Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Broken alt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken alt  (Read 3040 times)
Train Wreck
Contributor

on: June 13, 2006, 10:15:05 PM

When I try to log in with my healing monkey, Clyde, Ultima Online shows up on my task bar but doesn't display itself on the screen (acting like it's "hanging.")  It doesn't do this with Ain.  Does anybody know how to fix it?
Tahz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:09:39 AM

One suggestion you might try:

In the installation direction for Ultima (Let's assume it's C:\Program Files\Ultima Online - if you've put it somewhere else, substitute your chosen install path), there's a folder called Desktop.  Drilling down one more level, you'll see folders for every account for which you've logged in - hence, there'll be one for your account name for Metropolis.  Below THAT, you'll see all the shards on which that account has logged on - (Metropolis).  Finally, below THAT is a folder for each character.

Delete that character's folder.  You'll lose your macros you've built for him, but you can get around this by first saving "macros.txt" and putting that file somewhere else.  You can then paste it back into the folder when it gets re-created the next time you log in.

Since this is happening with one character and not another, it sounds like something wrong with one of the five other files in that folder (which are desktop.uos, chardata.mul, skillgrp.mul, uo.cfg, and multicache.dat)  This will not affect your Metropolis character in any way.  That's of course all server-side.  This folder only stores local preferences for each character - it's a client side profile, and it also does some local caching of certain game data for ease of display, such as houses in your nearby vicinity.  That way it doesn't have to ask the server for every damn tile for every house nearby every time you take a step.

Try that.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:24:52 AM

This has happened to me occasionally.  Its the bug where when you log onto that specific character UO immediately minimizes unto your task bar.  I know you fixed it last night by "Right click" and selecting maximize, but just in case that doesn't work another thing I did was I would shut down UO and relogin on another character on the same account.  After I did that (this character would pop-up like normal... it wouldn't minimize) I could then log onto the troublesome character.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:52:35 AM

yep, that's what was wrong.  It got minimized some how.

Thanks for the responses!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Broken alt  
Jump to: