Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: It's a good week for dvd releases... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's a good week for dvd releases...  (Read 5695 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 14, 2004, 02:36:35 AM

Monk Season 1
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 2

Those 2 are self-explanatory....

Chronicles of Riddick - Dark Fury - A cartoon done by the Aeon Flux guy with Vin Diesel doing the voice of Riddick and the original actress (from Pitch Black) doing the voice of Jak.

Also, Nip/Tuck season 1 is released. I haven't seen this but have wanted to for a while. Does anyone else watch it as it's telecast? How is it? Should I buy it?
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 02:54:20 AM

Quote from: schild
Also, Nip/Tuck season 1 is released. I haven't seen this but have wanted to for a while. Does anyone else watch it as it's telecast? How is it? Should I buy it?

I've watched it and enjoyed it. Not sure that it'd be worth buying as I don't see it having much re-watchability. Depends how much spare cash you have and how badly you want to see it I guess.

It's mostly episodic rather than arc based, although there are recurring extra characters and consequences that span epsiodes. Most of the ongoing story is character/relationship development rather than plot.

There's fairly frequent cringe-making gore (surgical scenes mostly) so if that bothers you that may be a factor.

Other than that... it has it's highs and lows, manages to be completely frivolous at points and have serious emotional impact at others. It can be a bit preachy and moralistic at times but that's not prevalent.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 10:35:18 AM

Quote from: tar

I've watched it and enjoyed it. Not sure that it'd be worth buying as I don't see it having much re-watchability. Depends how much spare cash you have and how badly you want to see it I guess.

It's mostly episodic rather than arc based, although there are recurring extra characters and consequences that span epsiodes. Most of the ongoing story is character/relationship development rather than plot.

There's fairly frequent cringe-making gore (surgical scenes mostly) so if that bothers you that may be a factor.

Other than that... it has it's highs and lows, manages to be completely frivolous at points and have serious emotional impact at others. It can be a bit preachy and moralistic at times but that's not prevalent.

I love Nip/Tuck they have some great characters and character developement, I think it is one of the better shows on TV period, but to each his own. I am waiting for the season premiere on the 22nd with mixed feelings. Good because I love the show, and this season is looking to be really good, and Bad because it means the Shield is over.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:50:06 AM

One of the best shows on television.  Really, I'd watch the season premiere to see if it's your style.  But I don't know a person that's watched and disliked it.

-Rasix
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:54:19 AM

With fairly recent releases like ROTK, Miracle, Last Samurai, Mystic River, and Monster on the shelves at my local Blockbuster, the list you've provided warrants a solid "meh".

3 TV shows and an anime for Riddick fans.....again, meh.

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 12:16:58 PM

A movie named 'Spartan' releases this week.  I remember seeing a preview of it in the theater and thinking it would definately be a good rental.  It stars the Iceman (Kilmer) though, so it may very well suck.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 12:28:23 PM

Spartan looked great on the trailer, but I never saw it in theaters. It's directed by David Mamet, which means you either love it or fucking hate it. The only movie of his I've seen is "Heist" which sucked copious amounts of donkey balls. But since I liked the trailer for Spartan, it's going on my Netflix queue.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 12:36:26 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
With fairly recent releases like ROTK, Miracle, Last Samurai, Mystic River, and Monster on the shelves at my local Blockbuster, the list you've provided warrants a solid "meh".

3 TV shows and an anime for Riddick fans.....again, meh.

EDIT: It's not even worth it. Just know that your list isn't what's being released THIS WEEK but rather the last 3 weeks.

Quote from: HaemishM
Spartan looked great on the trailer, but I never saw it in theaters. It's directed by David Mamet, which means you either love it or fucking hate it.

I've hated every single thing he's done other than 'GlenGarry GlenRoss.' I don't know if I trust him, maybe if I catch spartan on an airplane I'll watch it, but other than that, pfeh!
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 12:42:43 PM

I'll probably download the first couple episodes of Nip/Tuck then before I buy it. I forgot to get Six Feet Under Season 2 last week, so I've got to play catch up on one expensive box set.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 12:57:45 PM

EDIT: It's not even worth it. Just know that your list isn't what's being released THIS WEEK but rather the last 3 weeks.

Oh, I do. Was just pointing out that I didn't see anything of comparable quality on this week's list. I opened the thread hoping you saw something cool that I had missed.

But I'll concede that it's pretty subjective. As much as I enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm, I just don't get excited about TV series on DVD, particularly ones that are still running. I guess I'd have to make an exception for the Simpsons, but their boxed sets still date back about a decade.

*shrug*

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 01:03:14 PM

I just picked up City of God last Tuesday, which was a good movie but nothing you'd really miss out on by not seeing.  Most of my interest in this film came from the fact that I've got a lot of Brazilian friends.

This week I'll probably buy Tupac - Resurrection, which I saw in the theater.  It's worth watching even if you don't like that kind of music.  Hell, it's worth it just to see a high school video of Tupac and Jada Pinkett lip-synching to "Parents Just Don't Understand".
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 04:32:40 PM

Haven't seen as many episodes of Monk as I would like, but I'm glad to see it made it to dvd. I'll probably pick them up once they reach sweden. Good show.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 11:19:39 AM

Somehow I managed to miss Dead Like Me Seas. 1 when I listed this weeks releases. Anyway, came out today. Haven't seen it - may pick it up from a couple recommendations.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 09:28:22 PM

Somehow I managed to miss Dead Like Me Seas. 1 when I listed this weeks releases. Anyway, came out today. Haven't seen it - may pick it up from a couple recommendations.

Ya, I almost got showtime because I wanted to watch that show, now I don't have too.  Good find Schild.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 01:05:05 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Spartan looked great on the trailer, but I never saw it in theaters. It's directed by David Mamet, which means you either love it or fucking hate it. The only movie of his I've seen is "Heist" which sucked copious amounts of donkey balls. But since I liked the trailer for Spartan, it's going on my Netflix queue.

Spartan is great. I thought it was one his best "film" films (plays are another thing). Not only for the writing, but for the directing this time too.

I didn't mind the Heist, but it probably wasn't a good place to introduce yourself with Mamet. The plays he's written (and the film translations) do a better job of representing his work. He's written stuff just for the screen though, but they lack a lot of the style and dialogue from his stage work. I'm sure you've seen them (Untouchables, the Verdict, Ronin, Wag the Dog, and Hoffa). Some great films, but not very "Mamet-like" either.

Film versions of some of his plays are House of Games, American Buffalo, Oleanna, and Glengarry Glen Ross. All these stories are guaranteed to make you "feel" something: Oleanna will definitely piss you off (and I mean that in a good way). All worth checking out, but House of Games, which is a con-man story, works better for the screen more so than the others. The other films don't have a lot of movement or scenery, so they still feel like plays. Not for everyone, but I think they're still great. American Buffalo is one of the coolest things he's ever written, and might be better appreciated that way.

Anyways, like I said, his film scripts have never really resembled the stage stuff much, since they're usually some kind of action or suspense film of some sort. While on the other hand, the plays have always been too "wordy" for the screen. Spartan kinda brings both together.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 07:31:33 AM

Well, the riddick animated thing is only like 30 minutes or so.

I rented it out of curiosity and didn't bother checking the time.  Not too surprising I guess.  Unfortunately even at 30 minutes it was mostly filler for what was at best a 10-15 minute story.  I also hated all the character except riddick in it.  The girl from pitch black was about as fun as nails on a chalkboard and she fucking would not shutup.  Then again the main female villian was probably even more fucking annoying, and voiced by someone who could not find work on a soap opera.

Couple that with a general dislike for Aeon Flux animation style and you can understand me pretty much having no fun at all during it.  As much as I dreaded the animation style, my wife was interested and I did like both movies.  So my better judgement was circumvented.  Ah well, only a few bucks lost on that.  And my wife still seemed to like it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 07:33:13 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
And my wife still seemed to like it.

You know why she liked it? It was good. kkthx.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 07:41:13 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
And my wife still seemed to like it.

You know why she liked it? It was good. kkthx.

I disagree.  Good is subjective to the individual.  But I am glad you liked it.  I found the premise of the 'collecting' pretty uninspired and found the main villian dialog and acting insanely insipid and annoying.  Same with the little girl.  Remove those two characters and maybe I would have liked it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 07:42:37 AM

In Riddick stories I just find it's easy to ignore everyone except for him and enjoy the scenery and killing. Just try not to get distracted, you'll like shallow action shit a whole lot more.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 08:08:15 AM

The special features on the last disc of Monk Season 1 seem to have messed up audio. Tried in 2 dvd players. Let's hope this only happened to my copy.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 08:15:15 AM

"The Wedding Banquet" came out on dvd this week - one of my favorite all time movies.  Although a bit older and has some subtitles - it is incredibly funny.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 08:15:26 AM

In Riddick stories I just find it's easy to ignore everyone except for him and enjoy the scenery and killing. Just try not to get distracted, you'll like shallow action shit a whole lot more.

But this is where I was fucked from the start.  I don't like the animation style (I am not sure why but it is so unnatural to me) at all so I did not like any of the fighting and killing in it.  What was left was a few vin diesel oneliners, a mediocre at best storyline, plot holes (she dethawed the entire huge ship to go after riddick but at the end they were just loitering in the hanger with nobody after them... they killed a grand total of 2 mercenaries that I can recall, and 3 or so more were killed by the 'thing'), and horribly voiced female characters.

My foreknowledge that I would not like the action scenes killed the thing before I put in the dvd player.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 08:22:48 AM

The special features on the last disc of Monk Season 1 seem to have messed up audio. Tried in 2 dvd players. Let's hope this only happened to my copy.

Did you buy them or rent them?  How much did you pay for the set?

I loved the show, but never got around to seeing as much of it as I wanted.  I probably only saw 3-4 shows in the first season.  Love the actor, and always thought they should have cancelled 'Wings" and made a spinoff with him as the main character.  His charcter in that show was about the only thing good about it.  I was glad when he got the lead in Monk.

Have the ratings been any good for it?  Every show I like gets cancelled it seems.  My dad really wanted to see the show but he couldn't because it was pre-empted every week in Green Bay for some dumb Packer Locker room show.  GB has like 3 hour long weekly packer shows during (or near) prime time where they never get to see whatever is being shown during that time.  Monk came on right before Monday night football too.

HEY!!!  I just came up with my fathers day present!  Yeah me.  It won't get there in time, but oh well.

How much and where is a good place to get "Monk" online and mailed to him?
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 08:25:46 AM

Uhmmm, Amazon can maybe get it there by Father's Day and they'll be at least as cheap as Best Buy (where I got it).

Great show. I buy 90% of my dvds, I usually specify when I rent.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2004, 08:31:45 AM

Okay, I found it at Deep Discount DVD for $35 with free shipping... anyone ever hear about that place?

They were on the list at www.bargainflix.com.  Maybe one of those other cheap places is more repudable?  I am not TOO concerned about super fast shipping.  Our family is horribly tardy with gifts.  We just make sure to call and wish each other well on the actual day to tell the other party that we have not forgotten and that the check is in the mail per se.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2004, 08:33:38 AM

Deep Discount is great. I used to order Criterion discs from them.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 12:10:46 PM

Thanks.  BBB listed 24 complaints in the last 12 months, but considering volume that has got to be a tiny percentage.  All but two resolved, two unanswered.  Mostly delivery problems that could be USPS as much as them.

Not bad for $35 after shipping.  My dad loves Shaloub and could not watch any of season 1 at all.  Will be a great gift.

The only problem is I really want 2 now...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: It's a good week for dvd releases...  
Jump to: