Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: In Lieu of News.... A Youtube Video! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Lieu of News.... A Youtube Video!  (Read 37141 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: June 28, 2006, 01:02:54 PM

In Lieu of News.... A Youtube Video!

There isn't much news out there today, so you get a Game Genie commercial to fill up all that free time you have.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 01:05:45 PM

Who has NOT had a Game Genie or similar device at one time or another?

I had one for NES, but I quickly got bored with it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 01:12:31 PM

Me?  I also use fairly common cheat codes in games like GTA, or the slow down code in Tony Hawk games - not on some retarded moral high ground, but I just don't get anything out of the experience if I don't do it myself.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 01:12:49 PM

Never had one either.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:25:38 PM

I should try to get one. I'm pretty sure the commercial said it helps you stay bigger.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Apone
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:02:19 PM

I had a gameshark for my Playstation.

Good Timez.

I found this 'technical desciption' amusing:

If you're familiar with the Game Genie or Action Replay cartridges used in the 8-bit or 16-bit video game systems, then you already understand the concept of the Game Shark and Pro Action Replay. As a game runs on a video game system, specific locations in the consoles RAM memory are used to hold important information, such as the number of lives remaining, shields, ammunition, current game level, etc. The Game Shark and Pro Action Replay device is able to override the values in those memory locations, allowing the game to be played with unlimited lives, always full shields, unlimited ammunition, etc.

This capability is a distinct advantage, especially in games that don't have built-in cheat codes. A large number of games can now be mastered by using internal codes from the cartridge, or by entering custom codes found in magazines, 1-900 tip lines, or web sites such as this.

Stay frosty, people.
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 03:02:50 PM

It does indeed include claims of "staying bigger".
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 03:15:53 PM

Right here.  Not that I'm TEH HARDKORE, it just came down to either buying another game, or buying something to let me cheat in games.  As a kid with limited funds the choice was easy to make.  Plus, I tended to save every penny I had for C64 stuff.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:12:34 PM

Closest thing I have is a bootdisc for region changing on the gamecube (Animal Crossing took a looong time to get to Europe) that was made by the company that does Action Replay ( I think ).

Wiiiiii!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 06:22:42 AM

Never had one, either. I like playing games as intended.

Occasionally I'll use some cheats if I've given up on a game for some reason. Recently I returned to Far Cry - I hated those jumpy mutants. I used their godmode and it was actually the best I've seen. You take damage as normal, but when you die you rack up one death count (it keeps track onscreen) and get another "life". So I could still play normally, getting health packs and stuff. Just wouldn't have to keep replaying tougher sections.

I've cheated in maybe six games, ever (all single player, multiplayer cheating is teh lame).

Oh wait, Gulp mentioning the C64 reminds me I had a FastLoad cart which allowed one to hex edit. I ran a spoiler BBS for Ultima 4 back in the 80s. ^^
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 09:47:06 AM

I got un-bored with it about the time when it was the only way half my games would load.

--GF
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 09:49:11 AM

I still have one.

I maintain that the game Crystalis is impossible to beat without using the infinite MP code.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 11:32:05 AM

I still have one.

I maintain that the game Crystalis is impossible to beat without using the infinite MP code.
Naw, I beat crystalis w/o it. From what I remember as a kid, the secret was leveling up for 10 hours straight on mobs. Grinding, you might call it.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 01:42:19 PM

I still have one.

Naw, I beat crystalis w/o it. From what I remember as a kid, the secret was leveling up for 10 hours straight on mobs. Grinding, you might call it.
Also the warp trick. (A + B on second controller.)

Also also, there was a ring you could get in... Geo? The Warrior Ring. Talk to some guy when you're Changed into I think the trickster, and he'll give you the ring. It'd let you spam the level 1 attack over and over again.

Man, I would not have beaten the floating tower without that. LIGHTNING JOLT!

The last boss was so cake it wasn't even funny, though.

--GF
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 09:11:16 AM

"New from Galoob!"

sooo 80's
slickbrick

Email
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 01:33:52 AM

I GO AROUND SPAMMING A LINK TO A SHITTY CHEAT SITE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME. IT'S AS IF SOMEONE TOOK OVER MY ACCOUNT TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A TOOL.

OH I AM A TOOL.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:36:44 AM by schild »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 02:39:38 AM

Mark another one down in the no column.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:17:25 AM

Ditto
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:13:09 AM

I had one for my Jap saturn. Got it because it allowed me to play games from the different regions, and may have also had RAM built into it. Never bothered to use it for the whole action-replay thing, though.
I remember it had pins/a plug for some kind of PC cable on top...
Not sure if it was from Datel, Galoob or some dodgy Chinese mob....

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:28 AM

Game Genie was just about the best thing ever.  Especially after they did the Bill & Ted thing in the ad!
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 03:51:07 AM

Sometimes I used the game genie to enhance a game experience. I played mario 3 a lot but rarely ever got to use that cool raccoon thing suit that could turn you into an immune statue. With a game genie I could make that what I turned into with a leaf, or something. Underutilized parts of games become new fun.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:59 AM

Tanooki Suit
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 06:08:46 AM

Nostalgic necro.  Beat Crystalis w/o cheats, never had a Game Genie, but did have the NES Advantage which I used to beat 1942. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:49 AM

I've never used one.  My son recently bought one of those gizmos for his DS games for making youtube videos. 

Then he got one for his PS2 after accidently deleting his game file (and no backup) for Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, where he had spent the better part of his free time over the last two weeks trying to buy some elite weapon. 

Game designers please take note:  Make your game default to LOAD not NEW when it first boots up, in order to prevent player tears. 

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 06:22:22 AM

Am I the only one who not only had a Game Genie, but mucked around modifying the codes?  Thinking back, the printed codes seem to have been deliberately nerfed so as to reward experimentation.  Like a game would have codes listed for 8, 12, and 16 lives.  But if you compared the differences between them and applied a little logic, even as a kid you could easily change them to give 128 lives, or whatever.  But they didn't print the code for 128 lives, just the three lesser codes you could compare.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 06:48:21 AM

Am I the only one who not only had a Game Genie, but mucked around modifying the codes?  Thinking back, the printed codes seem to have been deliberately nerfed so as to reward experimentation.  Like a game would have codes listed for 8, 12, and 16 lives.  But if you compared the differences between them and applied a little logic, even as a kid you could easily change them to give 128 lives, or whatever.  But they didn't print the code for 128 lives, just the three lesser codes you could compare.

No, I did too, you little cheat monkey, you.  I love to cheat.  I can't finish most crpgs without cheating.  This is one reason I never had children.  You can't fiddle with their save game editor and only a geneticist can get to their console.  Oh well.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 07:34:11 AM

I feel like such a puritan.  I've never owned a game genie or used a cheat code.  Hell, I feel guilty going to spoiler sites.

Please mock me.  I deserve it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 07:54:39 AM

I feel like such a puritan.  I've never owned a game genie or used a cheat code.  Hell, I feel guilty going to spoiler sites.

Please mock me.  I deserve it. 

Have you played a single player game since you started playing MMOs? 

Heck, if a game has a lot of pixel hunts or wonky logic in quests, my laptop will be sitting next to me open to gamefaqs while I play. When I was younger, unemployed, and single I could waste 30 minutes to an hour trying to figure something out.  Now, that sort of tomfoolery can cost me large percentages of my gaming time. 

As for the game genie.. I think I rented one once.  I didn't care much for it.  My friends and I had kind of a running list of games we beat and the only ones allowed on there with any sorts of cheats were Konami code games.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 11:24:46 AM

You Game Genie retards were the bane of my existence once upon a time.

GGR: Why doesn't my NES work?

Me *10 minutes of troubleshooting*

Me: Do you use any other products other than the licensed game cartridges?

GGR: I have a Game Genie, and am 1337 beyond your ken.

Me: Ha. You're fucked. Feel free to set up an RMA. Thank you for calling!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:39 AM

I just thought I'd point out that there's a hilarious post signer in this thread. Can you spot it?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: In Lieu of News.... A Youtube Video!  
Jump to: