Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of  (Read 41147 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

on: May 18, 2006, 08:48:27 PM

WTS 1x [Eye of Argon] PST

Edit: We also had one more video that didn't make the final cut for the article itself. And several other really hideous videos that are too terrible to post and mostly retread the other videos' ground.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 08:50:26 PM by Yoru »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:29:50 PM

Ha! You did use the press kit screenshots :-D
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 10:38:42 PM

When's this coming out again?  I may be tempted to give it a whirl.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:41:36 PM

When is the game due for release?

We do not have a set release date yet but we are currently planning for release in 2006

Probably Fall of 2007
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:41:59 PM

Well it was May 2006 but that's obviously not going to happen. Latest in their FAQ is "We do not have a set release date yet but we are currently planning for release in 2006".

Edit: oooh I saw that ninja edit!
Yoru

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 11:03:56 PM

Ha! You did use the press kit screenshots :-D

There was too much glare in ours. :(

When's this coming out again?  I may be tempted to give it a whirl.

Scuttlebutt is Q4 2006. I'm guessing Q2 2007 unless they get a beta going by July.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 11:18:24 PM

Edit: oooh I saw that ninja edit!

Heh, I was hoping you didn't. Now you know my dirty little secret (I suck at tags).
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:28:03 AM

First off good article, thanks! Definitely liking the direction this game is headed thus far.

Secondly. Anyway to do a sound edit on the character creation video? It sounds like a hurricane or tornado is going on in the background and I cant hear the actual voices.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:03:48 AM

Reading about the online part of this game it sounds fairly limited though kind of neat.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yoru

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:33:22 AM

First off good article, thanks! Definitely liking the direction this game is headed thus far.

Secondly. Anyway to do a sound edit on the character creation video? It sounds like a hurricane or tornado is going on in the background and I cant hear the actual voices.

Not easily. That'd be one for Ookii or Schild, I don't have video editing software at the moment. And that sound in the background? That's what it sounds like at E3. All. The. Time.

The #1 phrase at E3 is "What?"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 11:56:58 AM

The single-player first meme just might become the norm. I was skeptical at first, but it could be a good way to ease people into the gameplay. Also, it might help initial box sales because it should tap the non-MMO gamer just looking for some Conan action.

I have never played WoW.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 12:42:05 PM

The single-player first meme just might become the norm. I was skeptical at first, but it could be a good way to ease people into the gameplay. Also, it might help initial box sales because it should tap the non-MMO gamer just looking for some Conan action.

Bingo.

It's a brilliant move on their part and if it works even slightly well expect to see big names like Blizzard and SOE jump on it for their next MMOGs. On the plus side, it looks like more developers are finally working toward active combat instead of auto attack setups. How long before they evolve it off of the PC entirely and onto consoles in order to take advantage of the controller? Prince of Persia Online in 2008 anyone?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 01:14:17 PM

Not easily. That'd be one for Ookii or Schild, I don't have video editing software at the moment. And that sound in the background? That's what it sounds like at E3. All. The. Time.

F34R the white noise of nerds!  smiley

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:10:44 PM

How long before they evolve it off of the PC entirely and onto consoles in order to take advantage of the controller? Prince of Persia Online in 2008 anyone?

Hopefully never. Controllers suck. KB + Mouse FTW.

WTf would the advantages be anyway, besides playing from your couch (which I don't consider an advantage anyway)?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:02 PM

Hopefully never. Controllers suck. KB + Mouse FTW.

Perhaps one day you'll understand what it means to use the "right tool for the job". I mean, why would someone want to try to delicately juke with a keyboard and mouse in a hockey or football game, or not have their buttons and controls within close proximity of each other in an platformer game that requires rapid movement and actions (not to mention in a more relaxed, ergonomical state)? Why the FUCK would I want to use a keyboard and mouse in Soul Calibur?

All of these examples demonstrate the kind of action that mmo's could evolve to, but it'd never work if people insist on a mouse and keyboard for their input devices. Not everything is Baldur's Gate or an FPS.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:19:12 PM by Stray »
Strazos

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 11:24:26 PM

It's really a question of anatomy. Why would I want to use my thumbs, which are only good for gross movement, for something that requires a high degree of accuracy?

Mashing a button? That's good for a thumb?

Making delicate movements that require pin-point accuracy, like a good shooter? Let me use my whole hand, which has many mroe muscles than a thumb and is infinitely more accurate and percise.

A "Juke" is not a delicate movement - you mash a button for it.

Yes, for a sports or fighting game, perhaps a controller is better, where most of the action is done through mashing one button or another.

Some games are perfectly fine with a controller. Other games, such as strategy or FPSs, are an abomination on a console.

"Right tool for the job," indeed.

Oh, and ergonomical? You're telling me people who slouch on their couch on ergonomical?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 11:58:12 PM

Maybe in Techmo Bowl or Blades of Steel it is. Back in 1988.

A juke is usually handled by holding a button + directional spinning.

Yes, for a sports or fighting game, perhaps a controller is better, where most of the action is done through mashing one button or another.

Most actions are handled in a much more fluid, organic manner. And when there is button pushing, it's rarely "mashing". Degree/length of pressure is the difference between a bunk pass or shot and a good one. Making a freethrow in basketball could be a matter of lining up two boxes on the screen with both analog sticks. Swinging a jab in Fight Night is a matter of flicking the analog stick in a straight motion, a hook in an arc motion, an uppercut in a round motion, etc.. Wrestling and grappling games have similar schemes. And you'll never, ever get by mashing buttons in Soul Calibur (unless you're playing someone as clueless as you).
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 12:21:49 AM

Stop being a fucking hater, Strazos. People who play sports games on computers are crazy. Really people who play anything that isn't mouse/keyboard intensive or an FPS on a computer is crazy. But then, there are times where a mouse seems better for a job. But for the most part, no, it's less fun and more work-like.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 02:19:30 AM

Really people who play anything that isn't mouse/keyboard intensive or an FPS on a computer is crazy.

I'd rather program a macro into my key board and hit one key to execute it, than trying to hit "A+B+UP+RIGHT+A+A+C+DOWN+UP+A+B+B" all with in 2 secs in order to execute some special move.
Its why I have never gotten into console games.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 02:42:35 AM

PROTIP: Don't play fighting games.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 04:35:40 AM

Of all the subjects one could get irritated about, I happened to choose this one...

Something about the idea of a "gamer" who doesn't like consoles just confuses the hell out of me. I'd attribute it to geezerhood and too much grid based war gaming, but Strazos is younger than I am...So wtf?
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 04:37:52 AM

He's eritist.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 04:57:56 AM

Something about the idea of a "gamer" who doesn't like consoles just confuses the hell out of me. I'd attribute it to geezerhood and too much grid based war gaming, but Strazos is younger than I am...So wtf?

Well I cant answer for Strazos, but as for myself...

I am a geezer compared to most of you.
I dont play sports on TV with a Console. If I want to play football I join our groups football team, we also do rugby and 2 man sand volleyball. ie I play outside in the dirt.
I hate anime, so I dont play FF rpgs.
I play MMOs and RPGs and sometimes strat or FPS games...all of which are better suited to a computer.

Seems to me the only thing a console beats a computer with key board and mouse at are sports and fighting games, neither of which I do as mentioned.

Does that clear up the confusion?

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 05:03:40 AM

You didn't have to explain yourself. The moment you said you couldn't be competitive with pressing buttons it was sort of a given that consoles aren't for you. Btw, anime and JRPGs are for the most part exclusive of eachother. It's only recently (last 4-6 years) that there's really started to be a good deal of overlap. Not liking JRPGs is one thing. Not liking them because you don't like anime is just stupid. The only reason MMOGs are better suited for PC is because people still design them that way. As for FPS titles, yea, keyboard and mouse is more accurate. But I've got over my childish need to only use a keyboard and mouse for single player portions of games. Finally RPGs being better on a PC? Neg. Not really at all. Or rather, just one type. The isometric Baldur's Gate style with RTS style controls is better on a PC. Nearly every other type has been adapted to consoles in a more than acceptable manner that's been streamlined into a fantastic experience with a peripheral that fits in the palm of my hands.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 05:15:22 AM

Btw, anime and JRPGs are for the most part exclusive of eachother. It's only recently (last 4-6 years) that there's really started to be a good deal of overlap. Not liking JRPGs is one thing. Not liking them because you don't like anime is just stupid.

Should I have said japanimation instead? Its all the same to me. I dont like the style of illustration.

The only reason MMOGs are better suited for PC is because people still design them that way.
I seem to think the many many many more keys on a keyboard allowing people to set up various macro's and commands has alot to do with it as well. But maybe thats just me.
Also alot of the add-ons and customized UI's you couldnt get in consoles either I dont believe.

Strazos

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 07:00:36 AM

Stop being a fucking hater, Strazos. People who play sports games on computers are crazy. Really people who play anything that isn't mouse/keyboard intensive or an FPS on a computer is crazy. But then, there are times where a mouse seems better for a job. But for the most part, no, it's less fun and more work-like.

I'm not being a hater, and I'm not sure why you took what I said as such. Because I used the word "mashing"? I didn't mean to imply brainless "button mashing", because if I did, I would have said so.

But lets face it - most console games are not exactly accuracy-intensive.

Maybe in Techmo Bowl or Blades of Steel it is. Back in 1988.

A juke is usually handled by holding a button + directional spinning.
Gross movement, perfect for thumbs, especially when you can lean the analog stick against the edge of the controller to guide your "spinning."

Most actions are handled in a much more fluid, organic manner. And when there is button pushing, it's rarely "mashing". Degree/length of pressure is the difference between a bunk pass or shot and a good one. Making a freethrow in basketball could be a matter of lining up two boxes on the screen with both analog sticks. Swinging a jab in Fight Night is a matter of flicking the analog stick in a straight motion, a hook in an arc motion, an uppercut in a round motion, etc.. Wrestling and grappling games have similar schemes. And you'll never, ever get by mashing buttons in Soul Calibur (unless you're playing someone as clueless as you).

I nearly lol'ed when I read this. I wouldn't argue with what you actually said, but it's the overwrought way you said. Fluid and Organic manner? Please.

But anyway, yes certain games are pretty pointless to be used with a keyboard and mouse. I've never debated that point, and I never will. I don't even hate consoles, but at this time I simply do not play console games. My Xbox? It's been sitting in a box for at least 2 months now, and I have no desire to hook it up.

The games that take up the majority of my attention nowadays are First-Person shooters or RPGs, RTS-style games, and MMOs, all of which would suck utter Ass if I had to use a controller. It has nothing to do with being Elitist - those are just the games I play. I like Soul Calibur. I own SC2 on Xbox....I just don't play it.

And just to throw something funny out that....even when I was playing my Xbox (or my DS now), I Have to be sitting upright in a chair. I've tried playing from bed, and I just don't find it comfortable.

Fear the Backstab!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2006, 12:50:33 PM

Herzog Zwei is an RTS game that was great with a controller. So is that Nintendo ant game...I forget the name. (You control the different insects and such)

You just have to design things the right way. Contollers are vector-based controls whereas mice are position-based. By that I mean with a mouse you say "move here" and with a controller you say "move in this direction".

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: May 20, 2006, 12:56:05 PM

I nearly lol'ed when I read this. I wouldn't argue with what you actually said, but it's the overwrought way you said. Fluid and Organic manner? Please.

It was 2:00 AM. Give me a break. I just meant that it's more ideal to use a control scheme that best mimics the movements and actions on screen. And if one can't get the best, you move to the next best thing (which isn't a keyboard + mouse combo all the time). Having a "boxing glove" controller isn't exactly practical for everyone, so you provide something like what's offered in Fight Night, where your thumb movements are representative of the punches in the game.

Same deal would go for a motorcycle game. A motorcycle handlebar controller would be the most ideal, but the next best step is something like Moto GP (pulling down on the right analog stick controls the gas, trigger button controls the break, etc..).

But anyway, yes certain games are pretty pointless to be used with a keyboard and mouse. I've never debated that point, and I never will.

Then why did you write that first post? I don't understand.

And just to throw something funny out that....even when I was playing my Xbox (or my DS now), I Have to be sitting upright in a chair. I've tried playing from bed, and I just don't find it comfortable.

And?
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 01:57:37 PM

Btw, anime and JRPGs are for the most part exclusive of eachother. It's only recently (last 4-6 years) that there's really started to be a good deal of overlap. Not liking JRPGs is one thing. Not liking them because you don't like anime is just stupid.

Should I have said japanimation instead? Its all the same to me. I dont like the style of illustration.

Neg. That doesn't help either. Though, as shallow a reason as it is, it's still better than Strazos inability to get comfortable/have fun.

The only reason MMOGs are better suited for PC is because people still design them that way.
I seem to think the many many many more keys on a keyboard allowing people to set up various macro's and commands has alot to do with it as well. But maybe thats just me.
Also alot of the add-ons and customized UI's you couldnt get in consoles either I dont believe.

What, you're saying a persistant game played like Legend of Zelda wouldn't work on a controller? All you did was support exactly what I said. Cumbersome UIs and macros and piles of shitty commands are exactly why a keyboard is necessary. Developers still design shit that way.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 02:08:11 PM

Neg. That doesn't help either. Though, as shallow a reason as it is, it's still better than Strazos inability to get comfortable/have fun.
You and I have different tastes. That does not make either of our tastes "shallow". Its why there are so many styles of art in the first place.
For example Llava told me that at E3 you drunkenly admitted liking women with facial hair, but I wouldnt make fun of you for that!  :-D (just kidding)

What, you're saying a persistant game played like Legend of Zelda wouldn't work on a controller?

Sure but in order to keep the UI from being a big cluttered mess on your TV you would end up with a lot of nestled menus, where as with a keyboard in a game like WOW you can reach many menus or options all with the touch of one key, and depending on the size of your keyboard you can have 12 or more customized macros you wouldnt have with a single controller.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:10:59 PM by Broughden »

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #30 on: May 20, 2006, 02:36:02 PM

Cluttered, nestled menus in Zelda?? Those games were designed for buttons and and barely present a player with any menus at all.

The only console game that I think of with that kind of inelegance is Final Fantasy XI....Which is just a run of the mill PC mmorpg in the first place. Or ports from the PC in general (Sim City, some RTS's, etc.).
Strazos

Reply #31 on: May 20, 2006, 02:45:58 PM

But anyway, yes certain games are pretty pointless to be used with a keyboard and mouse. I've never debated that point, and I never will.

Then why did you write that first post? I don't understand.

My first post was in regards to MMOs "migrating" to consoles so you could use a controller, which I contend would be stupid the way things are right now in gaming. FFXI had a horrible UI that was painful enough to use with a KB + Mouse. I can't imagine trying to go through all those nested menus with a controller. Do you even have autorun on a controller?

And besides, if we're talking about MMOs, the keyboard sure isn't going away anytime soon. Integrated Voice Chat? Do you Really want to here what other players actually sound like when they start spouting off nonsense? I think not.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #32 on: May 20, 2006, 02:55:05 PM

Yes, as MMO requirements stand right now, migrating away from Mouse + Keyboard is a bad idea. I'm with you on that. Soukyan was just talking about migrating away from the need for that kind of input though -- Like, if MMO's starting behaving more like Prince of Persia or something. Using a mouse would be counter intuitive or just plain doesn't work for the kind of action offered in certain types of games.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:59:50 PM by Stray »
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 20, 2006, 03:21:09 PM

Cluttered, nestled menus in Zelda?? Those games were designed for buttons and and barely present a player with any menus at all.

You are right, but it also didnt offer the choices a modern RPG or MMO does either did it? Basically all you needed was up, down, left, right, attack, jump, and a basic inventory.

Modern MMOs and RPGs need more interface than that due to the increased options the player has. Which was my point.

schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2006, 03:27:35 PM

What are you talking about? MMORPGs today only give you two choices. Walk and attack. Sure the particle effects and numbers are different, but it's all the same shit. Maybe five years ago I'd have been inclined to agree with you on the "choices" involved with playing an MMORPG. There's aren't choices. There's verious flavors of a single option. Now that I'm a higher level, I'll press the button for the higher level attack of the same thing I had at level 1. WEEEEEEEEEE FUN.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E306/AoC: An Age Undreamed Of  
Jump to: