Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1298180 times)
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3885 on: June 16, 2011, 10:24:55 AM

Last night's chuckle came from: "Never did any woman better deserve her name, which was Charity—Aunt Charity, as everybody called her.  And like a sister of charity did this charitable Aunt Charity bustle about hither and thither..."

Ok, the humor IS on purpose.  Oh Melville, you goof!

The big piss-and-moan fest in my high school was from the Grapes of Wrath, but I liked that book too.  Maybe I should give Great Expectations another try.  ACK!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3886 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:20 AM

Maybe I should give Great Expectations another try.  ACK!

It's a trap.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3887 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:39 PM

Wuthering Heights was the one that I hated the most in school.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3888 on: June 16, 2011, 12:22:41 PM

Scarlet Letter for me. What a shit novel.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3889 on: June 16, 2011, 12:25:36 PM

Scarlet Letter for me. What a shit novel.

That doesn't count. Nobody has read that novel and ever thought it was good. It's a scam.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3890 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:29 PM

Maybe I should give Great Expectations another try.  ACK!

It's a trap.

Eh, I actually got through it unscathed my Freshman year of HS.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3891 on: June 16, 2011, 04:47:21 PM

Loved Wuthering Heights. Its the perfect exemplification of Nietzschean philosophy. If you don't understand that you're not one of the ubermen.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3892 on: June 16, 2011, 05:27:27 PM

Imma take this opportunity to link one of my favorite essays evar: Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses
There have been daring people in the world who claimed that Cooper could write English, but they are all dead now...

if at last you do succeed, never try again
WayAbvPar

Reply #3893 on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:24 PM

My hated high school assigned reading was  The Stranger. Just fucking depressing. High school kids really don't need any assistance learning to be depressed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3894 on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:05 PM

My hated high school assigned reading was  The Stranger. Just fucking depressing. High school kids really don't need any assistance learning to be depressed.

Ha, we read The Plague instead, which wasn't really an improvement cheer-wise.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3895 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:27 PM

Loved Wuthering Heights. Its the perfect exemplification of Nietzschean philosophy. If you don't understand that you're not one of the ubermen.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3896 on: June 16, 2011, 07:37:24 PM

The Stranger may not be a bucket of rollicking fun but there's some pretty awesome writing going on there.

Scarlet Letter is a better plot outline than it is a reading experience. It's definitely one of those books where you're better off just knowing the basic tropes of the story and never actually reading it.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3897 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:47 AM

Imma take this opportunity to link one of my favorite essays evar: Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses
There have been daring people in the world who claimed that Cooper could write English, but they are all dead now...

One of my favorite things about that was Twain pointing out guy-stepping-on-stick-alerts-hero and I always chuckle when it happens in any medium.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3898 on: June 17, 2011, 08:00:46 AM

Great Expectations. In the same year we were to read that, A Tale of Two Cities AND David Copperfield. I couldn't make it through Great Expectations and skipped the rest. The teacher (who I dubbed Ms. Havisham, to her towering ire), did make some amends later that year by introducing Rime of the Ancient Mariner, which is still one of my favorites. That was also the year I dropped most of my scholarship classes (except sciences), so I hang blame on her for fucking up my entire academic life. Her, and Charles Dickens. My fiancee (an English major) doesn't mention Dickens around me...anymore.

edit to add: "They require that the personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:04:12 AM by Sky »
WayAbvPar

Reply #3899 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:34 AM

The Stranger may not be a bucket of rollicking fun but there's some pretty awesome writing going on there.

I can't disagree, but it was largely wasted on me (and the rest of my advanced Lit class) at 16. I would probably get a lot more out of it reading it now.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3900 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:06 AM

Don't be dissing Camus. Them's fighting words.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

But yeah, really any Camus is not high school reading - there's almost no way to appreciate something like that so early in life, especially not if it's forced on you.

Also, I have always had an abiding hatred for Charles Dickens.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3901 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30:59 AM

Yes, high school aged reading of Albert Camus is like teaching calculus to chimpanzees…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3902 on: June 17, 2011, 12:03:54 PM

Dickens sucks in print. The movie adaptations remove most of the tedium.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3903 on: June 17, 2011, 03:31:55 PM

... Rime of the Ancient Mariner, which is still one of my favorites.

Did you figure out that it rolls almost perfectly with the tune to the theme from Gilligan's Island ?

Also, seconding the awesomeness that is the ancient mariner. I ended up reading the whole thing out loud to our English class in a gravelly seadog style.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3904 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:55 PM

Up to chapter 43 or so of or, the whale.   Best line from last night was the Spanish sailor talking to the African harpooner: "Aye, harpooneer, thy race is the undeniable dark side of mankind -- devilish dark at that. No offence."    Snerk.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3905 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:22 PM

Thanks to this thread I too have downloaded a free ebook of Moby Dick (having just finished Huck Finn for the umpteenth time).

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3906 on: June 17, 2011, 05:33:08 PM

That's a life lesson, right there!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3907 on: June 17, 2011, 07:03:58 PM

Did you figure out that it rolls almost perfectly with the tune to the theme from Gilligan's Island ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

And Ms Havisham really redeemed herself with that one. We read it the year Powerslave came out and she let me bring the album in. She had been wondering how I knew the main quotes from the Rime  DRILLING AND MANLINESS The whole (scholarship level) class had to sit through a long Maiden tune.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3908 on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

And Ms Havisham really redeemed herself with that one. We read it the year Powerslave came out and she let me bring the album in. She had been wondering how I knew the main quotes from the Rime  DRILLING AND MANLINESS The whole (scholarship level) class had to sit through a long Maiden tune.

Hahahahahaha!  I thought I was the only one who'd done that!  Although, my teacher didn't seem too impressed, but I figure it was because she was an uptight bitch of a nun and I went to a Catholic HS.  I simply could not get her to understand why I thought it was so freaking cool that the poem effected Harris enough to write a goddamn song about it. 

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3909 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:23 PM

My hatred in high school is reserved for that fucker Faulkner and As I lay Dying. It's made me hate "The Great American Novel" in all it's various forms, especially "stream of consciousness" writing, also known as caustic butt splatter on a page. Written in 6 weeks with absolutely no edits? You don't say.

Everyone else can lap up his shit all they like; I don't care about some crazy fucking family from the south and their complete bitch of a grandmother. I'd have dumped that hag into the nearest river on day two of the journey; fuck her and her dying wish too. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

I really wish I had been introduced to great stories in high school; I ended up loving reading in spite of what the school system did. Nothing but Shakespeare, Dickens, and Faulkner.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:38:15 PM by bhodi »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3910 on: June 18, 2011, 12:35:24 PM

Beloved was the book I felt most bothered by in HS. Wuthering Heights was ok and I loved Camus even though I'm sure I wasn't fully understanding it.

Fear and Loathing was my favorite assigned HS read.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3911 on: June 18, 2011, 02:19:23 PM

They let you read Fear and Loathing in HIGH SCHOOL?

I had to discover that one in college. Most of the English teachers I had in high school except one would have had a heart attack to read that book.

Finished up Lathe of Heaven - liked it, but not as much as The Left Hand of Darkness. It definitely felt very 70's - not a knock, btw. Haven't really thought about the book too much but there's a lot to digest in there. May be one to reread in a year or two with some perspective.

Started on and am close to finishing J.G. Ballard's The Crystal World. Very confusing but I do love his writing style.

I went out and bought Game of Thrones in paperback. Figured I'd rather have the physical copy at hand to flip around in while reading it.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3912 on: June 18, 2011, 05:10:46 PM

The thing that I hated the most about reading books in high school English classes was being forced to read at the pace of a chapter or two a week, which just struck me as insanely slowly.  But if you read ahead, you risk forgetting about some trivial detail that would be used in the weekly quiz to determine that you're following along or the instructor getting pissed at you because for being ahead, etc.  That's no way to read a book.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3913 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:01 PM

It was a Catholic school no less.  Heart San Francisco.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3914 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:15 AM

The thing that I hated the most about reading books in high school English classes was being forced to read at the pace of a chapter or two a week, which just struck me as insanely slowly.  But if you read ahead, you risk forgetting about some trivial detail that would be used in the weekly quiz to determine that you're following along or the instructor getting pissed at you because for being ahead, etc.  That's no way to read a book.
We always used to have to read aloud in class. I honestly never saw the point in doing it, or what it's supposed to accomplish. We're in english class, not drama class. And there were always awful orators (including myself) that everyone would have to cringe through. A pretty miserable experience, all in all. Like everyone else, I read much faster than I can speak, so it was really an exercise in frustration. I'd get bored and either read ahead or start another story. Then, inevitably, I'd get called on, have no idea where we were, and get in trouble.

Bah.

So, current outpile:

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space
Patrick Rothfuss - Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear
China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

I very much enjoyed Rothfuss's stuff, but I wish I had known it was a trilogy that wasn't complete before I started. I'd have waited. Also, not sure how he's going to finish up the story in only one more book. Things move slow.

John Scalzi said on his blog that Perdido Street Station was the best science fiction book of the decade. I'm afraid I can't agree. It's got great visuals, and an interesting world (kind of) but the story itself just sort of... ended. And it ended on a fairly strong down note. I don't read books to be depressed, dammit.

I didn't care for revelation space that much either; it's sci-fi but without a good world foundation that I enjoy. The Sci-fi elements seem to appear haphazardly on an as-need basis, more as plot devices than bricks of a functioning universe.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:24:35 AM by bhodi »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3915 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:45 AM

It was a Catholic school no less.  Heart San Francisco.

Fucking hippies.  why so serious?

Finished Crystal World. Very confused. The author didn't seem to know what he wanted to say and neither did I.

I'm into Game of Thrones. 9 pages and I love it already. I may spend the next year just catching up on this series.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3916 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:19 AM

If you read all of the Revelation Space books it builds a pretty interesting universe. I like Reynolds' stuff quite a bit though so take my opinion with a grain of whatever.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3917 on: June 19, 2011, 10:33:23 AM

If one wanted to start on the Culture stuff from Iain Banks...what would be the choice books to start with? I'm a bit hesitant to simply buy the 9 books outright.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3918 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:19 PM

But if you read ahead, you risk forgetting about some trivial detail that would be used in the weekly quiz to determine that you're following along or the instructor getting pissed at you because for being ahead, etc.  That's no way to read a book.

My last English teacher in HS was, I think, genuinely surprised that a class full of students on the track to attend university couldn't fucking finish The Old Man and the Sea in three days.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3919 on: June 20, 2011, 01:59:53 AM

If one wanted to start on the Culture stuff from Iain Banks...what would be the choice books to start with?

While Consider Phlebas is 'first', it's also a bit incongruous with the rest of the books so I sometimes recommend starting with The Player of Games. I found it a bit more accessible. I'd read Phlebas before going too much further with the series though, if you like Player.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: