Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your "Best MMO PvP experience" so far. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your "Best MMO PvP experience" so far.  (Read 22303 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:27 AM

Just wondering.
I'd like to know which MMO game gave your best PvP experience so far. And, of course, why.

Please note I am not asking for a fair opinion on it. I could say that Game A PvP was great but I for some reason enjoyed Game B more. This is not about which game you think had the best PvP.
Just which one gave you the best experience (or the best memories if you like).

I will go first, and I have to say Ultima Online since 1997 to 1999.
I never ever felt the same sense of danger and uncertainty of those old days.
It was so great to venture in a forest knowing that my char's life and possessions were on the line every time.
It was so great to live the bluff of "robed" characters, without having a safe way to know if they were newbies or strong ones.
It was so great to have to group and to confront other guilds or "packs of PKs" with all the hide and seek play.. the chasing in the forests, the scouting, the stalking in the dungeons, the ambushes. Back in the days we didn't use Teamspeak nor there were /tells in game.. We relied on ICQ for what it was worth, but basically we had to use the GAME to communicate. So we used to shout to keep communicating with guildees during a PK crisis... it felt so true, so authentic. It felt more war than any Battlefield, Planetside, Call of Duty or anything I ever played. I used to play PvP in UO like there wasn't a tomorrow, like everything was on the line and like my Char's life was its only life. And yes, back then it was great for me. And I have yet to feel such strong thrills in a videogame.

It was a mixture of low-technology, high-hostility and uber noobness (everyone was a noob, after all). But still, it was something truly unique for me. Not sure if those memories are repeatable, probably not, regardless of the game and the PvP mechanics. Still, I feel that no matter the ganking or the crybabes, my best PvP experiences are tied to the days when the equipment I worked 2 months to get was gone in a single well timed ambush, or the days when I collected the bounty for one of the most wanted Murderer of the server almost without knowing it and got so much money that I did finally bought the house I always wanted but couldn't afford. :)

What about you?

P.S: ("Search is your friend...". Yes, I did a search for a similar topic and didn't found one. If it's there and I couldn't find it, please ban me forever, send me to hell... or just give me the custom title "Double Poster Extraordinaire")

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:25:52 AM

Yeah....There was a thread about this once. I'm too lazy to post my favorite experience, but I will say my favorite PvP moments are when Lore, RP, PvE, and PvP just 'click'. It had happened a few times in Shadowbane (and once at epic proportions, resulting in Wolfpack destroying my city...Which is not as bad as it sounds), and there was even a funny moment I had in WoW once.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 08:32:42 AM

It might just be better to necropost the old thread.. since it's been done before.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:38:42 AM

I like fair fights. Guild Wars has given me the most fair fights.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:50:37 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:49:27 AM

Nothing has really come close to PlanetSide for me.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:55:30 AM

I'd have to say Shadowbane in beta, though I can't really pinpoint an exact moment. It was most certainly before the 3.5 beta patch that fucked PVP all to hell and back (as well as destroyed the frame rate), probably about the time I helped lead the House Daenyr forces halfway across the world to siege a city on a Saturday morning. We didn't take the city, but damn was it amazing to watch all those catapults tossing off shots.

Of course, there's also that assualt in SB when House Daenyr tried to destroy those green and white crested fucker's city after release. That was pretty damn good too, other than the 15 SB.exe's that plagued me on the march there.

CadetUmfer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:00:55 AM

SWG. Starsider.  Operation SEIGE, around Feb '04.

Basically involved getting a mole high enough into a Rebel guild to grant zoning rights to their city (the biggest/most popular Rebel city at the time).  Then dropping a half-dozen imperial bases and some priviate safe-houses and enjoying a 24/7 warzone for about a month.

Anthony Umfer
Developer, LiftOff Studios
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:07:39 AM

SWG. Starsider.  Operation SEIGE, around Feb '04.

Basically involved getting a mole high enough into a Rebel guild to grant zoning rights to their city (the biggest/most popular Rebel city at the time).  Then dropping a half-dozen imperial bases and some priviate safe-houses and enjoying a 24/7 warzone for about a month.

Things like that were possible in SWG? Darn, when?
Where was I?
Al ready gone, probably. But still!

WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:26:59 AM

My favorite experience has been documented in Lum's excellent book.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:38:08 AM

Of course, there's also that assualt in SB when House Daenyr tried to destroy those green and white crested fucker's city after release. That was pretty damn good too, other than the 15 SB.exe's that plagued me on the march there.

I remember that march. I felt so bad for you, right up until I had an sb.exe myself.

Can't say I've had any 'memorable' experiences in MMOs.  I enjoy fair fights, not ganks and the PVP scene these days just don't provide that often.  I really enjoy WoW's BGs if I can get into a group where folks aren't concerned with their # of kills more than the objectives.  If I had to pick, I'd say WoW, AB or AV are some of the best with Planetside about 3 years ago being second.

If you broaden it past MMOs, America's Army was the best PvP experience I've ever had.  The objectives aren't just "kill the other side."  So one or two wily players were often able to win a match while the other team was just trying to wipe you out and not covering objectives.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:55:41 AM

Some of the GW stuff was pretty hot, especially when BC was stilll running strong in that game....we would have gone to the championship match if our special NPC hadn't gotten trapped under the map's architecture.

Hmm, in WoW my cow warrior won a 3v1 once. That was pretty hot. Also, many of my Gnomish Death Ray kills were funny. My cow was fun to PvP with....until I hit 51.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:03:45 AM

Shill.

Anyway... SB in beta with Haemish and Co.  Good times, that... well, until the good times started going bad.  There there were bad times which got worse.  Then I wandered off. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:14:55 AM

Shill.

Anyway... SB in beta with Haemish and Co.  Good times, that... well, until the good times started going bad.  There there were bad times which got worse.  Then I wandered off. 

Quiet, Feet!  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:21:58 AM

First day in UO will never be topped. Just the awe of the whole thing. I don't think much happened other than my character got killed by a giant spider. I didn't get PKed for at least a month, too.

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:30:08 AM

Oddly enough, mine was probably in WoW, ambushing Alliance carebears in Stranglethorn.  Normally I am not on the winning side in a PVP engagement, hehe.  I expect to have some great stories from EVE after a while.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:07 AM

Quiet, Feet!  :-D

Stop calling me Feet!  You people have made it so I can't change my avatard, too!  Oh how I grumbed!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:37:19 AM

Defenetly UO.

First the Tank Mage days, then then thief archer days. Precastering was awesome.

No game will ever again give the feel that UO had.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 10:42:03 AM

Pinnacle: Old school UO, ive rattled on about this enough in past threads. Lets just say there is no substitute, at least hasnt been one yet.

Excellent experiences: Neocron outpost battles. Yeah the game had its problems, but when you had a 10 on 10 fight it that game, it was war. No instant heals, the PSI monks had to 'start heals' and use their deflectors and shelters well. All the while nuking the piss out of other targets. Neocron 1 vrs 1 field PVP was hot too, you could actually lose something or gain items if you won. Neat concept. Strange that I find the best PVP involves risk...go figure...Maybe because there is something actually at stake, that you worked for? You could actually gain something? We'll have to look into the concepts more someday. ;)

Shadowbane: My first sb.exe siege, all the guilds on Mourning allied for a day or 2 to wipe the ARAC scum Denied off the map. Selling runes for $20 (were runes),$ 50 (travellers) , and $75-100 (commander) was just icing on the cake.

Planetside: Huge ass Cyssor battles FTW.

WoW: Random world PVP was always exciting. I was a server legend for my priestliness in TM/ SS battles. :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 10:45:33 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with random pirate hunting in EVE, even if I do die most of the time. The thrill of knowing my ship could go kaboom at any moment is good, even if it frustrates me sometimes.

My first PvP experience was on a MUD called Kobra - a Star Wars based MUD with full factions and BHs and Jedi and personal combat droids. Total blast. I remember playing Kobra while in the computer lab at school (something you aren't suppose to do) and having my friends and I ganked by this high ranking BH who used droids to trap us in this space station and totally jacked us up. Yelling and swear words galore until the computer teacher turned off the computers.  :-D

Also had great PvP experiences in SWG until they put in the bases. Was a lot of fun until folks started using glitches and the group-kill flag stuff to gank folks. I remember being the lone flagged Imperial soldier in one of the Rebel cities, running around with my BH title on. Couple of flagged rebel noobs decided they could take me (even though I was completely ignoring them and just passing through) and both ended up getting sent to the cloning facility after getting shot in the face with my scatter pistol. Ahh those were the days.

I enjoyed the PvP in Guild Wars, since it is much more even, but I like chance encounters much more. Chasing a pirate around a system (in EVE) to force him into a bad spot is a lot of fun .. until he logs off and you have effectively just spent over an hour warping around. But! That one time you catch them off guard and totally paste his Battlecruiser in your cheapo Cruiser, it's all worth it.

- Viin
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 10:49:28 AM

I'd have to say Shadowbane in beta, though I can't really pinpoint an exact moment. It was most certainly before the 3.5 beta patch that fucked PVP all to hell and back (as well as destroyed the frame rate), probably about the time I helped lead the House Daenyr forces halfway across the world to siege a city on a Saturday morning. We didn't take the city, but damn was it amazing to watch all those catapults tossing off shots.

My best PvP moment was when we did "PvP training" in beta 3.1 with House Daenyr and split into two groups. I had perfected the overpowered defense build on a crusader, and after the rest of my team had been eliminated (too many fragile casters), I was faced with a five against one smackdown. It took Haemish, Jory and others a full ten minutes to kill me, during which time I killed two of them. In fact, it it hadn't been for Jory's overpowered attack build on his ranger, I'd have had that fight.

Needless to say, Wolfpack put in a fix to prevent people from building the extreme defense template that I'd created, as well as a fix for Jory's ranger template.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 11:07:32 AM

My "best" experience was early in UO beta phase 2. This pretty much cemented me as a 'bad guy' for eternity. At this point in the game, Vesper was a hotspot for dueling fags, and at this point in my life I honeymooned as a dueling fag. I had fought a ton so I had a REP. I also posted a bunch on various forums, although I can't specifically remember where this guy knew me from.

Anyways, I was hopping moongates looking for the right place (this was when it took 20-30 hops to get to a specific place - you'd go from Trinsic to Yew 15 times before getting Minoc/Vesper) and there was a guy at one of them who said "Hey stop". I had already gated, but I held up and he appeared at the next gate. "Are you the infamous Nija?" "Yeah" "You don't look so tough." "Well, let's wander about 20 steps north and we can see who is tough"

At the time I was in FULL GEAR. This was when you stacked clothing to get bonus AR, and I was wearing an incredible ammount of shit. Female leather armor, jester suit, tunic, chainmail, plate, etc. Covered on top with a robe and an apron. I'm sure those who played remembered this ridiculous getup. Anyways, my tool at the time was a .... Shit I forget. The big two handed hammer. Sledge maybe? Big slow thing that hit like a truck.

This guy who was fighting me was a sword/board guy with a viking sword heater shield setup, platemail, obviously a tough guy. I go into attack mode and click him a few times, then toggle out of attack mode so I don't hit him yet. He tears into me, doing hardly any damage, and I tab back to attack mode so it looks like I'm trying to kill him. We circle for about 30 seconds, and he's got me down to about 60% health. In UO pvp terms this was an ETERNITY. "is that all you've got, pussy?"

Drag the sledge to backpack
explosion
drag sledge back to paper doll
double click

Guy goes from 100% health to 10% health in about, oh, 2 seconds. His character SPUN AROUND on the screen as he was trying to figure out which way to run. I tabbed out of combat just to watch him run into trees and underbrush as he sprinted towards the moongate.

There's no need to finish a guy in that situtaion. I'd already looted something much more precious than his belongings, so to speak. Over the years I've had 'better' actual encounters, but that's what started me down PEEKAYER path. Hell, I started as an Anti/policeman type guy in Meridian 59.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:58 PM

Some of my best were in DAoC BG mosh pits, but running the Frontiers to protect/rescue outposts and re-siege them was big time fun.

However.

Some of the large scale battles in early SWG Live were also up there.  The old Bestine vs. AH battles were thrilling.  Honestl.  Ok, I was drunk.  Boba Feet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 12:36:52 PM

My best PvP moment was when we did "PvP training" in beta 3.1 with House Daenyr and split into two groups. I had perfected the overpowered defense build on a crusader, and after the rest of my team had been eliminated (too many fragile casters), I was faced with a five against one smackdown. It took Haemish, Jory and others a full ten minutes to kill me, during which time I killed two of them. In fact, it it hadn't been for Jory's overpowered attack build on his ranger, I'd have had that fight.

Damn, I totally forgot about the PVP training. Good times.

waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 12:39:44 PM

I agree with Haemish. SB was probably the best back in the beta days when battles were epic, spies were everywhere, and you didn't feel like quitting the game if your city got burned down.

DAOC PVP was pretty fun too, but the PVE grind sucked.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:01 PM

Pinnacle: Old school UO, ive rattled on about this enough in past threads. Lets just say there is no substitute, at least hasnt been one yet.

Excellent experiences: Neocron outpost battles. Yeah the game had its problems, but when you had a 10 on 10 fight it that game, it was war. No instant heals, the PSI monks had to 'start heals' and use their deflectors and shelters well. All the while nuking the piss out of other targets. Neocron 1 vrs 1 field PVP was hot too, you could actually lose something or gain items if you won. Neat concept. Strange that I find the best PVP involves risk...go figure...Maybe because there is something actually at stake, that you worked for? You could actually gain something? We'll have to look into the concepts more someday. ;)

I have talked about Neocron before, and completely concur with Slayer.  Especially on the Hardcore server; a persons actions would follow him (good or bad) from beyond the shortterm.  Outpost battles were great, and the reputation system was the bees knees.  I recently went back (I think I posted about it) and was completely sickened by the changes to what made the game great.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:10 PM

UO was best for me because I felt like I had a chance at PvP in that game.  Items didn't matter as much, it just took time at actually fighting to get good.  You had to get past the jitters you'd get when indecision hit in a tough spot.  Eventually, you got to a point where you felt confident and could go into your typical attacks or defenses depending on the situation.  You could surprise your opponent with a unique attack combo or be surprised by one.  I always learned something new.

I had a few good experiences in SB in large scale battles, but too often I was at the raw end of a gank while trying to level.  Cockblock of 60 levels of crappy PvE just to compete was just assinine.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 01:05:39 PM

I agree with Haemish. SB was probably the best back in the beta days when battles were epic, spies were everywhere, and you didn't feel like quitting the game if your city got burned down.

That's it exactly. Zisa Peen used to have a chubby for attacking our city in the middle of the night. We'd often log on and find a smoking pile of ruins on one side of the city or another (there were no silly rules to discourage "ninja raids" nor was there a need for any), and it would take just a couple of us a few minutes of hunting in the bog to get enough loot to rebuild and level everything back up again (especially if uber-wizard Rhuaglar was one of the gold farmers). Unfortunately Wolfpack gave in to the people who demanded to be able to "win the game" and decided that it should take longer to level up buldings and much much longer to farm loot. The game was reduced to one where the catasses who could PvE grind the longest had the greatest ability to wage war. The "winners" of Shadowbane in release were those with a stupidly high boredom threshold.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 01:17:01 PM

Or the discipline to herd everyone into AFK macro leveling groups.

waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 01:25:56 PM

I ended up in my fair share of those. ACtool-4tw!

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 02:44:14 PM

UO and I have to give props to WOW for at least providing a better random feel to PvP.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 02:46:01 PM

Mine was in Star Wars Galaxies. I think that says enough about PvP in MMOGs.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 06:24:57 PM

Another vote for 2004-era SWG city vs city wars.

EQ1 guild vs guild PvE was also a kind of good PvP. Nothing quite as evil as steamrolling some other guild's raid and taking loot that won't be back for a week.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 06:57:56 PM

The big, even fights of zerg vs. zerg vs. zerg in DAoC.  Field littered with the dead,  all screaming for rezzes, lines of opposing players all trying to get back mana for another rezz/heal/nuke.  8-mans crashing in to lead a rush and drive back the opposing side.

Whichever realm weakest playing the spoiler.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 08:31:01 PM

Or knowing one of the million dupe bugs that where in that game.  Everytime i read stuff like this i keep thinking "huh, people farmed?", there was always someone around with billions of gold.

I am the .00000001428%
Flood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 10:38:47 PM

Year one of Asheron's Call. 

My best friend and I bought copies together on release day.  We were roomates, and played over a mini-lan.  We started toons on Darktide, the one and only PvP server, which just so happened to be FFA. (Commonly referred to as "the red server" dun dun dun!) 

So began ye great olde time of horrible death by a (flaming) cestus weilding maniac(s), mages wearing full length robes with bastinet style helms on their heads and carrying crossbows, and being scared to go into town but you MUST BUY A SACK.  Yes, having a "mule" was literally having a level 3 dude named Dumpster that would log on/off at coords X,Y east asscrack to pickup your Santa-style sacks of lewt in relative safety.  I didn't mind the cross country running though since I had a 327 Run Skill. 

Le sigh, those were the days.

P.S. - Being able to punk your friends at any time for comedic reasons: WIN.

Greet what arrives, escort what leaves, and rush in upon loss of contact
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your "Best MMO PvP experience" so far.  
Jump to: