Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Ok. I'm back. But I might be dying. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ok. I'm back. But I might be dying.  (Read 17251 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 14, 2006, 12:55:51 AM

Alright, here's the lineup for the next few days:

My thoughts on the city of LA and the convention as a whole (my favorite and least favorite shit).
Hellgate: London.
Some stuff on my boys at Atlus and Nippon Ichi.
Some of my thoughts on the NCSoft stuff.
A piece on booth babes.

Here's what I have to say about Guitar Hero 2: Fucking awesome.

But right now I feel like shit. Total shit. That city is not safe.

But I want to play SiN and DJ Max Portable. If I don't show up for 36 hours, assume I don't want anything to do with the internet.

You wouldn't either if you just spent 4 days in a Real Life recreation of the Internet.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:59:31 AM

WB.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:05:33 AM

Glad to hear you made it home safe.

That city is not safe.
wtf happened?  :-(

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:06:25 AM

He inhaled.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:08:36 AM

The inhabitants of LA are not humans.  They are some sort of mutated metahuman thing, like the Ganados from Resident Evil 4.  The entire city was built from condensed pollution and plague, and our healthy human bodies rejected the harsh environment in a futile attempt to protect us from infection.

I can only hope there was no permanent damage.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 01:15:17 AM

Ya got no immune system, I tell ya. None. :P
Llava
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:40 AM

I believe that you are either superhuman or One Of Them.

For all I know, you might be a mass of pure disease only simulating a human in an attempt to lure us into that cesspit.

Thankfully, you live in a cleaner area.  We might have died sleeping in the heart of that place.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:41:12 AM

Yeah the smog and such can be bad. Ive heard though its actually gotten better though?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 02:59:41 AM

Yeah the smog and such can be bad. Ive heard though its actually gotten better though?
It's better than the 70s and 80s if that's what you mean. It's still the worst area for smog in the nation, though.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 04:13:40 AM

It's better than the 70s and 80s if that's what you mean. It's still the worst area for smog in the nation, though.

I just meant since the last time I was there. I was in and around LA and San Bernadino counties working counter-narcotics when the Rodney King riots went down.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 04:17:20 AM

L.A. is unfixable.

Even the psychic cat couldn't save it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 04:30:44 AM

I just meant since the last time I was there. I was in and around LA and San Bernadino counties working counter-narcotics when the Rodney King riots went down.
I'm not sure how much better it's gotten since the 90s. Air quality standards in California have continued to get tougher but the 90s also saw the rapid growth in SUV purchases most of which are classified as "light trucks" and have laxer pollution standards, though the government is trying to change that, so the decrease in car pollution was offset to some extent by the increase from SUVs and also minivans (also considered light trucks).
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 05:01:12 AM

I'm not sure how much better it's gotten since the 90s. Air quality standards in California have continued to get tougher but the 90s also saw the rapid growth in SUV purchases most of which are classified as "light trucks" and have laxer pollution standards, though the government is trying to change that, so the decrease in car pollution was offset to some extent by the increase from SUVs and also minivans (also considered light trucks).

Well given how many games Llava and Schild play it might not have been the smog that hurt them but just the exposure to sunlight and outside air.  :-D

Llava
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:44:49 AM

You are a filthy liar.

There was no sunlight.  Only a warped bastard child thereof.

The locals called it "sunblight".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 10:55:16 AM by Llava »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:38:20 AM

I warned you not to drink the water, Schild.  Arizona people are not used to water. 

Please don't die.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 12:25:28 PM

You are a filthy liar.

There was no sunlight.  Only a warped bastard child thereof.

The locals called it "sunblight".

From the Sunbane ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 12:36:52 PM

25% of the air pollution in California blows in from China.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 02:14:16 PM

Typical. Lou Dobbs would be furious that we even outsource air pollution.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 06:59:36 AM

When I moved out of LA, you could still see the smoldering ruins of several downtown areas, the vietnamese liquor store owner was laying dead, my mexican neighborhood was overrun with blacks who had burned down their grocery stores and had to venture into enemy territory to buy food, and we had to wear hoodies so they didn't notice we were white guys with long hair after we watched that guy get dragged out of his truck and beaten on live tv. Armed gangs walked openly on the streets (ostensibly and often honestly keeping peace in their neighborhoods) and cops were nowhere to be seen. I'm amazed the race war didn't escalate right there and then.

I moved a day after the Rodney King riots. I have no desire to ever step foot in that cesspit again, every day of the two years I lived there were filled with bizarre shit.

Sun? I remember mornings after a night's rain, you could actually see the skyscrapers from the burbs. Most days, just a shit brown haze.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 07:08:36 AM

I would love to see California before we move back to the UK, though not necessarily L.A.  Just not during a riot or anything, I guess.  I even entertained the thought of maybe Righ doing contracts or something for a couple of years so we could live there.  I absolutely prefer living near water.  Before we left the UK, we lived right up against the Solent in Portsmouth and I miss it terribly.  There is something very soothing about living along a coastline.  When we return, it's right back there for me! 

Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 08:15:44 AM

Before we left the UK, we lived right up against the Solent in Portsmouth and I miss it terribly.

I don't think I could ever miss pompey, but then I live in Southampton (and no, I don't 'do' football, I just don't like Pompey - although its better now the Tricorn centre has been flattened!!!!!)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 09:14:49 AM

Portsmouth is okay, though I like Southampton and other places as much.  I just find it relaxing to live near the water and since Righ was consulting with IBM, a couple miles away, it was the perfect location.  We lived in a nice marina, near the slipway, with a lovely view from all sides.  Isle of Wight across from our back garden and Portchester Castle out the front.  And the cost wasn't even too dear, though it might be by now.  It's not like we lived in Paulsgrove or anything.  (sorry if anyone is from there but it really is sucky)   smiley 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: Ok. I'm back. But I might be dying.  
Jump to: