Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Old Roleplaying Games ICE MERP, AD&D etc 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Roleplaying Games ICE MERP, AD&D etc  (Read 3430 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: June 16, 2004, 02:30:38 AM

Ebay costs a fortune for old MERP modules etc, I foolishly gave a lot of mine away about 10 years ago.  If anyone is searching for ideas etc for roleplaying campaigns maybe for NWN etc there is a wealth of old out of print material you can obtain via pdf.

linky

Legally I guess you would have to own the orginal source material to use these, the MERP stuff is a grey area as ICE no longer own the rights for Middle Earth so not sure how they could (or would bother) enforcing copyright.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 03:25:58 AM

That link is worth it just for the Dragon Magazine downloads. By worth it I mean 'worth plundering for ideas people won't remember reading.'
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 06:37:56 AM

save your duckets and ebay up as much runequest as you can find. Its AD+D done the right way.

unbannable
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 08:35:10 AM

It's really sad that I have most of that stuff in a box in my attic.

God, I was such a MERP fanbois in my day.
It was just something about the critical tables that did it for me.  The amount of times I got reduced to 'spatula' status.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:03:15 AM

It's not sad it's extremely profitable.  I remember flogging hardback roleplay books for 50p each, dozens of them.  I remember one book (Empire in Flames for WHFRP) that we had at least 6 of, sells for £75 now on ebay.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 09:04:40 AM

I need to dig up my old AD&D books. I have first edition hardbacks of Oriental Adventures, Dieties and Demigods, and a mess of other shit from way before I was even born, somewhere in my parent's attic. It's gotta be worth something now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 09:16:35 AM

When I sold off the bulk of my comic collection to help fund my band's relocation to the west coast, I got a good trade in as well. The guy had all the AD&D 1st edition books out for sale in near mint condition (his name on the inside cover is the only reason they weren't mint), for cover price. I think I traded a Punisher #1 and War Journal #1 for the entire series of hardcovers.

It was pretty cool because my cousins had cut all the pictures out of my illustrated monster manual (I was an art major, hey) and I never bought up the later stuff like the Dungeoneer's Guide, Oriental Adventures, etc. I can also now preserve the DM's Guide with all my juvenile jr high 'enhancements' and use the pristine copy if I run a session (yeah I realize collectors may think that backward, but I'm more of a 'usage' collector).
Dieties and Demigods

I bet if it is the first run with Grey Mouser and Elric and whatnot it'd be worth some dough. My original is the 1st run, but the near mint copy is the second printing.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 01:15:51 PM

Quote from: Ironwood
It's really sad that I have most of that stuff in a box in my attic.

God, I was such a MERP fanbois in my day.
It was just something about the critical tables that did it for me.  The amount of times I got reduced to 'spatula' status.

I bought so many games I never played.  I used to just buy them to see how their systems worked.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 01:44:04 PM

Yep, me too. The hard part was finding folks that would experiment with new rules systems. Mostly I'd just modify the ad&d campaign we were in with some new ideas. The only games I could get my buddies into were Star Frontiers (we really got into that one for a while), Gangbusters, James Bond 007, GURPS, and Toon.

Toon rocked, my first freeformish rpg.

*Sky paints a hole in the floor and jumps in, erasing the hole after he's gone*
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 01:11:14 AM

Quote from: Sky
Yep, me too. The hard part was finding folks that would experiment with new rules systems. Mostly I'd just modify the ad&d campaign we were in with some new ideas. The only games I could get my buddies into were Star Frontiers (we really got into that one for a while), Gangbusters, James Bond 007, GURPS, and Toon.

Toon rocked, my first freeformish rpg.

*Sky paints a hole in the floor and jumps in, erasing the hole after he's gone*

I really liked the Hero System from Champions.  Fantasy Hero worked great, IMO.  However, since it was such an open ended system, it required a fair and vigilant GM or the players could commit all sorts of abuses with character creation/advancement.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 06:18:37 AM

My favorite Avalon Hill RPG rules system, now in web format!

Power and Perils.

If your surfing with I.E. you may want to read this before following the link.
Technical Matters

The Powers and Perils website has been redesigned. Of course now you need a CSS2 compliant browser to enjoy the full capabilities of the site. IE6 will make a mess of this. Get Mozilla for instance to see how this should look. When your browser is fully CSS2 compliant, you can use the menu at the top to reach most pages of this site from the menu.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 06:33:00 AM

Any love for The Fantasy Trip?

Bruce
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 07:21:08 AM

Forgot to mention Villians and Vigilantes, for the old-school tights action.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Old Roleplaying Games ICE MERP, AD&D etc  
Jump to: