Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AOL does... HUH? WHAT? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AOL does... HUH? WHAT?  (Read 2739 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: June 10, 2004, 01:27:56 PM

AOL Unveils new suite of Business Class AIM Services

So the gist is that AOL is now offering a set of services built off of AIM for business users, such as audio conferencing, as well as sharing software programs like Photoshop or Microsoft Office for collaborative work. Sounds great doesn't it? There are a few (very few) options for doing this kind of stuff, though the audio is probably easier to find, even for free (Teamspeak in a pinch).

However, as usual, AOL gets crazy.

The audio-conferencing service costs about 15 cents a minute per user. The presentation aspect of the service will cost an additional 33 cents a minute per user.

Ummm, I think most businesses can get long-distance calls for substantially lower than 15 cents a minute; even as a home user, I pay $25 a month for unlimited long distance and a good deal on international. The presentation part might be worth 33 cents a minute, but I have to think it can be done just as well for less.

Why would any business pay AOL those charges when they could just pick up the phone and conference for much less?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 01:35:45 PM

Any business that looks to AOL for technology solutions deserves to go fucking broke. I STILL have users for the product I support that use AOL as an ISP and use the AOL browser (which doesn't play nice with most of Internet, seemingly). It is like the NSA deciding to buy all their computing power from Gateway or Dell.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 02:09:56 PM

You didn't get the memo on Dell moving some of their support jobs back to the US so they could comply with NSA/ITAR/Defense regulations?

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:25:19 PM

My wife has been looking for a way to do good audio for free for awhile and has pretty much given up.  Most of the stuff won't work for shit past a router.  With MSN they can share webcam video with no problem, but the voice does not work at all.  She won't use teamspeak because the quality of the audio is not good enough for her.  I figure we could setup a teamspeak server somehow (I don't know how) and that might work better, but I don't know if we have the bandwidth anymore with our cable line generally playing 2 mmogs and a third downloading stuff and running video feed over MSN.  It also does not help that I can't really troubleshoot the whole thing as her friend in california has the attention span of a gnat when it comes to technical problems and will change the topic a few minutes into any tech help attempt.

Is there any good peer to peer software out there for voice and/or webcam video for free?  She tried a few things with very little success.  Both parties running XP and both parties behind routers.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 05:07:50 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
My wife has been looking for a way to do good audio for free for awhile and has pretty much given up.  Most of the stuff won't work for shit past a router.  With MSN they can share webcam video with no problem, but the voice does not work at all.  She won't use teamspeak because the quality of the audio is not good enough for her.  I figure we could setup a teamspeak server somehow (I don't know how) and that might work better, but I don't know if we have the bandwidth anymore with our cable line generally playing 2 mmogs and a third downloading stuff and running video feed over MSN.  It also does not help that I can't really troubleshoot the whole thing as her friend in california has the attention span of a gnat when it comes to technical problems and will change the topic a few minutes into any tech help attempt.

Is there any good peer to peer software out there for voice and/or webcam video for free?  She tried a few things with very little success.  Both parties running XP and both parties behind routers.

Apple iChat works great for video/audio conferencing. Can even be used to communicate with AIM users on Windows too...

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Vehementi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 01:18:19 PM

Er, the teamspeak voice quality is nearly perfect if you use the right codecs.  What about that alternative to teamspeak... Ventrilo, or something?

... or not.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 05:23:32 AM

http://www.skype.com/ may be decent.  I've never used it and didn't bother reading to find out if it supports more then two people at once.  I just noticed some people on the trillian forums whining about wanting a Skype plugin.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AOL does... HUH? WHAT?  
Jump to: