Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1296218 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: October 27, 2007, 02:23:42 AM

Ever read Tailchaser's Song?
I've seen it around but I've always avoided it. I've been burned before when an author becomes successful and suddenly their publisher reprints all of their old stuff to cash in on the new popularity. Is it worth picking up?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: October 27, 2007, 03:22:40 AM

Ever read Tailchaser's Song?
I've seen it around but I've always avoided it. I've been burned before when an author becomes successful and suddenly their publisher reprints all of their old stuff to cash in on the new popularity. Is it worth picking up?

Yeah, it really is. I frankly thought I was going to hate it (it's about the internal lives of cats), but it was surprisingly good. In some ways, it's his best work -- and like I said, I'm not a cat person and the whole concept of the book wasn't something I was terribly interested in. He has real talent, and it shows there.

Lamoros: Wow, you missed....everything. I didn't think it was possible to so totally misread an author. Perhaps your dislike of the style he writes in just got in the way, but if you're getitng cliched and inconsistant characters, no skill with dialogue, and characters lacking their own voices -- I'm actually wondering if someone snuck Neil's name onto another author's work as a practical joke for you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:30:36 AM by Morat20 »
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #947 on: October 27, 2007, 06:00:25 AM

Because Jordan finally kicked the bucket, I decided to get a leg up on finishing the damn Wheel of Time series. So I started reading book 5 and I figured out what's wrong with the series. It's a goddamn romance novel masquerading as an epic fantasy. 100 pages in, and the only things that have fucking happened are a bunch of twaddling about who loves who and who is bethrothed to who. 100 pages in and Rand finally fights some damn Shadow dogs and I'm sure it'll be another 100 pages of the same shit after the dogs.

This will be difficult.
Book five is still supposed to be a good one. The worse is in books 8-9-10.

So it will be harder than what you think.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: October 27, 2007, 08:50:11 PM

I know you guys are having fun "discussing" why Gaimon, et all suck, but I wanted to let everyone know that I've discovered this:

The Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod

If you like vampires and Dick Tracy-esque detective stories, you'll probably like it. I've been looking for the first couple books in his series for awhile, but now they come in a two volume set. Enjoy!

- Viin
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: October 27, 2007, 11:11:43 PM

How dare you re-rail this thread, Viin.  How dare you.

Morat, I agree with lamaros, and I don't think we're going to convince each other with arguing.  I think Gaiman writes entertaining, but shallow, books.  You think there's more depth than I'm seeing.  We really need a cage match emoticon-thingy.     

I'm a bit under 200 pages in to Stirling's Dies the Fire and am noticing a trend from his Island in the Sea of Time books - Some of the main characters are just too perfect/ubermen-esque (Havel in this case).  I can live with that, though - watching the world fall apart more than makes up for some character issues.

The Vampire Files sounds interesting - I've been looking for some books with a slight World of Darkness feel (with less angst), I might check it out.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: October 27, 2007, 11:45:30 PM

I've just finished the third book in the Dies the Fire series - A Meeting at Corvallis. I think I've read pretty much all of Stirling's stuff at this point and you're right - the protagonist is always just too perfect. He inevitably has amazing fighting skills, a wonderful personality, and he always gets the girl. Everyone around him is designed to show off his wonderfulness and is usually a bit of a cardboard cut out.

His ideas are good enough that it makes up for the shallow characterizations though, IMO.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: October 28, 2007, 12:18:03 AM

I think Stirling might actually be aware of this tendency in his writing, especially after reading The Peshawar Lancers.  The protagonist was so James Bond over-the-top superhero there's no way he wasn't doing that on purpose.  However, like Reg said, he's still a very good read.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:34 PM

Read a couple of books in the last few days.

Mr. Darwin's Shooter was the first. It is about Syms Covington, Charles Darwin's servant during his time on the Beagle and a couple of years beyond. It's historical fiction by an Australian writer and deals most prominently with the relationship between evolution and other conceptions of life. This is mostly done with the obvious subjects: the Biblical concept of creation and Darwin's theory advanced in The Origin of Species, but it also ties it to an examination of human relationships (notably friendship) and the passage of a individual life. As such it aims highly and tries to do a bit more than it achieves. I thought it was good, but that it doesn't really convince overly in its setting and that its comments on its issues come off as being more cursory than insightful. The prose is great at times but is overwritten it parts. I had the feeling that it was a bit too concerned with form rather than content; it doesn't have the real weight to it that I had hoped. Not too long a read, though not short, and interesting nevertheless.

Time's Arrow was the second. Reasonably well known novel about the holocaust, notable for the fact it is an account of a life lived in reverse. It is done quite well, even brilliantly at times, in drawing humor and emotion from this reversal but doesn't manage to build as strongly on this over the course of the novel as I had hoped. I felt the ending was a bit flat and the afterward furthered the feeling that it drew to much from other works and didn't have enough of its own unique voice. A nice and short (175 pages) easy read though. Funny, clever, and touching enough for me to recommend.

Trying now to read a behemoth of a book about Scott and the Antarctic. Non-fiction. Not sure if I'll manage.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:25:01 PM by lamaros »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: October 29, 2007, 08:11:59 AM

New Covenant is out.  I'm going to buy and read it just to see if it can be as fucking show-stoppingly awful as Runes of the Earth.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: October 29, 2007, 08:25:10 AM

I liked Runes of the Earth. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait on reading the new one. It's close enough to Christmas now that I'll get in trouble buying myself something like that.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: October 29, 2007, 08:49:57 AM

Liked in what sense ?

I'm geniunely curious, like a guy who comes across a dead body or one of those strange circus freaks.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: October 29, 2007, 09:12:55 AM

I enjoyed all of the previous Covenant books too and it was nice seeing what had happened to the Land this time.

I'm not a frothing fan boy about it but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm willing to pay the money to get it in hard cover. Seems you're willing to do the same - which is a bit odd if you really think it's going to be so "show stoppingly awful."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: October 29, 2007, 09:27:00 AM

I know you guys are having fun "discussing" why Gaimon, et all suck, but I wanted to let everyone know that I've discovered this:

The Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod

If you like vampires and Dick Tracy-esque detective stories, you'll probably like it. I've been looking for the first couple books in his series for awhile, but now they come in a two volume set. Enjoy!

Charlie Huston has written a couple books that are noirish vampire novels,  pretty good if depressing, Already Dead and No Dominion.  Huston is mostly a crime genre guy,  so it's crime genre but some characters happen to be vampires.  Treated as a medical condition,  and heavy allegory to HIV/AIDS and drug addiction.  In other words,  not thinly veiled erotica/author wish-fulfillment.

Steven Brust also has a book in similar vein,  called Agyar.  Enjoyable.

I remember Elrod's books as being fun.  Sort of a "what if" you wrote 1930's mob fiction,  but one character is a vampire.  Been a while since I read it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: October 29, 2007, 09:47:42 AM

I enjoyed all of the previous Covenant books too and it was nice seeing what had happened to the Land this time.

I'm not a frothing fan boy about it but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm willing to pay the money to get it in hard cover. Seems you're willing to do the same - which is a bit odd if you really think it's going to be so "show stoppingly awful."

I'm a complicated man and no-one understands me but my women.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: October 29, 2007, 10:18:40 AM

It's been a few years since I've read Runes of the Earth and to be honest I don't remember it well enough that I can say exactly what I liked about it other than it was by Donaldson and about the Land.  What was it that made it so bad for you?  Too much Linden Avery? I can understand that...
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: October 29, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

He bangs a hot Aiel chick in there somewhere as well :p

Overall, I really liked Wheel of Time up through the 5th book (liked the action overall, and loved the ending.  Origin of the Tinkers/Aiel/Bore was neat).  It wasn't untill the 6th book that it hit the wall. 

The Aiel were one of the reasons I really, truly started hating the series.  They were as goddamn annoying (if not more so) than the stupid aes sedai.  Were I Rand, I can't think of a single bloody one I wouldn't punch square in the face every time they opened their mouth.

That includes the ones he's screwing.  *Especially* them.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #961 on: October 30, 2007, 08:24:17 AM

I think you could actually say that about most of the characters in Wheel of Time. What started out as interesting character traits turned into everyone in the series either being a fucking retard, a complete cunt or a whiny bitchfaced wanker. Even the Forsaken were twats.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: October 30, 2007, 08:41:22 AM

He bangs a hot Aiel chick in there somewhere as well :p

Overall, I really liked Wheel of Time up through the 5th book (liked the action overall, and loved the ending.  Origin of the Tinkers/Aiel/Bore was neat).  It wasn't untill the 6th book that it hit the wall. 

The Aiel were one of the reasons I really, truly started hating the series.  They were as goddamn annoying (if not more so) than the stupid aes sedai.  Were I Rand, I can't think of a single bloody one I wouldn't punch square in the face every time they opened their mouth.

That includes the ones he's screwing.  *Especially* them.

The Aiel are the Fremen from Dune IMO. So close that I'd sue if I was in Herbert's estate. I liked Moiraine and the female Forsaken who was in love with Rand. I lost interest in the series not long after they both died. I think it'd have been much more interesting to explore a love/hate relationship with Rand and the female Forsaken than to see Rand's Harem build up over several books. That and the only woman he was screwing I actually liked was Min and Jordan came perilously close to fucking her up too.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: October 30, 2007, 12:13:19 PM

It's been a few years since I've read Runes of the Earth and to be honest I don't remember it well enough that I can say exactly what I liked about it other than it was by Donaldson and about the Land.  What was it that made it so bad for you?  Too much Linden Avery? I can understand that...
I actually enjoyed the several pages of Donaldson basically explaining his views on what the previous books were about -- Covenant's dealmaking, basically, constantly screwing himself down the line until he was finally willing to simply do what had to be done with no weasling out.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: October 30, 2007, 01:02:31 PM

What did you think of Runes of the Earth? There was very little Covenant in that at all. The story was told almost entirely from Linden Avery's perspective. She still annoys me but I did enjoy the way he filled in a lot of background about the history of the Land.

This new book has a lot more Covenant in it. The first couple of chapters are up on Donaldson's website and I read those even though I'm still being virtuous and letting someone buy me the damned book for Christmas. :)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: October 30, 2007, 02:21:16 PM

What did you think of Runes of the Earth? There was very little Covenant in that at all. The story was told almost entirely from Linden Avery's perspective. She still annoys me but I did enjoy the way he filled in a lot of background about the history of the Land.

This new book has a lot more Covenant in it. The first couple of chapters are up on Donaldson's website and I read those even though I'm still being virtuous and letting someone buy me the damned book for Christmas. :)
I don't recall much, to be honest -- I read it when it came out, and hadn't really touched it since. I remember thinking his little forward was very interesting as he stated pretty clearly some connections I had only half-guessed, and I remember being annoyed by Avery's general cluelessness. Shit changes, it's been 5000 years, these aren't the Harachui you remember, and all that.

Then again, Covenent was damn fish out of water the second time around too. I miss Mhoram. He was the only bloody character in the entire series who really seemed to understand.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:49 PM

I am DROWNING in books. I finally decided to start unpacking the 30 boxes I got when my dad died. I have no idea how to deal with this. I guess I'll sorty them by genre and then by author, but sorting through 30 boxes of books is hell. I started pretty carefully and by the second box I just said fuck it and started putting them on bookshelves because I need to be able to see them.

Well I'm going to need about 6 more bookshelves, even putting 2 rows of books on each shelf, just to get them all somplace so I can *start* organizing. I suspect I'll get rid of a lot of the mystery/crime stuff.

Also I need to clean them because they are all super dusty.

Anyone have experience with this sort of stuff. I need some sort of book-arranging McGyver.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: November 03, 2007, 12:03:09 AM

The only way I've found it doable is by Title or Author, alphabetically. Otherwise I tend to forget what genre I've put things under, etc and the whole thing ceases to be sorted.

I also tent to just put new stuff in a separate bookcase and then once I have enough new stuff and have the time I redo the whole lot.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #968 on: November 03, 2007, 08:30:48 AM

If only someone would come up with a system to index this stuff.  That'd be awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #969 on: November 03, 2007, 10:03:42 AM

Go for chronological order!  It's more time-consuming, but you'll find that you didn't need to do anything next weekend anyway!
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: November 03, 2007, 10:27:48 AM

After seeing it talked about a bit, I found The Lies of Locke Lamore while out of town last week, and picked it up.  Very entertaining read, moreso than alot of books I've read recently.  I've got the 2nd book in the series on order and should have it in hand Monday.  As the first is in paperback, I'd definitely recommend picking it up to give it a try. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: November 03, 2007, 11:30:36 AM

I've just been rereading old books I have on the shelves since I don't feel like heading out to the bookstores lately.  I've become so much more selective with what I read lately, I don't find much I feel like dropping $7-$8 on anymore.  I used to be more willing to try random books when they were cheaper, but that's almost a given.

I've got a question to ask though, or actually more like opinions on what I should do with some periodicals I have.  I've been a subscriber to Azimov's and Analog SF for years now (going on 15+ I think), and I still have all the magazines I've gotten.  They aren't all in the best of condition (post office sometimes mangles the covers) and I can't get the mailing label off them all.  My question is - what's the best thing to do with them all?  I feel like throwing them all away (even if I recycle) would be a waste, yet I doubt they are in good enough condition to donate.  Sell them on eBay or something else like that?  I've got the majority boxed up and stacked in my office, but I don't want to keep having to do that.  Some of the stories in here are "first draft" versions that ended up being expanded into full novels afterwards, some only appeared in the magazine and no where else.... I just don't want to toss these out though, so I'm stuck for a solution.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: November 03, 2007, 06:47:04 PM

I've just been rereading old books I have on the shelves since I don't feel like heading out to the bookstores lately.  I've become so much more selective with what I read lately, I don't find much I feel like dropping $7-$8 on anymore.  I used to be more willing to try random books when they were cheaper, but that's almost a given.

Heard of Libraries?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:04 PM

Last night I picked up the hardcover of Charles Stross' Halting State after reading this review. Haven't started it yet, but others on this forum might find the concept entertaining.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:33 PM

My issue is not theoretically how to organize my books, it is how to physically sort 30 boxes of books.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #975 on: November 04, 2007, 08:53:21 PM

Drive down to Home Depot and pick up some immigrant labor in exchange for the chance to practice their reading?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: November 05, 2007, 06:03:16 AM

Heard of Libraries?

Yes, I have.  That's not the issue.  I tend to keep my books, which is probably why I have probably close to 800 paperbacks on my shelves.  I keep them and reread when I don't have anything new around.  Sometimes it's really nice to go back and reread a book you haven't seen in a few years (although I don't think I've ever been able to reread stuff like the Dragonlance books).  Every once in a while, when I'm seriously out of room, I go through what I have an donate anything that I didn't care for that much or that I'm pretty sure I'll have no desire to ever read again.  It works for me.

Still, went to the bookstore Saturday night with the husband because he was looking for a new Jimmy Buffett DVD and came away with Twilight Watch, the third book in the series with Night Watch and Day Watch.  Still haven't see those movies in the theatres, but I really like the books as well.  So I guess I came out ahead.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: November 05, 2007, 07:46:20 AM

Just ordered Day Watch (the movie) from Amazon, the Night Watch movie was pretty good. But, of course, the books are better. :)

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: November 05, 2007, 09:50:11 AM

Just ordered Day Watch (the movie) from Amazon

Oo!  I see a holiday gift suggestion for me now!  I thought Night Watch was a really good movie (except for the retarded ass hearing impaired subtitling.  WTF was up with that?!), but then I read the book and could see how they changed a few things around.  Not that the changes were bad at all, but you're right, the book is much better. 

Still, none of this helps me with my dilemma of what to do with about 15 years worth of Analog and Asimov's periodicals.  cry

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: November 05, 2007, 10:25:04 PM

The only fantasy I've ever read are the first four or five Sword of Truth books. I'm sick of reading them though. Can someone recommend a one-shot fantasy novel to me? Everything in this thread so far seems to be part of a series and I'm not looking for a commitment. I just need blood, guts, and a solid story.

'Legend' by David Gemmel.  Its got blood, guts, magic, and a fucking big siege/battle, and finishes within 300-odd pages.  Great read.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: