Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:00:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: X-Men III - Spoiler free no longer! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-Men III - Spoiler free no longer!  (Read 18841 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 11:48:28 PM

Eh, it was worth the price of two tickets. The entirety of the bridge was dumb, and so was the mutant-wave attack. Other than that it was okay.

But then again as far as I'm concerned, nothing involving the X-Men exists after they fight Dracula because he uses his vampire powers to make Storm his hot vampire love slave. Or some stupid shit like that. I think it was right around the time she got the mohawk. There was a definite stretch when the book was worth reading, and 100% of it was before that crap happened.

Pretty much everything after that seems like it's a jumble of shit that's contradicted or invalidated in an infinite number of X-Books so marvel can shovel shit out the door. Any discussion of whether the movie sticks to cannon or not is fucking retarded, because there is no cannon to the X-Anything, and there hasn't been for almost 20 years.

Also, any single episode of X-Men Evolutions was better on every level than all three of the movies put together. It's a bitch the show got cancelled.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 11:51:49 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 12:36:38 AM

Canon is a set of rules or what have you.

Cannon blows you the fuck up.

I want the gulag back.

And I know he wasn't in this one mostly cause of Superman, but I don't give a shit about the actor- I liked Cyclops.  Eyebeams, dude.   Fwoom.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 12:42:57 AM

Cyclops sucks in the comics, movies and cartoon. He's just an twerp with a shitty special power. He's like 1/5th of Superman but he can't control it because he's such a pussy.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 01:39:08 AM

Ratner should not have been allowed near the franchise.

There's a point in the movie where it shifts abruptly to nighttime. Careless, careless.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 04:39:16 AM

I'd agree, but somehow, this film had like the 4th best opening for a film ever ($107 million). And the best opening for Memorial Day weekend. With a prescreened, poorly rated film at that (55% on RT).

schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 04:43:54 AM

It's XMen 3. Everyone who saw the first two went to see it and they brought new friends. Whatever. Does a movie's gross really make any difference in quality whatsoever?

Edit: On that note, I saw the first two when they came out on DVD. I'll probably never see this one. I'm not a big fan of the XMen and as mentioned, Cyclops is a pussy. But I'm also an outlier in any given statistic.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 05:21:30 AM

Does a movie's gross really make any difference in quality whatsoever?

No. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm not a big fan of the XMen and as mentioned, Cyclops is a pussy.

I'm a fan of the X-Men, as far as Stan Lee's general idea goes (i.e. a comic book's take on racism and prejudice, etc.).

I'm not sure why you'd let Cyclops anchor your hate though. He doesn't define the story. Everything is, more or less, about Magneto and Xavier. Those two are the main reasons for loving it or hating it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:35:00 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 30, 2006, 06:53:27 AM

OK, I went to see this last night with my Brother and Wife.

It was shit.  Really, really, really shit.

The direction was abysmal.  The Writing was horrible (story, dialogue, you name it), the acting was phoned in, the overarching theme was miserably presented.  This was a BAD film.

Bad, Bad, Bad.

BAD.

PS - I didn't like it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 07:30:43 AM

I was disappointed he got so little time in 2 or 3.

I think his limited time in 3 was due in large part to spending a lot of time filming Superman Returns.

Good point. :) But at least his whine factor in the movie was down from the print.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: May 30, 2006, 08:43:22 AM

- I'm not a pedofile for thinking Kitty Pryde was cute

I looked it up, because I felt the same way. She's actually 19. Not pedophilia, but damn she's like young and stuff.

And hot.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: May 30, 2006, 08:47:05 AM

I loved it.  There were parts that reeked of "lets make sure thirty different mutants get screen time", but the battles were good and there was just enough philosophical type stuff to make you think without dragging down the movie.

I wish Hollywood didn't have to turn this movie, as it does most, into a thinly veiled vehicle about homosexuality though.  Mutation as gayness was present in the first two movies but all the agonizing about the "cure" was merely the writers trying to be PC enough.  Hey anti-cure dipshits- its easy for you to condemn it when you can set people on fire by looking at them and still go out for a cup of coffee without people running away from you screaming.  Why not give the fur-covered acid-spitting octopi types the option, k?  

Ummm, read the fucking comics. For years, many many years, the X-Men was a metaphor for tolerance of ALL types, but mostly tolerance for racial issues. It was created in the sixties, and was then a very thin analogy for the civil rights movements. Chris Claremont's writing on the book was at times very didactic. But it most often touched on issues of race, with mutation as the stand-in for racial and religious differences. The writers of this movie weren't being coy about homosexuality, but tolerance for difference in general, because that's what the book has ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT.

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 30, 2006, 09:06:25 AM

Did anyone else notice that the boy who was 'the cure' in this movie also played 'the antigen' in Ultraviolet?
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 30, 2006, 11:10:35 AM

I also thought it was less than stellar.  To me if felt like the Wolverine show "Now with more caring!"  I wish they would have stuck with either the Cure or Phoenix storyline, not both.

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 30, 2006, 08:34:08 PM

Yeah either of those could have been a plot in itself. The Phoenix stuff felt tacked on in a way, she didn't really do anything until the last 5 minutes of the movie - kind of a lame secret weapon.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 31, 2006, 02:50:24 PM

This is something ive been curious about since watching the movie.  The psychic mutant chic (callisto?) tells magneto and pyro "nobody here is above a rank 3 except you two", and later on she mentions phoenix is a rank 5, the most powerfull mutant shes ever seen.  Does anyone have any more info the mutant power rankings? if both pyro and magneto are a rank 4 then i would assume every single other main mutant shown in the movie is also a rank 4, maybe with the exception of kitty.  Magneto is way more powerfull than pyro, yet they are both ranked the same for some reason.

I am the .00000001428%
Llava
Contributor

Reply #50 on: May 31, 2006, 04:23:15 PM

The closest thing the comics have to that is the Alpha and Omega Level mutants.  Wikipedia has an article about Omega Level.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 05:03:46 PM

Yeah, the "class" stuff is just a movie thing. It really doesn't make any sense.

Maybe "class" measures your midi-chlorian levels...

In all seriousness, the powers are so diverse you can't compare. Pyro is class 4? One gunshot will kill him and he doesn't have super speed or hearing or anything else that would help him avoid a bullet. Wolverine is class 4? A giant electromagnet can defeat him.

In Uncanny Xmen 201 Storm defeated Cyclops in a 1-on-1 battle when she didn't have any powers. (My first X-Men comic, which is why I remember - I'm not that much of a comic nerd please for the love of god believe me! )

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 31, 2006, 05:41:33 PM

Yeah, the "class" stuff is just a movie thing. It really doesn't make any sense.

Maybe "class" measures your midi-chlorian levels...

In all seriousness, the powers are so diverse you can't compare. Pyro is class 4? One gunshot will kill him and he doesn't have super speed or hearing or anything else that would help him avoid a bullet. Wolverine is class 4? A giant electromagnet can defeat him.

In Uncanny Xmen 201 Storm defeated Cyclops in a 1-on-1 battle when she didn't have any powers. (My first X-Men comic, which is why I remember - I'm not that much of a comic nerd please for the love of god believe me! )

I quite agree.  Been wondering why she was so wimpy in the movies (plural)?  Storm was supposed to be a bridge between planar gods at one point, born with inherent kickass.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 31, 2006, 11:15:59 PM

It is clear to me that she just rated the power level. Which is still as stupid thing to invent for the movie, but slightly less so. It doesn't compare the mutations, just the energy available to power them. Well, ok. Its just as stupid. No excuse there.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:22 PM

There's a point in the movie where it shifts abruptly to nighttime. Careless, careless.

Ya that's true.  I tried to overlook that.

OK, I went to see this last night with my Brother and Wife.

It was shit.  Really, really, really shit.

The direction was abysmal.  The Writing was horrible (story, dialogue, you name it), the acting was phoned in, the overarching theme was miserably presented.  This was a BAD film.

Bad, Bad, Bad.

BAD.

PS - I didn't like it.

What are you trying to say ?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:33:42 PM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 11:32:25 PM

Wolverine is justifiably a "class 4" simply because the dude can not die. Not by conventional means at least.

Yeah, a giant magnet could "defeat" him, but it'd hardly kill him (unless that magnet's name is Magneto). You could hit him with a Mack truck, drag him for 10 miles, shoot him in the head 5 times, stab him 100 times, get a gang of kids to beat him to a bloody pulp with baseball bats, set off a piece of dynamite in his mouth, throw him in a burning skyscraper, have it all collapse on top of him ---- And he'd be alive and well the next the day.

[edit] Holy shit. 5000 posts.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:34:42 PM by Stray »
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 11:38:08 PM

Wolverine is justifiably a "class 4" simply because the dude can not die. Not by conventional means at least.

Yeah, a giant magnet could "defeat" him, but it'd hardly kill him (unless that magnet's name is Magneto). You could hit him with a Mack truck, drag him for 10 miles, shoot him in the head 5 times, stab him 100 times, get a gang of kids to beat to a bloody pulp with baseball bats, set off a piece of dynamite in his mouth, throw him a burning building, have it collapse on top of him ---- And he'd be alive and well the next the day.

[edit] Holy shit. 5000 posts.

Hmm I don't know.  I remember - to my knowledge - the first Wolverine comic miniseries about 25 years ago.  Four issues long - in the end he dueled some old Japanese fella who wielded a bamboo sword.  Wolverine is tough - by like most lore involving regeneration - too much damage is just that - he can only take so much.  In one old X-men issue in some sort of dream - Mystique killed wolverine by getting a clear cut through his throat - his regen could not keep up with blood loss.

I agree with the comment above this film made wolverine a bit of the caring type.  I saw this as a departure from the role he played in the previous 2 films as well.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:03 PM

Hmm I don't know.  I remember - to my knowledge - the first Wolverine comic miniseries about 25 years ago.  Four issues long - in the end he dueled some old Japanese fella who wielded a bamboo sword.  Wolverine is tough - by like most lore involving regeneration - too much damage is just that - he can only take so much.  In one old X-men issue in some sort of dream - Mystique killed wolverine by getting a clear cut through his throat - his regen could not keep up with blood loss.

I agree with the comment above this film made wolverine a bit of the caring type.  I saw this as a departure from the role he played in the previous 2 films as well.

Wolverine's healing powers have flucuated over the years.  I remember when they had the plot thread about the Xavier Protocols going (Xavier had typed up a list of ways to kill each X-man should they ever become a threat), and at that point in time it was noted that in order to kill Wolverine his head would have to be cut off and moved away from the body.

As far as Wolverine turning into a more caring type, I seem to recall it being hinted by Jean Grey that it could have been the result of the Prof. tampering with his mind, which actually isn't too out there given the way Xavier has been characterized in the comics in recent years.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 31, 2006, 11:57:48 PM

Wolverines weakness against giant electromagnets has nothing to do with his mutation. The adamantium is man-made.

If you see it that way every mutant sucks if he wears adamantium underpants.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 02:06:20 AM

Or if those adamantium underpants are inextricably fused to his body.

I can't imagine Wolverine would rate all that high.  He can heal really well, sure, but Magneto could literally destroy the Earth.  Ditto with Jean.  Hell, the second movie had Professor X almost wipe out humanity.  I'll bet Pyro could cause some nifty damage, too.

This arbitrary and baseless classification system has to include raw destructive capability in addition to defensive strength.  I suggest we discuss its nuances over a 4 page debate, ending in a flamewar over which X-Man could kill all the others.  (Nightcrawler, btw.  He can teleport off someone's head.  Win.)

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 01, 2006, 03:03:09 AM

Nightcrawler doesent have to teleport off someones head (doubt he could do that anyhow) all he really has to do is port them INTO a solid object.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 01, 2006, 03:30:56 AM

This can only lead to a Starwars vs Startrek like showdown. My Star destroyer can beat up your Enterprise.

Everybody loses if it comes to that!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #62 on: June 01, 2006, 03:42:14 AM

This arbitrary and baseless classification system has to include raw destructive capability in addition to defensive strength.

Which is why Wolverine would be ranked so high...

No, he doesn't eat worlds for breakfast, but he can shred through just about any individual. Heroes, mutants, and otherwise. He wasn't a goverment 'super soldier' for nothing. And he never really loses. He just keeps on coming back until he wins.

And no, I'm not saying any of this because I *really* like Wolverine. I'm a Professor X and Nightcrawler fan, if anything.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 03:46:00 AM by Stray »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #63 on: June 01, 2006, 03:54:41 AM

Well, having Claws isn't exactly an uber power.  He uses it well, but that Spike dude would be just as well off with some training- and he was, at beast, Class 3 according to Callisto.

(And yes, Nightcrawler can 'port heads off, in addition to various other bodyparts.  He did so in Age of Apocalypse when he was more badass and cruel- to Deadpool, no less, proving that head separation will do the trick in killing those with healing factors.  I like where this thread is going!)

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #64 on: June 01, 2006, 04:07:45 AM

I bet he couldn't rip an adamantium head off. Probably can't even teleport through adamantium walls.  smiley
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 01, 2006, 04:45:04 AM

Something I don't understand about Humans vs Mutants thing (I have not seen the movie, and thought 1 and 2 sucked because I'm on the humans side): Why don't they just fire JDAM's at them from 20km away or something. Seems to work in Iraq (ok ok, this is getting back to Star Destroyers vs the Enterprise USN fleet carrier).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 01, 2006, 05:50:10 AM

My impression on the 'class' bit is that the higher rank the more supernatural power you had - not that such power was destructive ("PvP" or whatever), or even all that useful.  Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into the comics.  The movies are not contiguous with them (not that they are even within themselves), so whatever limits Wolverine (or whoever else) had in the comics doesn't really have much bearing as to how far they want to take it in the movies.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #67 on: June 01, 2006, 06:08:06 AM

thought 1 and 2 sucked because I'm on the humans side

Huh?

So are the X-Men.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: June 01, 2006, 08:33:54 AM

My review

In short, I liked it as much as the other two. I was actually more pleasantly surprised than I thought I would be, because it didn't suck.

As for mutant power levels, Omega class mutants are ELE types, those who could literally cause extinction-level events on planets. Phoenix was easily and Omega level - she caused a sun to go nova once.

Storm has been a wimp in the movies because she has no character. She never has. Removing all the African goddess stuff from her background just made her another mutant, and she was never given any backstory other than she's at some point been hated because she was a mutant. But really, comparing the comics to the movies is a stretch, because the movies have done a good job of establishing their own separate continuity.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 01, 2006, 10:26:26 AM

Halle Berry being terrible doesn't help Storm either.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: X-Men III - Spoiler free no longer!  
Jump to: