Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Vista client screenshots and a new "trailer" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vista client screenshots and a new "trailer"  (Read 32027 times)
Wolf
Terracotta Army

on: May 11, 2006, 12:48:30 AM

The trailer can be found here.

The screenies are here along with EVE Classic comparisons.

Comment.

The movie is AWESOME. Black Sun Empire rocks. On the screenshots - GIFV MEGA.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:16:18 AM

I prefer the old for scorp and megathrone.

New Executioner is nice though
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:01:27 AM

Sexy.  Any chance of directional thrusters?  smiley
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:07:31 AM

The Megathron looks much more predatorial. Nice, very nice.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06:56 AM

My take was that the new textures are more metallic and shiny. I just hope the client performance doesn't take a hit. I love playing 1900x1220 in an agp system with no worries.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:10 AM

The devs are saying that you're going to be able to play the game at the same settings you are using now without taking performance hit. All you need is Vista.

To Llyse - I can't see how you can like the old greenish Mega. This one is tight. It looks like a Federate Issue/Vindicator but shinyer and in higher res :)
I can only guess the AWESOME level on the Federate Issue is going to be off the scale. And here's me hoping the Vind gets its own model :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 01:09:56 PM

My only gripe is that a lot of the textures are darker and it's tough to make out details on them. Otherwise.. man, those Amarr ships look awesome.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:47 PM

I think it look darker because the lights aren't coming from a light map any more, they're directional from a source (the sun).
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 02:28:11 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 02:48:54 PM

A new battlecruiser for Minnies? Oh my heart it does leap.  If it's a replacement for the Cyclone, then No, no no!  I like my frilled dino of doom.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:27:42 PM

I am considering a Cyclone in the next week or so- will that help with Level IIIs?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 03:29:16 PM

It's a new battlecruiser, not a replacement. All races are getting a new BC and a new battleship.
Edit: The Abaddon in the 'before and after' pics is actully the new Amarr battleship, for example (and it's rumoured to be the Arbitor's bigger brother i.e. a drone boat).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:33:11 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 03:56:46 PM

I am considering a Cyclone in the next week or so- will that help with Level IIIs?

I do L3s in it, so, yes!.

I don't own a battleship, too time-consuming to farm for the cash in Empire. The BC cost me 30 mil vs the 100+mil for a BS. Plus the skills & ammo are highly compatable with my cruiser, since both use Medium guns.  Biggest change for you will probably be that Cyclones are much more efficient shield tanks than armor tanks... you lose some of your toys and have some other skills to train up to make them really efficient.

And yay for a new battlecruiser.   I collect ships, too.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 10:19:54 PM

Yay, finally our ships get the proper amount of windows.

Also, looks like the Gallente are shifting from "sleek and sexy" to "badass." Perhaps it will be tied to storylines?

But bleh, the new Caldari BS is just another flying brick.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 03:08:26 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 08:10:40 AM

Fucking sweet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 08:13:51 AM

You know, I'd be happy with some freaking hotkeys... how about a hotkey to engage autopilot? that would be nice... and a hotkey for lock on current target, target nearest enemy, orbit, go-to, how about hotkeys for disabling and enabling, not just activation? I'm in click-hell.

Also, how do you people live without a widescreen? I'm going through the flash player guide and on the screenies I can't help but wince... so cluttered!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 08:22:03 AM

You can reassign the few things that do get hotkeys.  Autopilot toggle is default CTRL-A, I think.  All-stop is probably CTRL-Space.  I have those mapped to the D-pad of my Nostromo, though, so I really can't remember.

A target-nearest function, that wouldn't be abused.  If there is one thing that irritates me, though, is not having my custom distance in the context menu, meaning I have to select something and press the button in the overview instead of right-click and choose whatever I set as default.

I compensate for the clutter by running at a resolution/text size where I can hardly read anything, and hunching over the keyboard.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 08:25:41 AM

How about target storage/recall? ctrl-1 to store, 1 to reacll.. I can only imagine how fleet battles are... Oh well, I'll get more of an idea how to adapt once I really start the combat.. I've only destroyed an unarmed drone so far, tonight should be the first night I go out 'hunting'.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 10:07:13 AM

I'll do some Eve stuff once E3 clears up; we shot a bunch of photos of the devs showing us Vista. Yes, it's really pretty and really smooth.

From my notes:

* Kali in 2 months.

Big new stuff:
* Solar System view. 3-D view replacing the Scanner that lets you see stuff around the solar system you're currently in. Improved and more usable scanning. Blob size apparently influences how easily you can be detected. Also, there's a spore-like 'seamless' transition from ship view to solarsystem view to galaxy (map) view. Scanprobes will be changed and improved. They will now be 3-D aware and not a giant pain to use. No details on what that actually means.

* Along with the SS view will be more hidden complexes and hidden asteroid belts with goodies in them. This is to "enhance the exploration aspect".

* When ships explode, they no longer blow up into cargo cans. They will now leave a hulk that you must 'scavenge' for loot, parts and stuff. Scavenging will have skills associated with it. Hulks will last longer than current cargo cans, "a few hours".

* Booster system, where you take drugs to confer temporary bonuses at the expense of temporary drawbacks (e.g. +5% turret rate of fire, -2% velocity). Tolerance, so if you shoot up a lot, the bonuses won't last as long as the drawbacks, thus simulating addiction. This second bit is not finalized.

* Gas clouds and gas cloud mining, which are used in booster manufacturing. Gas clouds are all in 0.0.

* Reverse Engineering. Basically, using parts found in complexes or salvaged off of the hulks of your enemies, you use reverse engineering to fix them up and then 'assemble them'. The game mechanic way of describing it is that you 'put parts in a box' and seal it; this locks in a set of advantages and disadvantages. You can then drop the box into your ship ("like implants for ships"), conferring those bonuses and drawbacks to that one ship. The 'box' will be destroyed when your ship explodes. Skills associated with all of this, naturally.

The Vista graphical upgrade is slated for the fall.

Windows Vista support "some time in 2007".

Long term, they want to make planets controllable and colonizable, with planetary flight, sieging, bases. An RTS-like building game. When I asked about the old French MMORTS "Mankind", the guy I was talking to said "kind of".
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 10:16:34 AM

So the Reverse Engineering is the 'ship customization' stuff that had been mentioned previously?   I certainly hope so, because there had been folks speculating you'd be able to switch-around slots and such.  Doing something like allowing folks to take a 6/4/2 ship and turning it into a 4/3/5 seemed like a bad decision.

Yoru

Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 10:30:08 AM

It may be; reverse engineering definitely allows you to Customize your Ship, but it may not be Ship Customization.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 11:17:10 AM

Anyone have a hint about how the T2 lottery will look after Kali?
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 11:25:26 AM

I'll do some Eve stuff once E3 clears up; we shot a bunch of photos of the devs showing us Vista. Yes, it's really pretty and really smooth.

From my notes:

* Kali in 2 months.

Big new stuff:
* Solar System view. 3-D view replacing the Scanner that lets you see stuff around the solar system you're currently in. Improved and more usable scanning. Blob size apparently influences how easily you can be detected. Also, there's a spore-like 'seamless' transition from ship view to solarsystem view to galaxy (map) view. Scanprobes will be changed and improved. They will now be 3-D aware and not a giant pain to use. No details on what that actually means.

* Along with the SS view will be more hidden complexes and hidden asteroid belts with goodies in them. This is to "enhance the exploration aspect".

* When ships explode, they no longer blow up into cargo cans. They will now leave a hulk that you must 'scavenge' for loot, parts and stuff. Scavenging will have skills associated with it. Hulks will last longer than current cargo cans, "a few hours".

* Booster system, where you take drugs to confer temporary bonuses at the expense of temporary drawbacks (e.g. +5% turret rate of fire, -2% velocity). Tolerance, so if you shoot up a lot, the bonuses won't last as long as the drawbacks, thus simulating addiction. This second bit is not finalized.

* Gas clouds and gas cloud mining, which are used in booster manufacturing. Gas clouds are all in 0.0.

* Reverse Engineering. Basically, using parts found in complexes or salvaged off of the hulks of your enemies, you use reverse engineering to fix them up and then 'assemble them'. The game mechanic way of describing it is that you 'put parts in a box' and seal it; this locks in a set of advantages and disadvantages. You can then drop the box into your ship ("like implants for ships"), conferring those bonuses and drawbacks to that one ship. The 'box' will be destroyed when your ship explodes. Skills associated with all of this, naturally.

The Vista graphical upgrade is slated for the fall.

Windows Vista support "some time in 2007".

Long term, they want to make planets controllable and colonizable, with planetary flight, sieging, bases. An RTS-like building game. When I asked about the old French MMORTS "Mankind", the guy I was talking to said "kind of".

My nipples are hard. Gimme!!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 11:39:30 AM

Slobber!

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 11:42:43 AM

Man.

This is one of the things that they've wanted to do since release, but it's also something that requires lots of players to actually be fun. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out ways to implement even a quarter of this stuff.

I can think of so many ways for this to be awesome. I'm sure everyone else can too so I'm not going to bore anyone any longer.

To sum it up - YES.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 12:53:38 PM

So what was that MIRV-like missile launching weapon we saw in the video, anyone know?

And when we say Vista, are we just saying Vista as in Windows, or Vista as in the next expansion for EVE (like Kali)?

- Viin
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 01:44:03 PM

The starburst thingy was a Minmatar Titan megaweapon...I think.

Yoru

Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 05:58:25 PM

So what was that MIRV-like missile launching weapon we saw in the video, anyone know?

And when we say Vista, are we just saying Vista as in Windows, or Vista as in the next expansion for EVE (like Kali)?

There's two different things. Eve Vista is a graphical upgrade due out this fall. Eve for Vista is basically Eve with its graphics engine upgraded and rebuilt to work with DirectX 10, which is only available on Windows Vista.

It's confusing, but, well.. I'm not CCP.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 07:05:04 PM

Is Vista the new windows os in the making?

and will eve for vista run for xp and such older systems
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 07:27:27 PM

Gah, that's might make me upgrade to Vista...thought Vista is 64-bit Only, correct?

And damn, at least for the smaller ships, we finally get some flight behavior that doresn't make the ships look like they are on rails. Banks and Spins = Win.

And I lol'ed at the squadron of Ravens. They purposely made them look faster, hehe.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 07:39:02 PM

Is Vista the new windows os in the making?
Yes.

Gah, that's might make me upgrade to Vista...thought Vista is 64-bit Only, correct?
No.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 08:23:08 PM

And I lol'ed at the squadron of Ravens. They purposely made them look faster, hehe.

Just played around with QuickFit.  If I had Caldari Battleships IV, and equipped a Raven with 5 Overdrive Injector System II's and a Quad LiF Fueld I Booster Rocket I could get it's max Velocity up to 2036.62 m/s.  Wheeeeeeeeeeeee.

Yoru

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 09:49:50 PM

"Eve For Vista" is going to be DX10, which is Windows Vista-only according to Microsoft as of Feb '06. Windows Vista will be available both for 32-bit and 64-bit machines.

"Eve Vista", the graphical upgrade, will ship using DX9.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 06:23:46 AM

Woah, are you telling me they won't be upgrading past DirectX9 for anything but Vista?  That would pretty much well force every PC gamer to upgrade.  That is huge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Vista client screenshots and a new "trailer"  
Jump to: