Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty  (Read 59276 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 09:44:22 AM

It does look gimmicky, but I've yet to hear one person who has actually played with the thing say it FEELS gimmicky. It's the kind of tech that a game has to be designed around, but just based on the number of games that appear to be just that, I've got pretty high hopes for it.

See that's what worries me. They'll get so focused on "oo..let's make it so the player has to sling the mote around like a flaming fairy" and sort of forget to make good gameplay.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 01:40:08 AM

My sole experience with any motion sensitive device (though I'm sure the technology isn't comparable) was one of the Rogue Squadron games on PC, with my fancy (read: not fancy) Microsoft gaming pad.  It was horrid...laggy and lacking in fine control.  Good concept, bad execution.  I get the same feeling when I see the displays at the mall where they are playing Tekken on those gaming mats with all the motion sensitive gloves and whatnot.  It looks like it might be fun for about 10 seconds, up until the time where you discover that you have no control whatsoever, and look like a flailing moron.  Having one of those epilectic fits the manuals are always warning about might suddenly turn into a blistering combo attack.  SHO-RYU-KEN!!

I'll put the wiimote into this same gimmicky category until I have it in my hands and can try it myself.  With all the buzz around it, however, it seems there may be hope for it.

(edited the extra breaks in the post -schild)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:59:19 AM by schild »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 07:07:57 AM

More Wii stuff that I don't think has been mentioned: Opera on the Wii, surf with the Wiimote, details fuzzy.  Opera VP Scott Hedrick seems very excited about using the Wiimote to surf the net, but of course he's paid to seem that way.  He also forgot to list off one more benefit for web-aware games: advertising.

Maybe more interesting is an exclusive from Cubed3 that reports the Wii will launch on Nov 6 in the US.  Probably.  Somewhen close, at least.  No matter the actual date, Nintendo wants to get the Wii into stores well before Nov 23 (Thanksgiving Day in US).  That is obvious, of course.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 06:57:27 AM

Nintendo's Wii all the wii for me (yeah that was cheesy, I know)!  I'm not much for FPS games on the console systems because I just can't get used to the controller in your hand vs. keyboard/mouse, BUT after seeing and hearing so much about Red Steel for the Wii I am giddy as a schoolgirl to try it out.  Plus all the other stuff.  I've studied martial arts for years and I've had my fairshare of practice with the katana and samuri sword so I'm excited to try this out using the Wii controller.

PS3 and the stuff I have read/seen doesn't = $600 to me.  Sure is has blu-ray, but the next medium wars are about to start all over again.  Anyone remember the VHS vs. Beta war?  We shall see who wins.  Blu-ray vs. HD DvD, *ding ding* in this corner we have...  I will have to get the system one of these years, but for now I will wait.  I'm itching to play the new Ratchet and Clank.  Can't wait for God of War 2 as well (thank god its on the PS2).

Never been into the Xbox much so I'm not even considering it.  Even though Halo 2 was kewl as hell.  I gotta try out Fable one of these days.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 09:33:51 AM

I've studied martial arts for years and I've had my fairshare of practice with the katana and samuri sword so I'm excited to try this out using the Wii controller.

Because video game designers set their sights like a laser on the "Frustrated nerd who plays with utterly useless weapons" demographic.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 12:29:23 PM

Keep in mind that the Wii is being designed for non-gamers to use.  Set your expectations appropriately, otherwise disappointment is surely in your future.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

That Zangief avatar is quite possibly the best animated GIF evar.

ETA:  I also sort of want to apologize to Chinchilla for being a dick, but come on...  You somehow think that having waved around a sword in the past is going to translate into some supal33t Ninteno Zen mastery?  There's also the fact, and I do mean fact, that martial arts is bullshit.  Any time you hear anyone talk about how much time they've spent in MA you can be reasonably sure of their pussydom.  There is no school of MA that is better than the ancient school of the broken beer bottle or the time honored art of the Redneck with a CCW.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 12:38:41 PM by Big Gulp »
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 01:48:23 PM

Not a single game with weapons will feel like you're really using that weapon. It's impossible. The Wii controller weighs too little. This is something they will never get right, or else every player would just swing the light-as-air weapon around wildly and wait for enemies to walk into their cuisinart maneuver.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 01:52:01 PM

Maybe the game could come packaged with a 10lbs Wii-mote.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 02:03:03 PM

Any time you hear anyone talk about how much time they've spent in MA you can be reasonably sure of their pussydom.

Only those who are taught to fight invisible opponents and kick higher than the waist.

I've heard this kind of thing more than enough times, and the people who say it usually end up becoming fellow students.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 05, 2006, 02:09:58 PM

I've heard this kind of thing more than enough times, and the people who say it usually end up becoming fellow students.

I'm 32 years old, and my bar fighting days are long over.  I was certainly never an unholy ass kicker, but I've done alright for myself barring the occassional beatdown that everyone receives.  However, I've never seen anyone who claimed to be into martial arts acquit themselves well in a fight.  Not once.  Given that experience if I had to bet on some overblown wannabe dojo-monkey or the untrained guy with a couple of teeth missing who just likes to fight, I'm picking the untrained guy who just likes to fight.

Lastly, I have a CCW, and I know of no ancient eastern technique that can defeat a bullet.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 02:48:09 PM

However, I've never seen anyone who claimed to be into martial arts acquit themselves well in a fight.  Not once.

I'm not going to toot my own horn (have had my ass kicked plenty), but I have a pretty good idea of what you're observing...And on one level, you're right. What I said above about those who were taught by practicing theoretical and impractical moves is mainly pointing to Karate and TKD students (nothing against the styles though. It's all good. It's just that most schools are bad). I've known quite a few people over the years from these places, so I know where you're coming from.

Completely different story though for, say, full contact trained Aikido students...

What I've been involved in on and off for most of my life is similar (Jai Yen Yen...which isn't global enough for many to know about here probably), so I can say the same for it as well.

Since you're a G.I. kind of guy, I could point out a story about a rough and tough Green Beret, who, while observing our class at a base gym, decided he wanted to spar my teacher afterwards. Instead, he told him to spar his son instead (who was only like 18 and undersized at the time). His son could kick my ass, but even I was nervous about that --

Yet, he never got hit once, and knocked that dude on his ass multiple times -- Even when the other guy really started taking it seriously, he couldn't get a break. And this isn't even a "bar brawler" -- This is a sophicated brawler.

Needless to say, he experienced enough to want to learn what we were doing for himself.

if I had to bet on some overblown wannabe dojo-monkey or the untrained guy with a couple of teeth missing who just likes to fight, I'm picking the untrained guy who just likes to fight.

Again, I can see where you're coming from -- The best kind of fighters are those who have the experience in doing it.

But that definitely does not rule out the "dojo monkeys". There are plenty around who know how to act when the real thing goes down. Some are even more crazy and sick about it than that guy with a broken bottle and no teeth.

Lastly, I have a CCW, and I know of no ancient eastern technique that can defeat a bullet.

Well, of course. Even Bruce Lee instructed that you should "Run!" if you see a gun.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 02:54:49 PM by Stray »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: June 05, 2006, 03:16:15 PM

Not a single game with weapons will feel like you're really using that weapon. It's impossible. The Wii controller weighs too little. This is something they will never get right, or else every player would just swing the light-as-air weapon around wildly and wait for enemies to walk into their cuisinart maneuver.
It wouldn't matter how heavy the controller was, it wouldn't be able to simulate the feel of swinging a real sword since there's no blade. Simulating a light saber, on the other hand...
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 05, 2006, 03:42:58 PM

It wouldn't matter how heavy the controller was, it wouldn't be able to simulate the feel of swinging a real sword since there's no blade. Simulating a light saber, on the other hand...

I see the future clearly now, yes, people moding their wii controllers into all sort of weirdness.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: June 05, 2006, 11:16:16 PM

A reply to the frontpage link "The Inquirer found something wrong with the PS3":

I know absolutely zilch about RSX  cheesy, but I'm gettin' kind of tired of PS3 news -- whether it's good or bad.

It's all bullshit.

"Sony won't allow the purchase of used games" -- Bullshit

"The PS3 is slow and broken" -- Bullshit

"It'll replace the PC" -- Bullshit

No more, please. Everything reported about the PS3 is propaganda. And bullshit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2006, 11:30:47 PM

Errrr, the PS3 being slow and broken is an observation based on actual specs released by Sony.

Of course it won't replace the PC.

Of course they'll allow the purchase of used games.

But being slow and broken is entirely possible.

What were you getting at?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 11:34:45 PM

What were you getting at?

That there is very little news out there about the PS3 other than premature, agenda driven bullshit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 11:43:31 PM

Mmmmm, I can say the stuff at E3 wasn't very impressive. Broken? Maybe? Wouldn't particularly know.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:31 PM

Spit it out, man! I won't call bullshit on you at least ;)

I don't recall any particular writeup about this. Yet another thing on your backlog maybe?
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: June 06, 2006, 12:03:35 AM

Nah, I just don't care either way until it's on my shelf. Same with the Revolution.

Edit: Basically, I'm pretty tired of caring. And I'm disgusted with the way the industry conducts itself (press and developers and publishers).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 12:08:01 AM

Errrr, the PS3 being slow and broken is an observation based on actual specs released by Sony.
It's not broken, it's a feature, seriously. The same thing happens with PC graphics hardware -- it's very very very slow for the CPU to read directly from VRAM.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: June 06, 2006, 07:07:55 AM

It's not broken, it's a feature, seriously. The same thing happens with PC graphics hardware -- it's very very very slow for the CPU to read directly from VRAM.

This is the follow-up I read elsewhere from a programmer that actually knows how to read the docs, so I think this is likely true.  The confusion is in the labels applied to different portions of the hardware being non-obvious.  On the other hand, the proof is in the pudding.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 11:20:10 AM

An interview at TechOn! with Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata gives more crazy ideas, notably cementing the VC as a place for cheap crappy games, and DS connectivity.

Quote from: Iwata-san
...it is possible to create a reasonably entertaining game in 2 months with a team of three. Offering such games for 500 yen over a network could lead to a reasonable number of people purchasing it. By offering an environment that allows this, we hope to encourage more developers to pursue basic yet enjoyable gameplay.

Quote from: Iwata-san
I'll give you a specific example we are planning for. Let's say your Wii is connected to the Internet in a mode that allows activation on a 24-hour basis. This would allow Nintendo to send monthly promotional demos for the DS, during the night, to the Wii consoles in each household.

I bolded what I consider the funniest Wii-related quote yet; not trying to comment on the always-on idea, as such.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 12:38:22 PM

The concept of downloading DS demos is an interesting idea.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 03:47:51 PM

An interview at TechOn! with Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata gives more crazy ideas, notably cementing the VC as a place for cheap crappy games, and DS connectivity.

If they could make cheap NES-quality sequels to old NES games I'd be all for it.  Something along the lines of Kid Icarus 2, or Punch-Out 2, another Gradius game or whatever.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #60 on: June 06, 2006, 04:58:11 PM

Not quite impossible, I'm sure some 3rd party company come out with a katana hilt you can put the controller in, and probaly also a gun as well.

Who wouldn't buy a metal replica handgun you could put the wii controller in for an fps?

schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: June 06, 2006, 05:24:31 PM

Just depressing. Faceplates, controllers, CONTROLLER FACEPLATES, CONTROLLER PERIPHERALS. It's getting out of hand.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: June 06, 2006, 09:28:25 PM

Who wouldn't buy a metal replica handgun you could put the wii controller in for an fps?

Don't be retarded.  I have a real gun and a roll of tape.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 07, 2006, 05:30:01 AM

Don't be retarded.  I have a real gun and a roll of tape.

If you're playing Doom 3 don't forget to tape the flashlight to it.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 07, 2006, 06:15:27 AM

Parents of young children?  Nintendo tends to go out of its way to avoid Rockstar-esque attention.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 07, 2006, 07:03:06 AM

If they could make cheap NES-quality sequels to old NES games I'd be all for it.  Something along the lines of Kid Icarus 2, or Punch-Out 2, another Gradius game or whatever.

That is the best idea I've heard in weeks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #66 on: June 07, 2006, 09:43:27 AM

Reuters financial article on Nintendo and some Sony information.

Sony expects to post a 100 billion yen ($884 million) operating loss at its game division in the current fiscal year due to costs related to the PS3 launch.

"It is a strange notion that a game console always leads to mounting losses in the beginning," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told a news conference. "We can't promise we won't even have a one yen loss, but we are not expecting an enormous loss."

I don't think anyone expects Nintendo to lose money, I just wish it would help us figure out how much the Wii will sell for.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #67 on: June 07, 2006, 09:54:43 AM

Some stuff from Famitsu has been translated at N-Sider, with the usual tiny trickle of real information.

...DS will work with Wii similarly to how Game Boy Advance worked with Nintendo GameCube — as "extra controllers" for specifically-designed games. The Nintendo DS will be able to be used with these games as a touch screen controller, as well as DS games having their playfield expanded on the TV screen via the Wii...

I hope it's games with an "s" this time around.  Not that I have Crystal Chronicles.

Nintendo is working with developers of Virtual Console Titles to make sure they've got sub-3-second start-up time and making the experience smoothly startable and stoppable.

I am waiting to find out about the inevitable differences in JP and NA games on the VC.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #68 on: June 07, 2006, 10:21:40 AM

I don't think anyone expects Nintendo to lose money, I just wish it would help us figure out how much the Wii will sell for.

No more than $250. They've already stated that.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #69 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:52 AM

The Courier-Mail interviews Shigeru Miyamoto and discovers nothing... except maybe one bit:

Quote from: Miyamoto-san
We have a lot of leeway to do what we want with our price.

I admit, the article is mostly entertaining because of the picture of Miyamoto looking like a dork.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty  
Jump to: