Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Random update on my game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random update on my game  (Read 2851 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: April 24, 2006, 10:33:34 PM

So, I'm converting to 3D.

I've been really lazy recently, combined with playing FFXI, working, going on vacation, etc I've barely done anything the past two months. However I havea new rule for myself, can't play any games unless I work on my own game first, so I'm getting back into the groove.

I've turned my map into 3d and have the camera set up to follow the cursor around. After that I need to convert my unit markers to 3d (pretty simple) and all the 2d effects into 3d. The game logic is separated well from the display logic so that doesn't need any touching, just the graphics.

I hope to have something playable in the next month or so....I think I said that 6 months ago but whatever... :)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:13:21 PM

Any particular goal on platform - cell phone, web game etc?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:04:43 PM

PC game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:44:08 PM

How did you "play test" to see if the kind of system you are implementing is "fun"?  Or are you going with gut feel?

"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:59 PM

I had a working 2D version with a few units in it. (You can see screens here: http://www.geocities.com/margalisix)

It's fun in the same way games like Chess, Checkers and Stratego are fun. With very little implemented it's mostly about things like formations, space control, etc. As I add more stuff like units moving slower over water, etc, that should add to the complexity. Even with just a few units implemented and with crappy controls and such it was pretty fun, even playing against myself.

At the core it's really a multi-player centric tactics/strategy game like an old SSI game or something like that. With the advent of everyone using the internet all the time I see a void there that isn't being filled.

Right now I am converting to 3D for a couple of reasons:

1: I am using Java and the framerate is much better for 3D stuff.

2: Complex terrain introduced persepctive problems where units would be hidden by hills. I noticed that in most psuedo-3d games I had played like Tactics Ogre the levels were *always* liad out so that high terrain was torwards to the top of the screen and low terrain towards the bottom. But in a multiplayer game I might want somewhat symmetrical maps so that is out.

3: Graphically I can accomplish a lot more with procedural graphics (Stuff like particle systems) than I can with 2d graphics.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:23:35 PM

Interesting.

Sorta off topic I envy what you are doing.  I get the urge to "create" things - painting, device, program - but I don't have the skills for it.  Graffiti will have to suffice for now :)

What's your goal here may I ask - persona enjoyment - or something that could be parlayed over the internet for others to use?  Do you see this as something that if popular could build a name for yourself - or as something that if popular enough will generate revenue?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:25:50 PM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:25:22 PM

It is a client-server setup, the goal is people can play it over the net. Whether or not anyone will is a different story. It's just for fun but if I can get it to the point where people play it awesome.

Right now you can connect to a server and play but one machine plays both sides, to make it easy for me to test. I will have some updated 3d screens soon.

sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:37:34 AM

Old SSI games?  Man, you have my attention!  Just don't put out another freaking poker game.  I'm swamped with idiot friends that think Texas Holdem' was invented by some fucking game programmer.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Random update on my game  
Jump to: