Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:13:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Television thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Television thread  (Read 502666 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: June 01, 2006, 07:57:23 PM

Since the last TV thread has sunk too far to be necroed,  I figured we need a new one.

Sopranos --  The big season finale coming up.  The major question is whether they'll continue to set up a NY vs. NJ war,  or if we'll have another last minute reconciliation like we did with the last season.

Supposedly next season is the last,  and a gang war would make some fun TV.

Deadwood -- New season starts next Sunday.  The previews for it have been great,  really setting the tone.  You have the mining situation heating up (Widow Garrett vs. Hearst),  Swearengen (cocksucker!) and Bullock,  Tolliver who is just an evil evil bastard,  and historically lots more Western legends are supposed to breeze into town.

Rescue Me --  Season 3 started on Monday.

I missed the premier,  but rewatched season 2 on DVD.  FUCK, this is good drama.  The most painful portrayal of alcoholism I think I've ever seen.

FX replays the hell out of it,  so will catch the premier on Sunday at 10pm.

Venture Bros -- Restarting in June with season 2.  I love this show.  It really speaks to how much potential the animated format has.  The characters manage to be real people and cartoonish archetypes at the same time.

And it's immensely quotable.

Justice League -- My nostalgia kick.  Great superhero action cartoon.  Cartoon Network has been screwing with the schedule,  so I think I've missed most of this final season.  It gets my vote as best realization on screen of what comics can be and do.

I'm still mourning the death of Dead Like Me,  which was a neat character based show with minor comedy/supernatural elements to leaven the fact that it often dealth with very serious topics (death, relationships, family, work).

Sort of on my radar:  Dresden Files and Battlestar Galactica.

Dresden Files should be airing sometime soon,  and is an adaption of Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series of books.  Noir detective fiction meets supernatural/alternate reality.  Basically,  supernatural critters live side by side with real world stuff,  but ordinary people have a tough time seeing/believing it.  Has a Whedonesque vibe,  though I hope there will be much more plot progression....

Battlestar Galactica....   I dropped the ball here.  I like the series,  but work and social pressures meant I missed the entire last season.  May have to hold out for the DVDs and catch up.

I know it's great TV.

Anyway,  folks have anything more to add?  I'm a sporadic TV viewer,  so I always like to be turned on to something good.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:23 PM

I finally started watching Deadwood. Season 1 was great, but I'm starting to loseinterest at the beginning of 2. Probably won't bother with 3. Burned out on Sopranos in the same way as well.

Probably not relevant to this thread, but I've pretty much kept my TV on Discovery Science 90% of the time. It's like the good ole days, when American Chopper and "When Tornadoes Strike!!" didn't exist.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:14:07 PM

There was a blub in EW this week that because Milch is starting some other show that this will be the last season of Deadwood and he even turned down the ability to have a 3-5 episode "final" season to wrap up storylines. They apparently didn't renew any of the contracts for the actors. No other confirmation beyond that at this point but that sounds really stupid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:14:45 PM

I finally started watching Deadwood. Season 1 was great, but I'm starting to loseinterest at the beginning of 2. Probably won't bother with 3. Burned out Sopranos a long time ago as well.

Probably not relevant to this thread, but I've pretty much kept my TV on Discovery Science 90% of the time. It's like the good ole days, when American Chopper and "When Tornadoes Strike!!" didn't exist.

Season 2 of Deadwood starts off slowly.  Al is sidelined for a while,  the Doctor doesn't show up much,  Janey Stubbs is kind of meh.  Bout half way in it gets going.

Tolliver starts acting like a complete evil bastard,  Woo's problems,  and the behind the scenes politicking and deal-making are all interesting.  The triumphant return of Swearengen marks where the show starts going full bore.

The Swearengen monolgues are amazing, I think.  I thought that monologues were completely a lost art.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:32:53 PM

There was a blub in EW this week that because Milch is starting some other show that this will be the last season of Deadwood and he even turned down the ability to have a 3-5 episode "final" season to wrap up storylines. They apparently didn't renew any of the contracts for the actors. No other confirmation beyond that at this point but that sounds really stupid.

Yes, the actors are all free to pursue other work. If they do manage to get HBO to pay for a wrap up, they'll probably have to call in other actors to fill some of the key roles. As Al would say: If I bleet when I speak that’s because I just got fuckin’ fleeced.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:20:21 PM

I was thinking about necro posting the old thread. Did you guys hear that Surface was canceled? :(

I'm not watching anything right now, but the cool thing is SG-1 and Atlantis start right after the World Cup is over :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:39 AM

I'm still mourning the death of Dead Like Me,  which was a neat character based show with minor comedy/supernatural elements to leaven the fact that it often dealth with very serious topics (death, relationships, family, work).

That was definitely an interesting show... but I never could get the image out of my head of that main star being an adolescent lesbian.  Kind of ruined it for me for some reason.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:48:38 AM

Just started watching Boston Legal. Haven't we had like 3 threads that devolved into conversations about Dead Like Me. Dresden Files sounds interesting and maybe I'm not getting the Whedon comparison, but his shit and Dresden seem like they aren't alike at all. During the summer I generally fall back to watching foreign (read: asian) drama and anime and then pick up my american tv watching in the fall. I'll still watch the same shit: Smallville, Gilmore Girls, House, etc.

Edit: Oh, and Supernatural. That show is just fucking awesome. As much as I love Grey's Anatomy, I'm super happy they killed off Denny since he became a star on Supernatural. I didn't want to see him have to choose to play a bit part, even IF he got to touch Katherine Heigl's boobies every week - every man deserves that. Or at least Denny did.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:03:11 AM

I'm sorry....  Your post was a blur after "Katherine Heigl's boobies".
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 06:32:17 AM

That girls is extremely hawt.  I still have a couple of her pictures on this laptop.

Yeah, I'm posting from work on a work laptop;  your point ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 08:38:41 AM

I've been watching the same old stuff, Bullshit is in new episodes and is always fun. Discovery HD when it's nature or science, though I do enjoy American Chopper. HDNet has some great programming, HDNet World Report is usually intense and a nice fairly in-depth look at news like news channels don't do. Sound Off with Matt Pinfield is cool, too, he's a good interviewer.

Been into the Food stuff lately, License to Grill, Good Eats, Jacques Pepin (on PBS). Dr Who is ok, I don't enjoy it as much as I do the Stargates, but it's good saturday morning stuff (thanks, DVR). I'm watching Odyssey 5, some HD channel is playing the first season, it's not quite as good as Who imo, but it's helping fill the Stargate jones...

Mostly nature, science, food, current events (not news, though) and music.

Network stuff: The Office and Earl is about it.

Guilty stuff: Supergroup. I love Nuge.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 08:43:17 AM

This will be Deadwood's last season, and Justice League has already finished its run. I forgot about Rescue Me, and I didn't see it on my Tivo, so I have to make sure I get it sometime this weekend.

Most of my TV viewing has come to an end with the end of most of the seasons. I will say that The Unit, Dennis Haysbert's new thing, has been surprisingly good. It's got a bit too much Desperate Housewives, but the action bits outweigh those.

WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:56 AM

I finally started watching Deadwood. Season 1 was great, but I'm starting to loseinterest at the beginning of 2. Probably won't bother with 3. Burned out Sopranos a long time ago as well.

Season 2 of Deadwood starts off slowly.  Al is sidelined for a while,  the Doctor doesn't show up much,  Janey Stubbs is kind of meh.  Bout half way in it gets going.

Tolliver starts acting like a complete evil bastard,  Woo's problems,  and the behind the scenes politicking and deal-making are all interesting.  The triumphant return of Swearengen marks where the show starts going full bore.

The Swearengen monolgues are amazing, I think.  I thought that monologues were completely a lost art.

Reqiuem for a Gleet contained one of the most horrifying scenes ever put to film. /shudder

I missed Season 1, and started watching the first ep of Season 2 (then went and bought season 1!). I enjoyed all of them, to tell the truth. 2 has more multi-episode storylines, so I guess some of the eps can seem slow. I loved it though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 10:22:58 AM

Was that horrifying episode the one where Al has to pass the kidneystone?

Yeah, that one makes me cringe now, just thinking about it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:21:56 AM

If by "pass" you mean "have a metal rod shoved up his urethra," then yes.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:34 AM

I'm trying to figure out Justice League's episodes, but it's confusing. Justice League had 2 seasons, than the show was renamed to Justice League Unlimited and had 3 more seasons, that are not seasons 3,4 and 5 of JL, but rather 1,2 and 3 of JLU. Did I get that right?

In other news - The 4400 season 3 is starting this Sunday. Woot.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 10:30:35 AM

Sopranos season finale was rather anti-climactic.  It was a very good episode, but it would have been better as great mid-season episode rather than a non-cliffhanger, doom is in the air "season finale".   Waiting for 8 more emminently disappointing episodes is going to be torture.  At least I get one more year of Deadwood. Woot.

*Possible vague spoiler, SKIP IF YOU TIVO'D BIG LOVE*
Big Love season finale was great.  Cloe Sevigny can really act. The Hendrickson family is fucking screwed and seeing how they'll possibly get out of this is going to make for great TV.  Painful, but great.  It's amazing how badly they could get burnt by pissing off Roman's pre-pubescent wife to be.  That little bitch needs to die screaming (kill Roman off while you're at it, eh?).  I've got a feeling this may be a show that doesn't end up ever becoming a happy ending.
*VAGUE BUT OBVIOUS SPOILER DONE*

Gilmore Girls season finale was terrible as was much of the season.  I love how someone can set up a 5 season long love story and have it crumble in a season due to two characters all of the sudden acting differently that they have for the past five years.  A story that thrives on writing simply cannot stand being poorly written and having poorly constructed plots.  The creator (who is also the head writer) has left the show.  Either it'll get horribly worse as all of the characters will start sounding different (the dialogue in this show is rather unique) or it'll right itself and all of the sudden we'll get a "hey, sorry about last season, we know we fucked up" reversal in the current story line.  Seriously, if it pans out like it's heading, I'm going to end up garroting someone.

If I only get another half season out of Veronica Mars, I'm going to be pissed off. Best show on TV. If you watch this show and aren't hooked after a few episodes, you have no soul. 

-Rasix
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 10:36:21 AM

I'm trying to figure out Justice League's episodes, but it's confusing. Justice League had 2 seasons, than the show was renamed to Justice League Unlimited and had 3 more seasons, that are not seasons 3,4 and 5 of JL, but rather 1,2 and 3 of JLU. Did I get that right?

Yes.

They're done by the same people, but it's set several years after Justice League was and includes a much, much more varied cast of characters.

Justice League contained only:
    * Superman
    * Batman
    * Wonder Woman
    * Flash
    * Green Lantern
    * J'onn J'onzz
    * Hawkgirl

JLU contained:
    * All of the above
    * Aquaman
    * Supergirl
    * Atom
    * Black Canary
    * Booster Gold
    * Captain Atom
    * Doctor Fate
    * Elongated Man
    * Green Arrow
    * Huntress
    * Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
    * The Question
    * Zatanna
    * Vixen
    * Hawk
    * Dove
    * Stargirl
    * Shining Knight
    * Dr. Light
    * Fire
    * Red Tornado
    * Ice
    * Steel
    * Crimson Avenger
    * Speedy
    * S.T.R.I.P.E.
    * Vigilante
    * Rocket Red
    * Orion
    * B'wana Beast
    * Wildcat
    * Ah fuck it, here.

Naturally, with such a huge cast each given episode featured a few particular characters.  Hawk & Dove even got their own episode, pretty much.

It's more like a spin-off of Justice League than anything, except it still contains all the original characters, and it does even resolve and hint to story arcs that happened not only in Justice League, but in other Bruce Timm DC animated shows.  For instance, there's a Batman Beyond story in there.

Cartoon Network has been screwy with this series since forever.  I can almost never catch it.  I never see any advertisments for it, and they move it all over the place in the schedule.  So I gave up, and I'm going to pick it up on DVD when it comes out.

But I have to say, it's probably my favorite comic book cartoon, even among Bruce Timm's other work.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:43:54 AM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 10:44:15 AM

I just watched the Pilot epsiode of "Korgoth of Barbaria" on Adult Swim / Cartoon Network.  It was both hyper-violent and hilarious at the same time, esp. to DND / Fantasy fans.  Its now my favorite Adult Swim offering but won't start up until later this year.

http://media.tv.ign.com/media/829/829954/imgs_1.html
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 10:59:10 AM

stuff

Thanks. The crappy thing is I saw JLU first, now I'll have to watch JL. Well, anyway, I'll live.

Rasix - what's that about Veronica Mars, is it going to get canceled or something? I love that show.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 12:39:15 PM

I just watched the Pilot epsiode of "Korgoth of Barbaria" on Adult Swim / Cartoon Network.  It was both hyper-violent and hilarious at the same time, esp. to DND / Fantasy fans.  Its now my favorite Adult Swim offering but won't start up until later this year.

http://media.tv.ign.com/media/829/829954/imgs_1.html

Yeah, it was quite good.

Rasix

Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 01:34:23 PM

Rasix - what's that about Veronica Mars, is it going to get canceled or something? I love that show.

Straight from the horse's mouth, Rob Thomas just e-mailed me to confirm that Veronica Mars has been renewed for a third season. The show got a 22-episode order that, depending on ratings, can be reduced to 13.

The show's always had horrible raitings despite being universally loved by TV critics and having a cult following (much like Arrested Development, Firefly, Wonderfalls.. need I go on).   I have hopes, however, that'll make the full 22.  After each season it's been doubtful that the show would even be renewed, but it still manages to carry on.  I hope they don't have to make too many concessions this season, there was quite a bit of new casting and plot direction that was an attempt to gather new viewers or that originated as a directive by someone other than the creative staff or creator.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 02:27:20 PM

Am I the only one here that watches The Office, US version?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 02:37:28 PM

Am I the only one here that watches The Office, US version?

Nope!  I didn't like the first season at all, it was too Steve Carrell focused.  Second season was solid gold though; they've really got a great cast and they used them all rather well.  Great season finale also (a ton of shit happened).  The office conflict resolution episode was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Dwight (one of his complaints against Jim, there's an entire box full of them): My phone hit me in the head.
Jim (explaining to camera): Yah, I kept adding nickels to his handset and when he got use to the weight I just removed them.

Dwight: Everytime I typed my name, it showed up as "Diapers".
Jim : Simple macro.

Dwight: At the end of my day, my desk was two feet closer to the copier. 
Jim: That one was tricky.  Everytime I got up I moved his desk a couple inches.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 02:37:43 PM

I have gotten into The Office in the past few months. Still think the UK version was vastly superior, but the American version is pretty damned funny.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 02:46:24 PM

I watch the Office US religiously. It is definitely one of the funniest things on TV, especially when coupled with My Name is Earl on the same night.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 03:12:46 PM

I have gotten into The Office in the past few months. Still think the UK version was vastly superior, but the American version is pretty damned funny.

I'm not so sure its that pronounced. It's hard to replace Gervais, but there's some remarkable casting for the US version, and its just right for its market. Besides, I think they did the awkward office relationship (Tim/Pam rather than Gareth/Dawn) better this time round. I'd like to see Le Bureau.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 05:14:23 PM

Looks like Deadwood will get a couple specials to wrap up the show.

Deadwood fans will be very happy to learn that there will be proper closure for the western drama, as Variety is reporting an agreement has been reached between creator David Milch and HBO to produce a pair of two-hour specials that will serve as a finale for the series. Last month HBO had decided to not renew options for the cast of the show, effectively ending the series and in the process greatly upsetting fans, and by most accounts Milch, who felt the show was being prematurely pulled; season 3 has completed production and will begin airing this month. Milch had always intended the series to run for four seasons, but HBO had grown concerned with the expensive economics of the series, which cost approximately $5 million an episode to produce, and had decided to cut the series short.

However, as we reported last week , the scrapping of the Deadwood set had been called off, as HBO worked to strike a new deal with Milch for a continuation and wrap up for the show. With Milch now in place, new deals will have to be negotiated with the cast, who will be signing for the pair of two-hour specials instead of a full season. HBO feels confident they can work out deals with all the necessary cast members of the large ensemble, which includes Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane, in his Golden Globe winning role as Al Swearengen.

Each episode of Deadwood has taken place over just one day, but with the specials, Milch will change up that format, enabling him to cover a larger period of time for the characters than he would in normal episodes. At first HBO and Milch discussed a truncated six-episode season four, but Milch is said to prefer the two specials as a way to end his story. No word yet on when the specials will go into production or air, but season 3 of Deadwood debuts on Sunday, June 11th

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 02:53:29 AM

FIVE MILLION AN EPISODE ?

How can people spend that much money making a 45 minute thing about cowboys ?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 03:08:37 AM

If only that other show with cowboys (err..in space) had this kind of budget. Or any budget at all, for that matter.

[edit] Production values are great in Deadwood though. I'm not surprised.

Plus it's a larger than average cast.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 03:25:25 AM

I watch the Office US religiously. It is definitely one of the funniest things on TV, especially when coupled with My Name is Earl on the same night.

My Name is Earl is just awesome.  A genuine treasure.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 07:23:21 AM

I might look for the UK version of The Office, but the US one is really good and I don't need more TV.  I don't care for the romance portion, but of course the Jim vs Dwight stuff is top-notch.  Dwight's deadpan is one of the best I have ever seen.  The day they had badges made?  "That .. is enormous. ... I am not a security threat. ... My middle name is not 'Fart'."  One of my favorites is when Jim moves his desk into the restroom and then calls him asking for some data... Dwight's "I have given you this so many times already" or however it goes should be in a comedy textbook on how to deadpan.

The only other thing I bother to watch is Family Guy and Robot Chicken.  Waiting on Galactica and Venture.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 11:01:47 AM

HBO is rerunning Season 3 of The Wire starting this Sunday. It is a great show. It helps if you've seen the first two seasons (which are on DVD and are also great) but each season has a somewhat contained storyline.

EDIT: An in that same badges ep was the classic Dwight line: "I don't smile. It's a sign of submission in primates. When someone smiles at me all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:05:07 AM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 01:52:22 PM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 07, 2006, 02:48:52 PM

If only that other show with cowboys (err..in space) had this kind of budget. Or any budget at all, for that matter.
It would not help when the broadcaster changes its time slot every other week and decides not to air episodes, air them out of order, or produce commercials that emphasize everything the show is not.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Television thread  
Jump to: