Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Betrayal is a Bitch! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Betrayal is a Bitch!  (Read 9574 times)
Xerapis
Contributor

on: May 14, 2006, 02:58:57 PM

So, my level 17 Dark Elf Necromancer finally got tired of the dismal browns of Freeport.

500 gnolls...I thought they must be joking.

Anyone else done this?  One of the named gnolls (Dancoed of the Pine) is a level 18 3^^^ Heroic evil son of a bitch.  I tried him.  It wasn't pretty.

Any suggestions?  I even have the special gnoll strike thingy.  It pissed him off, but didn't slow him down at all.  My poor little spider went down like it was made of paper :(

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:07:23 PM

He is the only one you have to group for.  There are usually lots of people in Antonica, hopefully if you ask for help someone will come along.

For the 500 gnolls you should go to the bell at the Qeynos docks and enter one of those areas, I forget the name but it is an underground cave.  There are really low level gnolls in there that you can obliterate en masse and they count.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:24:44 PM

Nice to hear that he's the only one that requires a group.

100 gnolls down, 400 to go. Blackburrow is fairly good grinding right there in the entrance so far.  Decent cash drops, anyway.

Of course, selling the drops proved a challenge.  Had to go invis to sell so the guard wouldn't kill me.  He almost did the first time I tried to stroll into that little cabin down the street.

I've only seen two others in the area so far.  And they were 12 and 13.  Not very encouraging.

Anyway, I'm "Tiaquesar" on Oasis, so if anyone is ever around on there, I'd appreciate it.  But then, I play at weird hours being in a VERY different time zone :(

I just couldn't take Freeport anymore.  It's not just ugly.  The people are all assholes.  Someone please tell the game designers that there is a big difference between EVIL and ASSHOLE.  I really wanted to kill most of the quest givers.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:54:27 PM

I'm going to give this another chance. I doubt I'll last long though.

Just made a noob Swashbuckler for Qeynos/Good on Oasis. Name is "Arythan".
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:13:55 PM

Cool.  Maybe I'll see some of y'all around in around 400 gnolls or so.

Work sucks.  Need more game time :P

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 03:48:58 AM

Update:  I am at 307 gnolls ~sigh~

All of my copper is slowing me down.

Still have Dancoed of the Pine and Sarn the Wayfarer to slay.

Can't find Sarn anywhere.  Tried looking him up.  Tried searching those places.  No joy.

At least the others finally spawned.  Took down Towyn, Nantglas, and Crugybar all one right after the other.  Think they might be on the same spawn timer or something.

Getting VERY tired of gnolls.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:28:25 AM

Update: Cause I know y'all care.

Found Sarn.  Killed Sarn.

I am currently at 402 gnolls slain.  I hate gnolls.  I hate them a lot.

I am moving quite slowly, due to the umpteen million pounds of copper I am lugging around. 

98 gnolls to go.  And Dancoed, of course, the little unsoloable bastard.

Time to read and then crash.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:33:16 AM

I did betrayal 3 times.  It is MUCH easier now then it used to be; having to wait a week for ones soul shard thingy to clear up really made this quest a bitch!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 06:47:01 AM

Well, that's nice and all.

But this is thread is all about me, so let's keep it on topic, shall we?

:P

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 07:28:47 AM

I wandered over to the back entry to Blackburrow, near the paladin and his squire. There were a lot of gnolls there that were grey or green and were easy to kill en masse. Just shout for help with the NPCs, usually people will give you a hand.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:15:27 AM

Why don't you destroy that copper?

Is it possible to betray on the PVP server? I'd think about resubbing if I could move a Necro over to the Qeynos side.

Where does the quest start for FP->Q?
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 10:29:32 AM

You can move your necro to the Qeynos side but once you finished betrayal he'd become a conjuror. Both classes play about the same as I have a 21 necro and 61 conjuror. If anything it would appear the conjuror pets are a bit tougher but the necro has better spells to support their pets.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:48 PM

I don't destroy the copper because I'm a greedy Dark Elf.  Although I was considering it quite seriously for a few minutes last night.

No idea about the PVP betrayal possibilities.  And yeah, it makes sense but still kinda sucks that we have to change classes as part of the betray.

You can start your betrayal quest by talking to Stilus Graphium in East Freeport.  He is on the second floor of The Freeport Observer (the building to the far upper left).

He tells you to talk to Watcher Kenjedeau, who is in the central room of the Serpent Sewer.  Watch out in the sewers, there are some nasty critters there.  Best suggestion is to invis and just haul ass to Watcher Kenjedeau.  After you chat with him and confirm your dedication to the cause of better looking city zones...errr....I mean, goodness and light....he will transport you to an instance.

In the instance you have to fight two evil knights (lvl 15 IIRC).  Not a linked encounter, but very social.  After that, you have to kill a named level 16.  These guys were all cake, honestly.

Then you open a door and go to another room where you WILL die.  It is unavoidable and part of the quest.  You might want to take off your expensive gear before going through the door.

You will then be "revived" next to Executioner Selindi in the Commonlands at Turmoil Cemetary.  Be on your guard here.  I got jumped by skeletons as soon as I showed up.  Since I had no pet up due to my recent "death", I bit the dirt a second time.  Selindi tells you you have to chat with Vishra in Antonica.  Once you get to Vishra, you get the quest to slay a METRIC SHITLOAD of gnolls.

You will hate gnolls a lot.  I know I do.

Also, you can't hit level 18 until you complete the betrayal quest.  But if you have the experience to have hit 18, resummon your pet.  It WILL show up as 18, confirmed that last night too.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 05:01:57 AM

I am a Master Gnoll Hunter.

I have completed everything but Dancoed.

I'm out where he's supposed to be.

He ain't here.

This game WANTS me to hate it.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 06:24:42 AM

Ok, Dancoed spawned.  And killed me again.

Finally resorted to begging.  At last got a 63 pally to mentor me and we kicked his ass.

Now I can't find the guy after the next guy.

Of course, supposedly you end up killing him.

Someone probably recently did that, and I get to wait for him to respawn.

Fun times :P

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 10:41:13 AM

And you're doing all this because blue was not a skin tone choice for a high elf?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 03:51:11 PM

And you're doing all this because blue was not a skin tone choice for a high elf?

Actually, I stated my reasons quite clearly at the beginning of the thread.

When I created the character I had no intention of betraying Freeport.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 05:52:07 PM

Update:  I am now a happy citizen of Qeynos.

In retrospect, the quest wasn't THAT bad.

Except for Dancoed.

If I'm exiled and shit, the quest for betrayal should be completely soloable.

Also, I don't like being told: talk to XXX in Antonica.  I mean, honestly.  Give me SOMETHING.  Don't tell me to talk to someone in a ZONE.  That just makes me have to check a website somewhere, because I am NOT wandering the extent of Antonica hoping to find somebody.  Especially since one of those people is a roamer that people commonly have trouble finding.

More to come later.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 08:57:27 PM

A major thing about betrayal, and it is different than any other quest in any other game.  YOU FEEL SATISFIED.  Or at least I did.  You would think I would be a raid contestant, wouldn't ya.  How did other people feel with this?  How did you (OP)?  How can devs use this in future games?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 09:10:14 PM

Hell, yeah, I felt satisfied.

In its own weird way, that was the most satisfying quest I have ever completed in any game.

I had a clear goal, I knew it would be a BITCH to obtain it, and I complained appropriately.

But when all was said and done...if I could go back to before I decided to betray...I would make the same choice all over again.

My opinion:  More quests should be like this.  They should take a significant time investment, possibly (as in my case) broken up over several playing sessions.  I would prefer total soloability, of course, but other than Dancoed, I was happy.  When I was finished, I had truly accomplished something.  Not just picked up a couple silver and +2 to some designer-decided-important attribute or skill.

Entrance to areas, citizenship of more than one city (obviously not opposing faction cities), membership in a guild or militia...they should all have these types of quests.  Membership to a crafting guild should really look to EQ2's Choosing a Profession quest as well.  Was it a pain in the ass, yes!  Where the rewards well worth it...again, yes!

Well, lunch just ended early.  I'll discuss more later.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:36:00 PM by Xerapis »

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 09:15:00 PM

Well, that's nice and all.

But this is thread is all about me, so let's keep it on topic, shall we?

:P

hehe.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 12:46:51 AM

Also, in the process of my gnoll hunting...

I have 20 blackened iron relics and almost 40 paraffin sealed documents...

Should I be waiting to turn this in after I find a guild, or is there a benefit to turning them in myself?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 01:18:36 PM

Wait till you have a guild unless they are giving you inventory space problems.

You still get money, but they give your guild xp as well if you have one (not much, but some), so since the cash value is small anyway, you might as well wait.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 01:47:40 PM

You still get money, but they give your guild xp as well if you have one (not much, but some), so since the cash value is small anyway, you might as well wait.

They no longer give the guild XP.  All it does is build up your personal reputation points, used to purchase items from the city. 

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 07:08:48 AM

They no longer give the guild XP.  All it does is build up your personal reputation points, used to purchase items from the city. 

Since when? I know when KoS came out we handed in a ton of those things to take our guild from 40 to about 44. A few raids later and we hit guild level 50. I know people are also saving them up now in case guild level goes up from 50 to 60 in either the expansion or the adv. pack.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 07:19:29 AM

Dancoed was appalling.  You will need help since they cap your level.  He spawns only once a day, at least when I betrayed back at Xmas.  Good luck.
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 03:00:30 AM

Ooh boy, I betrayed about two or three weeks after EQ2 came out. Funny to see that Dancoed is still a pain in the ass to find and as well kill.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 12:50:23 AM

(I somehow posted in the wrong thread... fuck you it's 3:43am...)

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 10:04:47 AM

So long as this is bumped anyway...

There's a whole differentl betrayal system in the game now (since about April/May 2005).  It's basically just a long chain of quests:

1. An initial chain of betrayal quests.
2. Now an exile, you perform a bunch of "sabotage" quests that reward 1000-5000 faction until you finish going from -50,000 to +10,000 faction with the city you want to betray to.
3. Then a short chain of quests to become a citizen of the new city.

It can be a bit monotonous, but considerably more varied than having to kill a ton of gnolls.  Some of those betrayal quests are really pretty elaborate too.  A lot of instanced missions with content you won't see any other way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:08:14 AM by geldonyetich »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Betrayal is a Bitch!  
Jump to: