Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: NCSoft fires a bunch of people. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCSoft fires a bunch of people.  (Read 96380 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #140 on: June 27, 2006, 02:07:00 PM

Whatever.  Artifact Entertainment is going to rise from the ashes and dominate you all.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #141 on: June 27, 2006, 02:07:49 PM

I've already bought a pitchfork and my torch is made with citronella so it keeps the buggies away while we burn the witch.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #142 on: June 27, 2006, 02:14:06 PM

I hope SOE buys NC Soft.  Then I hope Blizzard buys SOE.  Then I hope Blizzard goes out of business.  Everyone would stand around looking confused and saying, "Wha' happened?"  That would make me fucking giggle.

It is a very real possibility.  Real Money Transfers could ruin multiple companies if it is not controlled IMMEDIATELY.

I understand why this is hated, but what if RMT games were free to everyone, funded by those who want to RMT? Yes, this would never fly in a PvP game, but for a PvE game with good non-item dependent gameplay it shouldn't matter.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #143 on: June 27, 2006, 02:16:11 PM

I hope SOE buys NC Soft.  Then I hope Blizzard buys SOE.  Then I hope Blizzard goes out of business.  Everyone would stand around looking confused and saying, "Wha' happened?"  That would make me fucking giggle.

It is a very real possibility.  Real Money Transfers could ruin multiple companies if it is not controlled IMMEDIATELY.

I understand why this is hated, but what if RMT games were free to everyone, funded by those who want to RMT? Yes, this would never fly in a PvP game, but for a PvE game with good non-item dependent gameplay it shouldn't matter.

If it was designed properly, perhaps. But nothing in the current landscape of games makes me terribly confident that such designers exist.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #144 on: June 27, 2006, 02:21:05 PM

shiznitz
Foozle

Con....grats?  undecided

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #145 on: June 27, 2006, 02:49:12 PM

If it was designed properly, perhaps. But nothing in the current landscape of games makes me terribly confident that such designers exist.

Disagree there are several non worldy persistent online games that do just that and it works very well.  Gunbound comes to mind and I know there are several others that intend to or are currently using a similar strategy.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #146 on: June 27, 2006, 03:28:34 PM

But I'd be confused. Where would I park?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #147 on: June 27, 2006, 03:36:31 PM

Your trailer.  Obviously you would be out of the job and flipping burgers!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 27, 2006, 03:38:21 PM

At home, I'd assume. You could probably run a lucrative RMT company out of your basement, for whatever games still exist in that brilliant vision of the future.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #149 on: June 27, 2006, 03:56:33 PM

Your trailer.  Obviously you would be out of the job and flipping burgers!

Don't the people who flip burgers usually have a job?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #150 on: June 27, 2006, 04:05:32 PM

Yikes!  I'm so sorry.  I just made you redundant over and over with no place to go!  I feel awful.  If that scenario ever happened, I would go in the basement and eat worms!   embarassed

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 27, 2006, 04:35:00 PM

None of you people have what it takes to survive unemployment.

Sometimes you just need to strap on the g-string, bow tie, and rollerskates and head on down to the bus stop. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #152 on: June 27, 2006, 04:37:32 PM

I did that once. The children's parents were not amused.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #153 on: June 27, 2006, 05:59:58 PM

Gee, what happened to my edit where I got Lum a job working for Schild and renamed him "Lum the Mod?"  I think I've lost my mind!

ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 28, 2006, 12:07:52 AM

http://www.blizzard.com/press/051219.shtml

How could they be more clear?

World of Warcraft customers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or purchased a prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the installation box bundled with one free month access. Internet Game Room players that have accessed the game over the last seven days are also counted as customers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired pre-paid cards. Customers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rule.

about 1 million subscribers in europe(January 19, 2006   )  and usa (August 29, 2005) (about 2 millions subscribers total), and 2,5 millions users in asia.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #155 on: June 28, 2006, 12:13:55 AM

World of Warcraft customers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or purchased a prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the installation box bundled with one free month access. Internet Game Room players that have accessed the game over the last seven days are also counted as customers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired pre-paid cards. Customers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rule.

about 1 million subscribers in europe(January 19, 2006   )  and usa (August 29, 2005) (about 2 millions subscribers total), and 2,5 millions users in asia.
That one's old:

SPANISH VERSION OF WORLD OF WARCRAFT® IN DEVELOPMENT
World of Warcraft's European customer base is currently at more than 1 million players, with the worldwide total now at more than 6 million players.
That's where the 6 million comes from and that was back in February. I also have it on very good authority that Blizzard actually *under reports* their subscription numbers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #156 on: June 28, 2006, 12:18:25 AM

That's where the 6 million comes from and that was back in February. I also have it on very good authority that Blizzard actually *under reports* their subscription numbers.

That would be accurate. The last information I got said they were around 6.8-7.1M.
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 28, 2006, 03:59:23 AM

* I did not have a look at Blizz press release for a while,(bad bad)  I was wrong blizz now give actual figure(no longer estimates based on boxsale) >slap me
* I guessed a 1-1,5 millions subscribers for EU+US, I was wrong the number of subcriber for EU+US given by blizz indicate 2 millions +
* I think that stating/knowing that the is a distinction between subcriber and customer is needed, and that it is mistake to mix the 2

anyways ... :)

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #158 on: June 28, 2006, 04:40:57 AM

May 10th Blizzard Europe Press Release
Launched in November 2004, World of Warcraft has quickly become the world’s most popular MMORPG, with a worldwide customer base of more than 6.5 million players.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #159 on: June 28, 2006, 05:16:33 AM

* I think that stating/knowing that the is a distinction between subcriber and customer is needed, and that it is mistake to mix the 2

WTF, I honestly do not understand.  Please elaborate!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #160 on: June 28, 2006, 05:44:42 AM

I think he's trying to say, "Don't count Asia in the X-million number, because they don't pay a monthly fee."

However,  I'm sure Blizzard is much happier counting them as subscribers than the rest of the world when you start to look at the ROI of $15/ month for unlimited time vs X$/ Hour.  Particularly when you get to the hardcore time-investment players.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 28, 2006, 06:13:07 AM

Disagree there are several non worldy persistent online games that do just that and it works very well.  Gunbound comes to mind and I know there are several others that intend to or are currently using a similar strategy.
In Gunbound you can use money to buy items in-game that actually do make you more powerful - but players also have the (popular) option of playing on a server where items do not affect your gameplay other than making you look cool.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #162 on: June 28, 2006, 06:16:10 AM

I think he's trying to say, "Don't count Asia in the X-million number, because they don't pay a monthly fee."

However,  I'm sure Blizzard is much happier counting them as subscribers than the rest of the world when you start to look at the ROI of $15/ month for unlimited time vs X$/ Hour.  Particularly when you get to the hardcore time-investment players.
Koreans pay a subscription fee just like we do, though they can buy a 7 day subscription as well as a normal 30 day one, that's why there's a disclaimer about Game Room players and 30 days (they count the 7 days and 30 days together as long as the 7 days played within 30 days, if that makes sense). The Chinese speaking countries/territories just pay for the time in game but they are presumably counted in the same way as the 7 day Koreans -- i.e. any player who is playing on a paid game time card in the 30 days is counted as a "customer" or something along those lines.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #163 on: June 28, 2006, 07:08:49 AM

Yeah, I know that and I wasn't referring to the 7 and 30-day game cards.  (Nor do I advocate their exclusion as customers.)  The whole idea was a separate thought from the "interpreting ynot's engrish" segment of the post.

I was talking about the Chineese model where you pay for X number of hours. If Blizzard was going to exclude anyone as some kind of book-cooking lunacy, hiding the accounts of US players who pay $15 but play 5+ hours a week makes more sense than hiding Asians who "only pay 50 cents an hour" from a cost->profit standpoint.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ynot
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 28, 2006, 10:50:20 AM

(they count the 7 days and 30 days together as long as the 7 days played within 30 days, if that makes sense)
= if you use one 7 days gaming card you are accounted in the same way than a player paying a 30 days one?

If Blizzard was going to exclude anyone as some kind of book-cooking lunacy, hiding the accounts of US players who pay $15 but play 5+ hours a week makes more sense than hiding Asians who "only pay 50 cents an hour" from a cost->profit standpoint

I dont understand
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:23:39 AM by ynot »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #165 on: June 28, 2006, 10:55:02 AM

I'm just wondering how people in China can afford to play a MMO....by the hour...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 28, 2006, 11:05:02 AM

Actually I'd put forth the Doubloon oceans in Puzzle Pirates as a great model. Most items are luxury items (clothing, stores, housing, ships) and it allows you to buy the real money Doubloons with in-game Pieces of Eight, so if you play often enough, you can actually pay your own way.

The downside is that if it's free, it's overrun by 12 year olds.

COH would be a good game for an alternative payment system.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:06:35 AM by Numtini »

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #167 on: June 28, 2006, 11:19:03 AM

I really dont think any non-worldy MMO's are going to last as subscription based much longer.  I will pay $15/mo for a persistent world that needs to be maintained and gives players the freedom to interact with it.  But if the only thing you do is bash other players or bash npc's.  I'm not paying for it much longer*.

Of course in order for this to happen someone will have to design a virtual world style MMO that doesn't suck, so I guess things will remain the same for a long time.

*sigh*

*edited to reflect reality.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:43:34 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #168 on: June 28, 2006, 11:29:16 AM

Of course in order for this to happen someone will have to design a virtual world style MMO that doesn't suck, so I guess things will remain the same for a long time.

Man, between that, a hangover and people talking about Superman, I just had a wicked idea for game-designer-themed superheroes.

"It's the Raphsignal! Save us from the Dastardly Dr. Diku, Raphman!"

And so on.

Maybe I shouldn't post before I've had coffee...
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:27 AM

I'm just wondering how people in China can afford to play a MMO....by the hour...
More than 50 mln chinese earn more than your average US salary.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #170 on: June 28, 2006, 12:19:45 PM

All BS aside about RMT's, they are a waiting financial nightmare for some company.  With zero oversight, taxation, or GAAP conventions it's a money laundering dream.  Yeah, all that crap has been said before.  But the moment Homeland Security of some Senator starts up an audit and media interest about the "drug and terrorist money" going on in RMT's it will be painful for the companies getting away with it so far. 

I mean, there's a couple of people here on f13 who work in financial services and securities -- I am off base here?
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #171 on: June 28, 2006, 02:52:05 PM

Rubbish. It's well known that all Chinese people supplement the abject poverty gleaned from their day jobs of working in terraced padi fields by farming in Azshara in miserable sweat shops dominated by their cruel communist overlords.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #172 on: June 28, 2006, 02:52:37 PM

Not to mention Im sure there are quite a few of us old schoolers on here who remember playing MMO's offered by AOL and getting $800+ bills per month.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #173 on: June 28, 2006, 02:56:47 PM

Less than 5% of China workers makes more the average American? That doesn't sound implausable.

"Me am play gods"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #174 on: June 28, 2006, 03:00:15 PM

Not to mention Im sure there are quite a few of us old schoolers on here who remember playing MMO's offered by AOL and getting $800+ bills per month.

NWN for the lose :(  Man it was a happy day when the hourly fee went away!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: NCSoft fires a bunch of people.  
Jump to: