Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Yet more noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet more noob questions  (Read 1535 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: May 01, 2006, 10:20:51 AM

So picked this up and gave it a go for the first time this weekend. Started as Caldari (does it make any difference beyond the starting skills you get?), ran the tutorial and then bought a Condor and spent some time taking npc pirate hunting missions. Certainly makes a change from the diku-world.

Inevitable noob questions.....

Is there any way to queue skills for training?

So far I'm mostly just training learning skills unless I actually need to unlock something, is there anything else important I should be doing early on in the skills process?

Does a system's security rating affect the missions or npc pirates you get there at all? Or is all just about the agent level? So far I'm blowing pirates away with one or two missles before they ever get in range. I appreciate that the death penalty is pretty harsh in eve - but this seems a little easy ;) .

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:32:03 AM

Is there any way to queue skills for training?

Nope. They need to be manually changed through the game client.

So far I'm mostly just training learning skills unless I actually need to unlock something, is there anything else important I should be doing early on in the skills process?

The earlier you get your learning skills done, the better. However, they won't really help much if you don't end up playing for decent amount of time (like several months). My suggestion would be to get all the basic learning skills to 3, then work on other skills- Engineering, Electronics, Gunnery, etc. Once you have the skill set to fly a cruiser, then you can make enough money to afford the advanced learning books (4.5M per) and can start working on your learning skills again.

Does a system's security rating affect the missions or npc pirates you get there at all?

In general, the lower the security rating, the better the reward from the agent. NPC pirates get progressively tougher the lower you go in Security rating- you won't see anything but frigates until about .4 or so; Battlecruisers show up in .2 (and I THINK occasionally in .3), and you can get all sorts of stuff in .1- interceptors, multiple battlecruisers, even the rate battleship. 0.0 is even tougher if/when you get there.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:54:12 PM

Does a system's security rating affect the missions or npc pirates you get there at all? Or is all just about the agent level? So far I'm blowing pirates away with one or two missles before they ever get in range. I appreciate that the death penalty is pretty harsh in eve - but this seems a little easy ;) .
Missile frigates definitely make the game "easy mode" in the early going. That is until they start firing missiles back at you, and from longer range than your missiles...
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:42:53 PM

only to back what others have said, early lvl 1 lvl 2 missions and you think your a walking god, guess what? your not. Lotta skills to back fill, get right with where you are before you move on, welcome to eve. the fun part is if your pvp.ing and can bring something different to the table. be supprising, be different, don't be predictable

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Yet more noob questions  
Jump to: