Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Question for any web developers: J2EE/Websphere 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for any web developers: J2EE/Websphere  (Read 1946 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

on: June 17, 2004, 08:34:54 AM

Do any of you out there know anything about developing J2EE applications in Websphere? I just found out I'm going to be working on a project using these and I have no background in them whatsoever.

Any of you used these before and have any beginner oriented book or website recommendations?

Thanks.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 12:49:50 PM

EVIL! Websphere doesn't fucking implement the J2EE 1.2 spec fully. It is an overpriced piece of crap that gets play because it is made by IBM.

Oh. If you want to do JMS?  You get to pay for IBM MQ.

Have a nice day and make certain you thank whomever is responsible for your misery often!

:)

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 12:16:30 AM

What type of J2EE app? That can mean a lot of things. What version of Websphere? 5?

If you know Java, I'm sure there are many good books on J2EE, I could ask around for a good one. Websphere is ok...not as easy as Weblogic. Depending on what you are doing it may not be any problem at all, other than that deployment is a bit annoying.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 06:30:10 AM

I honestly have no idea what the app is exactly. I was just informed that I will be supporting it despite not really knowing any of the technology.

It is a web-based app that is using an Oracle database. The Websphere version was 5.1 and they used Java 1.4.

I will be getting at least some training since they told me to go ahead and look for a training course to take. I'm thinking I'll probably take a Java training course since I have no Java experience at all. Do you think that would be the best place to start?

As far as pweb development I know the following very well: ASP, .Net, VB, JavaScript, VBScript, IIS, etc... I've been doing MS-based web development for about 4 years so I have most of that down but this Java and Websphere stuff is brand new.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 07:57:52 AM

If they are asking you to pick what courses you need go ahead and soak em for an Oracle DBA cert (since you said the app uses Oracle and the Oracle tools are written in JAVA...) at the local university.  Last time I looked the cert ran 10k+.  JAVA, if you have any OOP experiance at all you can pick up while you work with it, really it's very straight forward. EJB's are really just a methodology - buy a book and read it over a weekend (again if you have Object Orientated experience) and you will know all you need.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 10:53:37 AM

I would try something like that but I have about a $2000 budget to spend on training.

This is the course I'm thinking of asking for...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Question for any web developers: J2EE/Websphere  
Jump to: