Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E3? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E3?  (Read 11562 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 10, 2006, 05:11:31 PM

Since the frontpage is broken, I'll just type this up here.

I'm sitting in the press room right now and I'm fairly sure I don't get it. There's a lot of people typing a LOT of shit but there's nothing to type about. From the crappiest tiny fansite for a single console, all the way up to the largest of corporate sites, they're typing about stuff I obviously missed. Maybe I'm blind, not sure - but the show kinda sucks. I have a feeling that there might be SOMETHING worth seeing or swag worth STEALING, but if there is, well, I can't find it.

I played some Hellgate: London. It's... fun, I suppose. Early builds don't do much for me.

I went to a private Age of Conan thing. That was neat.

I played some WTF. That was quirky.

I ogled some booth babes. They had boobies.

But what else is there?

Maybe I'm not the type for previews. Maybe that Star Wars Galaxies thing has ruined me. Like I said, maybe I'm missing the point.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:15:16 PM

I can relate - I had a damn hard time trying to think of stuff to write about last year.  After a while it just feels like it's the same old thing.  Alcohol helps.

Tell us about Age of Conan!  The more I hear about that one the more interested I get.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:18:28 PM

You went and looked at the little dude behind the curtain didn't you?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:18:42 PM

Let's say this. You'll be interested in it. We have a couple pages of notes on it. But let me say this.

IT'S HARD TO GET EXCITED WHEN EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS A RABID FANBOI. I stopped caring 1 hour after I walked in the front door. They should pay ME to attend this wankfest.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:45:49 PM

That is pretty much how I felt last year at E3.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:49:17 PM

Yeah I felt that way when I went too. There's a lot to see but when it comes down to substance the entire show is lacking.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:00:24 PM

Let's say this. You'll be interested in it. We have a couple pages of notes on it. But let me say this.

IT'S HARD TO GET EXCITED WHEN EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS A RABID FANBOI. I stopped caring 1 hour after I walked in the front door. They should pay ME to attend this wankfest.

Haha, next year, when i have the money to fly to the United States, i'll attend E3 with you and mock the fanbois with frightening efficiency. Until then, GET BACK TO WORK DAMMIT!

Heart

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 06:00:51 PM

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 06:06:11 PM

I thought the point of that article was that people who run half-assed websites that barely report game news have a right to go to E3 because they're all of a sudden serious journalists doing their job for the public, but the fuckers the work for Best Buy and EBgames are overcrowding the show and need to stay home cause they're ruining everything.  Maybe I'm just misreading something though.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 06:09:28 PM

I thought the point of that article was that people who run half-assed websites that barely report game news have a right to go to E3 because they're all of a sudden serious journalists doing their job for the public, but the fuckers the work for Best Buy and EBgames are overcrowding the show and need to stay home cause they're ruining everything.  Maybe I'm just misreading something though.

That too!!

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 06:09:45 PM

EB Stopped getting employees into the show 2-3 years ago. So solli!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 07:43:11 PM

Wrong. Both EB and Gamestop are here as "Priority Buyers." Maybe canucks aren't allowed in.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:30:27 PM

Our local CompUSA had 25 tickets.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:37:52 PM

Yeah I'm getting the same feeling of ennui sitting at home both personally and from the hundreds and hundreds of articles I've been combing over. Sure lots of the articles are written as if something interesting and exciting has been announced or shown ("oooh look at the screenies!", "wow Microsoft announced a wireless steering wheel isn't that like the coolest thing!?") but it really hasn't. Sure at the personal level things there are things that are interesting if you happen to be excited about a certain game but there just really isn't anything Earth shattering happening at this year's E3. There's also the whole "overload" problem that's plagued these sorts of shows since at least the Comdex days -- where after a while many computer companies simply stopped going because their messages were being drowned out by the thousands of other companies saying the same things (plus it got really really expensive) and moved to more focused trade shows. E.g. Seybold became the place where all the big computer publishing news was announced though it too has declined when major companies like Apple stopped going.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:15:06 PM

There's just more effective ways for companies to get their message out rather than just shove everybody into one building for a few days and let them try to shout over each other.  Isn't that why we have the Internet, and streaming videos, and shit?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '06  |  Topic: E3?  
Jump to: