Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Aggressive Music Festival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aggressive Music Festival  (Read 5391 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: June 28, 2004, 04:35:39 PM

I just found out about a great little show happening here in upstate NY for any folks who dig metal, it's called the aggressive music festival, oddly enough. Here's the lineup for your perusal:
  One Civic Center Plaza 8 * Glens Falls, NY 12801 * 518-798-0366

TICKETS: $35 ADV/$38 DOOR * 2 DAY TICKET $60

MOLSON PRESENTS EDGEFEST    
   1st Annual “ AGGRESSIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL “

SPONSERED BY PETA    * RELAPSE RECORDS & THE SYNDICATE

WWW.AGGRESSIVEMUSICFESTIVAL.COM

SET TIMES FOR FEST    1ST DAY * JULY 17
   HERITAGE HALL STILLBORN RECORDS SHOWCASE STAGE
   (AFTER SOUND CHECK) 2PM DOORS – 1ST 500 IN DOOR

THE RISK TAKEN 3-3:20    
   THE AUTUMN OFFERING 3:30-3:50
   TO THE GRAVE 4-4:20
   A THOUSAND FALLING SKIES 4:30-5
   FULL BLOWN CHAOS 5:15-5:45

ARENA STAGE
   DOORS 5pm
   GOD FORBID 6:30
   HATEBREED 7:30
   SLAYER 8:30-9:30
   SLIPKNOT 10-11

SET TIMES FOR FEST    2ND DAY * JULY 18 * ARENA STAGE
   DOORS 11AM
   LOVE IS RED 12-12:20
   WITH HONOR – 12:30-12:50
   HIMSA 1-1:20
   TERROR 1:30-1:50
   AS I LAY DYING 2:-2:30
   SKINLESS 2:40-3:10
   CONVERGE 3:20-3:55
   SUFFOCATION 4:10-4:40
   AGNOSTIC FRONT 4:55-5:30
   SICK OF IT ALL 5:45 –6:20
   DEICIDE 6:35-7:20
   SHADOWS FALL 7:35-8:20
   KILLSWITCH ENGAGE 8:35-9:20
   SOULFY 9:45-11
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:36:12 AM

Holy fuck that's a great lineup.

Slayer
Deicide
Hatebreed
Skinless
etc etc

Wow

Damn New York too far away :(

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
Grelf

Email
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 06:45:46 AM

Sponsered by PETA.

That's an ominous sign.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 07:56:33 AM

My friend works the merchandise shop for Sick of It All.

That is all, carry on.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:30:08 AM

This thread needs a dancing fat kid.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:19:14 PM

No horns, no evil goatee. Lame.

;)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 02:16:43 PM

PETA is kinda an odd sponser.

The rank and file metalheads I know aren't exactly what I would call activists or vegetarians.

That aside that is a tremendous 2 days of music for only $60... Have a good time.

- my name

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:15:05 PM

It is an especially odd sponsor seeing as to how Militant PETA members in Sweden tried to assasinate Glen Benton in Sweden a few years back.

Glen Benton is the lead singer of Deicide btw.

~Pig Destroyer

Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 07:52:33 PM

$20 says that some metalhead picks up some roadkill on the way to the show and delivers it to the PETA booth at the show just to be witty.

I feel very secure in making that bet, because I know a guy who is going, and he will probably be the guy to do it.

Nice lineup tho, for that genre....but with those bands in NYC, expect a hefty skinhead presence in the pit.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 06:33:33 AM

Heh, I was forged in skinhead mosh pits as a metalhead, I'm used to it :) Back in the early 80s, kids, there was a rift between the two mighty factions of punk skins and hairbag metalheads, though the music was often similar. The crossover reference I made above was the beginning of the end of that rift, though violence can certainly still flare easily, it's nothing like it was back then.

I was accepted in the skin's circle only reluctantly, because my girl was hardcore punk, I could sit in with them and jam on guitar, and I could drink as much as the biggest guy. And I loved loony tunes, the skins I lived with in Syracuse used to trip and watch WB toons all day.

(this post is not to be patronizing to the old farts, but to illuminate the youngins :)
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 05:51:58 PM

Yeah, the lines have certainly blurred.  I remember many many fights between the Skinheads and the Long Hairs.

Now, it's just a bunch of complete idiots doing the whole ninja kick cartwheel bullshit.

That is a surefire way to REALLY piss me off, I've been involved in many a scuffle over the last couple years because of that shit.  

I almost wish it would go back to Skinheads vs Long hairs instead of every kid on the planet trying to be the next Kung Fu master while in the mosh pit.

~Pig Destroyer

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 06:36:24 PM

Wow.  I didn't know you guys were so hard.  I'll have to shave the pubic hair sprouting from my monitor now.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 08:42:54 PM

Quote from: Signe
Wow.  I didn't know you guys were so hard.  I'll have to shave the pubic hair sprouting from my monitor now.

You shouldn't rub up against it so hard...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 11:02:36 AM

Quote from: Pig Destroyer

Now, it's just a bunch of complete idiots doing the whole ninja kick cartwheel bullshit.

What the hell is that stuff from anyways?  I don't get out to see shows nearly as much as I once did, and when I do they tend to be more metal than hardcore.  I saw As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and In Flames recently and holy fuck it was like Richard Simmons meets Bruce Lee on the floor.  At one point the singer from In Flames looked out to the crowd and said "whatever it is you are doing... It really fucking looks silly"

-my name

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Moshing died as an enjoyable activity once it showed up on MTV. Then it went from some crazy skins and a few hairbags to every fucking dipshit fratboy on the planet.

Don't even get me started on crowd surfing.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 11:48:39 AM

Most of the concerts I go to now, I stay towards the back anymore so the cartwheeling kiddies don't bother me.  I used to go up by the stage to see the bands, but almost every place but one have barriers up now and getting pressed into them isn't my idea of fun.  The one exception to the barrier rule so far seems to be for the replacement of the infamous Birch Hill and I was able to lean against the stage for Helloween last year.  Next show on my list for the place is Sebastian Bach....I am hoping he doesn't feel the urge to throw bottles into the crowd again.  =P

I remember going to some roller rink turned club in the middle of the woods here in NJ sometime in '98/'99 and being able to sit on the stage chatting with the guys from Moonspell and Jasper of In Flames while he tuned his guitar, back when I actually enjoyed their work and they weren't wearing dickies.   The Chance in Poughkeepsie was the same way, but the stage was like 50 ft high and I always got a pain in my neck when standing too close there.  =P
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 11:56:18 AM

Can anyone explain better what the hell this cartwheel thing is? Most concerts I go to don't have mosh pits, just happy drunken singing. I'm trying to imagine what that cartwheel thing is but I keep getting an image of Mary Lou Retton in a leather leotard doing a floor routine.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 12:15:00 PM

Quote from: ClydeJr
Can anyone explain better what the hell this cartwheel thing is? Most concerts I go to don't have mosh pits, just happy drunken singing. I'm trying to imagine what that cartwheel thing is but I keep getting an image of Mary Lou Retton in a leather leotard doing a floor routine.

Best description would be white kids with dreds and backpacks flailing their arms and legs around in some epileptic seizure/windmill impersonation.  Think of Taz w/ dreds and you will be close to an accurate visual image.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 02:45:03 PM

You really wouldn't believe it until you saw it.  

On one hand you think: "wow, that actually looks pretty difficult, that is pretty athletic and takes a fair amount of coordination to do that"

On the other hand you think:  "call me old fashioned and narrow minded, but that is the most ridiculous stuff I have ever seen"

Think: Breakdancing on speed, only much more violent.

hmm gonna go see if I can find some clickies to link to

-nat

*edit* link to some descriptions-

http://p083.ezboard.com/fmodernrockfrm17.showMessage?topicID=170.topic

[/quote]

Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 08:02:06 PM

Quote from: Fraeg
Quote from: Pig Destroyer

What the hell is that stuff from anyways?  I don't get out to see shows nearly as much as I once did, and when I do they tend to be more metal than hardcore.  I saw As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, and In Flames recently and holy fuck it was like Richard Simmons meets Bruce Lee on the floor.  At one point the singer from In Flames looked out to the crowd and said "whatever it is you are doing... It really fucking looks silly"

-my name

That sounds like a great show.  The new Killswitch Engage album is fucking awesome.  It's a shame the new In Flames is such a piece of shit.  Never heard As I Lay Dying before.

I really like all the new bands who have kind of taken the Shadows Fall/Vision of Disorder sound and expanded on it.  IF you like Killswitch Engage I highly recommend Unearth.

As far as the cartwheeling retards, just wait until they are turned the other way and kick them in the head.  Always good for a laugh.

~Pig Destroyer

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 07, 2004, 06:54:09 AM

I'll admit I break my code of honor and sometime punch crowd surfers in the nuts. But only if they kick me or someone around me in the head first. Man I hate those jackoffs. Pancake MTV for ruining metal shows.

I remember seeing Deftones at a club years ago and Chino was laughing at the crowd "What the fuck....that's the first time I've ever seen anyone mosh to a drum check...what's wrong with you people??"
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #21 on: July 08, 2004, 03:10:37 PM

Danzig getting his ass handed to him in a well deserved manner.  Very entertaining video, the conversation leading up to Danzig getting "knocked out" is worth paying attention to.

I have never heard of NSK, and I enjoy Danzig's music... but he totally deserved what he gets here.

http://www.azpunk.com/

-my name

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #22 on: July 08, 2004, 04:23:06 PM

Here in Chicago, the pit has been the realm of the lame for quite some time.  Granted, my experience is entirely from punk shows, but I recall the days of the circle pit...where it wasn't necessarily about trying to kill everyone else.  Now it's much more fun to stand on the edge and just shove the spastic retards back to the middle.  

Granted, now that I'm the "old guy at the show," I tend to stand in the back and get drunk and sneer a lot.  It's my role as an aging punk guy.

Funniest thing I ever saw at a show was Ian MacKaye threatening to stop the show if the pit didn't stop.  Whiny little fake-ass straight-edge lamer.  Damn talented though.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2004, 07:29:16 AM

Heh, that's my problem, I need to learn my role as old scowling guy! :)

I first learned to mosh at the seminal upstate ny hardcore club, The Lost Horizon. I've seen just about every great band there at one time or another, it's a tiny bar venue with a true sunken concrete "pit" in front of the stage, bordered by 4' high concrete walls with iron railings. People would watch from the main floor, against the railings, but when you went in the pit, you were literally in the pit. Brutal but fun place.

I was "taught" moshing kinda late, in 1985 when I saw Possessed with Dark Angel opening, during a blizzard. Few people showed, so the guys in Possessed all came out to watch the opener, and were laughing that we were all headbanging. So they showed us some good moshing fun, and a new era was born. Larry LaLonde, the guitarist of Possessed, went on to play in Primus as Ler. He was only a couple years older than me at the time, we were both in our teens (but getting served at the bar!)

Good times.
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 05:36:30 AM

On the same note as the Aggressive Music Festival (Which I'm heading to go buy tickets for day 2 in about 2 hours here), I went to Ozzfest saturday in Hartford, and seriously, if it's coming anywhere remotely close to you this year, anyone who is mildly interested in the genre of music needs to make every effort to get there.

I won't post an entire review of every band, but the highlights for me included Unearth, Lamb of God and Atreyu, not so much Hatebreed because I've seen them a million times since they're from CT anyways.  I really don't like Slipknot, and Lacuna Coil and Every Time I Die were huge disappointments, not sure whether it was the sound setup or what, but both were really bad.

On the main stage, Dimmu Borgir made a huge impression on me, they were unbelievably good, albeit my first time ever hearing their stuff, but nonetheless, they're fantastic musicians, they didn't get much as far as a crowd response though.  Superjoint Ritual was really bad, we were on the lawn, but supposedly Anselmo puked sometime during the set, and spent half the time they were slotted talking instead of playing.  Slayer was having some sort of sound problems, and didn't play some of their staple songs, Angel of Death being one they didn't get to.  Obviously Judas Priest with Halford is great, and definitely stole the show, playing mostly a greatest hits set, with Halford being a little timid for the first few songs, but by the third or fourth he was really letting it rip.  Ozzy sounded perfect during the Sabbath set, assuming because it was the first show on the tour and he was well rested, not sure how well he'll be able to give it 110% like he did.

I honestly think this is the best lineup they've ever had, so if you get a chance, it's definitely the best tour of the summer this year.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: July 12, 2004, 07:34:36 AM

Quote from: Fraeg
Danzig getting his ass handed to him in a well deserved manner.  Very entertaining video, the conversation leading up to Danzig getting "knocked out" is worth paying attention to.

I have never heard of NSK, and I enjoy Danzig's music... but he totally deserved what he gets here.

http://www.azpunk.com/

-my name

Damn. Too bad really, because I'm a huge fan of Glenn's. Even if he is a self-centered rockstar prick. He probably thought he could "scare" him with a push and didn't see it comin'...Because he's..Ya know, "Danzig". Stupid. Besides, the guy's like pushing 55. No amount Jeet Kune Do is gonna help him against some big fat motherfucker twice his size and half his age.

Quote from: Sky
Heh, that's my problem, I need to learn my role as old scowling guy! :)

Shit, I already took on that the role by the time I was 17. Moshing REALLY fucking wears me out and just ends up pissing me off. Not fun. The only way I'd step in now is if I was actually looking for trouble.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Aggressive Music Festival  
Jump to: