with the 4th due out Sept 14th.

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: