Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Reality TV goes wrong? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reality TV goes wrong?  (Read 3271 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: June 17, 2004, 01:28:50 AM

Terrible TV or pure genius, you decide.  (Well the mrs liks it, shoot me)

UK Big Brother 5 is 21 days in, after disappointing rating last year they have decided to do "evil big brother" (tm) combined with an unusual mix of housemates.

Out of the original 12 housemates we have

1 Female housemate who used to be a male
2 gay male housemates
1 bisexual male housemate
2 bisexual female housemates
1 Lesbian housemate (evited)

If that was not a strange enough mix, last week the most unpopular housemate was up for eviction with the 2 bisexual girls.  Just before eviction Big Brother declares that 2 people are going.  Then to everyones further shock both girls are evicted.

However unknown to the other housemates the 2 girls are moved to a bedsit hidden within the Big Brother house and for 5 days watch every word and dirty deed inside the house via a plasma screen.

The normal kind of bickering and backstabbing goes on, all revealed to the 2 fake evicties.  Words like stupid, racist, boring are used to describe them.

Last night both girls made a surprise reentry into the house during a party with lots of alcohol.  Their game plan was to pretend they knew nothing, you can see how long that lasted below.

Results are here and here.

Video Clip including the scary phrase, "Don't mess, I'm from Oldham!".
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 03:52:31 AM

Gone wrong? That's actually hella funny! Best thing to do with the degenerates that actually apply as candidate for Big Brother!

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 06:50:05 AM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker
Terrible TV or pure genius, you decide.  (Well the mrs liks it, shoot me)

Reality TV is all about spectacle. Always has been. I fail to see how this is any different.

The entire genre quickly lost its main appeal, and a huge part of its original premise....featuring "normal" people who didn't have to look like TV stars or know someone in the business to get on the air. Aside from "the Swan" or "Average Joe" that has been dumped in favor of putting pretty people on TV, many of whom are aspiring actors.

At this point, I just want Reality TV to die a quick death.....we've suffered long enough.

That being said...one show to watch for "train wreck" appeal is probably Cheaters....it comes on here as an insomniac special at like 5am on Saturdays. Folks send PIs to do surveillance on their significant others, to catch them in the act of cheating. Once they have tons of evidence, they show it to the client, while simultaneously tracking the cheater with the 3rd party....then they take the client to the cheater for an ambush confrontation. It often results in either an altercation, or some truly hilarious bullshit denials. I imagine this reality show will be the first to result in a murder.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 06:59:40 AM

Cheaters is on Sky TV on the Reality TV Channel at 8pm each day in the UK.  Mrs watches that too, she kids me she likes the oily presenter with the spray canned black hair, tommy something?.  Truly terrible tv.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 07:48:54 AM

Quote from: Arthur_Parker
...the Reality TV Channel...

That's a sign of the apocalypse.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 09:20:31 AM

I really think that it is impossible for me to care any less than I do. Goddamn I hate 'reality' TV. It may not be scripted, but it is no closer to reality than your basic whacky sit-com.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 09:27:34 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Reality TV is all about spectacle.

Last night on "Last Comic Standing", they had the final selection to make the group of 10 comics that would go into the house. They had 4 celebrity judges: Drew Carrey, Brett Butler, Anthony Clark, and someone named Tess who was on last years show. After the 10 were selected, both Drew and Brett had stunned looks on their faces. Brett stormed off while the show was still on. I personally didn't think the 10 were the funniest but I figured that those comics didn't appeal to my sense of humor. Turns out they most of the people selected were not picked by Drew and Brett. Drew went backstage and told the producer that this was bullshit. The producer had to explain that the selection was done by the celebrity comics, the producers, and NBC executives. Looks like they didn't just want the 10 funniest people, but the 10 funniest people who could also cause the most drama.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 09:54:18 AM

So we won't be laughing with them, we'll be laughing at them.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 10:10:40 AM

I was wondering what the fuck the brits in one of my IRC channels were babbling about.

[20:34] * Craig points and laughs
[20:41] <@Craig> HOLY SHIT
[20:41] <@Craig> BIG BROTHER HAS JUST EXPLODED
[20:41] <@Craig> EVERYONE IS SHOUTING
[20:41] <@Craig> PHYSICAL VIOLENCE!
[20:41] <@Azhrarn> ?
[20:42] <@Craig> something just smashed
[20:42] <@Craig> they have ALL just lost it
[20:43] <@Craig> someones strangling someone else
[20:43] <+Mike> sounds like everyday at my house
[20:43] <+n1vek> lol what channel?
[20:44] <+[OPA]Jip> ordinary family life?
[20:44] <@Craig> 4
[20:44] <@Craig> it was on TV
[20:44] <@Craig> and i wasnt watching
[20:44] <+[OPA]Jip> ahh
[20:44] <@Craig> but i just heard shouting behind me
[20:44] <@Craig> and was like
[20:44] <@Craig> WTF?!?! :/
[20:45] <@Craig> "i've calmed down.. NOW LET ME GO BACK IN THRE AND TWAT HIM ONE" :p
[20:46] <@Craig> some dude in the house was threatening someone with a knife ;p
[20:46] <+n1vek> sweetness
[20:46] <+[OPA]Jip> they love eachother no doubt
[20:47] <@Craig> indeed :p
[20:47] <@Craig> they had to carry one of the girls off, and hold a dude in a headlock to sort that shit out :p
[20:47] <@Craig> but i can see someone being kicked out right now :p
[20:48] <@Craig> i wouldnt be surprised if there are police / security waiting at the door
[20:49] <+[OPA]Jip> *rollseyes*
[20:50] <Elf-DE> [01:48] <Craig> i wouldnt be surprised if there are police / security waiting at the door <---- nothing will happen till their is actual contact
[20:50] <Elf-DE> its all for rateing
[20:50] <@Craig> Elf-DE: afaik, there was :/
[20:50] <Elf-DE> wtf happened :P
[20:50] <@Craig> i dunno
[20:50] <@Craig> it just exploded
[20:51] <@Craig> LOADS of shit smashed
[20:51] <@Craig> the house is a mess
[20:51] <@Craig> someone just said "I dont want too, cause he will hit me again"
(babbling in british)
[21:05] <@Craig> they have cut all cameras
[21:05] <@Craig> ITS THE HOSE AGAIN!
[21:07] <@Craig> someone who wasnt involved was sick :p
[21:09] <Elf-DE> shes just crying, she'll get over it
[21:09] <@Craig> THERE STILL SHOWING THE HOSE! :/
[21:11] <@Craig> there is a chance that it will kick off again
[21:11] <@Craig> as soon as vic leaves the room :/
[21:11] <@Craig> there could be a remote chance of bb being canceled cause of this
[21:11] <@Craig> the house is wrecked
[21:12] <@Craig> theres £100s worth of damage

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:18:55 AM

Quote from: Azhrarn
I was wondering what the fuck the brits in one of my IRC channels were babbling about.

[20:34] * Craig points and laughs
[20:41] <@Craig> HOLY SHIT
[20:41] <@Craig> BIG BROTHER HAS JUST EXPLODED
[20:41] <@Craig> EVERYONE IS SHOUTING
[20:41] <@Craig> PHYSICAL VIOLENCE!
[20:41] <@Azhrarn> ?
[20:42] <@Craig> something just smashed
[20:42] <@Craig> they have ALL just lost it
[20:43] <@Craig> someones strangling someone else
[20:43] <+Mike> sounds like everyday at my house
[20:43] <+n1vek> lol what channel?
[20:44] <+[OPA]Jip> ordinary family life?
[20:44] <@Craig> 4
[20:44] <@Craig> it was on TV
[20:44] <@Craig> and i wasnt watching
[20:44] <+[OPA]Jip> ahh
[20:44] <@Craig> but i just heard shouting behind me
[20:44] <@Craig> and was like
[20:44] <@Craig> WTF?!?! :/
[20:45] <@Craig> "i've calmed down.. NOW LET ME GO BACK IN THRE AND TWAT HIM ONE" :p
[20:46] <@Craig> some dude in the house was threatening someone with a knife ;p
[20:46] <+n1vek> sweetness
[20:46] <+[OPA]Jip> they love eachother no doubt
[20:47] <@Craig> indeed :p
[20:47] <@Craig> they had to carry one of the girls off, and hold a dude in a headlock to sort that shit out :p
[20:47] <@Craig> but i can see someone being kicked out right now :p
[20:48] <@Craig> i wouldnt be surprised if there are police / security waiting at the door
[20:49] <+[OPA]Jip> *rollseyes*
[20:50] <Elf-DE> [01:48] <Craig> i wouldnt be surprised if there are police / security waiting at the door <---- nothing will happen till their is actual contact
[20:50] <Elf-DE> its all for rateing
[20:50] <@Craig> Elf-DE: afaik, there was :/
[20:50] <Elf-DE> wtf happened :P
[20:50] <@Craig> i dunno
[20:50] <@Craig> it just exploded
[20:51] <@Craig> LOADS of shit smashed
[20:51] <@Craig> the house is a mess
[20:51] <@Craig> someone just said "I dont want too, cause he will hit me again"
(babbling in british)
[21:05] <@Craig> they have cut all cameras
[21:05] <@Craig> ITS THE HOSE AGAIN!
[21:07] <@Craig> someone who wasnt involved was sick :p
[21:09] <Elf-DE> shes just crying, she'll get over it
[21:09] <@Craig> THERE STILL SHOWING THE HOSE! :/
[21:11] <@Craig> there is a chance that it will kick off again
[21:11] <@Craig> as soon as vic leaves the room :/
[21:11] <@Craig> there could be a remote chance of bb being canceled cause of this
[21:11] <@Craig> the house is wrecked
[21:12] <@Craig> theres £100s worth of damage

Made bigger for people who are not 20/.000001 vision.
Rof
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 10:46:41 AM

The first and last good reality TV show was "Now Get Out of That". (Only Brits will know what I'm talking about, and probably not most of the them).

The entire genre quickly lost its main appeal, and a huge part of its original premise....featuring "normal" people who didn't have to look like TV stars or know someone in the business to get on the air.

I think the real main premise was that TV channels were facing a screenwriter's strike, and had to invent something that didn't require a script.

Formerly known as Ellenrof
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:42:21 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance

That being said...one show to watch for "train wreck" appeal is probably Cheaters....it comes on here as an insomniac special at like 5am on Saturdays. Folks send PIs to do surveillance on their significant others, to catch them in the act of cheating. Once they have tons of evidence, they show it to the client, while simultaneously tracking the cheater with the 3rd party....then they take the client to the cheater for an ambush confrontation. It often results in either an altercation, or some truly hilarious bullshit denials. I imagine this reality show will be the first to result in a murder.

Either that or Gus Petch will have to nail his ass.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Reality TV goes wrong?  
Jump to: