Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Rob Pardo named to the Time 100: The People Who Shape Our World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rob Pardo named to the Time 100: The People Who Shape Our World  (Read 3588 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: April 30, 2006, 11:49:38 PM

Rob Pardo, the lead designer on both World of Warcraft and Warcraft III, was named to the Time 100: The People Who Shape Our World.
Rob Pardo
Architect of Virtual Worlds
By LEV GROSSMAN

Posted Tuesday, Apr. 25, 2006

There's a country of 6 million people that's not on any map. It's called World of Warcraft, and it's a virtual country, a computer-generated fantasy environment that you can access, for a monthly subscription fee, via the Internet. It's also one of the most immersive and successful video games ever created, and it could be the future of electronic entertainment. Rob Pardo, 35, vice president of game design for Blizzard Entertainment (although minor deity would also be an applicable title), led the team that designed World of Warcraft, which involved generating from scratch history, geography, anthropology and ecology of a fully realized fantasy world spread over two continents. The game's 6 million fee-paying players can slay monsters, go on quests and even perform everyday tasks like fishing, cooking and tailoring. If World of Warcraft—aficionados call it just WoW—gets any more popular, it may be up for a seat in the U.N.

Pardo didn't invent this kind of game (which enthusiasts refer to as "massively multiplayer"); he merely perfected it. It takes an obsessive mind to make sure there's something interesting going on everywhere in an entire world, all the time, for both newbies and veteran players. If anything, he's almost too good: some players have a tendency to confuse their virtual lives with their real ones. WoW is so addictive that among gamers, it's known by the nickname Warcrack.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:28:49 AM

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0661094/

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:49:06 AM

Aficionados call if WoW.

Lawl.

I can't think of anything more depressing than Time trying to be either on the "inside" or "clever."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 01:55:21 PM

I thought "Don Pardo" too, but the image in my mind was Rob Roddy for some reason.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:06:14 AM

I thought "Don Pardo" too, but the image in my mind was Rob Roddy for some reason.

Yeah, I was thinking Rob Roddy too.  Strange.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:33:16 PM

Aficionados call if WoW.

Lawl.

I can't think of anything more depressing than Time trying to be either on the "inside" or "clever."

Time invariably sounds like someone's "hip" grandma whenever it tries to talk about anything invented after 1985.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 07:12:36 AM

"Bart, would you like to play the basketball? You can be Harvey Globetrotter. Watch out for the Shaq Attack!"

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:05:35 AM

Rob Pardo definetly had a hand in shaping my world.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Rob Pardo named to the Time 100: The People Who Shape Our World  
Jump to: