Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of  (Read 41151 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2006, 03:28:55 PM

You are right, but it also didnt offer the choices a modern RPG or MMO does either did it? Basically all you needed was up, down, left, right, attack, jump, and a basic inventory.

You couldn't even get the Zelda mechanics right in the first place, and you're still talking about what they are or are not. Play some of these games and experiment with consoles before you talk first.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006, 03:35:32 PM

What are you talking about? MMORPGs today only give you two choices. Walk and attack. Sure the particle effects and numbers are different, but it's all the same shit. Maybe five years ago I'd have been inclined to agree with you on the "choices" involved with playing an MMORPG. There's aren't choices. There's verious flavors of a single option. Now that I'm a higher level, I'll press the button for the higher level attack of the same thing I had at level 1. WEEEEEEEEEE FUN.

Hmmm thats strange because I know in WOW my tank had like a minimum of 8 different attacks he could use at lvl 60 depending on circumstances. And pressing one key for each, or clicking with a mouse on a hotbar is infinitely easier than trying to pull off combos with a controller while tanking Nef.

Plus he normally carried about 10 or more potions on him at any point. All of these were hot keyed as well so I could instantly use them without opening a bag.  Just two examples. Not even mentioning the nestled menu's like quest logs and talent trees and reputation and skills and on and on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 03:42:37 PM by Broughden »

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2006, 03:37:30 PM

You are right, but it also didnt offer the choices a modern RPG or MMO does either did it? Basically all you needed was up, down, left, right, attack, jump, and a basic inventory.

You couldn't even get the Zelda mechanics right in the first place, and you're still talking about what they are or are not. Play some of these games and experiment with consoles before you talk first.
I have played Zelda, it was 50 million years ago on a N64. Sorry I dont remember it exactly. The point still stands it is not as complicated as many of today's RPGs and MMOs are.
Are you seriously trying to compare Zelda and a modern MMO like WOW in their ability to be ported to a console?

Why are you even arguing when you already admitted that it isnt feasible?

Quote from: stray
Yes, as MMO requirements stand right now, migrating away from Mouse + Keyboard is a bad idea. I'm with you on that.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2006, 03:42:54 PM

No one is saying WoW should be ported to a console. AT ALL. No one wants that. There's a handful of people here, Stray and myself among them, that can't see the differences in PC Based Diku-Derivative MMOGs anymore. They ALL might as well be the exact same game. They aren't fun. They don't provide fun. Those 8 "attacks" your warrior has all look like the exact same attack to us. It's one of the reasons I've all but stopped writing about MMOGs. I haven't seen compelling gameplay in one since Tele-Arena back in the day. You know what MMOGs I'm looking forward to most are? Smash Star, Soccer Fury, and Age of Conan. At no point in any of the videos or gameplay we saw did anything look diku-based. Except for some inventory bits in Conan, but it's an alpha, so I'll let that go... for now. Point being, you can't convince us of your point because you aren't even arguing the right point. No shit MMORPGs are made for keyboards and mice. Most of the developers also probably drool while they eat. Invention isn't their strong suit and none of their games would translate very well to consoles (with the exception of the 3 mentioned above).

And no, we weren't comparing Zelda and WoW. But if you want us too, a persistant zelda would be about 10,000 times more fun than WoW.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2006, 03:53:03 PM

Well Schild Im sorry you have grown so jaded toward a field you formerly and obviously very much enjoyed.  :-(

I agree with you on AoC though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: May 20, 2006, 04:53:21 PM

That word, jaded, does not mean what you think it means.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 20, 2006, 04:59:43 PM

That word, jaded, does not mean what you think it means.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jaded
Cynically or pretentiously callous.
To wear out, as by overuse or overindulgence.
Dulled by surfeit.

Thats what I thought it meant, and it seems my thoughts were correct.

schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: May 20, 2006, 05:18:55 PM

You weren't arguing a point from a jaded perspective though. According to what you said your point was that MMORPGs would not work with a controller and that the variety of MMORPGs doesn't translate to consoles. I called bullshit. Your point wasn't jaded, at best it was an uneducated naive point coming from someone who still has lots of love for the genre and no understand of console play. You weren't cynical. You weren't callous. And you most certainly are not jaded.

Hmmm thats strange because I know in WOW my tank had like a minimum of 8 different attacks he could use at lvl 60 depending on circumstances
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #43 on: May 20, 2006, 05:34:31 PM

I can't even jump in WoW.

No, I mean really jump. Like, out of the way and stuff. Hell, even moving is just an illusory, superficial mechanic in many cases.

This is probably beside the point though.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #44 on: May 20, 2006, 09:01:49 PM

Yer, so about Conan...

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 20, 2006, 09:15:04 PM

Yer, so about Conan...

Please stay on topic, this thread is for discussing SWG:NGE2.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 09:27:21 PM

Yer, so about Conan...

This thread has been struggling to be about Conan since the first reply...

Probably because there's already another Conan thread.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #47 on: May 20, 2006, 09:39:57 PM

lol

Ok, having seen the videos, firstly i loved the fact that the dev you guys spoke with sounds like Ahnold. Adds flavour. Furthermore, i thought the horse looked quite good, especially during the cantering animations.

What i wanted to know though, was; did they say anything about the collision detection in combat? Because while the combat animations looked quite good in the short vid, it felt as if there was a good deal of 'through-character' slippage. I'd hate for them to do so much work on immersion to have it ruined by something as small as this.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #48 on: May 20, 2006, 10:10:13 PM

There is supposed to be per-character collision detection in order to make their 'formation system' meaningful. I don't think actual weapons will truly appropriately not clip through enemy models though.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 20, 2006, 10:48:07 PM

You weren't arguing a point from a jaded perspective though. According to what you said your point was that MMORPGs would not work with a controller and that the variety of MMORPGs doesn't translate to consoles. I called bullshit. Your point wasn't jaded, at best it was an uneducated naive point coming from someone who still has lots of love for the genre and no understand of console play. You weren't cynical. You weren't callous. And you most certainly are not jaded.

Schild,

I dont know if you didnt get your nappy time today or why you happen to be pissy.

But let me lay something out here for you bro. I never said I was jaded.
I said YOU were jaded. Here let me quote my own sentence again and you can try rereading it....

Well Schild Im sorry you have grown so jaded toward a field you formerly and obviously very much enjoyed.
Jesus bro get a fucking grip. Or stop posting drunk.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 20, 2006, 10:56:10 PM

I'm not sure why I read that the wrong way. But I'm not sure I'd call myself jaded either. There's nothing jaded about what I said. I just want you know, something better. And yea, I read that jaded post after I woke up :P. Whoops. I still love MMOGs. Or the IDEA of them at least. Just not how they're presented by the current chuckleheads.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 22, 2006, 08:47:34 AM

How long before they evolve it off of the PC entirely and onto consoles in order to take advantage of the controller? Prince of Persia Online in 2008 anyone?

Hopefully never. Controllers suck. KB + Mouse FTW.

WTf would the advantages be anyway, besides playing from your couch (which I don't consider an advantage anyway)?

Screw the console, I've got a PC plugged into my 60" in the basement. It holds my DVD's / DVD player and it is a really freaking huge monitor for gaming.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #52 on: May 22, 2006, 09:05:00 AM

Consoles are basically a PC's autistic little brother. The things that he is good at, he's really good at. The others......

I like playing sports and fighting games as much as the next guy, but I watched Battlefield 2 on XBox and I about laughed my ass off. This weekend I had a LAN party and the same guys that were playing the XBox version could not believe how much more in depth the PC version was. Same for most games. Consoles have their uses, but at this point the PC is more versatile and better at the things I like to do. But I'm not a hater like that other guy :D

Also, back on the MMO subject. I keep hearing this WoW wasnt fun shit. It was fun for a while. It was an artistic world, with some watered down PVP, and solid content. It wasnt exactly auto-attack. Range was a key factor in the fights, and player skill did play a role...especially in group combat.  I believe its real downfall, for me, was the shit honor system. The end of town raids. The funny thing is, once again some twat complains that "i cant get my quests done the evil hordies took over darkshire" then are a part of a huge noob counterattack eventually running off the enemies. 6 months pass, and he still remembers that experience...and misses that kinda of shit. Maybe he shouldnt have been one of the little girls complaining on the O-boards.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of  
Jump to: