Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Wednesday downtime?? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wednesday downtime??  (Read 4285 times)
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

on: May 09, 2006, 05:20:07 AM

I heard in chat this weekend about extended downtime on Wednesday? When does it start and what is the duration? Is there news posted somewhere?

Zipper Zee (confused as usual)

Zipper Zee - space noob
TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:47:31 AM

The game client has EVE headlines displayed down the right hand side of the character selection screen - the annoucement should be there (plus various ingame news).

You can see the same kind of thing online through the "player news center" area on the EVE website, although you may need to login...

http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1134&tid=1

extended downtime wednesday, may 10th, 09:00-21:00 for database hardware and software upgrades

We're upgrading our Database hardware to the new IBM xSeries x460 and migrating to Microsoft SQL Server 2005. The hardware will start out with pairs of Dual-Core Intel XEON 3.0 GHz CPU's with 64 GB of RAM, and will eventually be scaled up even further. This upgrade will bring the entire database layer, from end-to-end, up to 64-bit.

We are maintaning the current hardware redundancy, there will be an identical machine running in a hot-standby configuaration able to take over the active database server's duties within seconds in the event of a failure.

Additionally, the xSeries allows us to chain together more of these beasts to have up to 32 processors (equivalent to 64 processors if Dual-Core). This allows us to easily throw more hardware at the problem. Our inner-geeks are, suffice to say, quite happy :)

We expect the performance increase resulting from the upgrade to our database layers to be "considerable".

Due to the high-risk nature of this upgrade, please be sure to set long skill training. We are estimating a downtime of 12 hours, but there is the possibility it will run longer. We have tested this migration several times inhouse, but as you know, Mr. Murphy might decide to pay a visit.

edit button addict.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:55:16 AM

Thanks, I searched on the EVE site this morning and didnt find anything. Then again, I don't think I was logged in....

Zipper Zee - space noob
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:23:00 AM

Wonder if this will make copying bookmarks less like water torture?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:27:16 AM

Wonder if this will make copying bookmarks less like water torture?

Actually I yhink thats intentional, the devs are always giving off vibes of how they didnt intend to have bm's as instas and safespots
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:08:14 PM

How *do* you copy bookmarks? And can you pass them from person to person?

Zipper Zee - space noob
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 12:27:50 PM

select the bookmark in people & places with a left click.
release the button, hold shift, left click it again and hold. drag to your items hangar or your ship's cargo. release
(not trying to talk to you like you're a 1 button mouse mac user, but you can't just shift click and drag it, you have to select first, THEN shift click/drag. Lots of people mess this up)

It takes 1-5 seconds for that single bookmark to show up. Sometimes more.

To trade bookmarks between people, I use shuttles. CTRL - A or CTRL clicking, Shift clicking one thing, holding shift and clicking something else - all those work in eve for selecting lots of stuff. Select all the bookmarks you want to copy, release everything, then shift click + drag to an empty shuttle's hold. Prepare to wait 10-300 minutes, depending on the system traffic and how many bookmarks you're copying.

Also, be sure to know exactly how many you're copying so you can verify that it copied them all.

This is why people price region insta sets in the millions of isk. You basically can't do anything for like 2 hours to copy 600-800 instas, except sit in a station and wait.

Anyways, dump what you want into a shuttle and put that shuttle on escrow to whoever you wanted to give the instas to. You can use a more expensive ship if you want, but hey. Shuttles.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 01:44:50 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are insta sets?

-Nikelaos in Eve

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:50 PM

Instas are bookmarks you can warp to that drop you right on top of stations, gates, etc. A set of instas is usually all (or many) relevant bookmarks for a given area or region.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 02:59:20 PM

http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1134&tid=1

Downtime has been moved back to Thursday.
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 03:01:50 AM

I've also recently discovered that you can only copy/move bookmarks to/from your own hanger or cargo and _not_ from a corp hanger!

Also when dropping BM's into a jet can for someone else (if you find yourself in that position) often not all of the bookmarks will show in the can (not sure if a 'select all' will get the invisible ones or not...) the giveaway is that the jetcan won't pop after you have removed the visible BM's from it - to fix this close and reopen the can and some more will appear (its possible you might have to do this a few times if there are a large number of BM's in there)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:14:25 AM

Speaking of that, when I decide to venture out into the great beyond, can I buy BMs off of one of you guys? I'm particularly interested in instajump bookmarks so I don't have to make my own, it sounds like a real PITA.

Also, when you say 'set destination' to auto-waypoint you, is there a way for it to use your bookmarks to save time? I can see a trip using instajumps taking about half as long since you don't have to deal with the close distance -- even in a shuttle last night it was taking me about 20 seconds per jump.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:36:48 AM

I always do:

1 - set destination
2 - use my bookmark to warp to gate
3 - turn autopilot on while in warp
4 - wait until my ship is jumping and turn autopilot off
5 - once in the next system, use bookmark to warp to gate
6 - turn on autopilot while in warp
7 - turn off autopilot when jumping
8 - repeat 5-7 until you get there

No way to do it automagically. Macros, maybe.

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:21:42 AM

Is this all simply a work around to the fact that manually warping to a SG gets you closer to the SG than autopilot jumping across systems?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:22:29 AM

Is this all simply a work around to the fact that manually warping to a SG gets you closer to the SG than autopilot jumping across systems?
Exactly.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 09:23:44 AM

Correct. Close enough you can instantly gate after you drop out of warp instead of having to close... closing = time + risk

I'm doing it right now to save time, but ultimately I'm going need to do it to reduce risk.. I can't stay in >0.5 forever. You turn autopilot back on so it auto-gates you right away after your warp jump.
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:57:45 AM

Its worth mentioning that a mobile warp disruptor (or bubble as they are frequently called) will totally fuck up your insta if placed correctly

Fortunately you only see these in 0.0 space

If want to include 'bubble protection' in your insta sets what you can do is either create a safespot within scanner distance of the gate (and set your instajump from there) so you can scan the gate and instantly warp to the bm and jump out or create a bm something like 400km off the gate at an odd angle (so you dont get caught by a bubble) so you can visually scan the gate

The 400km bm is more useful if youre scouting for someone else coming through the gate as you are obviously seeing whats actually there rather than the scanners shapshot - bear in mind that at 400km an Interceptor can still get to you in like 20sec so make sure you are either in an agile ship or stay aligned to a warp out point if your not in a position to defend yourself.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 03:42:30 AM

so a interdictor bubble has a 400km radius?!
nasty
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 04:48:04 AM

nasty

Dont confuse mobile warp distruptors with Interdictor probes

While I believe they have the same effect the interdictor probes are have a short duration and can be deployed instantly (they are fired from a launcher), bubbles need to be anchored (which takes a few mins) and are permanent until unanchored or destroyed.

Not sure what the diameter of a disrupt probe is but the bubbles come in small, medium and large - sizes are 5km 15km and 45km

The 400km bm is simply so you are far enough away from the gate so you cant be sniped and have a bit of warning before an inty can get to you, plus at an odd angle its far enough out that your warp trajectory wont intersect with the bubble*

*to get caught in a bubble your trajectory need only pass though any point of the bubble (i.e. it doesnt matter if your exit point is in the bubble or not) and your trajectory is infinite! - this is why you'll often see bubbles placed a distance behind a gate (or mid system if a system only has 2 gates to catch people warping from gate to gate!) so those warping to the gate will get pulled out of warp within the bubble (and far too far from the gate to jump) since bubbles also warp scramble you have to fly clear of the bubble before you can warp away (usually your 'hosts' will web you to prevent this)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 07:37:11 AM by 5150 »
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 04:55:42 AM

nasty
Good thing that I am flying minmatar, fast ships for teh escape and whatnot ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 05:15:35 AM

Cool thanks heaps for the lesson friend!
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 06:05:46 AM

nasty

20km

But bubbles will pull you into them if you're inline with the bubble and wherever your intended destination was.  Make scanning BMs 200km+ out and you'll be fine.
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 03:43:29 PM

Looks like the downtime has been extended another 8 hours-

Service down from 2006.05.11 9:00 to 2006.05.12 05:00

Glad I trained multi-day skills!

Really disappointed though- I was looking forward to exploring our new home  cry

Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 03:46:14 PM

I haven't started twitching yet, but I am pretty hooked. I'm heading to a pub this evening so it should help.

Here's hoping that the upgrade speeds up the market interface and hubs like Jita.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Wednesday downtime??  
Jump to: