Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Movie  (Read 24568 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 11, 2004, 07:01:26 AM

Unless you are one who creams their jeans over the whole Warcraft setting, I see nothing in there to make me think it'll be anything other than EQ with Warcraft skins, and some more quests.

WoW will release with an order of magnitude less quests than EQ.  The number of quests in EQ is fucking staggering.  The only difference is that WoW weighs exp toward quest completion.  EQ gives pretty minor exp for quest completion and quests are usually for gear.  Since people only want the best gear, it renders 90% of EQs quests pretty moot and to the category of 'for fun only'.

The problem with WoW is that a WHOLE lot of the quests suck ass.  Stardard kill shit missions.  Go here kill that.  It is like calling DAOC quest based leveling because they had the kill quests.

All it will boil down to is:  Is combat fun and innovative.  If that is a no, I won't even buy it.  I have friends who can tell me the answer to that question, probably before the game goes live.  So far what I am hearing is that combat is standard EQ/DAOC combat with less downtime.  I hear the quests force pickup groups most of the time and the low downtime means everyone is in a hurry in the groups and nobody talks (this reminds me of AO from my experiences).  I don't want to say I am in favor of forced downtime... I don't know what I am saying really.  But there is something to say about taking a breather to chat or wisecrack, at least until they implement full voice in mmogs.  As things stand, my biggest challenge in most mmog games is finding the time to type up my smartass comments during battle.  COH has abit of the 'no time to chat' problem as well IMO.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2004, 07:01:53 AM

Quote from: Sky
You can't bitch about player population from a movie recorded during a beta test phase, can you? Well, I guess you can.

However, if I have a quest where I need to work through a dungeon and kill 1000 foozles in order to get the Black Widget of Doom to finish a quest, I don't mind as much.

I get to foozle #20 or so and that's where I get bored by the repetition and log out to play a fun game.

Me, too. Dungeon or no.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Volm

Email
Reply #37 on: June 15, 2004, 08:35:55 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
Quote from: schild

Quote from: Morphiend

In a group these kind of quests can take a bit longer, but the longest I have ever sat at one spawn as 20 minutes, and that was in a group of 6.

Ding, wrong answer. In a quest that requires quest objects that a group can join together on, everyone should get the drop the first time. That better be changed.

Well, it depends on the type of quest.

In most cases, quest items drop for the whole group, first time. But there is one type of quest, where you are tasked with say, Gather 5 arm bands from the Scarlett Crusade.
In this case, they are semi rare drops, where you get the arm band drop about 1 in 3 kills. These type of quest do not share the quest drop items. Now, Im not sure why only in this case they dont.

If you need a unique item (Like "Lord Soanso's Head"), it will drop for all players. If you need a set of items (40 yeti legs, etc.) then the item will drop randomly, and whoever is up to loot has a chance of obtaining the item. However, if someone in the group does not need the item (they're done with the quest, or for some reason do not have the quest) and the item is on their creature, then that item becomes free for all loot. So as group members complete the requirements for the collection quest, the ones who have yet to complete the quest get drops much more frequently.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #38 on: June 17, 2004, 02:27:52 PM

WOW that movie looks awesome i cant wait till WOW comes out
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39 on: June 17, 2004, 02:29:07 PM

Have we allowed this joke to run its course yet?

-Rasix
Johnson101

Email
Reply #40 on: June 17, 2004, 02:33:36 PM

its not a joke... WOW is being made by blizzard and blizz > everyone else
schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: June 17, 2004, 02:41:04 PM

You're funnier when your sentences make no sense.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #42 on: June 17, 2004, 02:46:39 PM

Yes, Blizzard can do no wrong.  

Well, except for the part where they decided to make a MMORPG.

It's sort of like that old philosophy question about what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object.

Let me write up a crude diagram of the result:

Code:
Before                    =M=
                             =M=
                             =O=
Blizzard -=->          =R=
 \                          =P=
"We are perfect!"     =G=
--------------------
After                     =M=
      i        d            =M=
 B        a                =O=
  z                      =R=
   l       r r             =P=
"Ohh! THE PAIN!"  =G=

I could probably do better if I had a pirated copy of photoshop like everybody else does, but I'm somewhat against borrowing multi-hundred dollar copies of software.    Besides, that would involve finding and manipulating horrifying pictures of major disasters.

Anonymous

Email
Reply #43 on: June 17, 2004, 02:52:25 PM

Apparently Blizzard hit the MMOG wall so hard, one of the z's became an r.

That's pain.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #44 on: June 17, 2004, 02:54:45 PM

ya i agree MMOS are kind of ghey but o well what can u do id rather play SC2 but o well
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: June 17, 2004, 02:55:34 PM

Quote from: Johnson101
ya i agree MMOS are kind of ghey but o well what can u do id rather play SC2 but o well

You're a bot, right?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #46 on: June 17, 2004, 02:57:45 PM

I'm guessing he's a Perl script that pulls random phrases from Blizzard forums.  Or Boog.

-Rasix
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 17, 2004, 02:59:19 PM

Just out of curiousity, johnson101, you do know World of Warcraft will require a credit card to pay probably about $15/mo mandatory subscription, right?

I just thought I'd mention that since it's usually the sticking point for those of certain credentials such that would make them a Blizzard.net regular.

Johnson101

Email
Reply #48 on: June 17, 2004, 03:07:50 PM

well duh im not a n00b lol o and its battle.net
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 17, 2004, 03:08:28 PM

Whoops, right you are, color me p0wn3d.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 17, 2004, 03:15:00 PM

well duh im not a n00b lol o and its battle.net

Garble
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 17, 2004, 04:12:55 PM

Nah.   Maybe Net Rat or L'Enfant Provocateur .  He just speaks in tongues as is the style of certain websites, younger pirating circles, or simply people just plain too lazy (or entertaining notions of l33t) to type whole words.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: June 17, 2004, 04:13:46 PM

He is a gimmick account. He has got to be. Even the Blizzard fanboi is not THAT stupid.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #53 on: June 17, 2004, 04:23:26 PM

o well even if i am a fanboi i still play good games cuz blizz makes good games so stfu plz k thx
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 17, 2004, 04:30:57 PM

cuz blizz makes good games

Nobody's perfect.   Here's some Blizzard titles you may not be aware of...

The Death and Return of Superman! (SNES) - Never played it.  Looks like a generic 2d Super-hero platformer.   Guess I wouldn't turn down DC's money either.

Blackthorne (PC, SNES, Sega 32x, Gameboy) - Basically a Prince of Persia clone... except he's got a gun!  Arguably POP was better.

Rock & Roll Racing (SNES, Genesis, GBA) - Also never played it.  Looks like an isometric 2d combat racing game with NES quality graphics.

Though I should give them credit.   Those are relatively well rated, and some games they developed that weren't RTS knock-offs of Westwood's Dune II (well okay so Westwood lost that lawsuit) like Warcraft and Starcraft ultimately began.   Diablo I have to give them credit for - although there are some elements of Roguelike games there, that's a good thing.   Now I see a lot of copying of Diablo's item system (Shadowbane, Divine Divinity), so I guess what goes around comes around.

Still, all that said, it is hard to burn the Blizzard, so to speak.   They've got a pretty good track record going for them.   Why, oh why, did they ever decide to go MMORPG is beyond me.   Eh, Squaresoft pulled it off quite well with FFXI, so perhaps World of Warcraft isn't doomed by default.

Johnson101

Email
Reply #55 on: June 17, 2004, 04:43:50 PM

it doesnt rly sound that bad to me it sounds fun
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #56 on: June 17, 2004, 04:59:13 PM

it doesnt rly sound that bad to me it sounds fun

Ok, this has run it course. Ban please.
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: June 17, 2004, 05:01:18 PM

I don't know, I think the gimmick evolved from Pyro -> Pai Rho (at corp) -> Pyromancing (here) -> Ubern00b -> Johnson101. That's just speculation. The problem is he hasn't spread his gibberish across enough threads (or managed to make sense or stay on topic). So it's less humorous. Of course, what should I expect...
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 17, 2004, 05:17:27 PM

Rock & Roll Racing was a very fun game when I was younger. Nice running around the track blasting things with missiles and such and upgrading your car, had all sorts of cool and tough maps and the music and voice was pretty good also.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #59 on: June 17, 2004, 05:42:41 PM

um u cant ban me.. i like didnt do anything wrong... dont u ppl have rulz?
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 17, 2004, 06:02:55 PM

I seem to remember one of the rules, it went something like, "Spotanious bannings will occur on fully undeserving parties in order to instill proper fear in the masses."

Once in awhile they'd hold a poll so we can vote on somebody to spontaniously ban for no good reason.  I seem to remember Raph (developer on Star Wars Galaxies) was highly nominated on the last such poll.    Per usual, I nominated myself.    It wasn't until I slung a particularly impressive bit of neo-liberal idiocy did I myself manage to become 1-day banned, whereupon I immediately threw a hissyfit and promised never to return again!

Course, that was back in the Waterthread days.   Much of the #hate has been deported to where it will not torment unsuspecting pop culture as readily.   I know not if such barbed banzoration is still in the mix, though I wager it'd take very little to provoke a quick answer.

You see, the thingy is, IRL, message boards are run by real people who pay real bandwidth bills to suffer the presence of their various visitors.   They can and will ban whoever they want at any time.

Johnson101

Email
Reply #61 on: June 17, 2004, 06:09:20 PM

Ok, stop going off-topic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: June 17, 2004, 06:09:58 PM

I'd read your post but I'm too busy chillin with my bitches on my gold yacht on the streets of San Andreas.

Johnson, this was a thread made just to showcase a WoW movie that could have been put in any other WoW thread, it was derailed before it was even started.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 17, 2004, 06:13:40 PM

Color me p0wn3d again.

Okay, going back on topic:

I know we've got three bars - Health, Mana, and "Special Moves" in Worlds of Warcraft.   Then you've got the Griffin train, and of course the Warcraft universe itself.    Anything particularly innovative about what Worlds of Warcraft is pulling off?   Now, their April Fools Joke would have refreshingly different, if alas a terribly flawed concept.

Johnson101

Email
Reply #64 on: June 17, 2004, 06:42:47 PM

It's good because blizzard is making it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: June 17, 2004, 06:45:14 PM

That's easily one of the funniest quotes ever. It's applicable to everything.

"Hey, did you try that new Buffalo Pizza from Pizza Hut?"

"It's good because Blizzard is making it."

See what I'm doing there? Eh, eh?
Johnson101

Email
Reply #66 on: June 17, 2004, 06:53:05 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Unless you are one who creams their jeans over the whole Warcraft setting, I see nothing in there to make me think it'll be anything other than EQ with Warcraft skins, and some more quests.

WoW will release with an order of magnitude less quests than EQ.  The number of quests in EQ is fucking staggering.  The only difference is that WoW weighs exp toward quest completion.  EQ gives pretty minor exp for quest completion and quests are usually for gear.  Since people only want the best gear, it renders 90% of EQs quests pretty moot and to the category of 'for fun only'.

The problem with WoW is that a WHOLE lot of the quests suck ass.  Stardard kill shit missions.  Go here kill that.  It is like calling DAOC quest based leveling because they had the kill quests.

All it will boil down to is:  Is combat fun and innovative.  If that is a no, I won't even buy it.  I have friends who can tell me the answer to that question, probably before the game goes live.  So far what I am hearing is that combat is standard EQ/DAOC combat with less downtime.  I hear the quests force pickup groups most of the time and the low downtime means everyone is in a hurry in the groups and nobody talks (this reminds me of AO from my experiences).  I don't want to say I am in favor of forced downtime... I don't know what I am saying really.  But there is something to say about taking a breather to chat or wisecrack, at least until they implement full voice in mmogs.  As things stand, my biggest challenge in most mmog games is finding the time to type up my smartass comments during battle.  COH has abit of the 'no time to chat' problem as well IMO.

lol no they arent go there kill that they are actually fun and complex learn ur sh1t gg no re thx
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #67 on: June 17, 2004, 07:02:54 PM

lol no they arent go there kill that they are actually fun and complex learn ur sh1t gg no re thx

Johnson101

Email
Reply #68 on: June 17, 2004, 07:11:06 PM

im tired of all u other game fanbois
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 17, 2004, 07:18:17 PM

um u cant ban me.. i like didnt do anything wrong... dont u ppl have rulz?

We are the rules, bubba.

And you must be gimmick, there are no spaces in plzkthx. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Movie  
Jump to: