Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Getting Started... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Started...  (Read 22184 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

on: June 08, 2006, 01:37:43 PM

Ok, so I have the client downloaded.  I am going to install and then grab Razor, UO Gateway, etc. this evening.

What is the most interesting yet noob friendly template?  Am I stuck with tank mage?  I've played mostly thief and mage type classes in other games, but since this is skill-based, I'm not quite sure whether I am about to gimp myself if I go for the stuff that looks nifty.

Please feel free to tell me how to build my character. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:59:01 PM

I'll let someone whose memory of this era of UO is more clear than my own tell you a template.  But I will say this:  Don't sweat gimping yourself.  You can drop old skills for new at any time, and you're going to be raising them via macroing anyway.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:38:15 PM

Ok, so I have the client downloaded.  I am going to install and then grab Razor, UO Gateway, etc. this evening.

What is the most interesting yet noob friendly template?  Am I stuck with tank mage?  I've played mostly thief and mage type classes in other games, but since this is skill-based, I'm not quite sure whether I am about to gimp myself if I go for the stuff that looks nifty.

Please feel free to tell me how to build my character. 

Honestly, we could use a good thief. There are times when they are just too cool. You can make a dexer thief or thief mage... I'll do my best to get ya going!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:47:53 PM

Ill expand a little

Thieving
Snooping
Magery
Eval
Med
Wrestle
Resist

or

Thieving
Snooping
WEAPON
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist
(slightly easier)

Lemme know ur ingame name and ill try to help out

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:36:59 PM

Is the second template more or less combat centric? I know any time you involve magery you're destined for combat most the time. Wouldn't mind rolling up a char and playing less of a combat thief.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 05:31:02 AM

A common skill used with non-mage types is hiding mostly so you can run and hide and heal yourself if need be.  Bandages take a little bit of time to heal you, but when you have GM healing and Anatomy the healing can be major!  Eventually you'll want to carry Greater Heal potions on you too (you can use 1 potion every 10 seconds).  Just another method of healing to keep you alive.  I haven't tried out Stealth yet, but I plan on making someone with it so I can see how useful it is. 

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:30 AM

Stealth is very cool but it takes patience. For those that don't know, the Stealth skill let's you walk - not run - while hidden. The higher your Stealth skill, the more steps you can take while hidden. GM Stealth = 20 steps. To improve Stealth, Hide and then try and take a step.

At least that is what I remember from 1999.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:05:30 AM

Wish I had time to play. I loved playing a UO thief, even before stealth went in (especially before that, actually).
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:21:01 AM

Wish I had time to play. I loved playing a UO thief, even before stealth went in (especially before that, actually).

I've heard is SO fun with stealth because you can walk around and sometimes even get into people's houses and such.  Walk up next to someone and start snooping their stuff and steal stuff and they won't even have a clue.  I think I might turn my IDOC ghost hunters into GM Stealth/Hide guys.  Who knows... we might get lucky and I send you guys a [MSG saying "Get your ASSES TO X Y Z Quick!! I'm in this guys house and he's not here.  We got LOOT AHOY!!".

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:29:37 AM

The other thing is, people that are careless with checks. There has been a few times I wish i was a thief / stealther...Work some phoney deal and have the thief swoop in and grab the check. If he gets caught grab it off his grey corpse :) People get careless because some banks are dead...

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:44 AM

Sheesh...I feel like an old timer.  I started back in Jan of 98, so it was like:  Archery, Tacticss, Magery, Magery Resist, Hiding, and 2 skill to keep you at 100 str and 100 intel.  It was easy to roll up, take 50 resisting spells, 49 magery, 1 archery, all str, and go trap a polar bear and skill up.

Later on, they over compensated and nerfed archery, then made it about even (still most considered it the lesser of the three magic=dexer  then archer).  I don't know the details of Metro shard, but a common dex fighter now is:

weapon skill (sword, mace, or fencing)
tactics
anatomy
healing
parrying
resisting spells

try and get those up to GM, then add like mager for recall, and hiding.  Bad part is unless you have magery up to 72 you can't get into Wind.  If posioning is needed to use posioned weapons, then that is one more thing to try and squeeze in...if not, carry a bag full of posioned weapons and switch between them as they are used.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:11 AM

Sheesh...I feel like an old timer.  I started back in Jan of 98, so it was like:  Archery, Tacticss, Magery, Magery Resist, Hiding, and 2 skill to keep you at 100 str and 100 intel.  It was easy to roll up, take 50 resisting spells, 49 magery, 1 archery, all str, and go trap a polar bear and skill up.

God i remember the crazy bow wars... Dump then thunk. I had a Vanq bow back then and there weren't many around, I was damn near unstoppable. You could run and shoot back then as well.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:36:18 AM

God i remember the crazy bow wars... Dump then thunk. I had a Vanq bow back then and there weren't many around, I was damn near unstoppable. You could run and shoot back then as well.

That's the funniest way of describing that method I have ever heard.  Dump then Thunk hahahahahaha!  I had a Extremely Accurate, something else, silver, Vanq Heavy Xbow on Chesapeake.  I laid waste to players and Undead alike. 

I used to run around naked or with pants on only waiting for people to attack me so I would pull out my bow and go THUNK!  I would sometimes go grey and walk back into town waiting on my next prey.  It was great!  My character was St Drahcir on the Chesapeake server.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 11:48:58 AM

So here I am trying to get this thing running.

I have the client installed and patched, UO Gateway and Razor installed....but Gateway is telling me that I don't have a client installed on my machine.

Clearly, I have done something wrong.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 11:52:05 AM

So here I am trying to get this thing running.

I have the client installed and patched, UO Gateway and Razor installed....but Gateway is telling me that I don't have a client installed on my machine.

Clearly, I have done something wrong.

I have a similiar issue.  All you need to do is start up razor and plug in the server information.  Fuck UOGateway. 

FYI I highly recommend everyone get UOA.  We can even set it up so we can see each other on the map!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 01:34:07 PM

The razor method is a go!

And I'm already dead, apparently Slayerik hits really hard with his bare hands.

I have now had the vast majority of the UO experience.  Also, I suck at making macros.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 02:10:35 PM

I have a similiar issue.  All you need to do is start up razor and plug in the server information.  Fuck UOGateway. 

FYI I highly recommend everyone get UOA.  We can even set it up so we can see each other on the map!

Me and you gonna be talking because I can't figure out how to get the freaking thing to let me do that!  Been itching to get that setup.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 02:11:39 PM

And I'm already dead, apparently Slayerik hits really hard with his bare hands.

I have now had the vast majority of the UO experience.  Also, I suck at making macros.

We can help ya make something.  If you need a healer while you spare with Slayerik I can ge tmy Dexxer guy over there to bandage you.  He can use some healing practice.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 02:13:30 PM

What I'm wondering now is what I do.  I'm dead inside a house.  As far as I can tell, I'm stuck.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 03:34:10 PM

Go help, select the option "Im physically stuck blah blah blah"

In 2 min you will be teleported.

Sorry, I was at work and forgot to tab twice to stop punchin ya....

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 05:38:56 PM

What's a good stealth based thief template? Just got everything installed and want to know what to pick for skills.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 05:56:53 PM

I should be setting things up either later tonight or early tomorrow.  Was thinking of...

Macing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist
Magery
Hiding

But I gotta tell ya, in all my years of UO I've never had a mage.  Ever.  What am I going to do with magery on this template, with no med or eval, besides recall around?  And what should my stats look like?

And this lootable house business.  Meh.  I wouldn't cry if they'd have just fudged and included the modern UO housing system.  It's the one area of the game which is inarguably superior to everything that had come before.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 07:20:15 PM

Anyone have some crafter advice?

I wouldn't mind having a crafter alt to make the stuff that Cheddar isn't making.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 07:53:15 PM

Anyone have some crafter advice?

I wouldn't mind having a crafter alt to make the stuff that Cheddar isn't making.

If you want to make/start a crafter I'd suggest starting like I did.  Starting with a bowyer and combined with lumberjack.  There's TONS of trees and wood isn't terribly heavy.  You can make yourself some decent $$ that way.

Just as FYI - I am a full crafter as well.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 08:20:55 PM

I should be setting things up either later tonight or early tomorrow.  Was thinking of...

Macing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist
Magery
Hiding

But I gotta tell ya, in all my years of UO I've never had a mage.  Ever.  What am I going to do with magery on this template, with no med or eval, besides recall around?  And what should my stats look like?

And this lootable house business.  Meh.  I wouldn't cry if they'd have just fudged and included the modern UO housing system.  It's the one area of the game which is inarguably superior to everything that had come before.

Thats a very good template. I love how many macers we are getting, people will be so stam drained it will be sick. Plus, maces are cheaper.

Magery in that template is good for a few things. Cast clumsy on target = -11 dex. On a tank mage that usually means they will be at 14 dex. That means they will be in big trouble as you whack on em with a fast mace. You can also spam small heals. A guy with this template owned me, though he had archery instead of hiding. Magery also has nice stuff like energy vortex, Dispel, blade spirit, cure, and you can land a nice cross heal in a pinch. ETC ETC :)

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 08:25:45 PM

What's a good stealth based thief template? Just got everything installed and want to know what to pick for skills.

Ole cmdrslack just made one, a pair of ya would be brutal.

Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Stealing
Macing
Anat
Healing

It has its holes, the mace is to get away. or help with the gangbang.

If i made a thief he would be a thief mage...

Mage
resist
eval
med
wrestle

snoop steal

just basically try to nab things like bandages from dexers, mandrake root from mages, weapons, etc. Kill em good ole mage style.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 09:08:55 PM

If you want to make/start a crafter I'd suggest starting like I did.  Starting with a bowyer and combined with lumberjack.  There's TONS of trees and wood isn't terribly heavy.  You can make yourself some decent $$ that way.

That describes my very first UO character ever, and it is good money for little risk as a newb.  Anyway, Razor and stuff is downloading now.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 09:10:14 PM

Server wars are from 12 to about 12:30, no saves

Just  a heads up...

Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 05:26:05 AM

I don't know about Metro, but a good way to macro thieving in '99 was to find a buddy and carry stacks of leather hides on you.  (The heavier an item that you try to steal is, the more difficult it will be, so when skillgain gets too slow, add some more leather to the stack).

Another handy thing to do with a macro partner is Hiding and Detect Hidden.

By the way, is there any need for treasure hunters on Metro?  I had a lot of fun with mine on Pacific.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 06:55:39 AM

I don't know about Metro, but a good way to macro thieving in '99 was to find a buddy and carry stacks of leather hides on you.  (The heavier an item that you try to steal is, the more difficult it will be, so when skillgain gets too slow, add some more leather to the stack).

By the way, is there any need for treasure hunters on Metro?  I had a lot of fun with mine on Pacific.

We totally need a treasure hunter. My advice would be a bard...I think Cheddar has LP, but we still need a cartographer.

I remember hearing something about stealing from your own pack mule, then u can just fill em back up :)

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 07:46:27 AM

We totally need a treasure hunter. My advice would be a bard...I think Cheddar has LP, but we still need a cartographer.

I remember hearing something about stealing from your own pack mule, then u can just fill em back up :)

I do have LP.  I just need to get my hands on a ton of picks and some lockable boxes.  A Bard would make a GREAT treasure hunter;  peacemake is nasty wicked and extremely handy in both PvP and PvE (you can completely disarm a tamer with peacemake, for example).

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 10:02:50 AM

The stealing from a pack mule worked on AI, and used to work on the official servers, was an easy macro with UO Assist and EZ Macro or later on with UO Razor.

You had to have a pack mule, put something 10 stones in it (since you have to have 100 to steal it), say all guard me, open his pack, and try and steal the item.  Been a while, but the jist is around that way.

Does Metro have the locked treasure chests in the dungeons?  On AI (Angle Island) most new people would make a treasure mule and crafting mule to get started:  crafting guy would make lock picks and locked chests at variours skill levels (or you could buy these from other players), then the treasure chest mule would get hiding, stealth, detect hidden, remove trap, lockpicking  (tinkering to get remove trap up...then you can let it drop), musicmanship, and peacemaking.  You are a hider and not going to be in any combat, but you could walk to the dungeons and hit the lower levels and crawl out with a lot of gold and items.  Plus later on, you could switch him into a mage and drop stealth, hiding, music, and peacemaking, that would leave room to  take magery, magic resist, eval intel, and meditation.  Or you could make a bard with music, peacemaking, provocation and/or magery or discord...magery for traveling, discord to help make the monsters easier to kill.

Man, all this talk about UO is making me want to dig out my box and download UORazor again.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:30 PM

Dont be scared, the worst that can happen is ill give ya 5k gold, a runebook and some runes, a full spellbook and you'll quit :)

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 05:13:27 PM

Anyone know where I can find a vendor that sells hatchets?  I started up my crafter and somehow he lost his hatchet.  I don't know if it was stolen from his hands or if the damn things just decay and break on you.  At any rate, I've been scouring Brit and haven't found one (I did make an exceptional bow or three though).  Darniaq told me to check Vesper, so barring that, is there one in Brit?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 06:26:52 PM

Anyone know where I can find a vendor that sells hatchets?  I started up my crafter and somehow he lost his hatchet.  I don't know if it was stolen from his hands or if the damn things just decay and break on you.  At any rate, I've been scouring Brit and haven't found one (I did make an exceptional bow or three though).  Darniaq told me to check Vesper, so barring that, is there one in Brit?

Yes.  Check the blacksmith near West bank or in the northern part of town (near the road heading to Brit Grave).  I highly recommend you move cities though; Brit is a sea of decadence (and thieves).

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Getting Started...  
Jump to: