Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Momir Basic Weekend 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Momir Basic Weekend  (Read 7411 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: June 14, 2006, 07:44:23 AM

Quote from: Scott L
Momir Weekend

START TIME: Friday June 16, 2006, 5:00 PM PDT
END TIME: Monday June 19, 2006, 9:00 AM PDT

Events will start every 2 hours.

Events are open to all players. Each event will be minimum 32 players and maximum 64 players.

ADMISSION Fee: 6 Tix

PRIZES: 1x

Format: Momir BASIC

Players must submit a deck that contains only basic lands (minimum 60 cards) and the “Momir Vig, Simic Visionary” avatar. Sideboards may contain only basic land.

The admission fee is steep, as it is for all constructed events, but hey, everyone loves Momir.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:51:29 PM

What the? I don't know anything about Vanguard, what is Momir? Basic lands only?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:15:24 PM

Playing Momir Vanguard means that you start with +4 life, and can activate the following ability once per turn as a sorcery...

X , Discard a card : Put a token into play that is a copy of a random creature with cmc X.

Random creature means any randomly selected from every creature in mtgo.

'Momir basic' means you play this game with a deck of exactly 60 basic lands.

A primer...

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/12118.html

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:32 PM

I want to play this. How doest I get the avatar?

Do I need the avatar to play Momir games for free?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:26:58 PM

So, you could get one of those Kamigawa dragons that everyone drools over, or you could get a Raging Goblin?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:10:56 AM

You do need the avatar - it was the participation avatar for Dissension release, so there are lots out there, it currently costs about 3 tix on the bots.

The random creature always has a CMC of X, where X is the mana you paid to activate Momir, so you can only get a Kami Dragon if paid 6, you can only get raging goblin if you paid 1. Usually people stick at 8 or 9 mana and just turn out a random 8 or 9 mana creature each turn.

In practice you have to skip 2 or 3 opportunities to activate momir in order to stop yourself running out of cards.

People generally skip turn 1 & 3.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:14:44 AM by eldaec »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 01:19:51 PM

Is there any real strategy involved? Seems kind of silly.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:33:19 PM

There's a fair amount of heated debate over which cmc value gives you the best creatures on average (mostly between those who say 8 and those who say 9), also over which turns you should skip creature creation on the way up. Plus there is the whole issue of when to use activated abilities which take mana away from creature creation.

I don't imagine this will be a pro-tour format any time soon ofc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:39:49 PM by eldaec »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 09:49:00 AM

Why would you not just use the ability every turn?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Xilren's Twin

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:42 AM

Why would you not just use the ability every turn?

I guess you could, but you would basically run yourself out of cards on turn 6 so to get to any critter costing 7 or more you would have to start skipping summoning then.

So it sounds like people skip the lower level speedbumps to delay and get a fatty hoping they sheet glut of creatures can stall the game until they get a bomb card.  While you could certainly get a useful low CC creature, the odds for a useful critter go up with the CC.  MtG has always had a lot of grey ogre filler stuff.

While it sounds fun, it still seems too random for 6 tix. :)

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 04:36:55 PM

As Xilren indicates.

Dropping a land and activating Momir takes two cards out of your hand.

You'd run out after six/seven turns, then the only way to get to eight mana would be to skip a creature. You'd prefer to be doing that in the early turns.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:18:38 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Xilren's Twin

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 08:44:53 AM

MTGO has always had avatars.  They are the players representation in the duel rooms and their picture during the duels themselves (when you take damage they become hurt looking until evetually you lose and they become a corpse).  Everyone has the same starting set but you can also win, buy, trade for other avatar pictures, usually tied to a specific release.

In Vanguard games, however, the avatar chosen has an effect on the starting condition of the games themselves (such as "+4 life, -1 hand size", or "all your creatures have haste, -3 hand size, or the Momir one mentioned here).  They did this in paper magic as well, with seperate, oversized cards.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 02:42:46 PM

But note that any vanguard format other than momir basic is the crappiest, most degenerate, most turn-1-comboiest nonsense available on mtgo. Sensible people steer well clear.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:50 PM

I watched a couple Momir BASIC tourneys after re-installing. It actually does take a fair amount of skill. I saw a lot of people making bad play mistakes like forgetting about abilities, not blocking with first-strikers, etc.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 01:09:39 PM

as long as this thread is being necro'd - I've been having a ton of fun the past few weeks with a 3-4 tix Momir Avatar and a 60 land deck.

8 mana is definately the save-your-ass number, with Blazing Archon, Hoverguard Sweepers, and Akroma (and others).  I aim to top out at 9 mana when playing, but I only use it if the board is stable or I'm ahead.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 09:05:04 PM

Yeah 8 mana seems pretty good overall, in the tournaments I saw everyone raced to 8.

It's pretty amazing how bad a lot of creatures are for their casting costs once you take away cards in hand, graveyard, sorceries and other synergies. There are a lot of 5cc cards that are basically 2/2 with nothing relevant. I would say 5cc looks the worst in that regard, a 5cc creature with a decent body and/or good abiltiies is pretty rare.

8cc mostly avoids that with a mix of good bodies and good abilities.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best strategies are. The randomness introduces a lot of noise, and the play mistakes do as well. I see a *lot* of people just forgetting what cards do, for example check this out:

Player 1 has the white creature that has first strike but gets -2/-2 if white is the most prevalent color.
Player 2 casts Veldaken Dismisser targetting another white creature, making white no longer the most prevalent color.
Player 2 attacks with Golgari Rotworm. (5/4)
Player 1 does not block, even though he now has a 5/5 first striker.

That was boggling. Basically every single play either of them made was a mistake.

Even playing lands people make mistakes, they have a guy who has a great ability for W but they discard a plains and play a 4th mountain instead.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Momir Basic Weekend  
Jump to: