Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Le parkour or spiderman and a ninja have a spetsnaz son 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Le parkour or spiderman and a ninja have a spetsnaz son  (Read 5472 times)
Catalan
Terracotta Army

on: May 22, 2006, 11:58:30 AM

I declare this to be a great video. Le awesome starts really around 2 minutes into it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQNt64PxfE

I'm glad I'm 31 and fat instead of 12, otherwise this video would cost me a broken neck.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:30:32 PM

Yep, I would have killed myself. i'm surprised that kid didn't, those jumps from building to building heh wow. He's got to have hurt himself, a lot. One wrong fall...

Also, belongs in the useless videos thread in useless news ;)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:36:59 PM

After seeing some of these I ended up buying this movie: Banlieue 13 (pretty good, I think - for a French movie)

One of the main characters is the guy who started all this Parkour stuff. There's a clip of the movie here.

Edit:

I can't wait until they start teaching this stuff in the military!!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:44:02 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38:01 PM

I can't wait until they start teaching this stuff in the military!!!!

Whose to say that they don't....

And people say gymnastics is gay.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:49:09 PM

I haven't heard of any US military training like that. Maybe the frenchies do ballet instead of weapons training?

And yes, gymnastics is still gay.  tongue

- Viin
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:48:36 PM

If you want more of the same, search for "parkour", "free running" and "urban freeflow". It's part gymnastic, part art-form. As for military links, the name comes from parcours de combattant, or military obstacle course. That's where its heritage lies.

The promo from the Beeb that blew it open:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1867308191445087595

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 08:04:06 AM

That promo has too many cuts, it almost seems not real, it's MUCH MUCH more amazing in the previous video when you get to see it all, done stunt(?) after stunt after stunt..
Catalan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:22:55 AM

This commercial is nice too knowing that he can pull the stunts for real (this David Belle guy seems to have started this thing himself):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7834855742079548500&q=parkour+commercial

but yes, the raw feeling of the other vid is hard to beat. Must be the soviet ruins.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:41:49 AM by Catalan »
Strazos

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 09:42:32 AM

Just Nuts.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 10:04:00 AM

That promo has too many cuts, it almost seems not real, it's MUCH MUCH more amazing in the previous video when you get to see it all, done stunt(?) after stunt after stunt..

It's not the best, it's just what turned it from being a couple of guys in France into a huge craze. The best movies are on the Urban Freeflow site.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 12:05:02 PM

I haven't heard of any US military training like that. Maybe the frenchies do ballet instead of weapons training?

And yes, gymnastics is still gay.  tongue

Dude Mitch Gaylord is not Gay! American Anthem rocks! Best movie ever!
 wink

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:34 PM

Gymkata, bitches.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 01:09:23 PM

Yikes!  Those films look terrible!  I'm really, Really, REALLY hoping you're being UNserious about them.   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 03:07:17 PM

If you want more of the same, search for "parkour", "free running" and "urban freeflow". It's part gymnastic, part art-form. As for military links, the name comes from parcours de combattant, or military obstacle course. That's where its heritage lies.
Or you can watch an old Jackie Chan movie from the 80s to the early 90s.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 04:02:25 PM

Gymkata, bitches.

Oh hell yeah! Preach it brother!

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 05:46:06 PM

Seen many of those, but I'd rather just watch Monkey again. It doesn't seem like it made it in America. Another reason for a region-free player.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 06:17:08 PM

Jackie Chan has been so upstaged.

And to go even more off topic: Rodney Mullen  cool
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 07:07:01 PM

That skateboarding guy is crazy.

- Viin
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 09:17:41 PM

This guy is just as great. But in a different way. Nothing gets in his way.

And another for you Rush fans.  smiley
Strazos

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 09:25:45 PM

Yeah, that guy pwns Chan...also Jet Li. The delayed pop in his aerial kicks was especially impressive.

Also, Rodney Mullen > Jamie Thomas for me...Jamie Thomas has balls to do the stuff he does, but Mullen does a lot more highly technical tricks in succession. A lot of people do long jumps...but who does the stuff Mullen does? Still both cool though.

Aside: The Yogurting video on the front page...is the game like, an anime schoolboy/girl game with auto-attack? The videos are just really trippy...

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:58 PM

I think I like Thomas as much because I tried to skate that way myself (err....not as successfully, of course). Big gaps, fast speed, etc.. I was never too good at flips and lip tricks, but I was crazy. And for that, I lost my 4 front teeth  :-D.

Rodney Mullen is the man though.

The Muay Thai guy is Tony Jaa (though he's pretty much taken Muay Thai to another level). Check his stuff out if you haven't (Ong Bak is easy enough to find at least).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:27:20 PM

Y'know...After watching all of these videos, I'm thinking that with enough training (and a good tailor) it just might be possible to be a real life superhero.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 01:09:01 AM

Gymkata, bitches.

"Through analysis of thousands of recorded gymfights, the Gymnast has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gym battle is a statistically-predictable element. The Gym Kata treats the gym as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents, while keeping the defender clear of the statistically-traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increased lethal proficiency makes the master of the Gym Katas an adversary not to be taken lightly."

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 08:27:57 AM

Seen many of those, but I'd rather just watch Monkey again. It doesn't seem like it made it in America. Another reason for a region-free player.

Monkey is on one of my sattelite channels (forget which one) and it's the biz.  However, I made the mistake of tuning into the movie channel the other day and catching a two part tv movie remake of it.

DIRE.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 02:43:30 PM

Beeb article about Parkour witha few nice pictures, presumably inspired by its inclusion in the upcoming Bond flick:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4954812.stm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Le parkour or spiderman and a ninja have a spetsnaz son  
Jump to: