Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1310607 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5285 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:01 AM

Really, really enjoyed James S.A. Corey's series The Expanse ...

Been reading Leviathan Wakes, which is pretty good .. but now,  really? Come on.

- Viin
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5286 on: August 12, 2013, 02:56:38 PM

It gets worse.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #5287 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:49 PM

I haven't read The Madness Season but I also liked her Coldfire Trilogy books - Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, and Crown of Shadows.  There is a scifi element (humans traveled to another world) but then it goes off into a more fantasy direction... kinda. 

I'm about halfway into Black Sun Rising now and enjoying it so far.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5288 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:56 PM

I realize I've become a boring adult when I look at my recent/current reading list and see it's mostly nonfiction.  "Twain's Feast," "Free Culture," "Tales of the San Francisco Cacophony Society", and "Breakfast: A History".  What happened to me?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5289 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:58 PM

San Francisco  why so serious?

I don't think I've read a non-fiction book for fun since Bruce Campbell's autobiography was released.

Finished Way of Kings and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Way of King was really interesting and didn't hit the usual snags that I do when reading Sanderson.  I just hate that he has some giant 10 book arc for it.  The dude has like 10+ projects going at the same time, which means he'll finish this goddamn thing when I'm nearing 60.  Gaiman, while a delight to read, is a giant asshole for releasing a novella for a full novel's price.  That was a really quick read, and not in a good way.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:43:24 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5290 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

I realize I've become a boring adult when I look at my recent/current reading list and see it's mostly nonfiction.  "Twain's Feast," "Free Culture," "Tales of the San Francisco Cacophony Society", and "Breakfast: A History".  What happened to me?
I went through a couple years where I didn't read any fiction. I still probably read more nonfic now, but it's mostly educational (color theory or wiring or small engines etc).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #5291 on: August 14, 2013, 06:59:42 AM

I haven't read The Madness Season but I also liked her Coldfire Trilogy books - Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, and Crown of Shadows.  There is a scifi element (humans traveled to another world) but then it goes off into a more fantasy direction... kinda. 

I'm about halfway into Black Sun Rising now and enjoying it so far.  Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem!  I haven't reread the books in a while, I may have to do that since I brought them up.

I just got Warbreaker by Sanderson and started it.  Forgot to bring my Nook to work so I can't keep reading at lunch today.  Maybe I'll download to my phone and keep going there.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #5292 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:04 AM

I'm reading the worst book right now, but have to see it through to it's end.

Not only is it terrible, it's a sequel. Hexed by Kevin Hearne. It's a Dresden rip off with a 2,000 year old Druid living in Phoenix and fighting Nazi witches dressed like 80s glam rock groupies. It's horribly cliched, misogynistic and awful but can't seem to just walk away from it.

I'll need a good book to cleanse my palate after this one.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #5293 on: August 14, 2013, 09:53:36 AM

Not only is it terrible, it's a sequel. Hexed by Kevin Hearne. It's a Dresden rip off with a 2,000 year old Druid living in Phoenix and fighting Nazi witches dressed like 80s glam rock groupies. It's horribly cliched, misogynistic and awful but can't seem to just walk away from it.

Oh.

I have all 6 of the Iron Druid Chronicles books and I love them. 

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #5294 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:11 PM

I started reading Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, which are surprisingly good and easy to read.  Lots of funny stuff so far, who knew?

And some of it is eerily prescient:

On the Gutenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4367
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #5295 on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:40 PM

Oh.

I have all 6 of the Iron Druid Chronicles books and I love them. 

ACK!

Well, to be fair - I am going to finish it and I'm not afraid to walk away from books.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5296 on: August 15, 2013, 07:02:50 AM

Anyone have any SF/F recommendations? The best stuff they've read that I might not have gotten to yet? I feel the need for a really really good book.

Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny -- My favorite Zelazny book, and a true classic.  Most Zelazny is pretty good, but he wrote in an era when you had to churn out work to make a modest living so he does have some stinkers....  especially co-written books.  The Amber books are also something you should read.  The first five are amazing, the second five (with a new protagonist) aren't as good.

The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe -- His most famous and well-regarded work.  Basically considered one of the great sff authors.  You can substitute the Latro books, or Wizard-Knight, or a best of short story book.  He likes his unreliable narrators, and his books are pretty dense.

Magic for Beginners, Kelly Link -- Recent.  Link is very well regarded but no one reads her.  It's a short story/novella collection and is more magical realism than anything else.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5297 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:21 AM

The Deathstalker series is a great space opera if you want something light but fun.

- Viin
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5298 on: August 15, 2013, 09:07:19 AM

Anyone have any SF/F recommendations? The best stuff they've read that I might not have gotten to yet? I feel the need for a really really good book.

Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny -- My favorite Zelazny book, and a true classic.  Most Zelazny is pretty good, but he wrote in an era when you had to churn out work to make a modest living so he does have some stinkers....  especially co-written books.  The Amber books are also something you should read.  The first five are amazing, the second five (with a new protagonist) aren't as good.

Lord of Light is one of my favorite books of all time, not just in my top sci-fi books.  I reread it once a year or so. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5299 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:28 AM

That's the way I feel about Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I must have read it a dozen times by now.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5300 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:03 AM

The Deathstalker series is a great space opera if you want something light but fun.

I never really got into the Deathstalker series for some reason even though I really liked the same author's Nightside series (and actually have all of them somewhere on my bookshelves) which was a cheesy copy of Butcher's Dresden Files.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #5301 on: August 15, 2013, 11:32:23 AM

Simon Green is kinda a terrible author, who mostly just rewrites the same plots using almost the exact same dialog in every single book, regardless of setting.  The first book in any given series he writes is fairly good, but that's about where I'd draw the line, and I've read most of the nightside and deathstalker books.  He like characters with book ending deus ex machina powers a bit too much also.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5302 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:14 AM

No one said he was amazing, but they are easy to read, decent, and you can blow through the whole series in a couple of weeks. It's like watching network television.

- Viin
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5303 on: August 15, 2013, 12:27:59 PM

That's the way I feel about Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I must have read it a dozen times by now.

Another great one, and one I need to reread sometime soon as well. 

To add another recommendation, awhile back I read The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.  It's been criticized for being a bit difficult to get into at first, but I thought it was a pretty good story overall.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5304 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:35 PM

Grant's memoirs are one of the great unexpected classics of American autobiography. Everyone was surprised when they came out and have stayed surprised ever since.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5305 on: August 15, 2013, 06:47:02 PM

No one said he was amazing, but they are easy to read, decent, and you can blow through the whole series in a couple of weeks. It's like watching network television.
That's pretty much exactly it. I read it, well, for that. "I need a book to read here, but one I can pick up and put down. But that's fairly engaging. Oh, Simon Green".
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5306 on: August 15, 2013, 08:16:07 PM

That's pretty much exactly it. I read it, well, for that. "I need a book to read here, but one I can pick up and put down. But that's fairly engaging. Oh, Simon Green".

Sigh.

lamaros specifically asked for "the best stuff you've read" so I threw out a few books that regularly make lists of top SF/F reads that I really enjoyed.  It was followed up by "Simon Green's Deathstalker isn't terrible for a cheesy space opera".

Simon Green is kinda shitty, and I say that as someone who liked his over-the-top pulpy Nightside books as light reading.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5307 on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:57 PM

You're right, it doesn't fit that criteria.

Not knowing what you've read, here some random SF that I consider good:

Dune
Early Heinlein
Asimov Foundation series
Ender's Game
Spin / Axis (Robert Wilson)
Battlefield Earth

I also thought Peter Hamilton's Mindstar series was good, though a bit space opera-like. More good popcorn sci-fi: Gammalaw series, Scazli's various books, X-wing series, etc

And Banks has some good sci-fi, of course.

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5308 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:36 PM

Did you seriously put an L Ron Hubbard book on that list?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5309 on: August 16, 2013, 05:14:54 AM

I didn't like Ender's Game - didn't even finish it. I was not surprised later to find that Card was an insane asshole. Something about the tone of the book rubbed me the wrong way almost immediately.

I also read mostly nonfiction now. Maybe I'm at the point where I find the real world is as interesting as imaginary stuff, or where escapism has little appeal, or where accumulating knowledge is more interesting. (When?) But also I just don't like most modern science fiction. And by "modern" I mean from 1980s onward. I don't think that's me just being an old fuddy duddy either, it's more that what's been in vogue doesn't appeal to me, in terms of content, form and style. I was never a fan of IP based fiction or long series and that seems to be the trend these days. I love reading a self-contained novel with original characters that just starts when it starts and ends at the end and that's it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5310 on: August 16, 2013, 06:43:51 AM

I read Battlefield Earth when I was like 14, had no idea who L Ron Hubbard was and rather enjoyed the book. Even re-read it a couple of times.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5311 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:32 PM

I read Battlefield Earth when I was like 14, had no idea who L Ron Hubbard was and rather enjoyed the book. Even re-read it a couple of times.
It's not bad if you're 14. There's no hard science, it's basically Mister Awesome conquers the Aliens and Gets the Girl, and all the scientology shit just goes over your head or you think "Oh, 1950s, how dumb you were!".

Good sci-fi, though...hmm. I'm fond of Charles Stross, but most of his sci-fi leaves me slightly depressed. (His latest, Neptune's Brood, might well be entilted "A brief exploration of how unless we invent FTL, which we won't, and anti-gravity and Star Trek shields, we ain't colonizing shit. It's hard enough for robots".

Modesitt has some decent stuff -- Parafaith War is one. He's generally either focusing on Space Mormans or Space Ethics. (The latter variations of "What do you do when everyone is superhuman? or How do you handle scarcity in a high-tech society" or whatnot).

Vernor Vinge should be on the list.
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #5312 on: August 17, 2013, 10:37:52 AM

I thought Hell Ship by Philip Palmer was really good.  It also made me sad.

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5313 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:14 AM

I am reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  While it is not a departure for him, it is a bit different than some of his recent stuff.  If you read It and were a fan of that book, then I highly recommend i11/22/63.  Not because it is like It in any way - which it is not.  But because the protagonist visits Derry in 1958 - when the "bad stuff" was happening.  I really got a kick out of how King put a new character back into one of his old settings. 

I have never played WoW.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5314 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:24 AM

Someone needs to make a best of SF/F list that excludes all coming of age scenarios, there seems to be too much young adult getting into the mix.  I didn't mind this when I was younger but it annoys me know that I am an old fart.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5315 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:46 AM

I haven't read the Wheel of Time series, is it worth going through? I'm just wondering if it's an example of a good fantasy epic, or whether starting it would hook me into a frustrating waste of time.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5316 on: August 21, 2013, 11:22:08 AM

Meh.  Read the first one through to where they split-up the group.  If you're not interested by then forget about it because you'll hate it for the later parts.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5317 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:44 AM

The first book is deceptive. It's really good epic fantasy and makes you think the other 11 volumes are worth the effort. I made it through 5. If you don't like copious descriptions of dresses and annoying character traits repeated ad inifinitum in the place of actual character development, don't fucking bother.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5318 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:14 AM

I haven't read the Wheel of Time series, is it worth going through? I'm just wondering if it's an example of a good fantasy epic, or whether starting it would hook me into a frustrating waste of time.

No.  It's not worth going through.  It's awful.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5319 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:18 AM

I'm not sure it's awful. Jordan has some the best world building out there, bar none. I can still get caught thinking about how things were at various periods in "this history." I always got the sense that he knew the history for his entire landmass, from the epic scale to the more mundane. There are also moments of brilliance in the story scattered throughout the series. However, the middle to latter half is bogged down by all sorts of his own neurosis and quirks.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: