Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty  (Read 59240 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 15, 2006, 10:31:18 AM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:38:49 AM

Will get a PS3.

Will hold out for a Wii.

Irrational hate for the 360.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:48 AM

If Nintendo makes Pilotwings for the Wii, it's a lock. Hell, it's a lock anyhow, but I still want to see an updated version of Pilotwings. The PS3 is just too damn expensive if they stick to that price point. Any word on what the games for it will cost? *cough*$75*cough* Wild speculation aside, I haven't felt particularly compelled to buy a 360 just yet, but the Nintendo hype-machine just grabbed me and melted my mind to want to buy a Wii. Saying that aloud sounds a bit perverse...

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:26:50 PM

I already have a 360. During the last console generation I owned all 3 of them. The gamecube was mostly a waste (other than RE4. Even the Zelda game didn't grab me like past Zelda titles.) The PS2 rocked for RPGs but other than that I didn't use it.

So, this time out I will probably avoid the Wii and only pick up the PS3 if they come out with some cool RPGs I can't resist.

It's an odd world where Microsoft is putting out the product I feel most comfortable with and have the most faith in.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:29:14 PM

Honestly, having been to E3 this year, I feel more comfortable with my PS2 than I do with any of the upcoming systems. Basically, the PS2 has shockingly long legs. God of War 2, Guitar Hero 2, Devil Summoner, Persona 3, and piles of other stuff guarantee that no other system is going to dominate my time until mid-late 2007. I haven't touched my 360 since the week after Oblivion came out. I'll play the Lost Planet demo a few times though. For the 2 minutes I played at the show - it was awesome.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:30:59 PM

If Nintendo makes Pilotwings for the Wii, it's a lock. Hell, it's a lock anyhow, but I still want to see an updated version of Pilotwings.

If you are going to be making fruitless wishes, why not wish for an updated Super Metroid?  Of course, these games will just be plopped as-is into the emulator rather than revamped.

The only thing that worries me is if my PS2 can limp along until the PS3 release, since I really don't want to have to buy another PS2 at this time.  That would suuuuuuuck.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Litigator
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:54:09 PM

I don't really know what makes PS3 such a "main course." The hardware, despite being $200 more expensive, doesn't seem to edge the 360 by very much, if at all. There are certainly more games showing on Wii that I'm excited about. 

I wasn't at the show, but I didn't see anything in the coverage to get me really excited about PS3. Nobody seems nearly as revved up about any of Sony's showings as they are about Gears of War, and the GTA4 for Xbox 360 announcement doesn't look good for Sony either.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 03:03:24 PM

I don't buy consoles at release, but I'm seriously considering buying a Wii for Red Steel. Probably for the Zelda game and god help me, for Madden 2007. It just looks that interesting.

PS3 can suck my left nut. I won't pay $600 for a console with nothing really new in it but more pixels and bigger DVD's.

360 might be mine if the price drops, but only for Gears of War. That game has trumped anything I've seen for the PS3 or the 360.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 07:31:07 AM

I don't really know what makes PS3 such a "main course."

The one thing is Sony's library.  The PS3-specific shit will take a while, but it will be there; we just have to get through the inevitable Fantavisions and Eternal Rings.  Not having a real dev system is going to make this process take longer, no doubt, and the chances of me grabbing a PS3 on release are practically zero at this point unless my haggard PS2 goes tits-up.  Also, I think a developer/publisher that wants to put out a traditional game in CY2007 that will enjoy a large install-base might lean toward Sony, leaving the Wii to people who still have some imagination.  Right this very minute, there are several upcoming PS2 games that have me all sweaty-palmed, but nothing on the PS3.  A counter-argument could be that Culdcept going to Xbox means Sony won't have such a stranglehold on certain types of games anymore.

On the other hand, it seems that the Wii will be the One True Machine for the living-room FPS, scoring big points against the Xboxen and less so against the PS_.

You might also consider the PS1+PS2 back-catalog as part of the PS3 launch lineup, if you consider the Virtual Console games on the Wii as part of N's launch lineup... which the Nintendo press apparently does.  In either scenario, I think the X360 loses.

It sure is fun to speculate.  Later, I will take a stab at what the first new Virtual Console game might be.  For now, I'll just predict it will be a dumb arcade title.  If I am lucky, it will be an Arkanoid clone.

I don't buy consoles at release, but I'm seriously considering buying a Wii for ... god help me, for Madden 2007. It just looks that interesting.

You provide a nice nutshell to encapsulate why I think the Wii is so awesome.  If a machine can make God-damned Madden exciting for Haemish, I really have high hopes for it reaching an untapped market.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 02:08:50 PM

I'm a little bit of Sony fanboi, and belive me there's a lot of playstation zealots out there which will get a PS3, I don't know how many but it's a force to be reconed with. Sure we all care about gameplay and Wii does sound refreshing, however, there will most likely be games which the playstation controller will feel better playing than the Wii controller. There's even a couple of games which I can think of which won't work on a Wii if I've understod the controller right. Also, fuck Nintendo in the ass if surfing the web with the console becomes popular, I'd probably kill myself if I have to make sure layouts etc works in Opera, IE and Firefox.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 05:31:03 AM

You are right, games that are designed for the DualShock2 will probably feel better on the PS2, in most cases anyway (note my previous posts on the HID driving game design paradigms)... except that I haven't heard anyone who has used the Wiimote say anything like that (unless of course you have used it, I forget).  FPS is, I think, an obvious exception and I feel confident in saying the Wiimote will provide the best console FPS interface, period.

Note that the PS3 and Wii are not going to directly compete.  A hardcore gamer is going to get the PS3 sooner or later, which is what I was trying to say above.  I think the hardcore gamer might also get the Wii; I mean, it's going to be cheap if nothing else.  The really hardcore, people with real jobs and income, those who have been gaming since the Atari 2600 and before, those people are going to get both.  But, when Christmas rolls around and Granny toddles into Wal*Mart looking for the PS3 that Little Timmy begged for... let's just say that her low-end options are no longer liimited to stuff from Tiger Direct and those 10-in-1 "TV games".  I predict the Wii is going to tap into an unseen market, similar to how WoW has done in the MOG space.

There.  I made a WoW reference in a console thread.  Are you happy?

Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 05:53:53 AM

I'm getting a HDTV.
Then I'll consider the PS3... when there's a decent number of games avaliable.
I'll get a Wii if it's less than $300 with an extra controller and they make just a single good somewhat adult themed game... preferably including guns.
I wanted to get a 360 an use with my Media Center PC but it's too fuckin' noisy to use for anything but games and in that library only Burnout and Need for Speed really did anything for me...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 08:03:52 AM

I'll get a Wii if it's less than $300 with an extra controller and they make just a single good somewhat adult themed game... preferably including guns.

Disaster: Day of Crisis

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:07:03 AM

You are right, games that are designed for the DualShock2 will probably feel better on the PS2, in most cases anyway (note my previous posts on the HID driving game design paradigms)... except that I haven't heard anyone who has used the Wiimote say anything like that (unless of course you have used it, I forget). 

ExciteTruck. Which looks as if you play the Wiiremote on its side like a game controller, and tilt the controller forward and backward to control pitch of the truck when you jump into the air.

I'm not so sure the Wiiremote can't be used to be an even better driving game controller than the DualShock types. But yes, it has to be specifically designed for that in order to not suck.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54:58 AM

I'm not so sure the Wiiremote can't be used to be an even better driving game controller than the DualShock types.

I agree.  Just about anything would be better than that shit-ass analog thumbstick, though.  Even in a game with controls as fine-tuned to use the nub as Forza, in most cases I might as well be using the fucking D-pad.  Maybe wireless wheels are out there, but I'm not aware of any (maybe I should look), and I require wireless controllers.  If the Wiimote can give me even a little more granular steering, I'll be all over that like Polyphonic on same-old-same-old.

I think I'm going to have to put myself into a coma until the Wii comes out.  The wait is intolerable.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 02:51:55 PM

Am I the only person around here who looks at the Wiimote as a gimick that will be more trouble than its worth?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 02:54:30 PM

Am I the only person around here who looks at the Wiimote as a gimick that will be more trouble than its worth?

That's what Steve Jobs said about the two-button mouse.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 03:01:14 PM

Steve Jobs has been proven an idiot thousands of times. The Ninty folks have only been proven crazy a couple times.

ROB. VIRTUAL BOY.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 07:15:27 PM

Come X-Mas '06, we'll have just blown a small fortune on a trip to Fiji, will be saving for a house, and will therefore likely be getting just the Wii for starters. However, we're also considering the "investment" option of buying a couple of PS3 and Wii and reselling on eBay to fund the purchase of both systems for ourselves. We learned a great deal from the 'Great XBox Craze of Ought-Five', and are predicting a similar melee come this holiday. Consoles are just the Cabbage Patch Kids of the 21st Century.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 10:38:43 PM

I used to, until I started hearing from people who'd actually had their hands on one.  The fact that it's supposedly so glorious when applied to a game as conventional as Madden is a heartening sign.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 01:24:28 AM

That's what Steve Jobs said about the two-button mouse.

If you'd ever tried to explain the two button mouse to somebody who has not grown up using computers you#d think different about that
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 05:44:11 AM

You are not the only one, but I am repeatedly told that it isn't a gimmick.  I remember when I first saw the NES controller: I thought it looked cheap and the D-pad frightened and confused me, being a simple unfrozen caveman Atari 5200/2600 player as I was.  After I got used to it, it was fine.  Even better, it was built like a Cadillac compared to the Atari chintz (damn you, 5200).  I expect this to be a similar situation.  Anyway, there is a traditional-style controller for the Wii, so what do you have to lose?  And, there is a pistol-type shell with an analog stick where the hammer would be, which I declare to be an absolute good.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38:41 AM

Unless it proves to be cost-prohibitive for developers to focus on it, yes, you are the only person.

It does look gimmicky, but I've yet to hear one person who has actually played with the thing say it FEELS gimmicky. It's the kind of tech that a game has to be designed around, but just based on the number of games that appear to be just that, I've got pretty high hopes for it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 02:24:11 AM

I keep having visions of Wiimote = Lightsaber.  Or am I the only dork that has had that thought?  That would be heavenly...right up until I do a saber-throw right into my new flatscreen.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 04:24:47 AM

It was webslinging for me (i.e. Spidey 2 or Ultimate Spider-Man). That'd be interesting.

I still think it's a gimmick though.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 07:13:14 AM

I keep having visions of Wiimote = Lightsaber.  Or am I the only dork that has had that thought?  That would be heavenly...right up until I do a saber-throw right into my new flatscreen.

If the controller works well, and Lucas & Friends decide to put the next Jedi Academy on Wii, it could well give Wii the market.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 07:34:53 AM

That's awesome.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 01:24:27 PM

Watch any of the videos you can find of the Ubi Soft demo of Red Steel. Instead of lightsaber, think Katana and Wakazashi combo.

A light saber game would kick ass, excpet for the having to give George Lucas more money part.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 08:17:24 PM

PS3 To Public- "Pssh, you don't OWN me!"

Well, if that's official, then I'm officially on the Wii bandwagon (if there is one).
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 08:21:32 PM

The one game to a console bit is gone. You officially can use your games in any number of PS3s.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 01:10:09 AM

I laughed.

For the next generation, we will all be Star Wars Kid.

EDIT:  On a tangent, am I the only one who ever dreamed of a lightsaber Bushido Blade?

schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 04:15:04 AM

EDIT: On a tangent, am I the only one who ever dreamed of a lightsaber Bushido Blade?

Yes. The rest of us normal folk just want a new, spruced up Bushido Blade.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 07:47:56 AM

EDIT: On a tangent, am I the only one who ever dreamed of a lightsaber Bushido Blade?

Yes. The rest of us normal folk just want a new, spruced up Bushido Blade.

Yeah, what schild said.  If you keep feeding Lucas, he's going to keep knocking over your lawn furniture and digging through your garbage during the night.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 04:53:02 PM

I like me some Star Wars, and the last SW game I bought was friggin' TIE Fighter out of a bargain bin, eons ago.  So blow me and stuff, I want cool lightsaber fights.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11:12 AM

I guess this is the defacto Wii thread.  Here is a link to an article by Dave Long over at GamerDad about what it's like to actually play with the Wii.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:13:50 AM by Yegolev »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The PS-Wii-Sixty  
Jump to: