Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Nintendo Revolution -> Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution -> Wii  (Read 11140 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: April 27, 2006, 09:35:43 AM

Nintendo announced the official name of their upcoming console and it's called "Wii", pronounced "we", as in "Wheeee! WTF!?"

http://revolution.nintendo.com/  (Flash page)

Introducing...Wii.
As in "we."
While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.
Wii will break down that wall that separates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their gams...and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?
Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone.
Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.
And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.
So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.
Because it's really not about you or me.
It's about Wii.
And together, Wii will change everything.

Edit: Apparently it's not "Nintendo Wii" but just "Wii" as in, "I'd like to buy a Wii please", or "Do you have anymore Wiis?"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 05:42:52 AM by Trippy »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:37:30 AM

It's about Wii.
And together, Wii will change everything.

I think I've been to that website.  It was disgusting.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:45:55 AM

Durrrrrrr...I keep forgetting we actually have an industry news subforum now. I may have posted it like 2 minutes before you did, but you actually posted it in the right forum, so yours stays, mine goes.

Also, what a terrible name.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:50:22 AM

I want some of what they are smoking. That has to be one of the worst brand names EVAR.

I think I'll continue to call it the Revolution.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:31 AM

Apparently using the double "i" is the new hip way of naming things, a la the Intel "Viiv" technology.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:12:15 AM

I'll keep calling it the Rev, not ゐ.  Or ゐい.  Whatever.  Gimme my Zelda.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:28 AM

What a confusing, uncompelling name for a product. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 11:44:36 AM

We had a product called "WEI" (pronounced "whee") for a while, "WEI" being "Windows Explorer Integration".  It was eventually changed to "EXP" for "Explorer Plugin".  I liked "WEI" better.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:45 AM

We had a product called "WEI" (pronounced "whee") for a while, "WEI" being "Windows Explorer Integration".  It was eventually changed to "EXP" for "Explorer Plugin".  I liked "WEI" better.   tongue

Stuck between a douche and a turd.  evil

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:51:57 PM

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:00:27 PM

Nintendo Go was better and it still was horrible. GameCube 2 would be best.  Nintendo should learn from Sega's naming blunders.

"Me am play gods"
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:03:05 PM

For a long time there we’ve been discussing the name and there was a lot of talk, and this is what the committee came up with. It was a large group of people that came up with the name.

Explains a lot that does.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 01:13:54 PM

Yep, design by committee will always be horribly obtuse, unrefined and at best, bland. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:27 PM

And Wii, the word, is W-i-i, and the two I’s represent both people and the controllers.  So, it’s really not about this sort of tongue in cheek.

So should it really be called WHY?

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 01:56:44 PM

That name is fucking clownshoes.  I hope they decide to keep it as the Revolution when it hits the states.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 02:04:16 PM

I thought they had a good brand with "Prime", they should stick with that.

"Me am play gods"
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

It is totally retarded, but then again I'm no longer Nintendo's target audience. Gaming for the masses, no thanks, I'll take my niches.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 03:11:22 PM

It's been too long since I could use this.

NSFW? WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Edit: Oh, and it's official, Nintendo thinks it's the new Apple.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 08:01:32 PM

The PR guy does have a point.  Those other names are all really stupid, too.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 10:13:23 PM

From craig-ign's blog (Warning IGN link!):

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 11:31:05 AM

The whole purpose of the name is to get people talking about it.  It doesn't matter if the average person doesn't know what the hell Wii is, or how to say it.  As long as they're like, "holy crap I want that."  Even if they aren't, it's distinctiveness leaves an impression in people's minds.  That's good for enticing the mainstream gamer, and making sure Mom and Dad have an idea of what to get Timmy.  I just had an exam, if the foregoing is idiotic please forgive.  I have to go now.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 03:19:08 PM

It's been too long since I could use this.

NSFW? WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Edit: Oh, and it's official, Nintendo thinks it's the new Apple.

That's pretty much what I though of. Nintendo Gonads and Strife.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 12:46:53 PM

The whole purpose of the name is to get people talking about it.  It doesn't matter if the average person doesn't know what the hell Wii is, or how to say it.  As long as they're like, "holy crap I want that."  Even if they aren't, it's distinctiveness leaves an impression in people's minds.  That's good for enticing the mainstream gamer, and making sure Mom and Dad have an idea of what to get Timmy.  I just had an exam, if the foregoing is idiotic please forgive.  I have to go now.

I actually agree with you.  Wii-todd-did name or not (nyuk nyuk), it won't be stopping me from getting some Wii on release day.  When does Nintendo release their Wii, anyway?  I hope it's soon.

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 12:57:40 PM

I actually agree with you.  Wii-todd-did name or not (nyuk nyuk), it won't be stopping me from getting some Wii on release day.  When does Nintendo release their Wii, anyway?  I hope it's soon.

Latest I heard on the rumour mill was November in the US.

Wiiiiii!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 02:40:03 AM

It might already be, depending on people's accents....

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 02:54:57 AM

It might already be, depending on people's accents....
I read somewhere that the "we" sound is hard for the Japanese to pronounce. Dunno if that's true or not but if so, WTG there Nintendo.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 09:25:25 AM

Erm...Japanese has both Ws and "ee" sounds, so I don't see a problem.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 02:22:33 PM

If they can get Miyamoto to say "Wii" at E3 without someone laughing they'll be fine.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006, 03:06:29 PM

If they can get Miyamoto to say "Wii" at E3 without someone laughing they'll be fine.

They would have to keep me from laughing. If I was around Shigsy and he said "Wii" whoever was in front of me would get hit with a face (or back of the head) full of vodka.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #29 on: April 30, 2006, 06:15:13 PM

Wii will break down that wall that separates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their gams...and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

But will it put us in touch with other people's gams? I'm a dame with nice gams, and I prefer that other people are not in touch with them.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 10:13:11 PM

I read somewhere that the "we" sound is hard for the Japanese to pronounce. Dunno if that's true or not but if so, WTG there Nintendo.

You might be thinking of "tee", but if so it's really that they don't have a syllable for it.  There is a hiragana for "wee", though, which is what I posted in my initial unproductive comment.  The pair afterward is "wee" with an extra "ee" after it... just in case we are supposed to pronounce it.

Schild, there will be cash money for you if you say to Miyamoto: "Can I see your Wii?"  It must be recorded.

Nix, what's up with the fucking cats?

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 10:55:09 PM

Nix, what's up with the fucking cats?

It's him and his kitty. I think it's cute.  Hello Kitty

But will it put us in touch with other people's gams? I'm a dame with nice gams, and I prefer that other people are not in touch with them.

But variety is always nice.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 05:34:55 AM

Straz knows me all too well. It is my pussy. He's soft. Yeg touchy touchy?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 07:26:24 AM

My almost-10 yr old son hates it.  He's calling it the Nintendo Whatever.

I kind of like calling it the Wii-Wii.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 01:58:06 PM

It's him and his kitty. I think it's cute.  Hello Kitty

That's awesome, Car Booger.  Maybe you two could use one of these:

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Nintendo Revolution -> Wii  
Jump to: