Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Weapon Platform Choices 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weapon Platform Choices  (Read 3014 times)
Toast
Terracotta Army

on: May 02, 2006, 11:15:33 AM

I'm running a combat-oriented Amarr, so I've been using lasers so far.

Lasers haven't impressed me too much. I was thinking about making a switch to missile based frigates and skills to try that out.

Looking for some thoughts on the different weapon systems:

What is most effective for L1-L2 PVE missions? I'm assuming missiles win here.

What is more effective later on?

How about PVP considerations?

Which is the most fun to operate (considering power, cost, maintenance, etc.)?

Thanks!

A good idea is a good idea forever.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:50:19 AM

I'm told large-scale fleet PvP is all turrets because of the lag between firing and damage on missiles. Makes sense.

Solo and small group PvP seems to skew heavily towards missiles, at least in my limited experience. The damage doesn't drop off with range which is a big win.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:53:48 AM

Lasers can be rockin' once you get used to them.  I didn't like them at first either. 

Mind posting your setups?
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:02:40 PM

I'm at work, but here's what I know:

Punisher Frigate
3x dual modal light laser I s
Frequency crystals are 2x Microwave S and one X-ray S

I sometimes fit a gyroscope stabilizer, but I've had powergrid issues with my armor-tanking setup (i'm 15 days old player)

I usually try to get between 5-8km to engage because I do absolutely no damage at longer range.

dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:09:13 PM

Oh, ok. You need to get used to swapping out the frequency crystals as you close. Ammo swapping for lasers is important. And finding another microwave will help, too, so your range is matched.

For frigates, I have not found charges to be a significant isk burden versus crystals. It is annoying once you start engaging the cruisers while you're in a frigate, because they chew up lots of ammo and there's only so much you want to carry around at once. I don't use missiles, though. I do understand they're a little more expensive. Maybe particularly if you use heavies versus frigate-sized targets? Someone with a missile boat help me here.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:31:32 PM

I should be swapping crystals, but I have been having problems with my Punishers exploding.  Eats into my inventory a bit.  Anyway, I have moved up to 2 x medium beam lasers with radio.  Despite the name, there are small laser turrets named "medium" and they use small crystals.  These beams do good damage even with radio and have a good range... 16km?  Memory fuzzy.  Once I get my act together, I'll keep some short-range crystals in the hold for when things get closer, but generally speaking I don't need to do that when running L1 missions.  A good number of NPC ships can't hit you for shit at 16km.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 01:40:47 PM

I sort of like closer range combat because it's easier to pick up the cargo cans.

I had a better laser setup, but my first punisher blew up. Unfortunately, i had a bunch of good crystals and extra lasers in the hold (lesson learned).

I've been seriously thinking about training up Caldari frigates just so I can try missile boats. But, I have so many other skills to get that that approach may be sub-optimal (plus wasteful of my Amarr Frigate IV skills.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:42:31 PM

You shouldn't be having problems with punishers exploding in level 1's.  Er... mind posting your complete setup?  smiley

Switching to Mediums (small size) is a good idea, as is making sure that you're using the same crystal for each gun at the same time.  You know about beam lasers vs. pulse?  Beam = longe range, pulse = short range.  

My mission punisher setup, from hazy memory:
H: 3x Medium (pulse) lasers I, Small Nos
M: Best AB you can find, Best named web you can find (well, not the one thats worth ten mil.  sell that one)
L: Named Small armor rep (get a T2 version if you have the easy-to-get skills for it, they're not that expensive and so worth it), and... um... I'd use an Adaptive Nano Membrane (corp has a bpo to make em) and an 200 or 400mm armor plate (depending on what fits for you).  
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:02:17 PM

What Raging Turtle said. Mediums (small) for the win, and it is possible to be close range and use Mediums (small).
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:30:54 PM

I only had one Punisher blow up.  I got swarmed by drones in a mission. I was planning on warping out to repair, but suddenly I discovered that L1 NPCs actuall DO warp scramble.

At the time, I had no armor or shield tanking. I got carved up pretty easily as a result.

Thanks very much for the guidance. I'm looking forward to refitting my ship this evening. I'll stick with lasers and maybe make a Caldari alt.

Ketty
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 08:23:10 PM

IF you want to try missiles, I'm a big fan of the Amarr Inquisitor.  Its stats are pretty close to that of a Caldari kestrel, but it takes damage much better, IMHO.  It's very viable as a rocket launcher knifer fighter.  Close in < 2000m, orbit and just rip 'em up.  With T2 Armor Repper and enough extra juice mods, you can lay down a really impressive amount of smack.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 09:47:32 PM

Using missiles against smaller targets is...weird. Using painters to enlarge the target's signature helps a LOT more than webbing it to slow it down. Also, getting in a position where the target is flying towards you (as opposed to strafing you) ups the damage a bit also.

Plus, if you use missiles, frigates don't normally get in range to shoot you (this only applies to cruiser and up).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 02:06:23 AM

IF you want to try missiles, I'm a big fan of the Amarr Inquisitor.  Its stats are pretty close to that of a Caldari kestrel, but it takes damage much better, IMHO.  It's very viable as a rocket launcher knifer fighter.  Close in < 2000m, orbit and just rip 'em up.  With T2 Armor Repper and enough extra juice mods, you can lay down a really impressive amount of smack.

I'll second that, I've had both Inquisitors and Punishers, and liked them both, although I goi more for range.  Also, the Tormentor with cargo modules and an AB is nice for pre-industrial trade/courier mission running, although useless in combat.  (For less than 30K isk, the Tormentor gives over 400m3 of cargo space.  No industrial, but for moving crap in safe space at low skill, it's a nice deal)

The problem I have with missiles is wastage.  Targets at L1 can blow up real fast, leaving me shooting at space.  FoF missiles make some weird targeting choices, so that might not be a solution, either.  Biggest help has been pushing my skills to where I can handle Tech II gear (other than weapons, which take a lot more training)  Currently have a Merlin with 2x launchers and 2x hybrid mid-size autocannon (can't remember details ATM, not much play time lately) with ammo loads spanning all 4 damage types at 18-12K initial ranges, and Tech II shield extenders.  This has been chewing through L1 missions with no sweat, although I haven't done the World's Collide mission with it yet.  That mission has been the real ship-killer at L1.

When I have more play time, I want to try out some drone combat, myself.  I think Gallente has the better ships for that?

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:09:36 AM

Update:
I fitted out 2x of the medium pulse laser I's. I couldn't do all three as the third one went above my available powergrid (even after adding a powergrid boost module).

I engage inside 5km, and the pirates were going down very fast. I'm pretty satisfied now. Thanks for the help!

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:01 AM

When I have more play time, I want to try out some drone combat, myself.  I think Gallente has the better ships for that?

Yes, the space french love their drones.  Drone skills are useful for all the races though.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 10:05:25 AM

Yes, the space french love their drones.  Drone skills are useful for all the races though.

Is there an Minmatar ship with a decent drone bay ? I could not find one for the life of me.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:46:13 AM

Drones you want to go with Space French.

Get Gallante Frig to 4, cruiser.

Get a Vexor. Make sure you can fit drone link augs.

For an easily reachable goal, look up templates for a nos dom (gallente battleship). You can get into one of those pretty easy and be a powerhouse.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:50:13 AM by Nija »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 11:48:23 AM

Is there an Minmatar ship with a decent drone bay ? I could not find one for the life of me.

Depends how you define "Decent".  Cyclone has enough for me to stick in 5 drones as a mix of heavy/ light scouts.  Rupture I was hauling I believe 6 light scouts.   To me that's a decent amount of drones, as my primary damage is guns. The drones are for Frig mopup & the folks who get inside my guns. (and later will be for webbing / repair as I get into those skills.)  They're never going to be your primary damage source, and if you want them to be you have to fly French.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 01:56:16 AM

Depends how you define "Decent".  Cyclone has enough for me to stick in 5 drones as a mix of heavy/ light scouts.  Rupture I was hauling I believe 6 light scouts.
Thank you, never thought about looking ant the drone bay of the cyclone. Rupture sounds good as well, time to get me some drone skills.

They're never going to be your primary damage source, and if you want them to be you have to fly French.
I have the feeling that an artillery cyclone with drones for taking out frigates/interceptors would be a pretty decent Mission-Runner/General PvE ship.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Weapon Platform Choices  
Jump to: