Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Jimmy John's Sandwiches! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jimmy John's Sandwiches!  (Read 4604 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 09, 2004, 03:13:21 PM

There's one of these opening up soon right near me. Some of the comments on the net are positive, but those people could eat their own shit as far as I know. Has anyone been to one of their couple thousand franchise locations? And is it good? I have a hankering for a good sandwich every day.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:17:36 PM

None of those over in the west coast, it would seem.  

Tried to find them on the web.   Ended up with a bunch of "Franchise" links.   So, safe to say that Jimmy John's sandwiches is a largely franchised effort, and likely varies in quality the same way as would a McDonald's from one location to the next.

Reviews tend to vary between awesome subs and overpriced generic crap.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:28:02 PM

Hrm, there's one near my house, the sandwiches are good.

Just good.  The bread is fantastic.  You might here that it's overpriced, but the prices seemed reasonable to me, 4-5 dollars for a sandwich.

Essentially, it's what you would make at home, given time, good bread, and motivation.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 07:19:17 AM

Do you have "Panera Bread" where you are at Schild?  I find they have really good sandwitches (again mainly due to the bread).

Asking for a food review is so touch and go.  Everyone has different tastes and there isn't really any way to determine what tastes are 'right' or not.  There are people in this world that LOVE cooked spinach and liver.  That is all I need to know to never ask anyone else what they like unless I know them and their food tastes personally.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 08:08:43 AM

Schild, you ate the Buffalo Chicken Pizza and LIKED it. You could probably eat concrete and if it was spiced well enough, you'd dig it.

I haven't heard of this joint, though, so can't say one way or the other.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 08:53:35 AM

Jimmy John's differs a lot by location, the one in Austin, TX I knew of was fantastic. The one in Athens, GA I knew of was just good. The bread seems to be the consistently good thing about the place. As a side note, the one in Athens sold the day old bread for about a $1 a loaf if memory serves, so I'd usually snag some of that to make my own sandwiches with for less. That may just be that one however.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 10:50:42 AM

Quote from: Paelos
Jimmy John's differs a lot by location, the one in Austin, TX I knew of was fantastic. The one in Athens, GA I knew of was just good.

The Jimmy John's that I remember from Michigan State were absolutely killer, relatively cheap (aka moderately priced for any college kid without a trust fund), and they delivered throughout the entire campus and surrounding area.

Of course, back in those days we used to get drunk, go to this mexican restaurant that served their famous 2-pound burrito...either that or get hammered on drinks at Bilbo's Pizza and then order the most artery-clogging pizza on the menu. So keep in mind that my sense of taste may not have been what it is today.

If in doubt, wash it down with beer and you'll be fine.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03:45 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Jimmy John's differs a lot by location, the one in Austin, TX I knew of was fantastic. The one in Athens, GA I knew of was just good.

The Jimmy John's that I remember from Michigan State were absolutely killer, relatively cheap (aka moderately priced for any college kid without a trust fund), and they delivered throughout the entire campus and surrounding area.

Of course, back in those days we used to get drunk, go to this mexican restaurant that served their famous 2-pound burrito...either that or get hammered on drinks at Bilbo's Pizza and then order the most artery-clogging pizza on the menu. So keep in mind that my sense of taste may not have been what it is today.

If in doubt, wash it down with beer and you'll be fine.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............

I guess the dining options at most universities in the midwest are very similar.  I know SIU and U of I both had similar sub shops to Jimmy Johns as well as a place called Burritos as Big as Your Head.  The restaurant title alone was worth hours of drug induced contemplation.  Unfortunately, I was never able to finish one of them.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 07:26:23 AM

The one here in Des Moines is nothing special.  Good sandwiches for $4-6.  I wouldn't eat them everyday though.  I'd put them a couple of notches above Subway and Blimpies.  

I agree with whoever posted Panera.  Their sandwiches are higher priced ($5-7) but the bread is as good as it gets and the other ingredients seem fresher.  Plus they have great soups and salads to eat on the side.

They are expensive though.  Did I mention they were expensive?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 07:36:39 AM

Yea, I don't see Panera coming to College Park, MD - aka The Ghetto. Jimmy John's just put one of their "nice car" things on my car today - on the back is a menu. It's definately a nicer sandwich shop than Subway or Pot Belly's. I'm gonna try it out, opens this monday and the prices are cheaper than comparable Subway subs. Yay for competition.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 08:10:07 AM

Panera's black bean soup in a bread bowl can't be beat.

And the Burrito's As Big as Your Head place is called http://www.labambaburritos.com/
">La Bamba's. I've only eaten there twice and I've never been brave enough to even try their biggest burrito. The first time I got the second biggest and ate the whole thing and thought I might have to go purge in order to move.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 08:15:30 AM

Chipotle also used the catch phrase "Burritos as big as your head" as well as the phrase "The last time we wrapped something this big, it was illegal."
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 09:21:05 AM

I'm amazed, I didn't think there could be a franchise that sounded more redneck then Kentucky Fried Chicken, and here Jimmy Johns prove me all wrong...

What's next? Billy-Jo's and Bubbas pizza-palace?!

Wiiiiii!
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 09:22:05 AM

If you're ever in Austin, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, or College Station, look up a place called Freebirds. Huge burritos. I've eaten their Supermonster once. It took me 3 quarters of a Superbowl to eat it. I spent the 4th quarter just laying there like a snake that ate a hippo.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 09:25:26 AM

Being from Texas originally, I will agree with the Freebird's reccomendation. They make a killer burrito, and I usually get the monster, which is enough for a big guy to take down in one sitting. It's about 8-9 inches long and I get it rolled fat with chicken mexican rice, refried beans, salsa, hot sauce, lime, and cilantro. The Super Monster is absurd, and I've never had the hunger/balls to order one. The only man I've seen finish it in one sitting was a Longhorn football player.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 09:56:55 AM

Quote from: Rodent
I'm amazed, I didn't think there could be a franchise that sounded more redneck then Kentucky Fried Chicken, and here Jimmy Johns prove me all wrong...

What's next? Billy-Jo's and Bubbas pizza-palace?!

We have a Billy-Joe's here.  It is a 1/2 karoeke (sp) bar and 1/2 movie theater that you can eat and drink in.  They show a lot of Rocky Horror there.

Redneck in name, not so redneck in offerings.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 12:23:56 PM

Quote from: UD_Delt
Panera's black bean soup in a bread bowl can't be beat.

And the Burrito's As Big as Your Head place is called http://www.labambaburritos.com/
">La Bamba's. I've only eaten there twice and I've never been brave enough to even try their biggest burrito. The first time I got the second biggest and ate the whole thing and thought I might have to go purge in order to move.

Ahh your right, that was just their slogan not the store name.  I may have to swing by there one day when I am back visiting.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 12:25:59 PM

I wonder how those "burritos as big as your head" compare to a "Burrito Dos Manos" at Baja Fresh.

Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 05:20:33 PM

I usually get the monster, which is enough for a big guy to take down in one sitting. It's about 8-9 inches long

At least he bought you a burrito first.

/rimshot

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Jimmy John's Sandwiches!  
Jump to: