Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: My First Night of Metro PVP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My First Night of Metro PVP  (Read 6639 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: June 15, 2006, 06:32:21 AM

Well I decided it was time to get my feet wet. Loaded up on some regs and pots, trapped some pouches (then added them to use once agent to avoid para ganks and it saved my ass repeatedly), and made my way to Bucs den. Lamp and myself were definetely out of practice (and not on voice which really hurt) and we died a time or 2 before he had to go. Basically, it seems there is usually 2-3 reds (not always friends) running the place. I was able to 1 on 1 and kill one of them (Will Ferrell) and escape some 2 on 1 ganks successfully. Ended up dying again to a 2 on 1 , but took out one of em (chloe I think) and Dr. ROFLSAURUS finished me. He is a blue that is not to be trusted, but an exceptional Dexer from what I could see and from my run ins with him during server wars.

Eventually, the odds began to make things rough so I KOPed out to Britian to check the graveyard. Ran into a couple noobs killings ghouls or some shit, and they informed me a red wasn't too far. I pursued to the North gate, and "In Por Ylem" came up from him as soon as I saw him. About 10 minutes of fighting left no victor even after his brother (another red) ran up and tried to dump on me. I all that out later from talking to the guy, and eventually he KOPed out (i suspect he was low on mana so I consider it a win) after saying "this sucks im bored". Reds usually don't care for even fights against (semi) skilled opponents.

Back to Bucs, 2 reds and a blue were there...This time the blue opened up on me, which his para ganking buddies trying to hold me down (thank you use Once agent) and I KOPed out and talked some shit to the Blue via [msg.

Finally, I was doing some IDOC hunting and came across a gate. I invised and waited, and bam a red rolls through. I open up on him, we duel for roughly a minute before his buttbuddy Franken-something shows up so I KOP out.

In all, broke some rust off tonight and scored some kills. Got a few compliments and questions about me, being a new face in the PVP scene. Guess I made a decent first impression.

Anyways, to the point. I like the fact that we can all play this game for different purposes with a common goal. We have guys that like crafting, PvM, and PvP. Just curious, what are you feelings towards PvP and if you are unexperienced would you like to learn? I think as a group if we picked a night we could easily take over Bucs. As long as we A. use Vent - B. Stick together

All that said, I wanna help folks get their resist up. Let me know, there are some spells I can make cast on you that wont kill you. Also, 1 on 1 sparring once our skills are macroed up to par is excellent training for the field.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:44:07 AM

I'd like to figure it out, especially since I imagine it involves me having some ridiculous hotkeys and macros set up.  (like the trapped pouch thing)

Slack is working quickly thru magery, should be working flamestrike by the end of the afternoon if I leave him macroing.  Nowhere near 7x GM on either him or my dexxer, but no big deal, IMO.  Also, I think Buc's is one of the few places I can train the first 30 of stealth.  :)

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:01:11 AM

I will need resist help eventually, but that's far off.  What I really need is someone to punch and stab for several hours.  Right now, all I can contribute is the leather I am gathering.  I will try to gather cloth for bandages too.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:05:56 AM

We need to get you to the tower.

Also, one of the first things I did was made a Dexer with 50 magery 49 healing. Then I found a remote spot and sparred my ass off. But hitting tab twice you can make the other guy stop fighting. Then you just need bandages...Any way I can contact ya outta game, i have some good pointers and I can log in and get ya guilded!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:13:06 AM

You know, I am so used to one-account restrictions that I didn't even think of making my own sparring partner.   

Auto-account creation and multiple clients for the win.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:14:59 AM

Was that the meaningful PvP I have heard so much about?

"Me am play gods"
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:00:25 AM

That's the stuff I want to get into mainly with crafting being the downtime/offtime activity.  Well actually the crafting would be to help support the PvP too.  Voice chat works extremely well for that stuff.  No comparison.  I used to love running the standard PvP spots like the Den with a small group stirring up the natives as we go.  You'd see the same people all the time and really get to know the reactions and fighting styles.  Rivalries would get started and get hotter every night.

I'm not surprised you got some reaction.  New comers that can stand toe to toe always adds more spice and typically welcome (at least to those that like the challenge, not the gank.)

It would have been nice to roll through that 2red/1blue team.  3 on one using a blue is just plain lame and needs to be crushed for their regs, heh.

I'm still in the thick of moving activity so I'll be awhile yet, but I'll be all in for PvP once I get a few chars up to speed.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:04:34 AM

Was that the meaningful PvP I have heard so much about?

I wouldn't call it "meaningful".  I call it enjoyable.

I would 110% love to get back into the PvP scene.  I am as rusty as they get.  Plus I am hardcore old skool.  We didn't use Pots and all that very often.  Trapped pouches were rare and my buddy and me were one of the first people to use them to break Para.  So I have got some serious learning to do.  We also didn't really do much with interrupts.  I used to do pretty unconventional stuff.  I didn't do the whole Explo/Ebolt thing.  I would do Explo/Flamestrike.

Hell... I was known to walk up and do Earthquake in the middle of a group and then follow that with Meteor or Chain Lightning.  I don't know if my character on Chesapeake was bugged, but even before meditate came out my mana regenerated FAST as hell.  Plus he RARELY fizzled.  So Earthquake spell and all that was easy to pull off.

I did always make sure to keep my character fed though.  That was the rumor that it made you fizzle less.  Dunno if true, but I did it anyways.

My main purpose for creating the ultimate crafting character (which took awhile) and my wife creating the other half of crafting was to self-support ourselves in PvP since we KNEW we were going to die until we learned the ropes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:11:02 AM by Chinchilla »

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:11:03 AM

Looking for a meaningful experience on the internet is like joining the Dungeons and Dragons club to meet hot chicks.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:28:26 AM

Looking for a meaningful experience on the internet is like joining the Dungeons and Dragons club to meet hot chicks.

School work on internet is meaning ful.  Work is meaningful.  When someone gets on the internet for enjoyment the purpose shouldn't be for something "meaningful" persay.  Even though meaningful is subjective to the individual. 

I have fun in UO.  I enjoy it and meet fun people.  Yes, you do find some jerk-offs, but look at this.  Look at how this worked out.

I met you guys.  Slayerik, Cheddar, Train, Andric, Silas, Zet, and that's just to name a few.  All of you guys are great.  Slayer and Chedd trusted me and I'm sure they were somewhat "testing me" when I ghost hunted that one IDOC they got when they had that PK guy Yokomaguchi (or something like that) practically next door.  I'm glad they did.

They also trusted me with that mining house IDOC where they got a pretty decent stash of ingots and other stuff out of it.

I also am on these forums now.  I think all these different things are VERY meaningful to me.  Met great people and made great pals.  Slayer and Chedd are awesome and I am learning and getting to know the others more and more.  How's that for meaningful?

Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 08:37:39 AM

It's in jest.  Laugh.

Didn't mean to piss in any Cheerios...
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 08:46:59 AM

It's in jest.  Laugh.

Didn't mean to piss in any Cheerios...

Sorry about that.  Didn't quite get the sarcasm in it.  I've just seen ppl picking on the UO ppl so I've gotten a little touchy.  I apologize if I jumped all over ya.

And one more note.  DON'T PISS IN MY CHEERIOS!  I knew that shit tasted funny.  Little salty.

The one time I eat Cheerios and someone pisses in it.  UGH!  cheesy I usually eat O's.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 09:08:07 AM

Tazelbain was referring to a long running complaint about PvP in MMOG's lacking purpose.  Many people, here included, suggest that PvP hasn't been meaningful since the UO days.  Meaningful has many different meanings, but I suggest they meant, "To the victor go the spoils!" 

Definition? You get to keep what the enemy drop when you plant their face in the dirt.  In WoW, for instance, you get nothing but numbers towards a huge goal of numbers so you can purchase nifty armor and weapons.  The enemy loses nothing.  For many that feels empty and meaningless.

To Tazelbain, I say the meaning is just as plain as grabbing the gold or reagents your enemy drops.  Hell, you can pick up their armor or weapon and use it if you've lost yours.  When you get really good, you start creating a hoard of items, supplies, gold taken from fallen foes.  To many, that is meaningful.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 10:02:52 AM

Ah, gotcha now.  That is the one problem I had with PvP in the other games I've done PvP in as well. 

EQ1 - Tallon Zek, Rallos Zek.  Sure you could loot 1 item, but EQ was such an item based game and they weren't THAT easy to come by (couldn't craft the good shit) that losing your precious sword of whatever meant hours of camping.

Tallon Zek you got their money on them.  Well I never carried any so they didn't get poop out of me.

EQ2 - Blah, can't loot anything and some point system and some such.  I kill you and I get nothing, but these points for some item or something.  Meh, no thanks.

DAoC - Not bad.  Not GREAT, but the RvR points for purchasing abilities was pretty nifty and some of the abilities were pretty damn nice.  So it was a VERY nice change.

Shadowbane - Fun as hell especially when you can get all the inventory they were carrying on them.  Money and all.  Cha-ching!  You kill someone and get a cash payout.  Can't beat that.  Free repair for your armor using the victims money and might even get other things out of it.  Major downside... the politics.  Ruined it all.  Couldn't kill who/when you wanted anymore.

WoW - bored me to death.  Didn't like graphics/gamplay/you name it.  Honor points system thingie for getting gear.  Meh, just like the others.

Meaningful for me is what do I get out of killing this victim?  Even if I get 100 gold... that's an extra 100 gold I didn't have.  You won't see me killing AFK or whatever characters that are just standing around naked.  Its a waste of reagents.  Now if they are AFK mining/lumberjacking.  Then I will wait and watch their script.  Once I find the opportune time to kill it to get the most I can.  I will whack em and take that loot.  Its been done to me and I will do it as well.  I see no problems in it from either side.

I also will fight someone for the fun of competition.  Seeing who is better and seeing what I need to improve on.  Of course... if I kill them I will probably loot everything.  Armor/gold/reagents/all of it.  Reason why?  I'll turn that armor into leather/ingots so I can craft myself other stuff out of it.

That's what I love about UO.  The "best" items don't have to be vanquishing weapons and such.  Even GM made weapons are awesome!  But, even vanquishing weapons aren't THAT rare that you have to camp for hours on end for them.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:46:51 PM

Tazel has only been posting inflammatory posts around here.  It is humorous that the nooblets wtfpwned him.  Tazel, you are not welcome to join us.  Not in this game.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 01:10:52 AM

I know the dude's just trolling, but the meaningfulness behind PvP in UO is mostly community-orientated.  Even before the days of instant messaging and in-game chat, those that were particularly skilled at it became famous.  You didn't even need to partake in it to know who was good at it, and who to watch out for.  Kinda like the Old West, in a way.

I bet anybody that played UO in the 90's could to this day name some of the top PvPers/PK's on their shards, easily.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:12:26 AM by Train Wreck »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: My First Night of Metro PVP  
Jump to: