Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Things I Would've Posted Saturday... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I Would've Posted Saturday...  (Read 5397 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: June 19, 2006, 05:06:59 AM

Things I Would've Posted Saturday...

... if people read f13 on weekends.

The voice cast for Yakuza (Rya Ga Gotoku) [PS2] has been announced: Mark Hamill, Rachel Leigh Cook, Eliza Dushku, Michael Madsen, and the most important one - Michael Rosenbaum. I already expected this game to kick ass and now I actually have a little faith in the English language track.

Tomb Raider is getting a 10th anniversary release. I don't know what company celebrates two decent games and 4 shitty ones (was it 4? 5? 3? whatever), but apparently Eidos felt the need to grace us with yet another Lara Croft title. It's coming out later this year. Meh.

Apparently Club.Nintendo (the Japanese trade-in points for objects thing) has some amazing shit up for "purchase." This includes, but is not limited to a Game & Watch collection (with some of the best cover art ever), Mario bookends (for DS games) and a DS case with a rainbow colored assortment of stylii for the DS. Consider America robbed.

Over at the only .biz people have ever bothered to read, they have a pretty neat post-mortem on the reviews Atlus read of their game Steambot Chronicles. [link] My opinion? Well, it seems that game reviews and magazines are getting worse and worse.  It's not because there's no fresh faces (and when there are, they usually suck) but rather some sort of legit mag epidemic that's sweeping through the industry. It's as if the magazines assign games that don't quite fit a genre to either whoever will take it or the token reviewer for that genre. There's really no win-win situation here. Having read a good ten or twenty reviews of Steambot, I can confidently say that the majority of people who were playing it had no goddamn clue what was going on. I can see how that would be a problem. The game treats you like an adult and expects you to make choices like an adult. Most gamers haven't hit that level of maturity. For the most part it felt looser than the other notable sandboxes (GTA, etc) but felt a little more streamlined. You always knew what you needed to do to advance, but the entire experience was pretty cathartic. It resulted in a sort of lethargic gameplay you don't see very often.

Maybe I should explain that since I never got around to reviewing Steambot Chronicles after I started my new job. Steambot Chronicles is a relaxing game (Atlus, forgive me for that). You have a very obvious set of goals which will advance the storyline and a very obvious set of main characters with whom you interact on a daily basis (as the game does have a sort of day/night system). But at no point does the game say, "OK - you've dicked around enough, it's time to play the damned game already!" It just lets you keep doing what you're doing (with a few necessary exceptions in the first half of the game while the world is still being set up for you).

While Atlus may have been OK with the press coverage received by the game, it obviously wasn't enough. No one really knows what's going on with it. Go ahead, scour the web. Short of the usual suspects, the vast majority of magazines and websites had a preview or two and maybe a video, but none really delved into what the game was about. I'd be more inclined after playing it to classify it with games like Harvest Moon, Lost in Blue, River King and such before I'd classify it with your traditional action RPG.

It's a masterful game, and people will look back on it fondly no matter how the reviewers treated it. But as I've already said: You Stay Classy, Games Journalism.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:10:17 AM by schild »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:41:28 AM

Things I Would've Posted Saturday...

... if people read f13 on weekends.
I read f13 on weekends.  At least ForumBot 0.8 was here to keep me company.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:51 AM

There was some movement on the best MMO evar thread and I think a few people caught up on the latest douchbaggery in politics.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:56:40 AM

I was here, too.  It looks like ForumBot 0.8 beta might have had a lucky threesome.  I wish I could remember....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 02:35:55 PM

Damn you ForumBot. Now I know why my ass hurts.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:30:15 PM

Damn you ForumBot. Now I know why my ass hurts.

Turns out pics were linked to the internet:

YOU SIR ARE A ROBOSEXUAL!

edit. I always imagined this is how Morphiend looked.  And sorry its such a big picture!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:48:37 PM

I was here, too.  It looks like ForumBot 0.8 beta might have had a lucky threesome.  I wish I could remember....
That gives a whole new meaning to the term "Lan party"... shocked

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:03:57 PM

Some day you all will respect ForumBot 0.8 for his great news posts not his shiney metal body..    huh

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Things I Would've Posted Saturday...  
Jump to: