Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Dragon Raid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragon Raid  (Read 12697 times)
Savant
Terracotta Army

Savant Says

on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:28 AM

Our guild will be attempting its first Dragon raid this Saturday, and I'm pretty excited about it.  This is a pretty significant achievment for me personally, as it will be my first raid.  Sort of.

It's always been the case that I've lost interest in a game before I've reached raid content (DAoC, EQ, WoW, SB) or that I've been drawn to games that didn't exactly have end game raid content (GS3, AC) - so for that reason alone, this is a pretty monumental occasion for me. 

Tempest Spine in DDO is technically a raid, but considering it usually takes me about 20 minutes to put together a group for it and about 45 minutes to complete it (on Elite), it doesn't exactly feel like a raid.  So I consider this first Dragon run of ours to be my first real raid.

Through all its shortcomings, I consider this to be one of the strengths of DDO.  With my limited play time, I'm still able to feel like I've made significant progress in the game and feel ready for "end game" content.  I really wish more of you and the boys over at Corp had gotten more into DDO, as I thoroughly enjoyed what we did together in SB.

Anyway, if you've been on the fence about trying it, feel free to hop on Fernia - I'd be more than happy to introduce you to the guild and run you through some of the early content and get you on the way.

Savant

[Edited to add:  My two main characters are Phenom and Savvy, in case you do decide to hop in and send me a tell.  Or maybe set up a time on these forums and I'll let you know if I can be in the game.]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:57:25 AM by Savant »
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:42:40 PM

Through all its shortcomings, I consider this to be one of the strengths of DDO.  With my limited play time, I'm still able to feel like I've made significant progress in the game and feel ready for "end game" content. 

Luke Skywalker: "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too, and in time, you will learn to use it as I have. The Shill is strong in my family."
 wink
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:49:18 PM by Broughden »

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Savant
Terracotta Army

Savant Says

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:53:51 PM

Right.  Since I'm a mercenary for hire, I can't possibly enjoy playing a game during my personal time without being paid for it.

Then again...

Hey Turbine, I could use another money hat or I'm going back to WoW! 

In all seriousness, if you haven't noticed, I usually try not to get too involved in these discussions.  Think whatever you wish, because after all these years if I haven't built up the thick skin to handle your cynicism, I'm in the wrong line of work. ;)  I don't think it needs to be said, but in case it does, I'm in no way paid by, affiliated with, or an employee of Turbine.  It's just the game I'm currently into - and that'll probably change when something shinier comes along.

So as I said, if any of you wanna play and hear me use foul language and be politically incorrect (Right, Xilren? :P) feel free to set up a time here or send me a tell on Fernia.

Savant
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:58:21 PM

How long will the Dragon raid take?

Anyhow, thanks for the update. Maybe when I get back from my vacation I'll go ahead and activate that trial I never bothered to install.  Hopefully, you'll still be playing in a week and a half.

And don't pay attention to Broughden.  Really, just don't.

-Rasix
Savant
Terracotta Army

Savant Says

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 05:05:19 PM

Since this is my first one, I can only tell you from second-hand accounts and advice I've been given.   It apparently takes anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, as you have to do both Vault of Night 5 and 6 back-to-back.  It involves things like taking down pillars and a whole bunch of goodness I should be more familiar with once I actually do it.  There's also the chance of being blown off and landing dead in the Marketplace (and subsequently not having the chance at the two items of uber loot the dragon drops) that I've heard about.  I'm excited, hope I don't go splat in the Market.

Anyway, yeah I'll be playing for a little bit to come - nothing coming out terribly soon that has me interested, so I'll see you when you get back.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 09:57:19 AM

So as I said, if any of you wanna play and hear me use foul language and be politically incorrect (Right, Xilren? :P) feel free to set up a time here or send me a tell on Fernia.

Such the naughty boy is our Savant....

BTW Sav, shoot me a PM with the Vent server info if you dont mind.  Since my playtimes are somewhat odd i may have a hard time catching someone in game to give it to me.

As to the dragon raid, I'm interested to hear your feedback on it.  During beta i pretty much stopped playing anything beyond level 7 not to spoil it for myself, so I hadn't seen the high level stuff bute I've read up on the dragon raid some.  The process sounds very contrived to make it more difficult.  I.e. you must take down magic obelisk 1, 2, and 3 withing X seconds of each other before you can attack the dragon directly.  I'm not a big fan of overly complicated raid designs that just don't seem to flow well with a design theme that fits the world/story.  In other words, if those magic spires have an actual reason to be the way they are maybe I could swallow it, but if not it just a jarring "the dev's are trying to make this hard and screw the fun of it" imersion breaker.

Of course, this dislike of raid designs is by no means a DDO only issue.  That the #2 factor why Im not a raiding fan beyond the time commitment.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Savant
Terracotta Army

Savant Says

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:28 AM

You're right that it sounded hella complicated.  The same can be said when I first heard about the Lair of Fire and Ice inside the Tempest Spine raid where you have to kill an Ice Flenser and a Flesh Reaver located two hallways apart from one another within 30 seconds of each other - but that turned out to be fairly painless once you figure out the method to do it. 

There are a couple schools of thought when it comes to the pillars at the Dragon.  One is ranging them down to almost no health, then having a tank kite the mobs to the entrance while 3 other tanks destroy the remaining health of the pillars in one fell swoop. 

I don't like the idea of the bridges that the Dragon sets on fire and could break if too many people run on them at once - that's another way to go splat in the Market, lol. 

PM sent.

Savant
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 12:39:29 PM

DDO is for fags.

UO FOREVAR!!1!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Xilren's Twin

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:19:19 PM

UO FOREVAR!!1!

"The healing can only begin once you acknowledge you have a problem....."

Bonedood

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 10:13:36 PM

You're right that it sounded hella complicated.  The same can be said when I first heard about the Lair of Fire and Ice inside the Tempest Spine raid where you have to kill an Ice Flenser and a Flesh Reaver located two hallways apart from one another within 30 seconds of each other - but that turned out to be fairly painless once you figure out the method to do it. 

There are a couple schools of thought when it comes to the pillars at the Dragon.  One is ranging them down to almost no health, then having a tank kite the mobs to the entrance while 3 other tanks destroy the remaining health of the pillars in one fell swoop. 

I don't like the idea of the bridges that the Dragon sets on fire and could break if too many people run on them at once - that's another way to go splat in the Market, lol. 

PM sent.

Savant

If you want a working strat for the Dragon let me know. I was part of the first group to take him down on Fernia, before I quit playing. But I would think that by this late a date you could find the strat pretty easily, if you did a search on the web.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Dragon Raid  
Jump to: